Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

its got electrolytes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

put yourself in the shoes of a prosecutor trying to build a case against you. what evidence could they pin on you? there is nothing on your laptop for them to use, if you obscure your bitcoins propperly, there is no way for them to trace them back to me.

z0rlandi viSSer posted:

its got electrolytes

Hello from Seattle

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
why is sending a smile grayed out? :(

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

show us a screenshot of the ancient version of word you've got running

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

minivanmegafun posted:

show us a screenshot of the ancient version of word you've got running

i paid $200 for office 97 and god dammit im gonna get my moneys worth

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

Phoenixan posted:

why is sending a smile grayed out? :(

deprecation justified by telemetrics

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
Hello from Seattle was their embarrassing answer to designed by Apple in California in the zune days. Wel com eto the soc ial

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

mishaq posted:

i paid $200 for office 97 and god dammit im gonna get my moneys worth
hey $200 17 years ago was worth a lot more than $200 now

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Phoenixan posted:

hey $200 17 years ago was worth a lot more than $200 now

just about $100 more lol http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=%24200+1997+in+2014

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

thanks for citing your source wikipedia brown

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

mod sassinator posted:

nobody ever got fired for going microsoft, but some of them are not with the living anymore if you catch my drift

stay safe linuxgirl87

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Millstone posted:

Wel com eto the soc ial

you did it wrong :(

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

put yourself in the shoes of a prosecutor trying to build a case against you. what evidence could they pin on you? there is nothing on your laptop for them to use, if you obscure your bitcoins propperly, there is no way for them to trace them back to me.

Millstone posted:

Hello from Seattle was their embarrassing answer to designed by Apple in California in the zune days. Wel com eto the soc ial

that's worse than i expected, i thought it was just another engineer being cute with the windows 8.2 preview

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Remicks posted:

that's worse than i expected, i thought it was just another engineer being cute with the windows 8.2 preview

no its also on every physical ms product and has been since the zune days

then again windows 10 has defender "for great justice" so

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
at work i use a surface pro 2 to replace the moleskin i used to keep for note taking

it was sitting unused in a drawer so i adopted it

some cool Facts

- its heavy

- it has a fan inside of it that will kick on when i wake it from sleep

- i never use the detachable keyboard because its bad to type on and useless in one note anyway

- the pen is mediocre to write with and there's a huge gap between the digitizer and the actual screen

- sometimes it just wont wake up from sleep. like i'll press the power button and "SURFACE" will appear and then go away. it can take 4-5 attempts to wake it from sleep successfully

- often i'll go to use it and its in the middle of updating and/or rebooting or turning off for some reason. idk why. i guess windows needs a lot of updates???

- windows 8 and windows 8.1 have a bad user interface with terrible discoverability and you have a bad brain and bad thoughts if you disagree with me on this matter

e: oh and i forgot, because the windows button on the front is capacitive and the tablet itself is long and narrow, while writing in one note if i forget to flip the tablet over i will frequently trigger the windows button which takes me back to the metro desktop that owns and is good and not horrible ape poo poo

Kirk fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 27, 2014

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kirk posted:

at work i use a surface pro 2 to replace the moleskin i used to keep for note taking

it was sitting unused in a drawer so i adopted it

some cool Facts

- i never use the detachable keyboard because its bad to type on and useless in one note anyway

- sometimes it just wont wake up from sleep. like i'll press the power button and "SURFACE" will appear and then go away. it can take 4-5 attempts to wake it from sleep successfully

then after those 4-5 attempts to wake it up you get to the password screen and the keyboard cicks arent being recognized. so u touch the password field to bring up the on-screen keyboard, but it wont pop up because it knows u have a physical keyboard plugged in even tho it wont register key presses. to fix this u put it back to sleep 4-5 more times and detach-reattach the keybaord while u wait.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

then after those 4-5 attempts to wake it up you get to the password screen and the keyboard cicks arent being recognized. so u touch the password field to bring up the on-screen keyboard, but it wont pop up because it knows u have a physical keyboard plugged in even tho it wont register key presses. to fix this u put it back to sleep 4-5 more times and detach-reattach the keybaord while u wait.

typing in my long password multiple times per day on a touch keyboard owns. i guess i could set up a pin but i thought microsoft made it easier to do work????

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
but does it say Hello From Seattle this is important

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

no you see you're wrong because the spec sheet clearly indicates that the surface is competitive with, if not superior to, all modern laptops, and furthermore

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
its better than a macbook air and an ipad because it can run photoshop and clearly there is no photoshop on mac os x

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
seriously what was the loving point of those ads

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Beeftweeter posted:

but does it say Hello From Seattle this is important

nope.

buncha cert symbols, serial number, product name, and warranty conveniently laser etched into the back chassis under the kick stand, but no "Hello from Seattle"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kirk posted:

it was sitting unused in a drawer
much like your dignity

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
i lol whenever i see ppl in tech comments defending the pro or pro 2 as a "work device" and talking it up as something that changed their workflow

for real if you had any sense whatsoever you'd realize from 5 mins of using the surface that a) it was never going to compete in the tablet space and b) it was never going to compete in the ultrabook space

it is literally a solution no one needed for a problem no one has. dont tell me its good at note taking cause its loving not. its basically a physically well constructed sheet of glass and plastic that isn't competitive with similar products half its price

Signed, Mad About Computers Online

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
also if i hear "but legacy apps" one more time i'm going to turn into a crow and fly away

if you are using legacy windows apps on a touchscreen device you are a fool child who doesn't know how to do their job in a non-retard manner

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kirk posted:

i lol whenever i see ppl in tech comments defending the pro or pro 2 as a "work device" and talking it up as something that changed their workflow

for real if you had any sense whatsoever you'd realize from 5 mins of using the surface that a) it was never going to compete in the tablet space and b) it was never going to compete in the ultrabook space

it is literally a solution no one needed for a problem no one has. dont tell me its good at note taking cause its loving not. its basically a physically well constructed sheet of glass and plastic that isn't competitive with similar products half its price

Signed, Mad About Computers Online

i cant believe anybody would use one for taking notes. seems like it'd be terrible for that since its so heavy. If you arent using it for art there is zero point to owning one over the competition, and even the art capabilities are mirrored on lenovo yogas and that wacom companion thing

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
do you know what is great a note taking? a notepad and pen

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i think the surface is actually worse as a tablet than it is as a laptop.

entirely because windows 8 (in any form) is not a tablet os. it's a desktop os, that does desktop os things (like run internal maintenance tasks) that completely gently caress up its operation as a tablet, interrupt whatever tasks you were doing and randomly drain the battery in the background. also it runs a loving anti-virus

as a laptop it's just awkward but functional, basically a thinner lighter netbook with slightly better than average build quality at four times the price

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Metrication posted:

do you know what is great a note taking? a notepad and pen
they show that in one of the ads to make the macbook air guy look like an idiot

"look at this guy with his old school notepad and pen!! what a LOSER"

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
you see if you bought a surface pro you could circle things

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

please, mac users have moleskine x adobe creative cloud and a fountain pen

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

infernal machines posted:

nope.

buncha cert symbols, serial number, product name, and warranty conveniently laser etched into the back chassis under the kick stand, but no "Hello from Seattle"

Hell o fram Shenzhen

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
it is the literal truth that a windows rt tablet would do a better job than the pro 2 because it would be lighter and have a less terrible battery life

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

we had the macy's parade on the television today, and there was an ad for the suface 3 where they compared it to a macbook pro?????? wtf i thought the surface was a tablet but now they say its a full blown laptop?? hosed up.

also a uh promo or whatever came on for the sportsball and they surfaces were all propped up on stands that said MICROSOFT SURFACE on them. lol.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Elder Postsman posted:

we had the macy's parade on the television today, and there was an ad for the suface 3 where they compared it to a macbook pro?????? wtf i thought the surface was a tablet but now they say its a full blown laptop?? hosed up.

also a uh promo or whatever came on for the sportsball and they surfaces were all propped up on stands that said MICROSOFT SURFACE on them. lol.

so think about this

all the creatures that live in the warrens of microsofts marketing department agreed that they would be able to convince people to do a direct comparison of a tablet versus a laptop computer and that this was a Good Idea

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
those people make so much more money than you lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Elder Postsman posted:

they have been comparing it to the macbook air (and sometimes mba + ipad) for a few months already but comparing it to a macbook pro is a new one i think

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
a macbook pro (even a macbook air with 12+ hours of battery) still beats the poo poo out of everything the surface does including "running windows 8"

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

maybe it was a MacBook Air. idk. I wasn't paying very close attention. the two (air and pro I mean ) are v similar though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jP4O7rEHQ8

• Locked thread