Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Faust IX posted:

That's a fairly...dark...answer if it is. But then again, how many ways have we nearly gotten thrown into the basement trying to get into room 45? Or at least derailed into getting into a path that would lead you to room 24.

An amusing speculation if it's the right sentence, even though I know this can't possibly be the right answer: The Maze's riddle, as stated in the OP itself, is solved in four very specific words. I have no idea what they actually ARE, but if it is "What house will we all live in?", I think the answer might be [The House] Of The Rising Sun. The guide is averse to sunlight, as he claims in the beginning room and a few of the outside rooms, it's the ruin of many a poor unfortunate sap who gets lured into the basement, and The Maze is nothing but the ultimate gamble, isn't it?

I didn't mean it in the sens of "Everyone dies!" I meant it in the sense of "Who would live here?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Ariamaki posted:

Ideally, once we've gone through everything, perhaps somebody could throw together a coherent image gallery of -just- the rooms we've figured out as being the path, making it easier to re-sift for clues?

Either way, 23

The path so far is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3675404&userid=208356#post437997266

Disco_Bandit
Sep 8, 2006

i81icu812 posted:

Yeah, I think that's it. A coherent sentence using all of the clues in order. Lord only knows how you'd get that without the clues though...

Looking at the path riddle. Per hyper crab tank...

'Like Atlas, you bear [something] upon your...'
'Something' almost makes sense in context. Perhaps 'it'? No clue how to make heads or tails of the room 4

In the next room I'm trying to figure out what else could even be construed as letters. The chair in the background could be an h, which would make the ELL in the maze drawing make an actual word. Atlas didn't carry hell though, and "hell" as we know it didn't really exist in that mythology. If it's no longer strictly about letters or words with the inclusion of the bear, it makes me think the maze is playing dirty in this particular room because "hell" doesn't really fit with it, unless you got some dark understanding of the entirety of being and existence being hell but that seems a little out there.

Still, I think the answer to the undecided "what will all/none live in" riddle we've come up with would likely be the planet or heavens, like what Atlas carried.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
If we think the bear is a clue, then maybe it'll help if we just list everything that's in room 4 to see if anything pops up as suspicious.

I see: wheels/axles/plugs/pegs, (split) logs, axe, sun/face/smile, stars, sky/heavens/night, candle/wick, matches, gavel, plank, two nails, maze/labyrinth, hands/lights/torches, chair. None of those words fit outright. Grimwit suggested that the light itself was a clue... I'm not seeing what that could be in reference to, though. Any ideas?

Disco_Bandit
Sep 8, 2006

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

If we think the bear is a clue, then maybe it'll help if we just list everything that's in room 4 to see if anything pops up as suspicious.

I see: wheels/axles/plugs/pegs, (split) logs, axe, sun/face/smile, stars, sky/heavens/night, candle/wick, matches, gavel, plank, two nails, maze/labyrinth, hands/lights/torches, chair. None of those words fit outright. Grimwit suggested that the light itself was a clue... I'm not seeing what that could be in reference to, though. Any ideas?

Well, lots in the room that casts a shadow can be talked about in a similar way. Split wood, the candle is unlit, you sit in a chair, hit a nail with a hammer. Maybe it's supposed to be "it"? That'd fit (heh) with the phrase so far, but I don't really see how you'd get there and I feel like this explanation is a huge stretch because it doesn't include the sconces or signs, which are also casting a shadow. It also doesn't include the super obvious E L L which is staring us right in the face :(

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I don't quite know what it means, but it almost seems that in Room 4, if you split a LOG (as the axe is doing) you get L - OG. Take out the ell (in the maze), and you get 'OG', or GO BACK. Maybe it's a pattern showing the wrong direction to go (3 of the doors lead to death, one to the ground floor), or maybe I'm reading into things that aren't there.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
To business. Everyone seems to agree our next room should be...

Room 23

…a room with three other doors. Looking out the windows my feet crushed something on the floor.

“Watch your step here,” I warned them. I’m always ready to be helpful with the less important things.

“Look at those two trees out there,” one said, looking over my shoulder, which is not easy to do.

“Must be a real wind coming up.”

Now they realized that it could rain where they were going.

“We should have brought that bumbershoot with us from the coat room…”

“Which room was that?”

“You remember, the one with the animal…”

I suggested that we take the door on my right and they realized they had found the door they had been seeking for so long, the entrance to…

Ah, 23. Never has such a number been so undeserving of conspiracy. Numbers are easy to misinterpret in this room. Take that window, for example.

This room brings us just a little closer to the end of our journey, because we don't really have to get back to Room 1, with the way this map is laid out, rather explore the shortest path of 16 steps.

Speaking of which, let's take a look at our map.

There are two options. We can go back and explore Door 38*ahem* Door 32, knowing it's the wrong way.
Or, we can press on to Door 8 being the only unexplored way forward.
You're choice.

You have roughly 24 hours.

Grimwit fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 25, 2014

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg
38: It would be a huge anticlimax to end this on a dead-end room with no value. Let's trim them as we find them.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Room 38. From what has been said, it's effectively choosing BOTH options.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Iunnrais posted:

Room 38. From what has been said, it's effectively choosing BOTH options.

That was last time. :ssh:

Twisted Eye
Jan 6, 2011

people posted:

Room 38

stoooop nnnoooooo

Nice try, Grimwit! The ladder goes to room 32, not room 38. let's not go back into the basement please.

Room 8.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Twisted Eye posted:

Nice try, Grimwit! The ladder goes to room 32, not room 38. let's not go back into the basement please.

Room 8.

Ha ha ha! This is what happens when you're updating and watching Twin Peaks with your friends at the same time.
I've gone back and fixed it.

Sorry 'bout that.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Grimwit posted:

You're choice.

:nallears:

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Yeah, 32. Save the route for later.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
The scroll seems to be indicating words that precede 'now', whereas the tablets are references the ten commandments? Something with the rhyming of thou and now? Or something else?

Ah, I see how the window could be a trap number because of the 9 combined with ten, as 19 doesn't seem to lead anywhere special out of the maze.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Due to *Ahem* reasons, I will be taking all votes for Door 38 to mean Door 32.

That means we'll be waltzing right into...

Room 32

…a large square room with a hole rudely broken through one wall. It must have taken a great deal of strength to pull the heavy stones out of position.

The symmetry was also disturbed by the apparent loss of one of the room’s statues. My visitors thought a thief had broken into the room, removed the figure, and made away with it. This, of course, was one explanation.

“Another one!” they cried.

“You mean another representative of the animal kingdom?” I asked.

“What is a bird like that doing here?”

“Roosting, evidently.” Their attitude was really beginning to irritate me. I have come to think of all the inhabitants of this House as members of my little kingdom. People can be so arrogant…in a very real way we are all of us animals, at least in part.

I wouldn’t answer any more of their questions so we left this room to enter…

Yes... Well, the annagrahm here is sort of silly, since we're not staying anyway. The only choice left is...

Room 8

…a vaulted chamber lit by a single bulb.

Someone knocked a bowl off the table. The crash echoed from the ceiling and whispered away down the corridors. I broke another on purpose.

“Make sure to take that with you,” I said. “You can never tell when you might need it.”

“Take what?” they wanted to know.

“Isn’t it obvious?”

Taking a vote among themselves they went on to…

The texts doesn't match the picture here, but that is on purpose. It's just part of the them, I say.

There are two letters here, I think. The trouble is it's one extra more than needed, unless we ignore one of the letters which is an extra anyway. That came off confusing. I'm sorry.

Let's take a look at our map.

Alright, here's the deal. There are two doors and your choice will depend on how you want the ending to play out, so I will label these very carefully.

In front of us, the only door not taken is Door 12. If you choose this door, we will finish the maze by Thursday.

Back in Room 29, there is Door 2. If you vote for this door, the Maze will be fully explored by tomorrow.

Either way, when we're done, I will outline the Quickest path, 16 steps, as well as post the first Solution Video.

So again, Door 12 to fill in the Maze in two days, or Door 2 will fill out the maze tomorrow.

The choice is yours.

You have roughly 24 hours.

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg
Door 12. Let's make this a holiday event, to boot, and finish on Thanksgiving / the weekend thereof.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Door 2

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Door 12! Let's make this linger!

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
Naw, let Grimwit have his holiday doing something other than the SomethingAwful dot Com forums. Door 2

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Door 2.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Door 2, because I am impatient and antsy.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Can someone do a summary of what we've analysed? Honestly the only 'clue' in this entire thread that has seemed sensible to me is the 24 T R A P stalactite.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Door 2, so you finish this tomorrow, which is Thursday.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I vote we go easy on our host. Room 2

Grimwit posted:

Someone knocked a bowl off the table. The crash echoed from the ceiling and whispered away down the corridors. I broke another on purpose.

“Make sure to take that with you,” I said. “You can never tell when you might need it.”

“Take what?” they wanted to know.

“Isn’t it obvious?”

It sure is!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS3Jl2Q1eFM

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
I'm pretty sure it's the umbrella

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Door 2. There's no need to drag this out.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Don't post solution videos immediately! Let the thread try to puzzle through once the maze is fully mapped. Give it at least a few days of thinking.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Can someone do a summary of what we've analysed? Honestly the only 'clue' in this entire thread that has seemed sensible to me is the 24 T R A P stalactite.

Seconded. I have no idea where anyone is getting these clues from. Could someone please explain it? :shobon:

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
Door 2

AutistTree
Mar 28, 2010
Door 2 please.

Disco_Bandit
Sep 8, 2006

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Wandering Knitter posted:

Seconded. I have no idea where anyone is getting these clues from. Could someone please explain it? :shobon:

Going off of a post by hyper crab tank outlining the rooms taken to get to the center of the maze here, we have been speculating on the symbols we found in this particular path. If the rooms we had are right, we have so far constructed a phrase about Atlas, "Like Atlas you bear (something?) upon..." is what we're thinking so far and it fits too well together and in the proper room order to just be a coincidence, but could certainly still be a red herring. A lot of the discussion about this particular aspect of the maze begins on page 16 and 17.

However, there's a ton of stuff alone in room 45 that I'm not even going to touch, that discussion has been happening at the same time as this other one, which could be confusing. People have been getting out of room 45 something about "a house (either none or all) live in". Room 45 confuses the hell out of me and I'm fine to just talk about everything else :v: someone else could help you out more here.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

i81icu812 posted:

Don't post solution videos immediately! Let the thread try to puzzle through once the maze is fully mapped. Give it at least a few days of thinking.

If someone seconds this motion, I will give you guys a two day head start before I post the videos.

It's a five video series and I'll post one a day at 8:00pm Eastern time (when I normally update), so it would be three days until I get to the Maze's riddle once I begin.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Seconded. Let us try to solve as much as we can first.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

bawbzilla posted:

If the rooms we had are right, we have so far constructed a phrase about Atlas, "Like Atlas you bear (something?) upon..." is what we're thinking so far and it fits too well together and in the proper room order to just be a coincidence, but could certainly still be a red herring. A lot of the discussion about this particular aspect of the maze begins on page 16 and 17.

To elaborate on where exactly that comes from:

Room 1 had a banner with writing on it that when flipped around looked like the word "like". Room 26 has devils holding a saltshaker and the letter A. Salt+A backwards is "Atlas". In Room 30, the description of the room involves the phrase "Why O-U?", or "you". Room 42 has a bear in it (as well as a pair of scissors, a pair of dice, and a pear for some extra rhyming I guess?). No one is sure about room 4. "It" fits the sentence, but it could really be any noun. Room 29 has the letters "UP" and "ON" screaming at you, combining into "upon". Finally, room 17 has the phrase "Why oh ___ You are ___" on the wall, or Y-O-U-R - "your".

An issue I'm wondering about is... if we're right about this, what is the full sentence? There are like 9 more rooms to go. What sentence fits nine more words after "your"? Maybe there are two sentences we need to build. That seems odd - I would expect the first sentence to then have ended by the midpoint. Atlas carried the heavens on his back, so if we can find something in room 45 that spells "back" or "shoulders" or something maybe that would help confirm the theory.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 26, 2014

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Full of hot raspberry jam blooded passion.
Grimwit has said that Maze doesn't play fair.

I believe he understated that.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
This is like the Dangan Ronpa thread in miniature. Only less anime and more :psyduck:.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Pierzak posted:

Seconded. Let us try to solve as much as we can first.

Right-o. After the last of the 45 rooms is posted (soon) I'll take a break. I won't help with the riddles, but I may chime in with the Guide, since his identity is genuinely unknown to me. I actually don't think anyone has cracked the mystery of the guide. I mean, nowhere I've read anyway.

I kind of dreamed this would get put into the LPArchive, but most of the fun (from my POV) has been watching you guys figure it all out. Given the two day head start and the 5 days to post the solution videos, you'll have a week. You guys are pretty awesome at this. I'll put my money on you lot figuring out the riddle before I post the answer.

Side note: I was wondering if the Guide was Christopher Manson himself except I'm pretty sure the artist in Room 19 is already Manson. How can the guide be the author if he bumps into himself? Hmmm...

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
The riddle of room 45 and the book.

Grimwit posted:

Let me help. It's been a while, but in the "Dirrections" page...

Once you’ve found the shortest path in and out of the Maze, challenge yourself further. Go back and find the riddle hidden in room 45. The answer to that riddle is concealed somewhere on the shortest path.

Alright, where were we?

Note that the answer concealed along the shortest path appears to be another riddle and was not needed to win the prize.

Hints were provided for the riddle of room 45 by the publishers when they were running the contest.

1. I’ll tip my hat if the two of you can solve this.
2. You can get into these two shoes only if you don’t go anywhere.
3. You will find two names on the table, and they go together like doughnut and hole.
4. You must choose between two pictures.
5. There are no two ways you can read this sign.
6. You can see that another two pictures demonstrate their own kind of symmetry.

With the assumption that each clue refers to a word, we got:

1. I’ll tip my hat if the two of you can solve this.
What (two of you/'W' + hat picture)
2. You can get into these two shoes only if you don’t go anywhere.
House (anagram 'SHOE' + 'U' from the U-shaped horseshoe)
3. You will find two names on the table, and they go together like doughnut and hole.
Will (Woodrow ___sun + ___iam shakespear)
4. You must choose between two pictures.
All (Awl or Nun pictures)
5. There are no two ways you can read this sign.
Live (anagram ELVI sign. Also evil, vile, elvi,etc)
6. You can see that another two pictures demonstrate their own kind of symmetry.
In (eye picture + 'N'/'Z' picture)

Resulting in 'What house will all live in?' This uses all of the provided clues in order seems like a proper riddle. I don't think we've really speculated much on solutions to the riddle though.

None also fits in place of all, resulting in 'What house will none live in?'.

i81icu812 fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

To elaborate on where exactly that comes from:

Room 1 had a banner with writing on it that when flipped around looked like the word "like". Room 26 has devils holding a saltshaker and the letter A. Salt+A backwards is "Atlas". In Room 30, the description of the room involves the phrase "Why O-U?", or "you". Room 42 has a bear in it (as well as a pair of scissors, a pair of dice, and a pear for some extra rhyming I guess?). No one is sure about room 4. "It" fits the sentence, but it could really be any noun. Room 29 has the letters "UP" and "ON" screaming at you, combining into "upon". Finally, room 17 has the phrase "Why oh ___ You are ___" on the wall, or Y-O-U-R - "your".

An issue I'm wondering about is... if we're right about this, what is the full sentence? There are like 9 more rooms to go. What sentence fits nine more words after "your"? Maybe there are two sentences we need to build. That seems odd - I would expect the first sentence to then have ended by the midpoint. Atlas carried the heavens on his back, so if we can find something in room 45 that spells "back" or "shoulders" or something maybe that would help confirm the theory.

Hyper crab tank has been leading the charge with the path riddle, I'm just going to add the pictures of the path so far to his post:

• Locked thread