Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

caberham posted:

China is lawful when it comes to large commercial contracts and lawyers. Or at least on the surface of things.

For better or worse, you should still sue and post everything in the forums for us to marvel

No one would expect it, and when a foreigner does something unexpected but not directly getting in the face of people with actual power everyone just wants to do whatever it takes to make it stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

caberham posted:

China is lawful when it comes to large commercial contracts and lawyers. Or at least on the surface of things.

Says the guy who likes to tell the story about how the federal police had to come beat up the local cops who were illegally detaining a major multinational's shipments on the orders of a scrap metal dealer pissed off about his kickbacks not arriving.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

goldboilermark posted:

Ceciltron had a poo poo boss. Ceciltron told boss to gently caress off and ran away. Spoiler you can't do that in China and if you do keep running ceciltron was convinced to try to sue boss for release letter even though both broke contract but that doesn't matter as most contracts I've seen are written against the foreigner and if you break it you lose. Goons told ceciltron to just leave, one or two felt China was lawful and said sue but this was terribly bad advice

I went looking for quotes but I couldn't find it and I'm lazy and it's time for bed. Bottom line is just check here if you're going to do something and then listen to what TWM says

Pretty much this. I doubted the Chinagoons, I was wrong. HEED MY CAUTIONARY TALE!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

So what AQI do you guys get out the masks? I assumed you'd be able to feel it when the air was bad from friends complaining, but I've never lived anywhere polluted before and my snot was black when I got home today despite never feeling a thing so apparently I can't tell. The internet seems to say 200 is definite mask time, any opinions?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

So what AQI do you guys get out the masks? I assumed you'd be able to feel it when the air was bad from friends complaining, but I've never lived anywhere polluted before and my snot was black when I got home today despite never feeling a thing so apparently I can't tell. The internet seems to say 200 is definite mask time, any opinions?

100, but I am perhaps a tad zealous in protecting my breathing apparatus from coal pollution.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

Says the guy who likes to tell the story about how the federal police had to come beat up the local cops who were illegally detaining a major multinational's shipments on the orders of a scrap metal dealer pissed off about his kickbacks not arriving.

That's local small time poo poo. I'm talking about large large SOE's and banks. The loans were bad but the books clean :laffo:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Ceciltron posted:

Pretty much this. I doubted the Chinagoons, I was wrong. HEED MY CAUTIONARY TALE!

He's wrong that he didn't go all the way :eng99:

It's ok, will host for you in HK, please tell us everything. Will your GF come over?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I spoke to a man named Abe who dolled out advice while building shoddy furniture. "You're sitting in the chair wrong," he barked. Moments later the chair collapsed, and the young girl fell onto the streets of Mong Kok.

"Told you," he said smugly as he stripped a screw and hammered in a lopsided nail.

"The problem with people who aren't me," he said, "are they lack the perspective of a high-numbered sky palace floor. So when a angel opportunity comes a-knocking, or when precious advices are given, these people just stuff their fingers in their ears, and then blame me when things go wrong."

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

caberham posted:

He's wrong that he didn't go all the way :eng99:

It's ok, will host for you in HK, please tell us everything. Will your GF come over?

Yep, GF will be with me, got all her passes and everything in order and got everything arranged. We're staying at the bishop lei Island Pacific (it was cheaper don't hurt me), from the 1st to the 5th (leaving on the 5th). We don't have anything concrete planned, save the broad goals of "eat some seafood", "meet goons" and (I hope she's not reading this, it will spoil a surprise) maybe disney|land|world|thing.

I'm willing to bring you something from here (Québec) if you there's anything special you miss about Canada (maple syrup? soap flavored gum?).

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
btw abe i'm just loving with you i have nothing against you

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

systran posted:

I spoke to a man named Abe who dolled out advice while building shoddy furniture. "You're sitting in the chair wrong," he barked. Moments later the chair collapsed, and the young girl fell onto the streets of Mong Kok.

More like fell onto his mong cock, amirite Abe?

Ceciltron posted:

I'm willing to bring you something from here (Québec) if you there's anything special you miss about Canada (maple syrup? soap flavored gum?).

Bring some of that secessionist agitating, I hear it's in high demand in HK these days

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

blinkyzero posted:

Bring some of that secessionist agitating, I hear it's in high demand in HK these days

I will bring a copy of "Les Nègres Blancs de l'Amérique", perhaps they will recognise in our second-class status their own plight.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah this actually illustrates his point that it's lawful for large corporations and lawyers. The feds came in and enforced the law here when some small time local guy was trying to be corrupt. Also China Law Blog guy says just this, that China's legal system is pretty functional and fair to his clients (foreign businesses operating in China). I think that guy knows more about it than any of us, considering the legal side of commercial contracts regarding foreign businesses has literally been his full time job for like 8 years or something.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

fart simpson posted:

Yeah this actually illustrates his point that it's lawful for large corporations and lawyers. The feds came in and enforced the law here when some small time local guy was trying to be corrupt. Also China Law Blog guy says just this, that China's legal system is pretty functional and fair to his clients (foreign businesses operating in China). I think that guy knows more about it than any of us, considering the legal side of commercial contracts regarding foreign businesses has literally been his full time job for like 8 years or something.

That's basically what my cousin says. He was of counsel with a firm in Shanghai that handled primarily international clients and he told me that most of the time the judges and the system in general tend to go for a pretty even-handed approach when settling, say, disputes between domestic companies and overseas partners.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ocean Park!!! If you go to both Disneyland and Ocean Park, do Disney first because everyone says Ocean Park is better.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

170 about, less if the other pollution is really thick or smelly or whatever

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
today from the 33rd floor of my office it looks like a white blanket outside, you literally can not see anything. :china:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

i'd hope it is lower way out in boonieville where gf lives :ohdear:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

fart simpson posted:

Okay I was more thinking that in a lawful country the feds wouldn't have to get involved in something as basic as a shipment of metal but I take your point.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

systran posted:

"Told you," he said smugly as he stripped a screw and hammered in a lopsided nail.

"The problem with people who aren't me," he said, "are they lack the perspective of a high-numbered sky palace floor. So when a angel opportunity comes a-knocking, or when precious advices are given, these people just stuff their fingers in their ears, and then blame me when things go wrong."

You have hurt the feelings of people who listen to NPR :downsrim:

9/10, it's Admiralty, not MongKok. Yeah we did make too many tables this one time without chairs :laffo: And we picked up all the building materials from a nearby dump. We sanded everything down and the corners as well, and did make sure none of the chairs were uneven. But that was only when I was around :smug: When I left, people were cutting corners and not sanding the corners :colbert:

Arglebargle III posted:

I can deal with 170 or higher, it's the smell which gets to me. My recent trip in Beijing I stayed at the worse hanting all seasons. It was a basement room with shared bathroom and ultra thin walls. But I woke up coughing, gagging, and panicking thinking there has to be some small fire.

Nope AQI just hit 330 :smith: Chengdu during winter was pretty bad, props to Argle teaching me how to put on a n95

It

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

peanut posted:

Ocean Park!!! If you go to both Disneyland and Ocean Park, do Disney first because everyone says Ocean Park is better.

:peanut:

Peanut is crazy. Peanut lives deep in the mountains and the ramshackle hut of peanut hangs a tattered American flag

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

caberham posted:

I can deal with 170 or higher, it's the smell which gets to me. My recent trip in Beijing I stayed at the worse hanting all seasons. It was a basement room with shared bathroom and ultra thin walls. But I woke up coughing, gagging, and panicking thinking there has to be some small fire.

Nope AQI just hit 330 :smith: Chengdu during winter was pretty bad, props to Argle teaching me how to put on a n95

It

I'm pretty sure that horrible gagging coal soot smell isn't the PM 2.5 but yeah it gets pretty bad. I'm glad I got air filters for my office and apartment. I'm ordering a new box of 50 n95 masks today in fact. :smith:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

caberham posted:

It

I'm pretty sure that horrible gagging coal soot smell isn't the PM 2.5 but yeah it gets pretty bad. I haven't smelt that smell for a long time in Chengdu; I used to smell it all the time in Jinan. I'm glad I got air filters for my office and apartment. I'm ordering a new box of 50 n95 masks today in fact. :smith:

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 25, 2014

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Magna Kaser posted:

i'd hope it is lower way out in boonieville where gf lives :ohdear:

It does tend to be a bit cleaner out here, that is one of the very few good things about the horrible lovely suburbs. But I was out in Chengdu all day (since it took four loving hours to get home).

That German place had good sausage, I want to try the schnitzel at the other one next time. Also how are there like three German restaurants within a block of each other?

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 25, 2014

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Post maps and addresses.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Also how are there like three German restaurants within a block of each other?

Kein Lebensraum! :godwinning:

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
The Pirate Bay is promoting the launch of the free VPN start-up FrootVPN. TF has an article on it here. I signed up just to dink around with it and take it for a test drive. It's pretty fast, stable and there isn't any DNS hijacking going on yet, but I still don't trust it enough to actually log into any accounts while connected to it. But it will make a good backup option for when HostVPN craps out on me (which is at least thrice a day). Just thought I'd mention it.

edit: Maybe sign up to get in on the ground floor but don't actually use the service until it's been vetted?

Woodsy Owl fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 25, 2014

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

caberham posted:

:peanut:

Peanut is crazy. Peanut lives deep in the mountains and the ramshackle hut of peanut hangs a tattered American flag

Lol it's true

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
So I'm in HK from Thursday night and will be there all the following week.

Probably gonna be bored during the weekdays so if anyone is free I'll buy a round of beers or whatever.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Grand Fromage posted:

I used to do 200 and up because I couldn't wear a mask for 250 days out of the year.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Omg Spring Airlines started a Takamatsu-Shanghai-Shenzhen route!
Now if only Shenzhen airport offered free transit visas :(

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

peanut posted:

Omg Spring Airlines started a Takamatsu-Shanghai-Shenzhen route!
Now if only Shenzhen airport offered free transit visas :(

Aren't there multiple-entry year-long tourist visas? I've never had a tourist visa but the Manchurian-American (he insisted on that, hated being called Chinese, lolz) guy we knew who traveled to the mainland all the time for business told us once that's what he always went with.

edit: I mean obviously nothing beats the free transit visa but that would still be pretty good for hopping around from ~~~WAPAN~~~

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

Woodsy Owl posted:

The Pirate Bay is promoting the launch of the free VPN start-up FrootVPN. TF has an article on it here. I signed up just to dink around with it and take it for a test drive. It's pretty fast, stable and there isn't any DNS hijacking going on yet, but I still don't trust it enough to actually log into any accounts while connected to it. But it will make a good backup option for when HostVPN craps out on me (which is at least thrice a day). Just thought I'd mention it.

edit: Maybe sign up to get in on the ground floor but don't actually use the service until it's been vetted?

I ditched Host VPN, it seemed like it was an abandoned project. At work I use ExpressVPN and I was trying out VyprVPN for personal use. So far, expressVPN has been much better.

Grand Fromage posted:

China has hosed up my sinuses. I try and wear a mask anytime it's above 200 which seems like more often than not these days. It's going to be a bad winter.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Atopian: Are you in HK yet, and where are you staying?

mrgoodtrips
Jun 15, 2013
Has anyone used SmartAir filters? I need something in my apartment other than houseplants to clean the air. Kind of working on a tight budget, too. But I'll cough up the extra money if I have to.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Ceciltron posted:

Here's what I found out when I was there:

Unless you have IRON-CLAD evidence that your boss is doing something MONDO ILLEGAL, I mean like, selling drugs to kids and stealing from the government, don't even try. They are teflon. They have better guanxi. They will always have better guanxi.

But let's say for humour's sake, you've got something reasonable, like an illegal contract and employer-forged documents.

You'll both get dinged. You see, it's your fault for signing an illegal contract, and, because you'll be illegal, you'll retroactively probably owe quite a bit of money for illegally working and residing in the country, not to mention being a party to fraud. That's the worst case. Best case scenario you are unceremoniously ejected from the country and made to pay some kind of penalty to the government.

You can't win. Even if you get a lawyer, the likelihood is that you'll have to go through arbitration, through the labour or foreign expert bureau or whatever (my lawyer said, in perfect english "the first step to litigation is arbitration", which can take weeks, months, years, if at all. By that time you'll have certainly gone over your stay and won't even be able to effectively represent yourself or work elsewhere (your boss owns the permit for your labour, remember? They literally own your right to work in China.).

If you want to get back at them, you will never be satisfied. The best you can do is badmouth them online if they treat you poorly, and spread negative word of mouth among expats. This may or may not be effective, depends on how popular you are.

You can't beat China. I learned this, and I tried. I got my work visa switched to an exit visa and haven't looked back. Working in China means taking certain risks, it means not being certain about your situation, your employment, your legality, your welcome. It's an experience I enjoyed, but couldn't handle the existential horror of.

I'm coming back to visit though. There's much less existential horror as a simple visitor.

And the release letter? They're not legally obliged to do poo poo. Most of the time they'll demand money for it, and that's not even a guarantee they'll be releasing you with whatever document they give you, since you can't (I'm assuming) read Chinese or navigate legalese.

It's almost as if everything I have told you guys about China for the last two years (pirates vs. missionaries, you have no legal recourse, employers can arbitrarily gently caress you so be nice, don't quibble over your contract it is meaningless) were true.

The flip side of that is that if you work for people you trust, and who trust you, there's flexibility on both sides. You bend for them, they bend for you, sometimes you get lightly hosed but that's just China.

In any case, I am looking for an English teacher or two. It needs to be someone smart, who knows a bit about world culture and international relations. Diploma and 1 year Chinese work experience required (I don't want newbs; nobody is going to drive you to the grocery store or help you buy train tickets, gotta do that yourself) but no Chinese language is ok. Job is in Luoyang, Henan - which is the good Henan (the bad one would be Zhengzhou, or YiMa, depending) a city of 2-4 million people. You would be teaching an international middle school class (grades 7-9) ostensibly English but also geography, model United Nations, cultural literacy, and preparing (at least some of) them to go to high school in the USA.

In general it is a relaxed self-driven environment. Technically you are a consultant, not a teacher, and the company is paid in billable hours, so you'll need to be responsible for your classes, which cannot be canceled. You would be part of a team of three, so provided you are friendly and drama-free others will be able to cover for you in case of illness or temporary absence. Salary starts at 9-10k, normal amenities provided, residence permit, etc.

It's a super chill job but nobody is going to babysit you. Luoyang is blowing up as a town - we have an awesome nightlife. It's Real China, too.

I will likely reverse-discriminate and favor nonwhite candidates, as they don't get a fair shake in China and I think getting to know a person of color would contribute to the student experience. You must be an American, though, as it's billed as an American program.

Also the school (not my program) is starting a Canadian high school class and is hiring real teachers who are actually qualified to teach real subjects like science or American history. These positions would pay more than 10k and people will actually babysit you, as there are designated laowai handlers in that program. I'm pretty sure teachers of any nationality can apply for this but a teaching diploma and/or graduate degree of some kind is required.

PM me or email insuffleupagus (((((((at)))))))) gmail (((dot))) com

bad day fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 27, 2014

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

What are hrs/week on that, both teaching and (unpaid, I know) expected prep/marking hours?

I can't apply as I am not American, but I am interested in keeping an eye on the rest of the industry.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Hello, everyone.

I'm the guy who asked about studying abroad in Hong Kong a few months back. All my paperwork's finally been submitted, so with any luck, I should be arriving around January 5th.

I remember being advised to join the WeChat group, before I left. Unfortunately, it seems that the QR code in the OP no longer works. Any way I can get in on that group?

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
It comes out to ~20 hours a week. There are no unpaid hours, really. Every now and then people at the school talk about making us do office hours but we just don't and then people stop talking about it? The priorities of the company are to collect money and the school to have competent teachers who don't cause problems or complain. I find that so long as those two get done, everything else is so much meh.

Which is one of the things I just love about China. I'm gonna have a hard time fitting into the work environment back home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
On a side note, I'm finishing my MBA program this spring and seriously considering hanging around China another year just to aggressively make as much money as possible. It seems there's just a lot more opportunity here than back in the USA.