Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Amoeba102 posted:

Emit Brown is just what you'd do if you discovered time travel for real.

Heyooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Samovar posted:

Fine, specifically it's a homophone for time spelled backwards

*three page derail about how each dialect of English pronounces "emit" differently including one where it inexplicably rhymes with the word "cedar"*

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
On a related note is there any truth to "Ewok" just being "Wookie" with the syllables reversed because they were originally supposed to be Wookies but Lucas has a hard on for dwarfs

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Didn't we literally just have this BttF conservation in this thread down to someone pointing out it's Emmitt (name) not emit(produce or discharge)?

Edit: nope wasn't this thread

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

garfield hentai posted:

On a related note is there any truth to "Ewok" just being "Wookie" with the syllables reversed because they were originally supposed to be Wookies but Lucas has a hard on for dwarfs

I remember hearing this on a like making-of feature on an actual star wars VHS I think. The reason I always heard was merchandising, little friendly teddy bears are easier to sell dolls of than 7 foot tall dog monsters.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

purple death ray posted:

I remember hearing this on a like making-of feature on an actual star wars VHS I think. The reason I always heard was merchandising, little friendly teddy bears are easier to sell dolls of than 7 foot tall dog monsters.

Sounds like they understood about as much about the toy market as they did about making good movies.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Jerry Cotton posted:

Sounds like they understood about as much about the toy market as they did about making good movies.

Star wars literally created the toy market as it currently exists

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

There's a great interview with Peter serafinowicz where he talks about auditioning for Darth maul. George Lucas sat right behind him in the sound booth while he was reading lines, and when Peter asked him for direction, Lucas just said: "you know, evil. make him sound really evil."

lol

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Today I learned that Mild Mannered Pate voiced Darth Maul.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

purple death ray posted:

Star wars literally created the toy market as it currently exists

No-one wanted the Ewoks.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I don't think I've actually even seen an ewok doll except at a shop.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

HairyManling posted:

He was also the guy who took notes during the first season of Look Around You!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bony tony posted:

He also co-created and co-wrote the entirety of Look Around You with collaborator Robert Popper :ssh:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
the_joke.gif

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

bony tony posted:

That's David Mitchell

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

bell jar posted:

That's David Mitchell

AV/post combo :vince:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

That the word 'smart', as in the phrase 'that smarts!' is closely related to the german word 'schmerz', which means 'pain'. I was thinking about the loan words Weldschmerz and Mittelschmerz, (as of course you do) and it just came to me in a flash.

thank you for reading.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If you try to sprinkle powdered pepper on your dinner in Summer when you have a table fan going at full blast, your life will end in ruin.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Pookah posted:

That the word 'smart', as in the phrase 'that smarts!' is closely related to the german word 'schmerz', which means 'pain'. I was thinking about the loan words Weldschmerz and Mittelschmerz, (as of course you do) and it just came to me in a flash.

thank you for reading.

This reminds me of how the word slim/schlimm exists in the three main West Germanic languages while meaning something different in each one. While googling just now I found out that the English slim is directly derived from Dutch, which I did not know.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

HairyManling posted:

Don't you mean Not Patches

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Don't you mean Not Patches

Maybe, but I really mean Duane Benzie

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

This reminds me of how the word slim/schlimm exists in the three main West Germanic languages while meaning something different in each one. While googling just now I found out that the English slim is directly derived from Dutch, which I did not know.
And "smart" in Japanese means "slim"!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Maybe, but I really mean Duane Benzie

Did you mean Hywel Granger?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I always thought Mark Hamill was gay and out, and that it was just a random piece of general knowledge. I just found out that's not true at all, he's been married to a lady since '78, and has grandkids.

No idea where I got that idea from, then...

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Holy poo poo! I'm listening to a classical music station, and they're playing The Planets by Gustav Holst, and I've just recognised a bit because Frank Zappa quoted it in one of his pieces!

wikipedia posted:

The "Invocation & Ritual Dance of the Young Pumpkin", in the beginning of the saxophone solo (first cadence) quotes the trio directly from the fourth movement of Gustav Holst's The Planets, Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolutely_Free#Cultural_references

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

hawowanlawow posted:

There's a great interview with Peter serafinowicz where he talks about auditioning for Darth maul. George Lucas sat right behind him in the sound booth while he was reading lines, and when Peter asked him for direction, Lucas just said: "you know, evil. make him sound really evil."

lol

That doesn't make sense because Maul doesn't sound evil. He's very soft spoken with a slight British accent. Serafinowicz is basically using his natural voice.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ruddiger posted:

That doesn't make sense because Maul doesn't sound evil. He's very soft spoken with a slight British accent. Serafinowicz is basically using his natural voice.

yeah

evil

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

From the Funny Forum Quotes thread, me not believing I just learned this after 11 years on these forums:

theflyingorc posted:

go to the correct page and mark the top post as read

Friend posted:

Wait can you mark posts as unread in the browser?

Ariong posted:

Yeah, just click the button with the little white rectangle in it beneath the avatar.

Arivia posted:

I don't see this button at all, and I never have. Is this maybe an SALR thing or something?

Krankenstyle posted:

No it's standard on SA. The leftmost one.

Korgan posted:

I'm on pc and there's no button.

ToxicFrog posted:

User Profile -> Edit Options -> Show an icon next to each post indicating if it has been seen or not: yes

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Make sure you have the video tag enabled too, videos have automatically embedded for me for years and I only recently learned that some people don't see it.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Friend posted:

From the Funny Forum Quotes thread, me not believing I just learned this after 11 years on these forums:

:chanpop:

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Here's a weird music one. I have managed to confuse four songs, in sort of a 4 shape. The meeting point is "The Grand Illusion" by Styx. I conflated it with "The Angry Young Man" also by Styx, and both of those I have confused at different times for "Baba O'Reiley" by The Who. I have separately confused "The Grand Illusion" with "Karn Evil 9 Movement 1 Part 2" (the part that gets radio play) by Emerson, Lake, and Palmer.

Karn Evil also sounds like carnival and the song is themed sort of around a circus like performance.

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

ruddiger posted:

‘Soft spoken with slight British accent’ is pretty synonymous with ‘evil’ in Hollywood.

The British film Hellraiser was re-edited a few weeks before general release so that any of the cast that weren’t American were dubbed over with American accents, except for the antagonists, and anyone else in the movie who acted unfavourably (the guy cruising for prostitutes etc).

In another British fantasy/horror film ‘Paperhouse’, Glenne Headly was supposed to play the mother character in her natural American accent, but the American studio made her re-dub all her lines with a British accent mere days before release because her character came across as too much of a bitch!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Adalita and Ella Hooper are two separate people.

I think I realise this every so often, but I still keep getting them mixed up.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Maigius posted:

Here's a weird music one. I have managed to confuse four songs, in sort of a 4 shape. The meeting point is "The Grand Illusion" by Styx. I conflated it with "The Angry Young Man" also by Styx, and both of those I have confused at different times for "Baba O'Reiley" by The Who. I have separately confused "The Grand Illusion" with "Karn Evil 9 Movement 1 Part 2" (the part that gets radio play) by Emerson, Lake, and Palmer.

Karn Evil also sounds like carnival and the song is themed sort of around a circus like performance.

You're not ready to step into the court of the Crimson King.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Friend posted:

I think plat is needed to use this, yeah?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

snoo posted:

I think plat is needed to use this, yeah?

nope

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
Stuart Scott died in 2015. I can't believe I didn't see a headline or something about him passing away, but I have zero memory of it happening.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

oh dope posted:

Stuart Scott died in 2015. I can't believe I didn't see a headline or something about him passing away, but I have zero memory of it happening.

Ah man that was devastating when that happened. There's a video from that day of Rich Eisen trying to use all his catchphrases in a highlight video while trying not to break down.

Also it's not like it was sudden. He got one of those ESPYs for courage five months earlier.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Maigius posted:

I wish I still had the recording, but my high school matching band played Karn Evil as the first part and finale of our marching show my sophomore year. I was unlucky enough to be hit by a car a few weeks into the school year and got volunteered to sing the vocal part while dressed like an actual ring master in our circus themed show.

We also played a piece later that year called Godzilla destroys Las Vegas, so it was pretty hit or miss with music selections at my school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Henchman of Santa posted:

Ah man that was devastating when that happened. There's a video from that day of Rich Eisen trying to use all his catchphrases in a highlight video while trying not to break down.

Also it's not like it was sudden. He got one of those ESPYs for courage five months earlier.

His ESPY’s speech is an all time great as well.

“When you die, that does not mean that you lose to cancer. You beat cancer by how you live, why you live and in the manner in which you live.”

Tears every time. Every drat time.