Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

EvilBeard posted:

Oh yeah, well I played in "beta" when it was still just a mod and you had to buy the ammo for your weapons. You bought the wrong ammo? SUCKS TO BE YOU! 1g is a bunch of Johnny Come Latelys.

i think my first go at cs was beta 5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
I'm surprised how far the game has come, though. The betas were pretty bad. 1.0-1.4 was pretty good, but I hated 1.6. I took a break (I played a little source) until I got go during the black Friday sale.

I have comp experience (my first clan of friends went to the first cpl where we got wrecked by eyeballers) but I can't seem to adjust to go. I initially got to nova 2, but then deranked to SEM because I was in solo queue, and it was full of derankers, griefers, and people who just didn't listen. It's frustrating to know I can play better and fail to progress.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

EvilBeard posted:

I'm surprised how far the game has come, though. The betas were pretty bad. 1.0-1.4 was pretty good, but I hated 1.6. I took a break (I played a little source) until I got go during the black Friday sale.

I have comp experience (my first clan of friends went to the first cpl where we got wrecked by eyeballers) but I can't seem to adjust to go. I initially got to nova 2, but then deranked to SEM because I was in solo queue, and it was full of derankers, griefers, and people who just didn't listen. It's frustrating to know I can play better and fail to progress.

i really liked 1.3 and 1.5, and 1.6 too

i played source on and off with friends but never got into it, moto basically lays out how i felt about source at the time here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlgXwk86i7Y

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

EvilBeard posted:

Oh yeah, well I played in "beta" when it was still just a mod and you had to buy the ammo for your weapons. You bought the wrong ammo? SUCKS TO BE YOU! 1g is a bunch of Johnny Come Latelys.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

i always had a bind in pubs because the vast majority of them gave you 16k every round :v:

bind F1 "nighthawk;ak47;m4a1;vesthelm;defuser;flash;flash;sgren;hegren;primammo;secammo"

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

I also walked to school in the snow, uphill both ways. :corsair:

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

online friend posted:

i always had a bind in pubs because the vast majority of them gave you 16k every round :v:

bind F1 "nighthawk;ak47;m4a1;vesthelm;defuser;flash;flash;sgren;hegren;primammo;secammo"

One of the early betas broke the ammo into calibers. So if you bought 45 ammo and had a 9mm, you just had no ammo. They fixed that pretty quickly. Binds were the best.

I still miss DE_prodigy.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

EvilBeard posted:

One of the early betas broke the ammo into calibers. So if you bought 45 ammo and had a 9mm, you just had no ammo. They fixed that pretty quickly. Binds were the best.

I still miss DE_prodigy.

yeah the betas were really loving weird

i remember scrimming on prodigy once a long time ago and just being like :wtc: the entire time

good pub map, god awful match map

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Half Life mods were basically the golden age of online shooters

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

mistermojo posted:

Half Life mods were basically the golden age of online shooters

getting a bunch of friends together to play in CAL :unsmith:

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

online friend posted:

getting a bunch of friends together to play in CAL :unsmith:

It was the best. We had a local Lan center then, but dsl was the most common broadband, and playing online was spotty at best. CAL was a lot of fun.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

EvilBeard posted:

It was the best. We had a local Lan center then, but dsl was the most common broadband, and playing online was spotty at best. CAL was a lot of fun.

compared to how big and advanced CEVO/ESEA are now CAL was dogshit, but back then it was loving amazing

it blew my young mind that i could play with and against people from all over the country (and canada!)

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

EvilBeard posted:

online friend posted:

compared to how big and advanced CEVO/ESEA are now CAL was dogshit, but back then it was loving amazing

it blew my young mind that i could play with and against people from all over the country (and canada!)

Some of the posters in this thread have actually competed in LANs (and still do). I'm pretty sure that garfu is the most accomplished out of any of us.

I played in quite a few BYOC LAN tournaments early on and won a couple of them and even went to '04 Summer CPL and did decent in their BYOC tourny. Man, I miss those days big time, just living off of the lovely Dominos Pizza and Bawls. I still have the picture of a photographer took of me for press while holding a slice of pizza in one hand and a freshly opened Bawls in the other.

A few goons and myself are trying for ESEA-Open this season, but hoooo boy is it going to be hard for me just because of my grueling work schedule. I'm not sure if I'll make it through the whole season, but I'll try.

Edit: :cry: RIP my CPL Edition SteelPad 4D that got lost during a move :cry:

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 20, 2016

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
What was your won

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

edit: I think I added an extra 7 NOT THAT IT MATTERS

'03 summer w/ dT (detonation)zEx? gently caress that was a long time ago

I think we got knocked out in the quarters

Man looking at this brings back a lot of memories:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Cyberathlete_Professional_League_champions

It's kind of ridiculous how many teams I was on from the 2000-2003 CPL brackets.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 20, 2016

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

A TURGID FATSO posted:

Some of the posters in this thread have actually competed in LANs (and still do). I'm pretty sure that garfu is the most accomplished out of any of us.

I played in quite a few BYOC LAN tournaments early on and won a couple of them and even went to '04 Summer CPL and did decent in their BYOC tourny. Man, I miss those days big time, just living off of the lovely Dominos Pizza and Bawls. I still have the picture of a photographer took of me for press while holding a slice of pizza in one hand and a freshly opened Bawls in the other.

A few goons and myself are trying for ESEA-Open this season, but hoooo boy is it going to be hard for me just because of my grueling work schedule. I'm not sure if I'll make it through the whole season, but I'll try.

Edit: :cry: RIP my CPL Edition SteelPad 4D that got lost during a move :cry:

Yeah, my team competed in the Summer 2000 CPL in Dallas, I couldn't go because of work. They got matched up against Eyeballers in the very first round and we got RANCHED. We mainly played in CAL-O, CAL-IM, and CAL-M if memory serves. It was a lot of fun, and we have a lot of stories from the travels to those tournaments. We didn't win, but we had good times.

I'm still super pissed at a friend who used my computer (we had a little LAN setup at a friends house) and downloaded cheats and got my account with the super low WON ID banned.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 07:57 on May 20, 2016

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
In like 2009 I qualified for the UK Pro League on ESL (CSS) and got paid for winning matches. But I've still never been to a LAN.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
i've been to 3 lans and averaged maybe 1 map for every 5 hours of sitting around waiting for dumb dickheads to fix their lovely routing and servers.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

EvilBeard posted:

Yeah, my team competed in the Summer 2000 CPL in Dallas, I couldn't go because of work. They got matched up against Eyeballers in the very first round and we got RANCHED. We mainly played in CAL-O, CAL-IM, and CAL-M if memory serves. It was a lot of fun, and we have a lot of stories from the travels to those tournaments. We didn't win, but we had good times.

I'm still super pissed at a friend who used my computer (we had a little LAN setup at a friends house) and downloaded cheats and got my account with the super low WON ID banned.

i played a rifle/heavy (k98/garand or BAR) for a bunch of DoD teams in CAL (immortal6, made men, pubstompers (blatant ripoff of pubmasters :v:), and more), and did pretty decently- i6 almost won main playoffs!

then, like the stupid kid i was, bet my 5digit WONID on a scrim against the team of some dude who'd been talking poo poo about me and lost it by one capout :smith:

my favorite part of playing heavy was how many bad players would accuse you of cheating :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fWVApBZH7A

i wish i had more people to reminisce about DoD with but it was never as big as CS :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZoOsrCwxew

RIP DoD

RISCy Business fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 20, 2016

stump collector
May 28, 2007
i always wanted to play dod and 1.6 but i was on satellite internet for many years of my childhood

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
So is there a problem with my client? I see that Cache got updated and has the new nuke-style vents but unlike nuke, I'm not able to open and close them. It still works fine on nuke though. Is it just me, or is it a bug in the map?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

So is there a problem with my client? I see that Cache got updated and has the new nuke-style vents but unlike nuke, I'm not able to open and close them. It still works fine on nuke though. Is it just me, or is it a bug in the map?

Must be your client, it works for me.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Suran37 posted:

Inferno has been upgraded to Hell.

:lol: I lost it at the barbeque

pctD
Aug 25, 2009

Pillbug

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Have you played on community servers recently? There was a bug that was allowing them to inject stuff into your client. Might want to verify game cache and/or reinstall. They're definitely supposed to open and close.

pankus
Jul 30, 2003
I thought the cache vents weren't supposed to be opened or closed.

edit: https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/484h3l/new_vents_on_cache_soon/d0h4x45?context=1

stump collector
May 28, 2007
xp is being a retard

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
DoD was extremely good and I played it a lot more during the goldsrc era than cs. If the other team was being not so good, I usually started playing my own private gungame, always switching to the weapon of the last guy I killed and finally sneaking behind enemy lines and just knifing dudes. Fun times. I never got that good with BAR but I knew some people who could absolutely wreck the whole enemy team with it.

Bring back DoD Valve!

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

Laputanmachine posted:

DoD was extremely good and I played it a lot more during the goldsrc era than cs. If the other team was being not so good, I usually started playing my own private gungame, always switching to the weapon of the last guy I killed and finally sneaking behind enemy lines and just knifing dudes. Fun times. I never got that good with BAR but I knew some people who could absolutely wreck the whole enemy team with it.

Bring back DoD Valve!

seveN, MissioN, shiftypowers, and k4b00m were some of the most insane BAR players in the known universe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdKvrVHX3UU

some :stare: moments in here

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

DoD was my poo poo back in the day. Entirely too many posts on the DoDHQ forums. Making people rage over the Avalanche grenade bug....ahhh memories

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

Fateo McMurray posted:

DoD was my poo poo back in the day. Entirely too many posts on the DoDHQ forums. Making people rage over the Avalanche grenade bug....ahhh memories

skybox nades to break bridge on anzio :getin:

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010
There was a secret change in the update. I'm upset that they are hiding these changes from us, I thought Valve was trying to be more open?

reddit posted:

2 weeks ago I suggested that chickens should respawn next to their owner if they are still alive next round. Although I was serious, many people thought I was s***posting. But when I played after today's update, I saw that my chicken spawned next to me :O After that I tested with 3 chickens and all 3 of them respawned next round http://i.imgur.com/GgCXrDz.jpg They even respawn if their owner was killed.

I feel so happy right now! Thanks Valve, you made my day xD

EDIT:

pic with 7 respawned chickens - http://i.imgur.com/IrId4x7.jpg

my team are animals - http://i.imgur.com/XySKfaY.jpg

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I5MRVcsicE

Hacker took a dump on my pubstomp team. Didn't really turn blatant until the final round, but looking back at the demo it seems they could also still buy freely after the time expired. How's their account lasted a year?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Pronax went 1-22 against Dobry&Gaming on Cache.

:cripes:

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

symbolic posted:

Pronax went 1-22 against Dobry&Gaming on Cache.

:cripes:

He had a negative rating lmao.

I am absolutely and utterly confident I would do better than that.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

dex_sda posted:

Don't forget, he won three majors.

Also the only kill he got was during a 3v1 CT eco push through B main. :laffo:

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
His entire team was quite hopeless as well, they took 6 rounds over two maps. DG are going to be playing Virtus.Pro tomorrow, I'm looking forward to seeing how the rare Polish derby shakes out.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

dex_sda posted:

Possibly, but most goons are probably totally unaware of what it is like to be completely shut down by a disciplined team. There aren't many free kills, even against a second tier pro team like D&G. Even if he's bad by pro player standards, he's still much much better than 99% of players.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Chiming in because I want to share that I made it to GN3, which was where I was at when the rank distribution change happened.

I think the biggest help for me was when I discovered the lowlights feature when watching demos. It really helped to put things into perspective for me.

About 60% of the time, I was busy shooting at someone else and was killed by a guy who flies around a corner in the middle of the fight to spray me down. Another 30% was due to getting AWP'd.

Now, when I watch my lowlights replays, I almost never get AWP'd and I almost never am looking away from the random guy who flies around the corner. Progress!

edit-- also, the indians and the thai are fun as hell to play with.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 21, 2016

apostasy.
Feb 15, 2012

dex_sda posted:

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Jeza posted:

Possibly, but most goons are probably totally unaware of what it is like to be completely shut down by a disciplined team. There aren't many free kills, even against a second tier pro team like D&G. Even if he's bad by pro player standards, he's still much much better than 99% of players.

I think he just had an off day. He's shown he's definitely able to compete at the professional level. Dude won championchip's three times.