Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Sigh. My valves were all in spec, so my hard starting issue is not caused by them. YOU STUPID MOTORCYCLE, I'VE EXHAUSTED EVERY POSSIBLE THING THAT COULD BE WRONG WITH YOU

You get spark.

You get fuel.

You don't have intake leaks.

You run fine when you're actually started. You start easily when warm, too.

I'm still not convinced that the engine is getting enough power to turn things over when cold. Maybe the starter solenoid? Try jumping the terminals with a rubber handled tool and seeing it it turns over quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

niethan posted:

I ran these tests ( my results in bold):

So rectifier and stator output are good it seems. I also did some more voltage measurements at the battery:
Everything off: 12.2V
Key on on position, lights off: 12.0V
Key on on position, lights on: 11.8V
1.5krpm, lights off: 12.9V
1.5krpm, lights on: 12.4V

Also during all this testing and riding to buy the voltmeter i started the bike like ten times in twenty miles, so that indicates that there is no problem at all and I was imagining things, probably my battery was still kinda weak from the winter?

Did you check the individual stator wires against the engine ground? You could have what I had...good output on all of the stator coils, but when they went under load it shunted to the engine case due to a short on the stator. Check them with it reved, you should see only a few volts of bleed over between the engine ground and the individual wires of the stator. If you get more than ~10 volts, one of your stator winds is grounding to the engine, so when things go under load it's just dumping along the path of least resistance: the engine ground.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Z3n posted:

I'm still not convinced that the engine is getting enough power to turn things over when cold. Maybe the starter solenoid? Try jumping the terminals with a rubber handled tool and seeing it it turns over quickly.

I actually replaced the starter solenoid already, even though it didn't need it. I also push-started the bitch when cold and it still didn't start easily. Maybe I'll make a video of the bike so everybody can see what I mean.

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 1, 2010

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I guess I pack really light compared to a lot of you guys. The longest trips I've been on were about 1000 miles in a three day weekend on my GS. The only things I brought was my AAA card, AMA card, a multitool, a changeable bit screwdriver, a 1/4 ratchet with 8, 10, 12 and 14mm sockets a few fuses and a small can of chain lube.
Small things I don't mind messing with on the side of the road, but I figure if it really shits the bed enough for me to have to do serious work I'd rather have it towed home or to my shop. I'm not hardcore enough to be doing cylinder re sleeves in a campground by firelight.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

Bugdrvr posted:

I guess I pack really light compared to a lot of you guys. The longest trips I've been on were about 1000 miles in a three day weekend on my GS. The only things I brought was my AAA card, AMA card, a multitool, a changeable bit screwdriver, a 1/4 ratchet with 8, 10, 12 and 14mm sockets a few fuses and a small can of chain lube.
Small things I don't mind messing with on the side of the road, but I figure if it really shits the bed enough for me to have to do serious work I'd rather have it towed home or to my shop. I'm not hardcore enough to be doing cylinder re sleeves in a campground by firelight.

That's more than I've ever packed for a motorcycle trip.

700 miles, one day, all I brought was my beard.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
I packed so light on my last motorcycle trip that I left the bike in the garage! ;)

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I always bring spare handle bar tassels as they tend to get frayed pretty quickly on longer trips.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Next time I'm taking one of those green things. Comes in very handy!

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Zool posted:

I always bring spare handle bar tassels as they tend to get frayed pretty quickly on longer trips.

You are completely awesome. I find that I have to bring rain flys for my rain flys. Leaky gear is just so 1999.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

OrangeFurious posted:

That's more than I've ever packed for a motorcycle trip.

700 miles, one day, all I brought was my beard.

I mean for one day out and back trips I usually don't bring much of anything, but when I'm going to be gone for 3+ days, I want to make sure the vacation isn't going to be cut short by something stupid.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Posted this shot in the show your bike thread but I am almost near the end and need some exhaust advice. The case on one side hands well over the exhaust with only a 2-3" height gap above it. It is skewed to the right so it isnt getting the entire updraft from the tailpipe but pretty darn close.

Should I worry about getting some sort of insulating material on the bottom of the plastic? My idea right now is a piece of 1/16" thick steel plate bolted to the bottom with a 1/4" airgap between the plate and plastic.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Z3n posted:

Did you check the individual stator wires against the engine ground? You could have what I had...good output on all of the stator coils, but when they went under load it shunted to the engine case due to a short on the stator. Check them with it reved, you should see only a few volts of bleed over between the engine ground and the individual wires of the stator. If you get more than ~10 volts, one of your stator winds is grounding to the engine, so when things go under load it's just dumping along the path of least resistance: the engine ground.

Is the engine ground a certain wire or can I just put it up against a bolt on the engine?

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I actually replaced the starter solenoid already, even though it didn't need it. I also push-started the bitch when cold and it still didn't start easily. Maybe I'll make a video of the bike so everybody can see what I mean.

Yeah i'm surprised you're having so many issues on the last year of the F2 with like 11k miles? Mines got 18.4k right now and it starts up really easily almost as if it's fuel injected, I just start it on full choke, and let it go at 3-4k rpm for about 15 seconds and I can turn the choke all the way off and it settles into a nice idle. Totally different from my GS which has to be warmed up on full choke for a good 2-3 minutes, then running it at half choke if in stop and go for a while or I can turn it off completely if i'm hitting the highway. It takes a long rear end time for it to warm up properly, i'm thinking of just ordering a new stock can off ebay for like 80 bucks because I wonder if my current exhaust with the baffle removed affects it negatively, it's also loud as gently caress and I kinda feel bad when I start it up in the morning but it does sound pretty awesome. :(

Still gotta figure out why i'm losing coolant out of my brand new radiator cap, refilling the reservoir every 2 weeks a little bit isn't so bad but I want to figure it out. I wonder if I need to check the thermostat.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
Weird question, but why can't I be attracted to the girl who asked for a ride on my bike, and told me she has had sex on a "red crotch rocket" while it was being driven?

I should just buy a Harley :(

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

UserNotFound posted:

Weird question, but why can't I be attracted to the girl who asked for a ride on my bike, and told me she has had sex on a "red crotch rocket" while it was being driven?

Huh? How is sex on a crotch rocket even possible? Meh, Harley chicks are even worse methinks. No offense but if you bought a motorcycle to get girls and you aren't 16 then you are going to be disapponted. Just my two cents.

anonexpedient
Feb 23, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
How much in price, in terms of %, would you take off a bike that has a few scratches on it? Basically the bike got hit while it was parked, and it toppled over. Two fairings were replaced, and a third was not because it just has some scratches on it. They're definitely noticeable, but not from a distance. The engine casing that pokes out has some scratches on it as well.

anonexpedient fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 1, 2010

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009
My bonneville has a little bit of oil that has seemingly seeped out of the crankcase. There isn't enough to have spilled or dripped, it just looks like some dampness around the seem. Is this something to worry about? Do I need to replace the gasket there?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

anonexpedient posted:

How much in price, in terms of %, would you take off a bike that has a few scratches on it? Basically the bike got hit while it was parked, and it toppled over. Two fairings were replaced, and a third was not because it just has some scratches on it. They're definitely noticeable, but not from a distance. The engine casing that pokes out has some scratches on it as well.

You can't really define it in terms of a %. It could be 5%, it could be 30%, depending on the bike and overall condition.

niethan posted:

Is the engine ground a certain wire or can I just put it up against a bolt on the engine?

You can ground it anywhere on the engine that's unpainted.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I'm looking at some job possibilities in Stuttgart; do we have any goons with knowledge of bike availability and general moto-possibilities in Germany, particularly down in the South?

Compared to the US, would that area be more motorbike-friendly, decent selection of bikes available at reasonable price, etc? Are there many cool German bikes we don't often see in the US? For what it's worth, I like Standard/traditional type bikes, and I also like bikes smaller/lighter than most Americans favour, so hoping there's maybe some popular German or French bikes over there in the 350lb, ~500cc, ~40hp range, something nice and easy-handling for city riding and the quieter highways.

Any "quality of life" comments about motorcycling while living in Germany would at least get me started.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Stupid question time: Can I check compression using the kick start and if the carbs are off the bike?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

UserNotFound posted:

Because you don't enjoy a case of scorching herpes? Probably for the best.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Crayvex posted:

Huh? How is sex on a crotch rocket even possible? Meh, Harley chicks are even worse methinks. No offense but if you bought a motorcycle to get girls and you aren't 16 then you are going to be disapponted. Just my two cents.

I don't think it is possible, but I was just making a joke about being gay(thanks, Southpark) for turning down an obvious offer for kinky sex. Also, I couldn't care less what people think of my bike or the fact I ride... and if I did, I'd certainly buy a flashier bike (82 GS550Lol), probably care that my gear doesn't match, and probably have banged the ugly chick anyways.

And I'm not being all :goonsay: either
I just happen not to be attracted to people who I don't think weigh less than I do.

UserNotFound fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 1, 2010

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

infraboy posted:

Yeah i'm surprised you're having so many issues on the last year of the F2 with like 11k miles?

Tell me about it. Maybe I do still have a fuel issue. It idles like poo poo and will sometimes want to die if I don't help it with throttle, and the revs tend to hang when I blip the throttle. Guess I'll try richening the fuel mixture.

Also, DON'T PUT A FUCKTON OF SEAFOAM IN YOUR GAS TANK. My bike stranded me at a streetlight and I couldn't get it started again. Ended up having to drain about 2 gallons of fuel/seafoam out of the tank onto a parking lot, like an rear end in a top hat, and then walk to a gas station and get a 1 gallon container of fuel. Then I had to push start the bike for about 20 minutes to clear the carbs because of course my battery was near-dead from all the cranking I had to do to get the thing started previously. FML

And yet I love bikes so much I keep coming back.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well, you're only supposed to use like 1 oz. per gallon of gas or something like that.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I know. But I thought that maybe, just maybe, I knew more than the people who made Seafoam and dumped the whole thing in my gas tank. It even drove for about 20 miles before the layers of Seafoam made it into my carbs, so I guess fuel is denser than that poo poo is.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I'm looking at some job possibilities in Stuttgart; do we have any goons with knowledge of bike availability and general moto-possibilities in Germany, particularly down in the South?

Compared to the US, would that area be more motorbike-friendly, decent selection of bikes available at reasonable price, etc? Are there many cool German bikes we don't often see in the US? For what it's worth, I like Standard/traditional type bikes, and I also like bikes smaller/lighter than most Americans favour, so hoping there's maybe some popular German or French bikes over there in the 350lb, ~500cc, ~40hp range, something nice and easy-handling for city riding and the quieter highways.

Any "quality of life" comments about motorcycling while living in Germany would at least get me started.

I had the pleasure of doing a work rotation in Stuttgart. It's a beautiful city and there are motorcyclists everywhere! Keep in mind that the weather doesn't permit year round riding but I do have some pretty funny pictures of motorcycles covered in snow. Then again, that shouldn't be a big deal with the super awesome public transportation system in Stuttgart. I had a U-Bahn stop right outside my flat. I took the trains everywhere. A month long local train pass cost me around 60 euro. It covered the main areas of Stuttgart.

I didn't do any riding while I was there, mostly because I was supposed to fix a friend's bike but I spent all my free time exploring Europe on the trains. I will say that the roads down there scared the crap out of this yank. Nothing seemed to make sense. It was weird to see motorcycles on the Autobahn. I'm not sure I want to be out there with the crazies riding 260 KM/H.

Unfortunately for me there was bike accident right outside my flat. That pretty much killed any riding after my wife saw it.

How can you ride when you have things like this on the road!

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I live in Stuttgart. There's only BMW here as far as german bikes are concerned, the rest is japanes mostly and some italian ones. We got more 125cc bikes than you have over there cause you can get a license for them when you're 16. We also got a lot of bike with 27 to 34 hp, cause there's a 2 year period where you're restricted to 34hp after you get your license. You can probably get a GS500 or something like that for 1000 to 2000 euros. Check out mobile.de and motoscout24.de for listings. From Stuttgart you can go on daytours through the black forest, which has pretty awesome twisties.

Crayvex posted:

Marienplatz, right?

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Hey guys, I'm currently getting my motorcycle license and I'm fortunate enough to be able to start on my sister's GS500E. This bike has been stowed for about 2 years, and we're looking to do some restoration on it.

First, her boyfriend is a long time biker, and has done most of the wrenching needed on his own bike. I read that it's a good idea to drain the fuel after it's been idle as long as this bike has, but he didn't think it would be necessary. What's the verdict?

Second, we're going to get a new battery, spark plugs, and maybe a chain / sprocket set. Any recommended items, or stuff to stay away from?

Third, the bike is a little low for me, as I'm 6'2" tall and the shifter and foot brake end up being in somewhat uncomfortable positions. Is there any solution apart from riding with a pillow under my rear end or something :v:

Anything else I should be doing while we're working on it? I've read that carb cleaning should probably be done, and maybe valve adjustment. We may just have a shop take care of the last part.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Icept posted:

First, her boyfriend is a long time biker, and has done most of the wrenching needed on his own bike. I read that it's a good idea to drain the fuel after it's been idle as long as this bike has, but he didn't think it would be necessary. What's the verdict?

I would drain the tank. That fuel won't be good anymore and keeping it around is just going to complicate any kind of troubleshooting if the bike doesn't run right. Unless the GS500 has some sort of retarded design it should only take 10 minutes to drain the tank.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Icept posted:

Hey guys, I'm currently getting my motorcycle license and I'm fortunate enough to be able to start on my sister's GS500E. This bike has been stowed for about 2 years, and we're looking to do some restoration on it.

Second, we're going to get a new battery, spark plugs, and maybe a chain / sprocket set. Any recommended items, or stuff to stay away from?

Third, the bike is a little low for me, as I'm 6'2" tall and the shifter and foot brake end up being in somewhat uncomfortable positions. Is there any solution apart from riding with a pillow under my rear end or something :v:

Anything else I should be doing while we're working on it? I've read that carb cleaning should probably be done, and maybe valve adjustment. We may just have a shop take care of the last part.

Second the draining the tank. Especially if it hasn't been stabilized properly. You're probably going to have to clean the carbs too.

If your sprockets are in good shape (they should be), I'd just replace the chain.

As to comfort, you can adjust the position of the shifter, the rear brake, and the levers to make things more comfortable for you.

I'd check that the tires aren't dry rotted, if it was stored out of the sun in a temperature controlled garage and the tires were relatively new when they went into storage, you're probably ok. Also, flush all the brake fluid out, after 2 years it's going to look like tea and be fairly contaminated.

Also this should go without saying, but just in case: change the oil and filter.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

niethan posted:

I live in Stuttgart. There's only BMW here as far as german bikes are concerned, the rest is japanes mostly and some italian ones. We got more 125cc bikes than you have over there cause you can get a license for them when you're 16. We also got a lot of bike with 27 to 34 hp, cause there's a 2 year period where you're restricted to 34hp after you get your license. You can probably get a GS500 or something like that for 1000 to 2000 euros. Check out mobile.de and motoscout24.de for listings. From Stuttgart you can go on daytours through the black forest, which has pretty awesome twisties.

Marienplatz, right?

Yeah! I lived above the Backzeit. I miss Stuttgart terribly, especially the Volksfest.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Thanks guys, I'll make sure to go over the stuff you mentioned.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift
I headed south yesterday and today and found some nice roads with some sweet twisties. It was mostly awesome, but there's a section of the one road that is a bit rough, and it's absolutely brutal on the bike. I'm spending most of the ride on that section dodging divets in the road because each one bottoms out my back end and puts a hurtin on my rear.

I'm assuming this is a shock issue. Is it possible to adjust the rear shocks? If not, what do I need to replace/how much and I looking to spend/how difficult is it? I'd like to take a stab at it myself if it's noob-worthy.

Edit: 79 GS750L w/ 14k miles

orthod0ks fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 3, 2010

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

orthod0ks posted:

I headed south yesterday and today and found some nice roads with some sweet twisties. It was mostly awesome, but there's a section of the one road that is a bit rough, and it's absolutely brutal on the bike. I'm spending most of the ride on that section dodging divets in the road because each one bottoms out my back end and puts a hurtin on my rear.

I'm assuming this is a shock issue. Is it possible to adjust the rear shocks? If not, what do I need to replace/how much and I looking to spend/how difficult is it? I'd like to take a stab at it myself if it's noob-worthy.

We need to know the bike for specifics-all bikes are somewhat adjustable, but the location and nature of these adjustments varies considerably.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Gnomad posted:

We need to know the bike for specifics-all bikes are somewhat adjustable, but the location and nature of these adjustments varies considerably.

Oh, yea, duh. It's a '79 GS750L with about 14k miles.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

orthod0ks posted:

Oh, yea, duh. It's a '79 GS750L with about 14k miles.

These shocks are probably only adjustable for preload then. Look on the rear shocks, you'll see a collar with some scallops, the scallops ride on a pin, it's arranged somewhat like a ramp. Those are the preload adjustments, the farther up the ramp ypu go the more preload you have and the harsher your ride. You can usually tap the ridges in the collar with a punch and hammer to llosen them but tightening them is another matter.
The original suspension equipment on the old UJM's were pretty basic even in the old days and haven't aged well. You may want to look into aftermarket sloutions.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Gnomad posted:

These shocks are probably only adjustable for preload then. Look on the rear shocks, you'll see a collar with some scallops, the scallops ride on a pin, it's arranged somewhat like a ramp. Those are the preload adjustments, the farther up the ramp ypu go the more preload you have and the harsher your ride. You can usually tap the ridges in the collar with a punch and hammer to llosen them but tightening them is another matter.
The original suspension equipment on the old UJM's were pretty basic even in the old days and haven't aged well. You may want to look into aftermarket sloutions.

The price range varies an absurd amount. What should I be looking to spend? These adjustable can be had for ~$100 (http://www.jcwhitney.com/adjustable-shocks-and-springs-mc/p2007058.jcwx). From there the price goes up drastically, $300+.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
The $100 ones give you preload adjustments, while the damping will be better than the old shocks you still won't have the ability to adjust compression and rebound damping. It doesn't seem like much but once you've ridden a bike with better suspension components it will be a revelation.
Also, you can change your fork oil. The 30 year old fish oil in there now is likely fairly nasty. A lighter oil will loosen up the forks, heavier will tighten, the idea is that you can do a lot to adjust the forks but the rear shocks are usually sealed units.$300 should get you rear shocks that are matched to your wieght and riding style.

These guys- http://www.davequinnmotorcycles.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/HAGON_TWIN_SHOCKS.html Hagons are going to be better than JC Whitney shocks.

Gnomad fucked around with this message at 08:41 on May 3, 2010

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

orthod0ks posted:

The price range varies an absurd amount. What should I be looking to spend? These adjustable can be had for ~$100 (http://www.jcwhitney.com/adjustable-shocks-and-springs-mc/p2007058.jcwx). From there the price goes up drastically, $300+.

I have these on my '77 KZ650 and they handle great but are back destroyingly stiff over large bumps. I think its because they're designed to fit a wide range of bikes and the springs tend towards the heavier ones. Your bike weighs a good 100 pounds more than mine so you may find them to be just right. I'm a light guy (165lbs) and heavier riders haven't had a problem with harshness riding my bike.

That said they were a thousand fold improvement for my bike. I didn't realize how badly the rear end was flopping around until I replaced them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

8ender posted:

I have these on my '77 KZ650 and they handle great but are back destroyingly stiff over large bumps. I think its because they're designed to fit a wide range of bikes and the springs tend towards the heavier ones. Your bike weighs a good 100 pounds more than mine so you may find them to be just right. I'm a light guy (165lbs) and heavier riders haven't had a problem with harshness riding my bike.

That said they were a thousand fold improvement for my bike. I didn't realize how badly the rear end was flopping around until I replaced them.

I also put these on my GS550L, which weighs about 520lbs? I weight 215ish, and with no pre-load i still find them stiff enough for my liking. The original shocks only had about 8,000 miles one them, and for $100 or so it was the biggest improvement I've made to my bike, other than ditching the crappy L bars :D