Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Drink-Mix Man posted:

What the gently caress how can anyone think Picard is worse than Discovery

Discovery has a way better backbone than Picard. Better core premise, better ship, better crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Admiralty Flag posted:

I just wanted to say that this reference is appreciated, and so are you

:cheers:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm one of the biggest Enterprise defenders around, but I still can't imagine ranking DS9, TNG, or TOS below it. Maybe it can squeeze past TOS on math alone if you coldly tally the # of good episodes... but still...

I rank TOS and VOY below it. TNG and DS9 are still the better shows here.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Discovery has a way better backbone than Picard. Better core premise, better ship, better crew.

Plus, for all the flaws it has, it still feels like it has a heart. Picard just felt like, “hey, let’s get these actors together to recite my fanfic”.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Drink-Mix Man posted:

There are more memorable episodes in Discovery than Picard. However, most of them are in season 2.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

HD DAD posted:

Plus, for all the flaws it has, it still feels like it has a heart. Picard just felt like, “hey, let’s get these actors together to recite my fanfic”.

So I guess you could say Picard had an artificial heart?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
This is definitive, don't @ me

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:agreed: 1000%

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

DS9 S7 is way better than that but that's the only strong disagree I got.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Fair cop

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
that's pretty correct

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Grand Fromage posted:

DS9 S7 is way better than that but that's the only strong disagree I got.

One could argue that the finale of DS9 was a real stinker and brought down the rest of the season.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

DrNutt posted:

One could argue that the finale of DS9 was a real stinker and brought down the rest of the season.

I'm happy to argue this except I don't really like the rest of it either

episodes like "field of fire" and im like.. what

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
DS9 season 7 is still good but the Pah Wraith stuff sucks and it drags down everything else

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Nemesis was that engaging?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Number_6 posted:

Nemesis has that trainwreck quality where you just can’t look away

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Number_6 posted:

I mean, two decades later we still can't stop talking about that dune buggy

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
*whispers "the scimitar" into farmer crack-rear end's ear*

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I mean, two decades later we still can't stop talking about that dune buggy

hehehhe

it was a

dune

buggy

get it

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Mostly accurate

Picard S1 I would put lower and more to the right, it was usually interesting but not good

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
look I liked anson mount too but that chart is a bit generous to recent material

e: picard is better than STD only because of my av

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Tighclops posted:

look I liked anson mount too but that chart is a bit generous to recent material

e: picard is better than STD only because of my av

Disco S1 is way at the bottom and S2 is like half of a good season elevated by the Enterprise crew. Picard I just kinda stuck square in the middle because I still don’t know what to think of it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Drink-Mix Man posted:

No I agree, like Disco season 1 is a trainwreck but there's still more going on there than in Picard.

Pick posted:

*whispers "the scimitar" into farmer crack-rear end's ear*

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
In stark contrast to the material that's been under discussion, I simultaneously streamed Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home with some of my friends tonight and we had a great time. It's such a heartwarming movie. I'm so glad it exists and I'm also sad that we will never see a Star Trek movie like that again.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

HD DAD posted:

Archer is a bad captain. He’s naive at best, and spiteful and aggressive at worst. T’Pol treating him like a slow child is one of the things I like about the show.

I think Archer's personal decisions have gotten the ENT crew into more trouble than Janeway, and the literal entire premise of Voyager is that Janeway made a decision that set up the show.

Like, I get that he's supposed to be the trusting doe-eyed starship captain but god he just comes off as uniquely unqualified to make any decision with consequences.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I keep trying to convince my friends to watch Final Frontier but every time I bring it over for movie nights they immediately shoot it down.

Share your secret pain with me, cowards! :argh:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I keep trying to convince my friends to watch Final Frontier but every time I bring it over for movie nights they immediately shoot it down.

Share your secret pain with me, cowards! :argh:

"Watch the movie or start eatin that trash can"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

In stark contrast to the material that's been under discussion, I simultaneously streamed Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home with some of my friends tonight and we had a great time. It's such a heartwarming movie. I'm so glad it exists and I'm also sad that we will never see a Star Trek movie like that again.

🐋 🖖 🐋

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
TNG
DS9

TOS

VOY, ENT

STD, PIC

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

FlamingLiberal posted:

A Night in Sickbay is one of the worst episodes of the series

franchise, credit where its due.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

DS9/TNG/TOS/TOS Movies
TAS

Star Trek: Beyond
TNG Movies

VOY

ENT

Rest of the JJTrek Movies

PIC/DIS

Drone fucked around with this message at 11:38 on May 12, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

thotsky posted:

TNG
DS9

TOS

VOY, ENT

STD, PIC
This is where I am at, but I would put VOY just above ENT because there are more good episodes of Voyager than Enterprise.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is where I am at, but I would put VOY just above ENT because there are more good episodes of Voyager than Enterprise.

I don't disagree with the latter part, but ENT has Jeffrey Combs as Shran, so I can't pick between them.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah but there are more seasons of Voyager and therefore more deadweight, so I think that if you were to pick an episode at random from both ENT and VOY, the ENT one would have better odds of being good.

I actually like ENT a lot, but I watched a lot of it, along with TOS, in my early Trek days, so I will concede my opinion may be colored a bit by nostalgia.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I liked Night in Sickbay. Archer is totally a pissant baby in it but I liked that. He's emotionally exhausted from this journey he thought he was prepared for but wasn't. He hasn't gotten laid in ages. His dog night loving die. He's dealing with these aliens who loving hate his guts. He's unraveling and he just needs to vent.

Phlox meanwhile is just trying to do his job and decides he is going to treat Archer's problems like a medical problem and treat him with some basic listening and advice. He basically helps him get his poo poo together a little bit. I thought it was as nice ep that showed Phlox as a really cool guy and Archer's flaws laid bare but in an empathetic way where you feel a little sorry for him.

I also liked where he realized he was attracted to T'Pol and asked if he should tell her and Phlox was like "Jesus Christ no, under no circumstances do that. Now that you've realized your attracted to her, just ask yourself if that's affecting your command decisions and don't let it. Christ."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Uncle Lloyd posted:

Yeah but there are more seasons of Voyager and therefore more deadweight, so I think that if you were to pick an episode at random from both ENT and VOY, the ENT one would have better odds of being good.

I actually like ENT a lot, but I watched a lot of it, along with TOS, in my early Trek days, so I will concede my opinion may be colored a bit by nostalgia.
I feel like i could maybe count the number of great Enterprise episodes on one hand though. There really aren’t many.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Yeah tbh even when Enterprise improves a bit, most of its improvement is on the scale of larger plots and continuity between episodes. There’s not too many hours of tv in there that are good in themselves.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Season-to-season, I found myself thinking more episodes of Enterprise were good-to-great than Voyager could ever hope for. Probably a little less than the usual hit rate for TNG or DS9.

It’s definitely a different type of show than the four that preceded it. It feels a bit more grounded, and the characters more believable as people - though that was an intentional break from the 24th century human perfection. Archer is very bad at his job, and often proves the Vulcans right in assuming humans are idiot space babies, but I enjoy that dynamic. Him, along with T’Pol, Trip, and Phlox feel like some of the better rounded characters in Trek, and they all play off each other really nicely.

Heck, even Hoshi and Reed have more substance to them than Harry Kim or Chakotay ever did. They did definitely forget Travis was a character after the first half of season one though, and would only remember he was part of the cast sporadically.

Idk, I did a recent rewatch of TNG-ENT, and I was actually very surprised by how good Enterprise was. It’s very low-key and homey feeling, with the earlier seasons feeling very slice-of-life, and the latter two doing some pretty great plot-driven Trek. I remember watching it live, and spent years pretty much ranking it dead last, being bitter that they cancelled it “right when it finally got good”. But now I realize it was kinda always good.

There are some real clunkers of episodes though. It’s funny seeing some posters praise A Night In Sickbay, as I very clearly remember it being generally reviled at the time lmao.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I liked Night in Sickbay.

I agree with this entire post

Also I agree that ENT feels much more like Star trek than either recent show

Yeah, Archer is a boob, but that seems to be sort of the point

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It was definitely reviled at the time. Even back then I was like "I thought this was a it good episode?" So did the cast, I remember them saying they were really surprised by the reception because they felt pretty good about that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've said it before.

On paper, Enterprise is a better show. The production values are better. They do a better job at serial storytelling (even if the plotlines are kinda trash). It actually follows the central thesis of the show instead of being a hollowed out TNG with some scarcity elements.

But Voyager has a level of camp that makes it more entertaining to pick up an episode here or there. There is a distinct tone shift that happens with Trek over the years. TOS was very much put on like a stage play more often than not. Those elements tone down though TNG and DS9, but a lot of that is still very much there all that way to Voyager.

Enterprise is the first crack at making a Trek show that conforms to fully modern storytelling and it just doesn't have interesting enough plots/scripts/characters to fill up the space most of the time. There are some standout episodes, but most of the time it's just a well executed dour and joyless affair.