Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
After replacing my cat with the eagle in my pet lineup it's already paid off (not that I paid for it) by stopping me blundering into a few elites.

A lot more useful than "highlights some weeds you can pick".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

DancingShade posted:

After replacing my cat with the eagle in my pet lineup it's already paid off (not that I paid for it) by stopping me blundering into a few elites.

A lot more useful than "highlights some weeds you can pick".

I have the opposite problem. That hawk is a death generator, because if you point out some big cocky rear end in a top hat with a special name I will attack it mindlessly until I have my kill. Things with Special Names must die, mmo rule 1

Although at this point I've been using the minimap more and have noticed they pop up there as asterisks, so even without the hawk I'd probably do this

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Yeah, I've never been too impressed with the hawk because you can recognize elites from a glance by looking at the minimap.

On the flipside I have been surprised by elites that have respawned a couple times, and if the elite is in a pack of mobs it sometimes helps having it be pointed out...

As a reminder, pets can actually change skills if you exchange them. I have a catte who points out PVP people and a doge that "taunts" mobs (usefulness is questionable but sure, why not).

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I know dogs are supposed to alert me of something but they always bark so I dunno

GreatestNerdEver
Aug 3, 2007

Third World Reggin posted:

I know dogs are supposed to alert me of something but they always bark so I dunno

it will detect and ping hostile players but you have to actually turn it on by right-clicking the pet menu icon, left clicking on the dog, and then turning on the "special" skill which is the 4th button

you have to do this every time you die, put the pet away, change channels, or reconnect to the game

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

There will be a red pillar of light over flagged players and guild war enemies. Works against ghillie suits, sometimes leading to inconspicuous-looking bush ambushes not quite working out for the attacker. :v:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

If it didn't have a weird screen shake I'd leave it on all the time.

nonpromqueen
Sep 25, 2006

Obscurity posted:

One of them yes. After careful consideration I resold it and made a thick rod to get me to skilled 5 for steel rod use. I made my clothes +1 and heard how hard passed that is and sold the rest of the clothes. I then bought my Musa gear base (yuria, taritas/grunil, bares accs). I will probably make and sell embroidered clothes when I'm not afk fishing..seems like decent money.

You can't level using the epheria rod?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

nonpromqueen posted:

You can't level using the epheria rod?

It has a skill requirement too, just a lower one. Skilled 1 from memory?

The best rods to level with are the green crafted ones - cheap as piss to make and the speed boost helps.

They also have a skill requirement so you'll be using white vendor rods while beginner skill :v:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Can't you turn off screen shake?

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Clocks posted:

a doge that "taunts" mobs (usefulness is questionable but sure, why not).

Doesn't that mean you can pull twice as many mobs into a killzone? Sounds like the most useful of all the pet skills I've seen mentioned so far except the highlights war targets one, which could be better depending on the circumstances.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

sushibandit posted:

Doesn't that mean you can pull twice as many mobs into a killzone? Sounds like the most useful of all the pet skills I've seen mentioned so far except the highlights war targets one, which could be better depending on the circumstances.
It doesn't, the pet will just taunt the mobs to attack you. Tamer's wolf has it's own aggro pool, I think, but you don't get that if you are not a tamer.

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!
Valencia patch lets you have 4 pets out, so hold onto the pets even if you can't use it yet folks.

Merope
Apr 19, 2010

Smurf it up
Where are the red fish at? The trader guy in Iliya island shows he's been getting some nice (60-90k) red fish from people, Swiri, Cuvier and Sunfish, but I've never caught them or heard of them before and Google has nothing.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Gonna take a break from this game for a bit to see how things shape up regarding gear gaps and all that.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Stanley Pain posted:

Gonna take a break from this game for a bit to see how things shape up regarding gear gaps and all that.

It's going to get worse. However livertos are dropping like crazy. Everyone has one or two.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

GreatestNerdEver posted:

it will detect and ping hostile players but you have to actually turn it on by right-clicking the pet menu icon, left clicking on the dog, and then turning on the "special" skill which is the 4th button

you have to do this every time you die, put the pet away, change channels, or reconnect to the game

I don't actually have this pet menu, I've seen it in screenshots though.

Is there something special to show it in the settings or ui setup?

I just have the paw button to open the pet list.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Right-click the paw button to show your active pets, then click the pet to open the list of command buttons.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Snatch Duster posted:

It's going to get worse. However livertos are dropping like crazy. Everyone has one or two.

Who's everyone in this context? I certainly don't.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

DancingShade posted:

It has a skill requirement too, just a lower one. Skilled 1 from memory?

The best rods to level with are the green crafted ones - cheap as piss to make and the speed boost helps.

They also have a skill requirement so you'll be using white vendor rods while beginner skill :v:

Epheria and Balenos have no skill requirement. You night have been looking at Calpheon?

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!

Stanley Pain posted:

It's pretty much going to get worse in the sense that boss armor will be getting released soon + over-enchanting. Then in Valencia we get a whole new set of rare accessories + offhand that replace our current ones with the exception of Ogre.

Only catch up mechanic they release is a quest for liverto, which is pretty painless and it's pretty much same as Kzarka unless you are a Valk.

It's up to Daum if they want to reduce the gear-gaps for NA but from the looks of it they really have no power to effect any meaningful change.

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

I just burnt 150 armor black stones by +15-ing four pieces of armor in a row trying to build fail stacks on 14. :pwn:

One of them literally went from +12 to +15 in three black stones. It's super dope that I get this absurd luck now that I don't want or need it.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Epheria and Balenos have no skill requirement. You night have been looking at Calpheon?

Yeah this. The reason I decided tho use thick rod is I won't be plussing Epheria any time soon and the silver it's worth is more useful than 10 durability on a rod.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Stanley Pain posted:

Who's everyone in this context? I certainly don't.

Everyone that is lv 55 it seems. Also they sell all the time on the marketplace.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Well not only is today bird day, it's also :wooper:NOBEL WAGON:wooper: day too since I have enough moneys now!

Still haven't gotten my free dev box what gives?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Obscurity posted:

Yeah this. The reason I decided tho use thick rod is I won't be plussing Epheria any time soon and the silver it's worth is more useful than 10 durability on a rod.

Can you repair the steels? I look at Epheria/Balenos as a cost SAVER, because you only need to buy one.

They're also nice if you sell your fish at a non-warehouse location, because you can just repair and get back to work rather than having to replace your rod. When you're remoting in from work, every little bit of hassle you can remove helps

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:
So drinkfist got bored and dec'd a couple random guilds and started throwing people off cliffs at delphe castle which resulted in a pretty big rumble, which resulted in goon reinforcements... which has now escallated to people offering bitcoin bounties in the global chat channel.

dabs violently
Jul 27, 2013

someone should leave the guild and start making bank

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

:yosbutt:coins

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Can you repair the steels? I look at Epheria/Balenos as a cost SAVER, because you only need to buy one.

They're also nice if you sell your fish at a non-warehouse location, because you can just repair and get back to work rather than having to replace your rod. When you're remoting in from work, every little bit of hassle you can remove helps

I just set it to go overnight while I sleep, get on in morning to clean up, then set it and clean up again after work. Steel rods cost 40k and probably cheaper to make in my tool workshop..Epheria rod can be repaired but if you're taking it up to +15 or whatever..you need Epheria Rods to repair that max durability. Starts to get expensive. If anything I will still get an Epheria rod leveled up just not until I get a decent chunk of money rolling in to do so in one shot.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
so i got a key. are there any classes that are particularly fun to play? or any that i should avoid

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Farg posted:

so i got a key. are there any classes that are particularly fun to play? or any that i should avoid

Only two that come to mind to potentially avoid are Ranger and Berserker. Ranger because leveling it is boring and you might not like the game if you play it, but it later becomes a beautiful butterfly and causes insane PVP rage. Berserker I just hear a lot of whining about due to lag, not sure if that has been addressed yet.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
I would avoid berserker except as an alt. Also, don't expect monsters to become challenging until level 35 or so. Take your time doing whatever gives you good feels. The main draw of this game is that there are a million things to grind and the depth of the grind is staggering.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Berzerker might be annoying cause of lag and probably feels awful in PvP, but it's sheer presence and physicality is a blast in PvE stuff. You pick guys up and throw them into other guys. You get a dropkick. You hurt guys by jumping on them.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Farg posted:

Berserker are cool to have in pvp. They grab a man and hold them over their heads like the opening scene in lion king before slamming them into the ground. This is a signal to all your friends to nuke the poor sap. Also they become really good according to everyone when they get their handcannon.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Does it ever become possible to do world bosses on Tamer without being constantly one-shot as soon as you enter melee range? If so, how much gear is required to reach that point? How do you feel in PvP, both 1v1 and small/medium groups?

I've narrowed it down to sorc and tamer for my favorite class, and I think tamer wins out slightly on theme and combat feel (sorc in pve is just black wave spam, it felt great at first but now I'm a little bored). However, sorc seems to have the better rap at endgame, and not being able to dictate my own engagement range in a game where melee is sometimes automatic death... sucks.

I tried to ask this in guild chat but we don't seem to have any Tamer mains in parksandrec

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 2, 2016

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Stanley Pain posted:

is getting +15 on everything and ultimate versions of all your stuff that bad? OR even with that you get rolled by people in +15 boss gear?

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:

Holyshoot posted:

is getting +15 on everything and ultimate versions of all your stuff that bad? OR even with that you get rolled by people in +15 boss gear?

Aside from kzarka/liverto boss gear isnt in yet I dont think... +15ing isnt that bad, ultimate from green is a crap shoot... I think its just daunting as a fresh 50 (or 45) getting utterly destroyed by literally anyone and everyone you encounter in pvp, and it does take a while of grinding away at gear before that stops.

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!

Holyshoot posted:

Getting +15 on gear currently out isn't that bad (Yuria/Grunil/Taritas), and that will probably make you competitive against 95% of the field. The only painful grind right now is Accessory grinding/mashing and enchanting Liverto/Kzarka

Boss armor isn't out yet, but once that is out the pain level is on par with enchanting Liverto/Kzarka. Getting it isn't too painful since it's from scrolls, just RNG.

Edit: Over-enchanting also isn't out yet, but if it released same as Korea it's straight up terrible and many many people (including myself) will probably give up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

This is a public service announcement that if you gank randoms, please have channel chat on, and then threaten to report them if they use profanities in reference to your activities. People get really really upset and rage out when you threaten to report them for being assholes in server chat.

I missed what he originally was saying in shout chat, but it boiled down to he threatened to do some v graphic things to Jerkjerk's butt after getting ganked while AFK fishing.