Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I get the same one all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strong bird
May 12, 2009

It picks from a random list but you're assigned one of the quotes so you'll always get it. This ensures each player has a unique experience.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

strong bird posted:

It picks from a random list but you're assigned one of the quotes so you'll always get it. This ensures each player has a unique experience.

Are you serious lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I've gotten different ones.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

Are you serious lol

No

strong bird
May 12, 2009

But that sounds like the kind of bull rear end a developer would pitch to uproarious applause in the candy room

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/481145984307227449/9E1E3F09D32053A0822E63B8BF3757C5D0CB52F8/

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lol. I should get into HOI4 one of these days.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

This modern hoi4 mod is insane. They only have unique focus for China, US and Russia but they are enormous and there is a lot of events.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

This modern hoi4 mod is insane. They only have unique focus for China, US and Russia but they are enormous and there is a lot of events.

I prefer the modern Vicky 2 mod. Hoi4's tree model works best in short periods where you can reasonably know what the various possible decisions were

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

corn in the bible posted:

I prefer the modern Vicky 2 mod. Hoi4's tree model works best in short periods where you can reasonably know what the various possible decisions were

Considering the US can get Kanye West as a ruler, I don't think realism is the purpose

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

Considering the US can get Kanye West as a ruler, I don't think realism is the purpose

Not... realism...?

?????

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

and yet the mod maker ignored my suggestion to just make it a technothriller instead of trying to cover 16 years of peace.

In Training posted:

lol. I should get into HOI4 one of these days.

maybe, maybe not. naval combat and air suck and thats like the best part of wwii.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It's probs he best Paradox vanilla release although if you want to play a country that ain't the Big 8 you are better off with mods.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i liked eu4 at release more but that game is more my speed and im likely not remembering it as well as i think i am

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

I think I've soured on stellaris, combat is really not good, and like at a fundamental level, I don't know how to fix it. It's also the thing I do the most after the first ~50 years

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Jackie D posted:

I think I've soured on stellaris, combat is really not good, and like at a fundamental level, I don't know how to fix it. It's also the thing I do the most after the first ~50 years

Yeah, and designing your ships all the time is tedious makework since you can't really do anything silly with it

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

They tried to balance ship combat between grognard detail and just an overview, but wound up in a middle which has the flaws of both. The main problem is tying ship behaviors to the components and not just letting you set a behavior for each ship design like in Star Ruler 2. Seriously why do both of the ship classes that can use torpedoes HAVE to charge the battleline?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Leonard Nimoy: "You have discovered AIDS".

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I'm very proud of winning as Republican Spain in HoI4, and making Francisco Franco murder 50 million of his falange tards on the border of Madrid.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Falangist Irkutsk

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh

Madre de dios... My wallet...

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Yeah, and designing your ships all the time is tedious makework since you can't really do anything silly with it

has there ever been any 4x that had interesting ship/unit design?

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Is Wargame considered map gaming? Im going to reinstall and play it to get hyped for new NATO/Russia conflicts

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

seeing footage and coverage of Civ vi is making me want to find my Civ IV discs.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also I formed Russia today. Very lovely shade of green although now that I did that I kinda wanna just try a different start instead of spinning my bloated wheels

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In HOI4, I created the Arab Empire that was pretty much 1:1 the layout of the Abbasid Caliphate.

I think I'm going to play a Communist game next since playing Fascist nations is getting a bit old.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ryazan or (comedy option) Qazim are fun to form Russia as.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

PleasingFungus posted:

has there ever been any 4x that had interesting ship/unit design?

Star ruler's ship designer was kind of fun to play with at least

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

yeah the post apocalyptic america mod pretty much owns.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Both EU4 and CK2 are on sale this weekend. If I've never played a map game before, which would be a better starting place?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Spoderman posted:

Both EU4 and CK2 are on sale this weekend. If I've never played a map game before, which would be a better starting place?

do you like medieval kings and knights or not, because if not then you should play eu4 but if so then you should play ck2. eu4's setting almost doesn't matter so it's fine

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
EU4 could be a space colonization game and the mechanics would make almost as much sense. That just means its a good game though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CKII is good now so honestly pick whatever historical period interests you more. They're both good entries into the genre

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

You could also play Vicky 2 or HOI4 if you really like those settings but they are not good for newbies

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

You could also play Vicky 2 or HOI4 if you really like those settings but they are not good for newbies

HoI4 has a pretty good tutorial I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Also I've been playing the goon-made Aprés Moi Le Deluge mod. Started as Austrian Empire, joined Poland's nazi faction, conquered all the three german civil war factions for reverse Anschluss and now am going to take rightful Elsass-Lothringen from the frenchies.