Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

First Bears game I went to, my buddy asked me what position I'd be playing if I were on the field. I told him I'd be the holder.

Couple minutes later, Bears line up for a field goal, holder receives the snap, stands up and runs it in for a touchdown.

#vindicated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Flikken posted:

I'd rather not go through a game without a kicker and punter again.

that reminds me of the onion sports bit where doc declared that his new years resolution is not to have a gun to his head again

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

goomf was loving perfect

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Jomboy did a breakdown of the ineligible man call in the Lions - Cowboys game from last week and he's got an interesting take. Both 70 and 68 on the Lions reported as eligible to try to confuse the defense but they just ended up confusing the refs who never saw 68 report as eligible.
https://youtu.be/AraxJaP0t8w?si=OQZ491rnn-lbIIUz

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I probably be a blocking TE. Everyone says I have the height of WR/TE. Just one problem. I can't catch for poo poo. Alligator arms.

also god drat JV has the worst luck. I felt bad thinking how long til he gets injured and.. not even in a game. Jeez.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

MJeff posted:

I think he's saying that somebody within the network is leaking incorrect and disparaging numbers about his show's ratings and the only person who would have the access and means to do so is Norby Williamson, an ESVP.

Williamson has had his job overseeing all studio shows and live sports on ESPN for over 18 years, so, uh. Probably not a guy you wanna pick a fight with on the air?

Also, uh.

Pat.

Hey Pat?

Why would you need ESVP access to be able to leak incorrect information?

Wasn’t Norby the puppet on the old Matthew Berry fantasy football show?

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Whooping Crabs posted:

Jomboy did a breakdown of the ineligible man call in the Lions - Cowboys game from last week and he's got an interesting take. Both 70 and 68 on the Lions reported as eligible to try to confuse the defense but they just ended up confusing the refs who never saw 68 report as eligible.
https://youtu.be/AraxJaP0t8w?si=OQZ491rnn-lbIIUz

Interesting in that it's not what happened?

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Shindragon posted:

I probably be a blocking TE. Everyone says I have the height of WR/TE. Just one problem. I can't catch for poo poo. Alligator arms.

also god drat JV has the worst luck. I felt bad thinking how long til he gets injured and.. not even in a game. Jeez.

my wingspan is fine i just got the tiny hands. i would get hand mogged by alex smith

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
i have tiny trump hands too :(

great for typing though

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Despera posted:

i have tiny trump hands too :(

great for typing though

yeah. i think i got up to 120 wpm at some point. but man when i played guitar it sucked rear end trying to wrap my hands around the neck and hit those chords. i should've never stuck with acoustic guitars

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39247718/aaron-rodgers-voted-most-inspirational-jets-teammates

quote:

Aaron Rodgers' first season with the New York Jets lasted only four plays, but he still made an impact. On Friday, he was voted by his teammates as the Jets' most inspirational player for the 2023 season.

"I've said it a million times: He loves his teammates, and his teammates love him," coach Robert Saleh said. "He's so intentional with how he approaches everybody in the building. He's very thoughtful in the way he does things, and he's a tremendous human. He's really well deserving of this award."

:jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag:

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I also have little hands. Is Ravens fandom shrinking our hands?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

i'll be the kickoff tee

Here comes Impossibly Perfect Sphere and his foot fetish again. :rolleyes:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I also have little hands. Is Ravens fandom shrinking our hands?

Ravens chat shrinks a man

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Silly Burrito posted:

Wasn’t Norby the puppet on the old Matthew Berry fantasy football show?

God, imagine how embarrassing it must be to have your nemesis be a dude named fuckin’ Norby

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Silly Burrito posted:

Ravens chat shrinks a man

Worth it.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Wasn't it a ravens fan who got on the air to say that Big Ben was playing like the dog that thirsts instead of the dog that refreshes?

If so it's top 3 posting lore fandoms.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

BlindSite posted:

Wasn't it a ravens fan who got on the air to say that Big Ben was playing like the dog that thirsts instead of the dog that refreshes?

If so it's top 3 posting lore fandoms.

Yeah I think that was Kawalimus actually

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Still got that dawg in em either way

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A94dmLthBHA

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

i'll be the kickoff tee

You can't be a tee you're a sphere.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

I bet there are plenty of cities that have never hosted a conference championship.

Detroit
Houston
Nashville

Also, the Jets have never hosted an AFC Championship Game, and Las Vegas hasn't held one yet.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Freaquency posted:

Yeah I think that was Kawalimus actually

Yeah it was fun :D and not the type of thing I'm normally good at. I came up with some argument that Ben Roethlisberger cost the Steelers the playoff game by playing hurt against the 49ers late in the season and then decorated the "post" with some jokes people suggested on here and the guy argued back with me instead of hanging up.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Scipiotik posted:

Interesting in that it's not what happened?

I mean his breakdown is pretty clear and matches the NFL’s video. 70 signaled as he was running on the field. He had his left hand in the air and rubbed his chest. I don’t know why people continue to act like that didn’t occur when it’s on film and both the NFL and independent media have pointed it out.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Kawalimus posted:

Yeah it was fun :D and not the type of thing I'm normally good at. I came up with some argument that Ben Roethlisberger cost the Steelers the playoff game by playing hurt against the 49ers late in the season and then decorated the "post" with some jokes people suggested on here and the guy argued back with me instead of hanging up.

Yea this has come up a lot this week in Steelers media when discussing the Ravens sitting starters. Tomlin has done both - played and sat starters once the playoffs are secured and it has both worked and backfired, it happened to Dungy a lot too.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Mr. Nice! posted:

I mean his breakdown is pretty clear and matches the NFL’s video. 70 signaled as he was running on the field. He had his left hand in the air and rubbed his chest. I don’t know why people continue to act like that didn’t occur when it’s on film and both the NFL and independent media have pointed it out.

quote:

Skipper did use hand signals that might have been misinterpreted by Allen as reporting eligibility, but Skipper says those were to identify personnel groupings for the offense. One arm was raised in the air with a flexed bicep, Detroit’s signal for a jumbo package, while the other hand was shaped like a gun near his chest, the signal for 12 personnel, a package that includes one running back, two tight ends and two receivers on the field.

Allen saw that while ignoring Decker and announced Skipper as the eligible receiver, but players didn’t know that because it was so loud at the sold-out AT&T Stadium. Head coach Dan Campbell also said he didn’t hear the announcement, and didn’t have a timeout to rectify the situation even if he had heard the error

As long as you ignore everything else that’s come out since then and only watch a fuzzy 10 second clip of video with no sound and decide to take the NFL at its word then sure, it’s very clear.

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2024/01/dan-skipper-fires-back-at-nfl-insists-he-was-signalling-in-personnel-grouping.html?outputType=amp

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

The signal was to his own team for a substitution. And frankly none of that matters anyway, because there's no way he could have verbally reported to the ref - whereas Decker clearly made both physical and verbal signals to the ref that he was reporting. Brad Allen is a dipshit who hosed up and there's no other way to spin this.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Mr. Nice! posted:

how do you know he was checking in and not saying "who else wants to rub my chest"

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
The ref totally got it right. The NFL is just demoting that officiating team for a separate, unmentioned reason.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Zurreco posted:

The ref totally got it right. The NFL is just demoting that officiating team for a separate, unmentioned reason.

That crew has had a few things before this incident going on this season that were worth demoting them.

I mean, they're just bad at their jobs as far as I can tell.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Zurreco posted:

Allen won't stop jackin' it in the employee bathroom and it's become a real problem

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 6, 2024

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Maybe refs ought to be former players

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Maybe refs ought to be full time professionals I dunno

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Get excited for another misadventure in zebra country. Allen and the gang are taking their talents to Baltimore in a few hours.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Zurreco posted:

They hosed up a lot of plays that game. The tripping penalty on the wrong team right after a first down on the previous drive was an example of a real egregious reffing error.

The lions trying and failing at subterfuge with eligibility (which is against the NFLs own intended rules requiring reporting) isn’t as bad as calling a penalty on one team when the other team committed the foul.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I thought the tripping on wrong team theory was debunked and it turned out it was cowboys

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

This year has been unkind to both groups "the refs are fixing games to help the Chiefs" and "the refs are fixing games to hurt the Chiefs"

This is how harmony is established

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

They hosed up a lot of plays that game. The tripping penalty on the wrong team right after a first down on the previous drive was an example of a real egregious reffing error.

The lions trying and failing at subterfuge with eligibility (which is against the NFLs own intended rules requiring reporting) isn’t as bad as calling a penalty on one team when the other team committed the foul.

The ref failing to notice the large man directly in front of him saying "I AM REPORTING" while rubbing his nipples - in between plays with zero time pressure - is spectacularly egregious, come the gently caress on. It's a basic process that teams do every single week, the only thing the ref needs to care about is "which player with giant numbers on his chest is talking to me right now"

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Mr. Nice! posted:

Man, being a cowboys fan really does things to a persons brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Man, being a cowboys fan really does things to a persons brain.

Hey, let ‘em cook. Watching them try to thread the needle with “refs bad, but not in this specific way” has been fascinating.