Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

pubg is putting all their talent into making the game prettier with new maps and new guns when all it really needs is better netcode/servers. The only real change it needed was vaulting./

Weren't not-quite-up-to-standards graphics the reason why DayZ and H1Z1 slowly died or became uncompetitive?

I guess I understand how the pubg dudes are trying to catch up with that fault first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Dayz was hilariously boring, where you could run for half an hour without running into another player.

Edit: V You had more patience than I did, apparently.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 26, 2017

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Godholio posted:

Dayz was hilariously boring, where you could run for half an hour without running into another player.

Try hours.

DayZ is the only game of the sort I've ever played so far, and we always played it in a pretty tight 5-6 man group of eve dudes that got bored of eve, as one does when playing eve. Despite being a relatively large and coordinated group, we'd move around as stealthily as loving possible on the advice of the only guy in the group that had previously played the game.

We'd sometimes have one or two full, multi-hour gaming sessions where we only encountered one or two other people, the rest was comically brutal survival. We'd constantly be starving or suffering from sickness, so the next time we ran into a zombie horde while scavenging through a settlement, we didn't even have time to worry about other players. It was fun in its own way, but without our group, which consisted of one mother duck, and four to five inept and uncoordinated ducklings, it would have been zero fun whatsoever.

I can't loving imagine taking someone from pubg and introducing them to DayZ.

But since I've gathered that pubg basically distilled the incredibly long grind from DayZ to short, timed sessions, I've decided I need to pick it up, so it's currently farting around my Steam wishlist, I think.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

https://m.imgur.com/B5IWQS3

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Kept expecting that cat to gently caress it all up

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I tried getting into Shadowrun: Hong Kong again last night, and gave up faster than ever.
The combat system in HBS's shadowrun series bores the piss out of me, and Shadowrun plots about combating big bads never catch my attention.
Shadowrun is low-level stupidity like wondering why a corporation keeps trying to kill you after blowing up 3 of it's warehouses to create a diversion while you cyber-jack their secrets,
and/or constantly dating new Mr Johnson's because you swear there is one out there that won't betray you.

My dream shadowrun storyline is sidemissions forever until you draw too much heat from the angry corps/govs/dragons/police unions/etc and must bail out to another city

Took a look at HBS-Battletech. The new game at least switches up the combat system, but now I hear rumblings there will be a hard mech limit per mission, like 4 tops.
Are HBS using a upgraded Shadowrun engine or something? Not wild about the PGI mech art-designs too, but that's my mechwarrior:living legends bias with living legends fully modeled & playable tanks/hovercraft/power-armour/helicopters/planes.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Took a look at HBS-Battletech. The new game at least switches up the combat system, but now I hear rumblings there will be a hard mech limit per mission, like 4 tops.
Are HBS using a upgraded Shadowrun engine or something? Not wild about the PGI mech art-designs too, but that's my mechwarrior:living legends bias with living legends fully modeled & playable tanks/hovercraft/power-armour/helicopters/planes.

Both use Unity I believe? As for the mech limit, that's basically the standard "Lance" size in Mechwarrior anyway. Mechanically it plays more or less like XCOM, and is pretty fun from the few hours I killed with in in the closed beta/multiplayer beta

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

I tried getting into Shadowrun: Hong Kong again last night, and gave up faster than ever.
The combat system in HBS's shadowrun series bores the piss out of me, and Shadowrun plots about combating big bads never catch my attention.
Shadowrun is low-level stupidity like wondering why a corporation keeps trying to kill you after blowing up 3 of it's warehouses to create a diversion while you cyber-jack their secrets,
and/or constantly dating new Mr Johnson's because you swear there is one out there that won't betray you.

My dream shadowrun storyline is sidemissions forever until you draw too much heat from the angry corps/govs/dragons/police unions/etc and must bail out to another city

I enjoyed Shadowrun Hong Kong a good bit. Aside from the original Fallouts, it's the only isometric view game I've played in years.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Bolow posted:

Both use Unity I believe? As for the mech limit, that's basically the standard "Lance" size in Mechwarrior anyway. Mechanically it plays more or less like XCOM, and is pretty fun from the few hours I killed with in in the closed beta/multiplayer beta

Thats good to know (game engine) and thanks. I have no issues with the combat system getting shaken up to be similar to the current PnP version.
XCOM style combat is good. Overall hoping Battletech (2018) lives up to Crescent Hawks Revenge and how it handled stuff.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BattleTech:_The_Crescent_Hawk%27s_Revenge

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

I enjoyed Shadowrun Hong Kong a good bit. Aside from the original Fallouts, it's the only isometric view game I've played in years.

Fallout 1 + 2 were good. Always tried to keep Dogmeat alive in F1 + always tried to refind Dogmeat in the special encounter map in F2.
Never quite beat Fallout Tactics, was torn between what role the main character should be. Driver/medic, medic/explosives support, or pure combat Stallone.
The game that came closest to Fallout 1+2 highs was Divine Divinity for me. Once you got past the extremely bad voice work + the dickpunch starting dungeon,
Divine Divinity was beautiful.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I just figured out you can lay blueprints in Factorio while in map mode. :aaa:

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Started watching the yogscast guys play ARK with the missus last week.

Now I own a second xbone and have a dedicated server rental. She's really having a blast getting all the Dilopasarus I tame for her killed in exciting ways.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
totally random but i wish the yearly release model would die.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

just stop buying them

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I got back into Ghost Recon Wildlands. That’s a game where the repetitive gameplay loop is made ok by how great the core shooting and Barbie military dress up elements are.

I’m just having a great time zooming around in light attack choppers causing mayhem.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Did you play the Predator mission? The battle was pretty lame but the lead up (brief as it was) was a good homage.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

FastestGunAlive posted:

Did you play the Predator mission? The battle was pretty lame but the lead up (brief as it was) was a good homage.

Yep. He’s just a lovely bullet sponge. The quest bugged out after he arms himself to blow. Super annoying.

bloops fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 28, 2017

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I didn't finish the fight. Is there a reward?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
You get a face paint of the predator’s face which looks hilariously awful, his mask, and (I think) his wrist mounts. Maybe another item I can’t recall. Wasn’t that impressed.

You can buy Dutch and Billy’s face camo and Billy and Blain’s hats as dlc. They all look cool but not worth buying imo.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Also a buttload of XP

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

The best Predator/Warhammer 40k videogame is that crazy french FPS that I love, EYE Divine Cybermacy.
The backstory to the game is a video where the developers cosplayed as the dudes from Predator for 15 minutes.
They investigated a abadoned french train station, and were taken out one by one by something spooky.

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

I just figured out you can lay blueprints in Factorio while in map mode. :aaa:

That sounds very cool. Prison Architect had something similar last time I played, but there was no "oops I hosed up backspace/delete" option.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Steezo posted:

If you really wanna do 5 I'd recommend the Project Lazarus version that runs on Dungeon Siege 1. http://www.u5lazarus.com/

I always got the feeling he was supposed to be an Avatar from another world who just decide that fuckit, these guys keep screwing up, we're doing it my way now rather than what they did with him in 9. Especially after Underworld 2. If anyone seriously tries 9 be ready for the worst voice acting in a game. Want to paaarty? That isn't even the worst of it but I couldn't find a video of "Stealing is Wrong!"

Also Ut99 > Quake, and not just for Mechanism 8.

:colbert: We don't talk about Ultima IX. (But yeah, what little is known of the original vision for IX involved a plot on the Guardian's homeworld, so your instincts were correct.)

Ultima 7, Wing Commander, and X-Wing and their immediate sequels might be my all time favorite period of gaming. I played through Ultima 7 and Serpent Isle a couple of years ago, and they were still a blast. The Elder Scrolls and similar series have scratched the RPG itch for the most part (though I kind of miss isometric games and Abaddon doesn't quite cut it)

Hong Kong was okay as the plot progressed, but not as strong of a story as Shadowrun Returns or Dragonfall.

Your dream shadowrun would be well-suited to an MMORPG. Doubt that will ever happen, though. :(

Sax Offender fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 28, 2017

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
finally got shadow of war and once again the best assassins creeds are the ones that involve not humans

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Sax Offender posted:

Hong Kong was okay as the plot progressed, but not as strong of a story as Shadowrun Returns or Dragonfall.

Your dream shadowrun would be well-suited to an MMORPG. Doubt that will ever happen, though. :(

God damnit, it would be SO GOOD.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

cowboy elvis posted:

Yep. He’s just a lovely bullet sponge. The quest bugged out after he arms himself to blow. Super annoying.

I wouldn't mind him being a bullet sponge if his loving plasma shot wouldn't go through the ground and zap me :argh:

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Sax Offender posted:

I spent way too much time on the shadowrun MUSH/MUXES back as a teenager. I'd love a shadowrun MMO, Neocron was pretty close but wasn't quite there.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Sax Offender posted:

:colbert: We don't talk about Ultima IX. (But yeah, what little is known of the original vision for IX involved a plot on the Guardian's homeworld, so your instincts were correct.)

Ultima 7, Wing Commander, and X-Wing and their immediate sequels might be my all time favorite period of gaming. I played through Ultima 7 and Serpent Isle a couple of years ago, and they were still a blast. The Elder Scrolls and similar series have scratched the RPG itch for the most part (though I kind of miss isometric games and Abaddon doesn't quite cut it)

A Ultima 9 playthrough for me is in the far future, after I enjoy the better pre-EA buyout Ultima games I never quite finished.

my dream shadowrun:
I forgot to mention a "decorate your base" funtime money sink that actually generates the final mission:
All the corps/factions that you pissed off are now invading the funtime money sink base you designed, Time to escape!
Hope you were smart enough to setup defenses, caches of weapons, off-sited your credit stash and paid for a fast escape vehicle....
otherwise you are hosed.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 29, 2017

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

nullscan posted:

I spent way too much time on the shadowrun MUSH/MUXES back as a teenager.

:same:

Stuck to more fantasy-based ones for the most part. I remember a few with sci-fi elements like Federation 2. It was mostly space trading and then building your own corporation and then a planet. And of course there was always HellMoo. :getin:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I just realised that world of warships and war thunder are DOTA like games......

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

ElMaligno posted:

I just realised that world of warships and war thunder are DOTA like games......

Gonna throw this out here sinc ei like bad dead games, but steel ocean is a chinese knock off of world of warships and some how better (except no one plays it)

I really miss running around as a submarine in that game.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
despite the lovely graphics, random crashes, no aim assist, and low framerates, pubg for xbox(my gayming rig is broken/old) is pretty fun. its easily the best game i've bought since bf1.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Sax Offender posted:

Dragonfall is super good. Thanks for the reminder.

I like some of the side characters in Hong Kong like the goofy orc shaman girl and the zombie samurai.

Hell even if it never became an MMO I think Shadowrun could make a good Fallout 3/4/Skyrim style regular RPG.

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 29, 2017

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Well let's hope Cyberpunk 2077 does amazingly and makes some (not EA or Ubi) devs perk up and get interested.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

the problem with cyberpunk/steampunk is that there is like less than ten games/movies that aren't dogshit for the entire genre. The majority of the fanbase is cosplayers that just glue gears to tophats.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I can’t think of any good steampunk media, but there are quite a few books, games, and movies for cyberpunk. Shadowrun, Dues Ex, Blacklight Retribution, Syndicate, and NeoTokyo are all pretty good games just off the top of my head. I’m sure there are more that I can’t think of.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The only good steampunk game I can think of is Arcanum? The dishonored games maybe?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Dishonored is whalepunk. It’s different.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

cowboy elvis posted:

Dishonored is whalepunk. It’s different.

:what:

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Was crimson skies dieselpunk? Cause we need more crimson skies

Shockules
May 2, 2017

Third World Reggin posted:

Gonna throw this out here sinc ei like bad dead games, but steel ocean is a chinese knock off of world of warships and some how better (except no one plays it)

I really miss running around as a submarine in that game.

Me and Pesticide tried it out but didn't feel like it was any better than world of warships, especially since we we're already in tier 6-7 at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

FastestGunAlive posted:

Cause we need more crimson skies

This man is a treasure and needs to voice more of my characters.