Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Wow that thing looks dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

chupacabraTERROR posted:

e2: Actually just bought this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=23-129-005 $55 is too good to pass up, especially for something I'm trying to see if I like it. Gonna try this + a wireless 10key that I've got lying around. If I really like the setup I'll get the fancy mechanical 10key. If I hate it, I'll sell it and get the Das or maybe an X8.

Can't go wrong with CM boards, they're pretty good especially for the price. Good way to get a feel for whether you like Cherry Browns or not.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I want a CODE. I'm sad. I dithered and they're all gone again.

I take it no-one else sells makes keyboards with Clears? Are the switches super rare?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

chippy posted:

I want a CODE. I'm sad. I dithered and they're all gone again.

I take it no-one else sells makes keyboards with Clears? Are the switches super rare?

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=50

That's a page I found just by doing a quick search. So they're rarer but there are still other models out there you could consider.

My FC660C/EG came in today. It's my first Topre board, and I'm sold. Definitely a much different feel than the Cherry switches but it suits me much better. It's almost like a very crisp rubber dome, I love it. Too bad there's a such a premium placed on Topre boards.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Josh Lyman posted:

The Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 is on sale at a number of retailers for $25 right now, so I picked one up at Best Buy. I always thought an elevated palm rest area made more sense seeing as your fingers hang downward if your wrists are completely relaxed.

I've had less than 12 hours with it, and the spacebar is a piece of poo poo. If you press it in the middle, it goes down normally, but if you press it off-center with your hands in typing position, it's extremely stiff. This seems to have a widespread problem/design flaw. Has anyone had experience with this or another split keyboard? It seems pretty great otherwise so I'd love to keep it, but there's nothing ergonomic about having to pound the spacebar. My current keyboard ergnonomically okay, the Comfort Curve 2000, so it's not the end of the world if I have to return the 4000:

I've used a model m-15, a kinesis advantage pro, and a u-tron. I can recommend all of them highly. Current daily driver is the u-tron, and have no intention of switching to something else unless they go out of business and the one I have breaks.

I'll probably be getting a spare in a few months just in case.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

DarkJC posted:

That's a page I found just by doing a quick search. So they're rarer but there are still other models out there you could consider.

My FC660C/EG came in today. It's my first Topre board, and I'm sold. Definitely a much different feel than the Cherry switches but it suits me much better. It's almost like a very crisp rubber dome, I love it. Too bad there's a such a premium placed on Topre boards.

Welcome to the thock. Ive got a realforce 55g as my main board. Topre is def a curse, it sucks to prefer the keyboard that you almost cant get any cool keycaps for.

EliteKeyboards sells a red esc key, thats about the only topre keys I know of still retail.

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

The Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 is on sale at a number of retailers for $25 right now, so I picked one up at Best Buy. I always thought an elevated palm rest area made more sense seeing as your fingers hang downward if your wrists are completely relaxed.

I've had less than 12 hours with it, and the spacebar is a piece of poo poo. If you press it in the middle, it goes down normally, but if you press it off-center with your hands in typing position, it's extremely stiff. This seems to have a widespread problem/design flaw. Has anyone had experience with this or another split keyboard? It seems pretty great otherwise so I'd love to keep it, but there's nothing ergonomic about having to pound the spacebar. My current keyboard ergnonomically okay, the Comfort Curve 2000, so it's not the end of the world if I have to return the 4000:

The worst about the Natural 4000 isn't the spacebar but the poor assembly making the whole thing shake noisily whenever you're typing a bit fast.
It was so terrible my coworkers were relieved when I switched to a KBT with mechanical switches.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Speaking of Topre keycaps, I'm desperately looking for a white left shift key, pls pm if you have one to spare. I have grey Topre keys to trade too.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Rapid-I is out.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Tenkeyless-Mechanical-Individual/dp/B00JM61264/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399906927&sr=8-1&keywords=rapid-i

Only in browns :(

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

DarkJC posted:

Oh, thanks, I appreciate the thought, but I forgot to mention I'm in a 3rd world country (the UK). I was debating importing a CODE because it looks pretty perfect (layout aside), but these ones don't seem worth the money/effort.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Well, a month later, NCIX is sending my ducky shine 3 back, and they CLAIM the lighting issue is fixed. Even sent me a youtube.

Still, 2/10 would not recommend. Keyboard is 8/10, service is 0/10.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Josh Lyman posted:

I've had less than 12 hours with it, and the spacebar is a piece of poo poo. If you press it in the middle, it goes down normally, but if you press it off-center with your hands in typing position, it's extremely stiff.

They make a wireless scissor-switch version, try it out at Staples or something. The discrete numpad is nice when angled, and they include the removable front lift to encourage natural posture like the MS4000. I got one months ago, it's great if you're OK with the switch type.

men with puns
Feb 8, 2010
Young Orc

Josh Lyman posted:

I've gone through several of the 4000's. One had a spacebar problem, but it wasn't especially bad. I think it went away on its own fairly quickly. The last one I had had a problem with the N key where it wouldn't always activate even if you bottomed out with it. However, that also went away on its own, though it spent a few months collecting dust on a shelf. I used a 2000 for a while too but the slight curve didn't make it seem any more ergonomic than a standard keyboard.

I have one of the newer wireless ones, and while the scissor switches are an improvement, there are several other things I don't like (layout on the right side, wireless signal typical for MS keyboards, squeaky spacebar, wrist rest). I wish more companies had models like these because the negative incline and split-key style would be very hard for me to give up. Most of the options are difficult to buy, expensive, or don't look like an improvement. I considered a Kinesis Advantage but that's a lot of money to rest on the hope I could get used to that key layout. For now MS keyboards seem like the practical option.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Arboc posted:

I've gone through several of the 4000's. One had a spacebar problem, but it wasn't especially bad. I think it went away on its own fairly quickly. The last one I had had a problem with the N key where it wouldn't always activate even if you bottomed out with it. However, that also went away on its own, though it spent a few months collecting dust on a shelf. I used a 2000 for a while too but the slight curve didn't make it seem any more ergonomic than a standard keyboard.

I have one of the newer wireless ones, and while the scissor switches are an improvement, there are several other things I don't like (layout on the right side, wireless signal typical for MS keyboards, squeaky spacebar, wrist rest). I wish more companies had models like these because the negative incline and split-key style would be very hard for me to give up. Most of the options are difficult to buy, expensive, or don't look like an improvement. I considered a Kinesis Advantage but that's a lot of money to rest on the hope I could get used to that key layout. For now MS keyboards seem like the practical option.

tented ergodox!

men with puns
Feb 8, 2010
Young Orc
The only way that could be more difficult to get is if you had to find the parts individually in bins of old junk at Goodwills and pawn shops. It looks like it could be great, but I think I'd prefer something that I know I could replace if I needed to.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So I decided to forgo the wireless requirement on my keyboard and I picked up a Corsair Vengence K95 Cherry Red. Loving it so far, although it is going to take a little while to get used to typing and gaming with it. It's surprising how different it is to use. It's pretty drat loud as well. I can't imagine what the louder versions sound like. It does feel very solidly made and I am looking forward to getting comfortable with it. Thanks keyboard thread!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Internet Explorer posted:

So I decided to forgo the wireless requirement on my keyboard and I picked up a Corsair Vengence K95 Cherry Red. Loving it so far, although it is going to take a little while to get used to typing and gaming with it. It's surprising how different it is to use. It's pretty drat loud as well. I can't imagine what the louder versions sound like. It does feel very solidly made and I am looking forward to getting comfortable with it. Thanks keyboard thread!

You can Always get a pack of o rings for the keys; quiets things down quite a bit.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

You can Always get a pack of o rings for the keys; quiets things down quite a bit.

Interesting. You mean something like this? Looks like there are two types, the reds and the blues. The reds sound dampen more but reduce travel more (which I guess makes it more mushy?). The blues sound dampen less but don't reduce travel as much. Will have to do some more research. Thanks!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Internet Explorer posted:

Interesting. You mean something like this? Looks like there are two types, the reds and the blues. The reds sound dampen more but reduce travel more (which I guess makes it more mushy?). The blues sound dampen less but don't reduce travel as much. Will have to do some more research. Thanks!

Yeah those are the ones.

For content: GeekKeys.com just launched. They have some 104-key doubleshot sets for $23 bux. :f5h::shepspends:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
These also showed up recently. Someone earlier in the thread posted them.

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,slpads

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah those are the ones.

For content: GeekKeys.com just launched. They have some 104-key doubleshot sets for $23 bux. :f5h::shepspends:

Any idea what sort of keyboards they'll be offering? Right now it just lists as empty.

Also there's Das Keyboard Model S on Woot today: Cherry Red, Brown or Blue for $89.99 plus S&H, normally $139.99. $50 off is tempting but I've decided I really want to go sans numpad on my next keyboard.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Do I really need backlit keys? Because man, the new Das Keyboard 4 Professional is gorgeous.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

For the wireless mech & compact layout fans, Massdrop has the Noppoo Choc Wireless with Red switches & red backlighting up for sale.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Ok so, Feenix Autore three-month review; not happy with it. The paint is already wearing off and the USB connector is shorting out just from the action of typing. I reached out to them and they offered an RMA, but to be honest I think I'm just going to try and get my money back and get something else.

renzor
Jul 28, 2004

...I still get the ham, right? Good.
NCIX has the 87-key Topre Realforce for $184.99 during this week's sale.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/topre-se17t0-realforce-capacitive-switches-1b-86199-1114.htm

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
So time has come to claim my Logitech G15. I went to sleep and woke up this morning to find many of keys nonfunctional. I haven't purchased new keyboard since 2006 when I got this G15. Is the slider that turns off the "Windows" key a logitech only thing or has it propagated to other brands. I use Linux so the extra keys on the side aren't exactly useful any longer since the demon that runs them doesn't have a Linux port, just half assed abandoned projects.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

YouTuber posted:

So time has come to claim my Logitech G15. I went to sleep and woke up this morning to find many of keys nonfunctional. I haven't purchased new keyboard since 2006 when I got this G15. Is the slider that turns off the "Windows" key a logitech only thing or has it propagated to other brands. I use Linux so the extra keys on the side aren't exactly useful any longer since the demon that runs them doesn't have a Linux port, just half assed abandoned projects.

Some keyboards come with DIP switches that let you disable the windows key and little modifications like that. It really depends on the manufacturer though, I'd say it's not a common feature.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

My Razer keyboard (free from my brother, I swear!) is kinda buggy, in that every once in awhile it's sending Enter key signals constantly and requires me to disconnect and reconnect it, and then it is fine. I'm also annoyed with how wide it is. I love numpads but am interested in getting a narrow keyboard. Is there a go-to cheap Cherry Brown/Blue switch narrow keyboard?

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Cooler Master / CM Storm or Rosewill TKL on Newegg. Can be had for $60-80

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ShaneB posted:

My Razer keyboard (free from my brother, I swear!) is kinda buggy, in that every once in awhile it's sending Enter key signals constantly and requires me to disconnect and reconnect it, and then it is fine. I'm also annoyed with how wide it is. I love numpads but am interested in getting a narrow keyboard. Is there a go-to cheap Cherry Brown/Blue switch narrow keyboard?
In addition to the previous post to mine, these are not the cheapest, but one is a good deal for wireless, and you can't get much smaller than a Noppoo or Leopold:

http://www.elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=special&filter=spacesaver

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/noppoo-choc-wireless

Don't forget to get a numpad for when you need it:

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=leopold,tenkeypads

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Warning about those Leopold numpads: They don't output numpad keys, they act as duplicate top row numbers. It might not matter to you, but it's caught some people who use alt+numpad for symbols by surprise.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
That's a really odd design decision. I wonder what the rationale is.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Is the same true for the Filco ten key pads?

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah those are the ones.

Just got my blank key caps from these dudes plus some lavender ones for WSAD and arrows for my Das and it's absolutely perfect. Great fitment and really good quality for $20.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Bucket Joneses posted:

Is the same true for the Filco ten key pads?

As far as I know it's only Leopold that does that.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

ShaneB posted:

Hey wow I I didn't know that was a common thing for blackwidows. I narrowed it down to happening whenever the computer resumed from a deep standby. Used to happen with other keys too (s or a, sometimes tab) but a synapse firmware update fixed that. Problem went away when I upgraded to Windows8.1 from 7, strangely.

I actually really like my blackwidow for all its faults, but I've got a CODE MX Green on the way to replace it (mostly for the cleaner/less gamey look).

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

DarkJC posted:

That's a really odd design decision. I wonder what the rationale is.

Probably designed by a rageful Mac user who is used to Shift+Number working.

Gravefront
Feb 5, 2014

by Ralp
Yeah, that's the one thing I'll never get used to on a non-Mac. You mean I don't have immediate access to like a gorillion different accents just because I have an ALT key on my keyboard?

Typing in Swedish on a US keyboard on any operating system but OS X is a pain in the rear end. The price we pay for dedicated gaming rigs and convenience, I suppose.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Gravefront posted:

Yeah, that's the one thing I'll never get used to on a non-Mac. You mean I don't have immediate access to like a gorillion different accents just because I have an ALT key on my keyboard?

Typing in Swedish on a US keyboard on any operating system but OS X is a pain in the rear end. The price we pay for dedicated gaming rigs and convenience, I suppose.

On Windows, just edit the keyboard layout to the way you want it.

Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator is a great bit of software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

YouTuber posted:

You should be able to pay any TV repair shop $15 to add in one of these. All they have to do is cut the ground trace for the windows key(s) and wire in a switch in series

• Locked thread