Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Bloodnose posted:

That's not what I said. You're not listening.

sorry I corrected this to be a direct quote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lady Galaga posted:

Street making GBS threads and/or little kids with poopy pants if your name rhymes with babe

omg lol

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
holy poo poo this is the real thread looool

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

goldboilermark posted:

holy poo poo this is the real thread looool

I realise this now and am upset at my poor judgement in posting geography.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Aero737 posted:

Welp, ask me about spending 6 hours detained by Chinese police for being a suspected terrorist.

I was at a park next to the Beijing airport taking some photos of airplanes as they landed. Well, I guess some guy thought I was up to no good because he called 110 and reported me. Police showed up and wanted my passport and to search my bags. Of course, I don't carry my passport with me everywhere so I did not have it. I told the police that I can't speak Chiense to them.

After standing in a field in the park for almost 2 hours waiting for their leader or someone who can speak English to arrive, they told me to get into their car and go to the station. They wouldn't let me leave nor would they explain why or what was happening. When I handed them my phone with someone who would translate, they refused to speak to them.

At the police station, I was taken to the basement, put into an interrogation cell which consisted of a room separated in half by bars and a steel chair whith foot restraints and a lap bar. They put me in the chair while a lot of people came to take pictures. Finally one of the investigators came to ask me a lot of questions, mostly all in Chinese.

They then told me I would be detained for up to 8 hours and I was allowed one phone call to family or a friend. I had no clue if I should call the embassy or not (In the end I figured it would be useless, they would likely only ask if I was being treated poorly and tell me to listen to the police). They only told me I was being investigated for suspicious activity.

After almost 3 hours of questions, which included such gems as what my university address was in the USA, my entire working history, and activities of my friends and acquaintances in China. When I was presented with the transcript of my interrogation, the first question they "asked" was if I needed a translator which they said I declined. Their reasoning was they could speak enough English (they couldn't) and that I could speak enough Chinese (I didn't speak any).

After my bag was searched, a special team came to check my belongings with a bunch of scanning equipment. They told me I did nothing wrong but they had to make a report because someone called 110. I was released about 11:30 in the middle of bumfuck nowhere.

The following day, the entry exit bureau showed up at my work and had a discussion with me and my employer. They again said I did nothing wrong but they had to speak to my employer. Now my company is pissed off at me because the police chewed them out.

Moral of the story.. Don't leave your gooncave. Ever.

Edit: Also don't bring a turtle because either A) This will happen to you or B) They will eat your turtle.

That really sucks. I was almost detained once for trespassing in a military zone but my employers were with us and talked us out of it.

I imagine those police had no idea what they were doing and had to go back and forth to a guide book. I'm sure most police in China don't know what to do with foreigners other than take their picture, which they did, and bust them for drugs, which they couldn't do at that time. Most people I know who get detained get a chance to bribe their way out. A coworker of mine did after he got detained for drunkenly kicking a cone outside the Iranian consulate but I guess with the recent attacks they can't just do that anymore.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Has anyone been given the third degree reentering the mainland on a completely legit and valid RP? I've never been questioned entering on a tourist visa but got a bit of hastle this summer returning back from a month long trip back home on my new RP.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Woodsy Owl posted:

Has anyone been given the third degree reentering the mainland on a completely legit and valid RP? I've never been questioned entering on a tourist visa but got a bit of hastle this summer returning back from a month long trip back home on my new RP.

It all depends on the person working the desk. I once got a 5 minute of hassling leaving China because the guy thought I didn't look like the picture on my passport. He didn't ask me any questions about my date of birth or other information, just "Is this you? Really?" over and over again. The immigration officers apparently get bonuses for catching people so they go out of their way to be assholes because they want you to slip up.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 15, 2014

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Is taking pictures of planes at an airport a british thing or something?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Baddog posted:

Is taking pictures of planes at an airport a british thing or something?

Please keep the racism out of this thread. We've made it 180 pages without any incidents until now.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

drat dude intense RCE :sweatdrop: Hope you don't get paranoia-fired.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Ok so exact dates I will be around:

Hong Kong: November 1st to 5th (Goonmeet? I know I owe some of you, especially meramjert, a round of drinks)
Shanghai: November 5th to 8th
Xi'an: 8th to 11th
Chengdu:11th to 15th (Foooooooooooooooooooood gooooooooooooooons)

Who should I PM to get this poo poo going?

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Ceciltron posted:

Who should I PM to get this poo poo going?

The answer to that is always "caberham."

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.
Aero, sorry you got China'd

I get down on my knees everyday and thank gods that I don't believe in that I'm no longer in China.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

You should probably see a psychiatrist.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

I knew the first response to that would be a fart simpson post.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

You could have been the change you desire.

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.

fart simpson posted:

You should probably see a psychiatrist.

Breathing the fresh air of freedom is all the therapy I need.

Anyways, I got a flood of qq messages in the last few weeks begging me to do something about the shitbag who replaced me at the university. Apparently, he had these sophomore English majors singing Christian fellowship songs to "learn English" after my year of phonetics, rhetoric, and public speaking classes. Sadly, my strongly worded letter to the guy didn't seem to have much effect. So sad. I do miss my classes. :(

E: also, lol at changing China

Spiderjelly fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 19, 2014

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I didn't like living in Los Angeles but I don't really think about it much anymore, because I don't live there anymore.

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.

fart simpson posted:

I didn't like living in Los Angeles but I don't really think about it much anymore, because I don't live there anymore.

Back to your baby poo poo waller, you.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Spiderjelly posted:

Anyways, I got a flood of qq messages in the last few weeks begging me to do something about the shitbag who replaced me at the university. Apparently, he had these sophomore English majors singing Christian fellowship songs to "learn English" after my year of phonetics, rhetoric, and public speaking classes. Sadly, my strongly worded letter to the guy didn't seem to have much effect. So sad. I do miss my classes. :(

This is why pirates are better than missionaries.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Also they have more money.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Spiderjelly posted:

Aero, sorry you got China'd

I get down on my knees everyday and thank gods that I don't believe in that I'm no longer in China.

So what ever ended up happening with you? All I remember is:
-Punched some Chinese dudes
-Went to Thailand
-BYOB

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Tell me: why do Chinese university students do military training?

Today at the uni I swim at they were doing this but it was lno different than Red Light/Green Light. They would walk in line and all have to halt in mid step. This is a game I played in kindergarten?

Guys this is literally something that the future of China is learning in university. They are playing Red Light Green Light. ...wtf

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

goldboilermark posted:

Today at the uni I swim at they were doing this but it was lno different than Red Light/Green Light. They would walk in line and all have to halt in mid step. This is a game I played in kindergarten?

Guys this is literally something that the future of China is learning in university. They are playing Red Light Green Light. ...wtf

You seem to go through life with more of a childlike understanding/amusement of the world than most other people, to be honest.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

goldboilermark posted:

Our students at the university in Beijing loathed their military training. They said it was all ridiculous stuff like this and not practical at all -- with the exception of the first aid and trauma training that they got from a really wonderful nurse. They liked her a lot and even got to use their training a couple weeks after they got back when this complete idiot classmate of theirs from Chongqing fell off his bike coming back from the Wudaokou McDonald's at like 3am and broke his leg.

Honestly I think that kind of basic first aid knowledge is a great thing for the kids to be learning and I wish it were a mandatory thing in American high schools.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

We played First Aid in kindergarten? Wtf...

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Officers in the PLA spend more than half their time learning propaganda rather than logistics, strategy, and management.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I spend more than half my time posting on Something Awful and my company is doing alright.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

blinkyzero posted:

Our students at the university in Beijing loathed their military training. They said it was all ridiculous stuff like this and not practical at all -- with the exception of the first aid and trauma training that they got from a really wonderful nurse. They liked her a lot and even got to use their training a couple weeks after they got back when this complete idiot classmate of theirs from Chongqing fell off his bike coming back from the Wudaokou McDonald's at like 3am and broke his leg.

Honestly I think that kind of basic first aid knowledge is a great thing for the kids to be learning and I wish it were a mandatory thing in American high schools.

I was trained in CPR and first aid for over a decade and agree it has incredible value. If I saw students doing this I would openly encourage it.

However, they are openly practicing for a game my classmates mastered when we were 5. :shrug: if they all join the army and ever have to win a battle by playing a game of freeze tag, they'll absolutely slay the competition.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

fart simpson posted:

I spend more than half my time posting on Something Awful and my company is doing alright.

I also saw that documentary about when UK soldiers went on exchange with PLA cadets and the PLA soldiers couldn't decipher a map.

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.

LentThem posted:

So what ever ended up happening with you? All I remember is:
-Punched some Chinese dudes
-Went to Thailand
-BYOB

Yeah, I tried to go to Taiwan, but the universities there have actual standards, so I wasn't able to find appealing employment, as I lack a PhD, but It turns out that I really enjoyed all that teaching spoken English stuff and was pretty good at it, so I'm trying to translate those skills into a different field. I have applications in for a couple of speech therapy programs in New Zealand, and I should know by January.

Also, BYOB :toot:

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

goldboilermark posted:

No idea. They implemented it in 1990 and as well know absolutely nothing of any note involving students happened in 1989 so v:shobon:v

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Could they start teaching students to give directions and read maps?

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
They have to raise armies on blind nationalism alone, if the majority of chinese were allowed to think critically CCP would be hosed.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
One of my coworkers described it as "mostly pointless and dumb, but also a good chance for the students to get to know the classmates they'll be stuck with for the next 4 years." And my old roommate said when he had his training (he's like 30 now), they actually had target practice with real guns with 5 bullets for each student. But I guess they did away with that.

It also gives you the first week of the semester off if you teach freshmen classes so hell ya military training.

edit: the real dumb thing about Chinese university is the mao zedong thought classes that no one goes to but the poor teacher still has to lecture to a 99% empty classroom.

Tom Smykowski fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 19, 2014

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Hi Tom.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Hi "fart"

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I think the PLA is a good and effective military fighting force of whom I live in fear.

I have no reason to believe this because they haven't been in a fight since like 1979 but it's probably 100% true.

That's why I don't take pictures of airplanes taking off.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Yeah good at kindergarten games :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.
The hardest, baddest, most frightening dude I ever met in China, who, by the way, was fiercely patriotic, wanted nothing more in his life than to be in the PLA. He was rejected because he had been in a fight in high school. Take this as you will.