Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Age of Ultron may be bad in parts, but the intro sequence at the winter base is pretty cool. It’s hard to go more than 10 minutes in the movie without seeing something interesting. And the Terminator style theme song was cool, they had to use a broken Casio keyboard that lost time arhythmically to create it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Golden Bee posted:

Age of Ultron may be bad in parts, but the intro sequence at the winter base is pretty cool. It’s hard to go more than 10 minutes in the movie without seeing something interesting. And the Terminator style theme song was cool, they had to use a broken Casio keyboard that lost time arhythmically to create it.

Age of Ultron has a lot of my favorite scenes of any Marvel Movie. It really is the definition of Less Than The Sum Of Its Parts. How they put so many cool and good things together with a handful of trash parts and it came out so mediocre is kind of achievement in some ways.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
AoU is trash but it did give us an insane James Spader voice performance.

Shame about everything else though.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Age of Ultron has a lot of great individual elements: the scene in the bar with the hammer, every single thing involving Vision, Andy Serkis being a full-on non-CGI weirdo. It also sets up a bunch of stuff that will pay off huge dividends in Endgame: Cap and the Hammer, Hawkeye's family.

But yeah, the plot is borderline non-existent, and because of the tepid plot the villain is mostly wasted, which is a shame because Spader as Ultron had the potential to be legendary.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I watched a video about age of ultron recently and forgot how annoying and quippy Ultron was. Dare I say cringe?!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Also I will never not laugh at “Go to sleep, go to sleep, go to sleep!”

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Joss Whedon uses the "oops a guy and a lady fall over together and the guys face ends up in her chest *cartoon wolf howl*" gag in Age of Ultron and Justice League. Shock he turned out to be a creep.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Age of Ultron is funny because it makes sense that a super intelligent being would log on to the internet for 15 seconds and immediately decide to end all life as we know it.

Anyways it wasn’t just us ITT melting down over the bank scene

https://nerdist.com/article/the-falcon-and-the-winter-soldier-bank-loan-scene-avengers-payment/?amp

She also highlights Vision & Bucky (how did he buy a house? Who is paying for Bucky’s therapy?) and basically agrees that it just raises so many more questions than it answers

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Bucky was in the army and his therapist said she was a soldier too so it's pretty easy to assume the government is paying.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
The party scene, Ultron and the Hawkeye farm interlude were unimpeachable, AoU was dragged down so hard by the final act of that movie being like 30 minutes of hitting non-threatening robots.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I haven't seen AoU since it first released. I don't remember it being in any way worse than the first Avengers or Civil War. It's next on my slow rewatch so I'm interested to see if I come away disliking it this time.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Vision won the house by trading it from a paper clip

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
AoU is worth watching for Thor's face when Steve makes Mjolnir wiggle like a millimeter.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

fractalairduct posted:

Surprised that in the entire conversation about the worst Marvel movies, no one brought up Age of Ultron.

Age of Ultron had to set up Captain America: Civil War and Black Panther and Thor: Ragnorak and lay the groundwork for Infinity War and Endgame and also tell an entertaining story about a would-be robot apocalypse. For the most part it did all of those things competently. Not perfectly, but at least competently.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Firebert posted:

The party scene, Ultron and the Hawkeye farm interlude were unimpeachable, AoU was dragged down so hard by the final act of that movie being like 30 minutes of hitting non-threatening robots.

Ehhhhh that farm interlude has Whedon’s gross Black Widow “monster” scene in it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Golden Bee posted:

Vision won the house by trading it from a paper clip

That was a pretty lovely lot in a tiny new Jersey town, he probably just found the money for it in Tony's couch

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, if you're at the place where you're asking how in the world Vision could afford a small patch of land in a dilapidated Jersey town then maybe you're picking too many nits.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bust Rodd posted:

Age of Ultron is funny because it makes sense that a super intelligent being would log on to the internet for 15 seconds and immediately decide to end all life as we know it.

The unbelievable part is that he didn't use a zipline to do it.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
The worst part of the MCU is that Thanos never got to use his helicopter

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Bucky was in the army and his therapist said she was a soldier too so it's pretty easy to assume the government is paying.

I cant remember if it was said explicitly but I got the sense Buckies therapy was involuntary and a condition of him being able to walk around freely.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
110 year old Steve Rodgers also probably put in a good word for his old pal who was a mind controlled Soviet assassin for decades.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

massive spider posted:

I cant remember if it was said explicitly but I got the sense Buckies therapy was involuntary and a condition of him being able to walk around freely.

It was described as a condition of his pardon. Which, I need to look up but I feel like Pardons aren't allowed to be conditional. But whatever. :shrug:

Also incredible lol at that article. Gee, I wonder why the robot who disguised himself as a white guy didn't have the same trouble dealing with a bank as a black man?! Maybe there's some kind of point in there somewhere...

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012

massive spider posted:

Bucky's therapist said the therapy was a condition of his pardon.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Sammus posted:

So, everyone is bagging on Thor 2 and Iron Man 2, and not unjustly, because they're not good marvel movies. But the people calling them the worst of the marvel movies are just flat out wrong. The Incredible Hulk holds that title. A MCU movie so bad they couldn't get the star to come back and it feels like everyone forgot it exists.
It's easily the worst for me. It just doesn't work. Hulk accidentally destroying a town is done better in later phases, Liv Tyler's character exists solely to make doe-eyes and coo a breathy "Bruuuuuce" two dozen times, and the battle with Abomination is a CGI mess. It's also barely in the continuity, considering nobody cares when Hulk is set loose in New York during Avengers despite that he wrecked Harlem the year before.

IM2 and Thor 2 are actually pretty decent on a rewatch, especially when watching everything in sequence (I managed to watch that Twitter guy's insane chronological edit). Thor 2 especially sets up a LOT of big character changes and story threads, it just had kind of a lame villain as its framing story. Same with IM2, it packs in a ton of major story elements but doesn't really do justice to its main villain. I actually like IM2 a fair bit more than IM3, though I think with this thread's revelation that IM3 is just a Fringe episode, I like it more in retrospect. Speaking of which:

howe_sam posted:

Extremis is some real Massive Dynamics poo poo.
So is Pym Tech. They're ripping open holes to alternate timelines using his technology.

Also Elihas Starr was played by the same actor as The Observer, so... :tinfoil:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Sanguinia posted:

It was described as a condition of his pardon. Which, I need to look up but I feel like Pardons aren't allowed to be conditional. But whatever. :shrug:

A quick Google tells me that yes, conditional pardons are a thing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I watched the Rock and Ravenous on Star here in Canada, i find that hilarious.

And yea, Age of Ultron has one of few large quiet moments in the MCU where people just hang out. There needs to be more scenes of people just being people. You get small moments, like Infinity War before Hulk crashes into his stairs, Strange and Wong are going to go get lunch.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Golden Bee posted:

I don’t know if it counts, because the story of the MCU always seems to start with Iron Man.

Which preceded The Incredible Hulk! It absolutely counts, even if it was really only ever referred back to in one single line.

Timby posted:

and they do have an unfortunate tendency to devote a decent chunk of their runtime to saying, "By the way, don't forget to check out the next Marvel Studios film, coming to a theater near you in six months!"

I can't think of a single one that did this other than Age of Ultron (which, per the discussion above, would improve greatly if you just cut out the Thor's Vision Quest stuff, which is definitely guilty of what you're saying). Which other ones do you think devoted anything more than a quick flash to future movies?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

twistedmentat posted:

I watched the Rock and Ravenous on Star here in Canada, i find that hilarious.

I finally got around to watching Tombstone and I re-watched Armageddon for the first time in...my god, over two decades.

quote:

You get small moments, like Infinity War before Hulk crashes into his stairs, Strange and Wong are going to go get lunch.

There are a lot of great moments like this scattered through the MCU, though, that I think add up. The first one I remember was Stane offering Tony pizza. It’s such a bizarre, charming little interaction that’s obviously 100% ad-libbed, but it does so much heavy lifting humanizing Stane and Tony’s relationship. It’s probably one of my favourite little movie moments.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ehhhhh that farm interlude has Whedon’s gross Black Widow “monster” scene in it.

I don't think I minded that bit as much as I did the "boob-falls" in the non-ZSJL and here. Natasha was forcibly sterilized as part of her "graduation." That's horribly hosed up. It's played as being horribly hosed up. Natasha feeling like monster and otherwise cut off from "normal" people is not necessarily rational, but her feelings about it are valid. Plus, the whole point of her confessing this to Bruce is to get him to realize that yes, on some level, she does get where he's coming from.

The boob-falls are just stupid and demeaning to all involved - especially the actresses.

It's one of the things that I've really come to hate about Whedon. He actually is a talented director and story-teller. But then he puts the boob-falls or something like them in his movies to remind people that "Hey, while you're watching the movie, don't forget that I'm a total piece of poo poo."

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think everyone understands where Whedon was going with that monster scene, and if Natasha were a real person, yeah, her feelings and how she chooses to articulate them could be excused, but she’s a fictional woman written by a man. There’s really no excuse for how badly that scene was handled. It should have been ironed out in, like, a second or third draft.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Phylodox posted:

There are a lot of great moments like this scattered through the MCU, though, that I think add up. The first one I remember was Stane offering Tony pizza. It’s such a bizarre, charming little interaction that’s obviously 100% ad-libbed, but it does so much heavy lifting humanizing Stane and Tony’s relationship. It’s probably one of my favourite little movie moments.

I think when people criticize super hero films for not having humanity a lot of it is stuff like this. So like a film might have a lot of heavy emotional moments but it it skimps on those little moments when characters are just being people it feels a little too artificial. Like all the stuff of Thor and Loki bickering or Tony annoying his friends add a lot, I think. It makes the characters and their world feel more lived in.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It also just sets Natasha on an arc where her eventual sacrifice in Endgame isn't so much noble as her giving in to her sense of worthlessness.

E: they also just do not acknowledge at all the Natasha/Bruce relationship in Infinity War or Endgame, until Bruce has to feel slightly less sad than Haekeulye about the fact that she's dead.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 25, 2021

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
we're talking about how The Incredible Hulk has been memory-holed outside of Ross but Tim Roth has been attached to the MCU for more than a decade as Abomination and was on-board to appear in both AoU and Civil War before the scripts hit final draft and is definitely appearing in She-Hulk

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'd really love to see Immortal Hulk get adapted. I presume streaming doesn't count as part of the Universal deal, and they have Star now if they were willing to do it.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Alchenar posted:

It also just sets Natasha on an arc where her eventual sacrifice in Endgame isn't so much noble as her giving in to her sense of worthlessness.

E: they also just do not acknowledge at all the Natasha/Bruce relationship in Infinity War or Endgame, until Bruce has to feel slightly less sad than Haekeulye about the fact that she's dead.

There was that very small bit when they meeting again at the Avengers compound, but otherwise, nope. Part of it may have been differing directors.

If they'd really want to drive home that Natasha and Bruce were a thing, they'd have sent Bruce to Vormir with Natasha. I'm kind of glad they didn't. I don't Clint would have worked nearly as well in dealing with the Ancient One.

For my part I didn't see her sacrifice as expressing her "worthlessness" so much as Natasha finally paying off all the "red in her ledger" by making sure Clint would be around when (not if, when) his family returned.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I see Natasha's arc as Avengers > Winter Soldier > Civil War > Endgame. Its about her defining herself as an Avenger and a hero to try and make up for what she'd done in her past and struggling with what the right thing is to do and who the right people to work for are until finally she is at some peace sacrificing herself to save so many in an act that she feels might really "clean the ledger."

The Bruce/Age of Ultron stuff is just an unfortunate speed bump no one else followed up on except to acknowledge it happened.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Sammus posted:

So, everyone is bagging on Thor 2 and Iron Man 2, and not unjustly, because they're not good marvel movies. But the people calling them the worst of the marvel movies are just flat out wrong. The Incredible Hulk holds that title. A MCU movie so bad they couldn't get the star to come back and it feels like everyone forgot it exists.

"Couldn't get the star to come back" isn't really accurately describing what happened there. Ed Norton, while a great actor, is an rear end who demands script edits on anything he works on. From what I remember (and it's been years, so don't ask me to pull a source out of my rear end), he was pulling his usual poo poo and demanding script edits on The Avengers, and Marvel was saying, "Uh, no, this movie is way too big to allow that poo poo" so he walked.

I'm not one to defend major film studios usually. But there's a reason almost no one has worked with Ed Norton twice. He's a notorious rear end in a top hat.

Not that any of this makes The Incredible Hulk any better (I think it's a fine movie, and better than Thor 2, but definitely bottom tier), but I felt like that comment needed some details.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Are you saying that hulk/black widow gif isn't canon?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Age of Ultron is just a special The Blacklist episode. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

TinTower posted:

Age of Ultron is just a special The Blacklist episode. :colbert:

This is now my head canon, Red just branching out to smuggling cybernetics.