Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Pick posted:

Obviously Kirk spock bones

but not necessarily in that order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

:haw:

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Friend is watching ST for the first time and starting with TOS, so I watched the first episode Star Trek Continues.

Surprisingly fun once I got past the frequently amateurish acting and slightly nasal voices. Which honestly were way less annoying than I thought they’d be in the end.

The guy playing Kirk nails a lot of subtle Kirk/Shatnerisms while not doing a parody or impression on the broad strokes so it’s a lot of fun to see how he’ll react to things.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Pascallion posted:

The guy playing Kirk nails a lot of subtle Kirk/Shatnerisms while not doing a parody or impression on the broad strokes so it’s a lot of fun to see how he’ll react to things.

Not to spoil your fun, but he's also a massive creep!

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Oh god damnit.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Just watch Star Trek TAS, that's literally Star Trek continuing

Shatner and Nimoy and Takei and Doohan and

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

:sigh: *hands over my crown*

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

TAS is canon as poo poo. That's the bottom line.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Nessus posted:

TAS is canon as poo poo. That's the bottom line.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Thanks to this thread, I’m slowly getting through Avenue 5. Slowly because I deal badly with cringe-based humour, and Ep 5 which I just watched, has been the worst for it so far. I should probably find the thread (assuming there is one).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
thread for Avenue 5

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's amazing fitting for the show that the set burned down while they still had some filming to do.

It also means that season 2 is going to be delayed (even more) because they have to rebuild and that's pretty much impossible right at the moment.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The UK govt has given permission for tv/film production to start again, although how that’s going to work while maintaining social distancing (which the govt also requires) is its own mystery.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

The UK govt has given permission for tv/film production to start again, although how that’s going to work while maintaining social distancing (which the govt also requires) is its own mystery.

Imagine this, but with RP accents https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCpf0LNYsYA

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

In all my watches of Deep Space 9 I never noticed the giant fish-thing skeleton on the second floor of the promenade.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I mentioned a while back that I'm in the middle of a Dark Shadows binge-watch and that Mitchell Ryan (who plays the first Burke Devlin) would go on the play Commander Riker's father, Kyle Riker, on TNG.

I have now discovered the origin of the Riker leg-over manuever:

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Mister Kingdom posted:

I mentioned a while back that I'm in the middle of a Dark Shadows binge-watch and that Mitchell Ryan (who plays the first Burke Devlin) would go on the play Commander Riker's father, Kyle Riker, on TNG.

I have now discovered the origin of the Riker leg-over manuever:

The ultimate evolution of sitting.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

More TOS-

This Side of Paradise- A good Spock episode. It at least makes clear that yes, Spock is capable of loving someone even if he can’t really show it due to his nature. I’m not really sure why McCoy suddenly sounds like Foghorn Leghorn when affected by the euphoria spores, however.

Devil in the Dark- I have seen this several times before but it still holds up well.

Errand of Mercy- Another classic episode that I saw years ago. I was surprised how much of the Klingon cultural ideas are already in place. Now granted this is before all of the ‘honorable space Vikings’ of TNG/DS9 so it’s not the modern interpretation. Kirk growing more and more upset at the Organians just chilling out was pretty amusing.

City on the Edge of Forever- It’s still a good episode but this rewatch was the first time I realized that a homeless guy accidentally vaporizes himself with McCoy’s hand phaser and this is not brought up at all again in the episode.

Operation-Annihilate- Come for the flying pancakes, stay for Shatner playing Kirk’s dead brother with a bad fake wig and mustache in a quick shot

Who Mourns for Adonais?- Such a weird episode. The Greek gods are apparently real, the science officer is horny for Apollo, and of course the giant green hand holding the ship in place. The idea of the episode isn’t bad, but I said ‘gently caress off’ when Kirk spends the whole episode saying that humans no longer need gods only to at the very end be like ‘well maybe we do?’. Shut up Kirk.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m not really sure why McCoy suddenly sounds like Foghorn Leghorn when affected by the euphoria spores, however.

Cause he’s a good old boy who keeps his accent under control most of the time, but is now on drugs

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I laughed that his first reaction is to go make a mint julep

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

FlamingLiberal posted:

More TOS-

This Side of Paradise- A good Spock episode. It at least makes clear that yes, Spock is capable of loving someone even if he can’t really show it due to his nature. I’m not really sure why McCoy suddenly sounds like Foghorn Leghorn when affected by the euphoria spores, however.

Devil in the Dark- I have seen this several times before but it still holds up well.

Errand of Mercy- Another classic episode that I saw years ago. I was surprised how much of the Klingon cultural ideas are already in place. Now granted this is before all of the ‘honorable space Vikings’ of TNG/DS9 so it’s not the modern interpretation. Kirk growing more and more upset at the Organians just chilling out was pretty amusing.

City on the Edge of Forever- It’s still a good episode but this rewatch was the first time I realized that a homeless guy accidentally vaporizes himself with McCoy’s hand phaser and this is not brought up at all again in the episode.

Operation-Annihilate- Come for the flying pancakes, stay for Shatner playing Kirk’s dead brother with a bad fake wig and mustache in a quick shot

Who Mourns for Adonais?- Such a weird episode. The Greek gods are apparently real, the science officer is horny for Apollo, and of course the giant green hand holding the ship in place. The idea of the episode isn’t bad, but I said ‘gently caress off’ when Kirk spends the whole episode saying that humans no longer need gods only to at the very end be like ‘well maybe we do?’. Shut up Kirk.

You gotta cut them some slack and assume the network censors forced in that last "except the one God you know the real one wink wink"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

You gotta cut them some slack and assume the network censors forced in that last "except the one God you know the real one wink wink"
He was specifically talking about Apollo though. His last line was something like ‘maybe we just could have picked some leafs’ after Apollo loses his poo poo and fades into nothingness

There’s an earlier line by Kirk where he says ‘we like the one God just fine thank you’ as well.

TOS doesn’t at all deny the idea that there is still religion in the future, but it’s clearly not the mainstream anymore

My main issue is that Kirk immediately after meeting Apollo does not buy that this man is an actual god and gets to work on stopping him from keeping them on the planet. But at the very end he seems remorseful for doing what they needed to do to get off the planet despite him being pretty hostile to Apollo the entire episode

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I've been consuming a lot of post-TOS, pre-TNG media lately as part of a dumb project I've been working on in my free time the last year or two (reading through licensed fiction in publication order) and it's kinda funny how differently Trek's ideology was interpreted in the pre-TNG days. It's really interesting how TNG did a lot to sorta cement Trek's reputation as a center-left utopian vision.

Though of course Discovery and Picard are loving that legacy over in an extremely 2020's way.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I went to the Daystorm Institute Site (ditl.org) just to gently caress around since I haven't been there in ages and saw that the author, Graham Kennedy, died. It was a cool site when I wanted to see the difference between ships and see what fan cannon thought.

http://www.ditl.org/ Looks like he passed May 4 but didn't see anything itt around that time.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Hed posted:

I went to the Daystorm Institute Site (ditl.org) just to gently caress around since I haven't been there in ages and saw that the author, Graham Kennedy, died. It was a cool site when I wanted to see the difference between ships and see what fan cannon thought.

http://www.ditl.org/ Looks like he passed May 4 but didn't see anything itt around that time.

Aw man, that's sad. ditl.org was a staple of my nerdy teen years back in the first half of the aught's.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Pike series is a go.

https://twitter.com/ditzkoff/status/1261311449391149056?s=19

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds.

They really just need to rename CBS All Access to CBS All Trek.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
CBS All rear end-Trek

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

FlamingLiberal posted:

He was specifically talking about Apollo though. His last line was something like ‘maybe we just could have picked some leafs’ after Apollo loses his poo poo and fades into nothingness

There’s an earlier line by Kirk where he says ‘we like the one God just fine thank you’ as well.

TOS doesn’t at all deny the idea that there is still religion in the future, but it’s clearly not the mainstream anymore

My main issue is that Kirk immediately after meeting Apollo does not buy that this man is an actual god and gets to work on stopping him from keeping them on the planet. But at the very end he seems remorseful for doing what they needed to do to get off the planet despite him being pretty hostile to Apollo the entire episode

Oh I liked that line, Kirk felt sorry for Apollo after realizing that really the dude was just extremely lonely and sad, wishes they could have resolved it another way

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Oh I liked that line, Kirk felt sorry for Apollo after realizing that really the dude was just extremely lonely and sad, wishes they could have resolved it another way
It just seemed like too much of a last-minute swerve. Kirk did everything he could to avoid having to blow up the source of Apollo’s power but Apollo gave him no other choice

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

bull3964 posted:

The Pike series is a go.

:unsmith:

quote:

:smith:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
they still, somehow haven't made a better show than enterprise

i don't understand TV anymore

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
I mean, at least it’s not Kurtzman?

*sigh*

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

bull3964 posted:

The Pike series is a go.

YES MY BODY IS READY

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I am in favor of this development

It will not be perfect. I will absolutely watch it.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Don't pay money to see it until you know it's worth it

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Tighclops posted:

Don't pay money to see it until you know it's worth it

Given the... mixed reviews, I haven't even bothered yet to watch Picard, even when there was a free promo available.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Given the... mixed reviews, I haven't even bothered yet to watch Picard, even when there was a free promo available.

About 15% of Picard is worth it and is quite good.

Unfortunately it's modern storytelling so that 15% of actually good content requires you to wade through the 85% of poo poo in order to be able to make heads or tails of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Anson Mount and Rebecce Ramojin in bleepy greeble room talking about space nonsense should be fun.