Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Mate if you're calling a combobreaker a burst I don't know what to tell you.

Oh that's it. Play some Killer Instinct.

Why this thread is trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Supers should just be the motion and two punches or kicks

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Golem II posted:

Why this thread is trash

:colbert:

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip

Golem II posted:

Supers should just be the motion and two punches or kicks
get better at fighting games

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
MikeZ agrees with the man

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
MikeZ is a font of knowledge on many subjects regarding [fighting] game design and his opinions should be respected and listened to because he has been vindicated several times on several key issues, and has contributed a great deal to the broader community

But please also understand that if you give him carte blanche to Actually Make A Game, Skullgirls happens

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Goodpart posted:

MikeZ is a font of knowledge on many subjects regarding [fighting] game design and his opinions should be respected and listened to because he has been vindicated several times on several key issues, and has contributed a great deal to the broader community

But please also understand that if you give him carte blanche to Actually Make A Game, Skullgirls happens

Skullgirls gets more things right than wrong.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
But the few things Skullgirls gets wrong are so central to what the game is that it renders the good stuff pretty much irrelevant

Anyway, not a Skullgirls thread, SF5 is still booty, haven't touched it in days, look forward to streaming biweekly tournaments so I only have to talk about it instead of actually play it! Play KI: it's fun!

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Killer Instinct has the Arbiter from Halo which is cool.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Golem II posted:

Why this thread is trash

Because it has a nerd in it who thinks combobreakers are called bursts and didn't play KI in 1994.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Bursts and combobreakers are different anyway, you can't make a combobreaker whiff or use it offensively.

There you go, I solved your petty argument. Also don't play KI (or play it, it's free, who cares).

Also there's gonna be a Regional Qualifier in Brazil this weekend, K-Brad and JWong are coming to try and steal some points. Also Kayane. Decent opportunity to check out some unknown names, if the fact that it's being held during an anime event doesn't make all the stream stations melt.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Because it has a nerd in it who thinks combobreakers are called bursts and didn't play KI in 1994.

Nobody said this.

I prefer to call combo breakers "bad".

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Dias posted:

Bursts and combobreakers are different anyway, you can't make a combobreaker whiff or use it offensively.

Bursts and combobreakers are different because one is a lame anime thing and the other yells C-c-c-c-ombobreaker when you use it.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
It's odd. Have we ever seen KI1's 'use the mechanic, get enhanced moves' it did with combo breakers to reward you for getting it right?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Dias posted:

You can't make it whiff, but you can bait out combo breakers with...I think they're called counter breakers? I also thought I saw some reset setups that involved baiting out buttons for combo breakers but it's been a while.

And I don't think bursts being used offensively is a big enough difference that differentiates them, at least in my eyes. More so, the fact that bursts are usually super limited is more of what makes them feel very different.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Ventana posted:

You can't make it whiff, but you can bait out combo breakers with...I think they're called counter breakers? I also thought I saw some reset setups that involved baiting out buttons for combo breakers but it's been a while.

And I don't think bursts being used offensively is a big enough difference that differentiates them, at least in my eyes. More so, the fact that bursts are usually super limited is more of what makes them feel very different.

Counter breakers are a big deal. They're always a hard read when you're doing a combo. If you get it wrong the combo ends and the guy you were beating up on gets to strt hitting you for free. If you get it right and the other guy tried to break, he gets locked out and your combo blowout meter resets. If you get a counter breaker, you should always do between 60-95% damage depending on the resources spent and character you're playing as.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Bursts in Guilty Gear are way more fun and interesting than combo breakers in KI because they are not cookie cutter single-purpose things that you use in exactly one way that has a cookie cutter single-purpose counter designed for it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
You're right, but you're also amazingly wrong.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Combos are kind of bullshit in some specific games especially so, it's nice of KI/GG attempt to address the issue in their own ways. Meanwhile SF managed to only devolve in it's mechanics over time, planting it's head deeper up it's own rear end. These companies are at least trying to do something more for the genre and push it forward, while Capcom just coasts.

Dr. Video Games 0112 fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 8, 2016

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Of all the problems with SFV, I don't really feel like their combo system is one of them, personally.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Didn't people say you need to reach level 50 with a character to unlock colour 15? I was looking at the rankings and Daigo's Ryu is level 45/arturo's Dhalsim is 42

wtf

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Kaceytron isn't a normal titty streamer because she is hilarious and a genius at acting stupid as someone said

You may not like her gimmick but she's extremely good at it and drops some pretty good lines, she is the perfect mix of trolling and cleverness imo

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Help Im Alive posted:

Didn't people say you need to reach level 50 with a character to unlock colour 15? I was looking at the rankings and Daigo's Ryu is level 45/arturo's Dhalsim is 42

wtf

Pay for your colors pleb

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Stefan Prodan posted:

Kaceytron isn't a normal titty streamer because she is hilarious and a genius at acting stupid as someone said

You may not like her gimmick but she's extremely good at it and drops some pretty good lines, she is the perfect mix of trolling and cleverness imo

Agreed she owns.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Stefan Prodan posted:

Being really good at ironic shitposting should grant you an automatic :10bux: account in these forums

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

ZenVulgarity posted:

Pay for your colors pleb

You can't pay for color 15 until you unlock it!!!

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

There are things such as this:

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/feb/17/street-fighter-5-challenges-discovered-and-it-looks-there-are-nearly-7000/
(link detailing data about daily character challenges)

which indicate that Capcom will be adding in ways to grant character xp so I doubt it will be as difficult to hit level 50 in the future as it is now. I'd rather pay zenny for a color pack and be done with it honestly, but there's that at least.

Also, I played my first decent Zangief with my Laura last night and got absolutely demolished. Any tips for that matchup? The round started out fantastically with my roundhouse immediately getting SPD'd out of startup and it was all downhill from there. I wasn't sure what my spacing should be, but I'm sure my lack of confidence was sensed and gief really capitalized on that.

Normally I lame gief out with roundhouse, s.mk and fireballs but he just was not having it. I think my approach is bad, its a bad approach. Also I guessed wrong at every step of the way (blocking when I shouldn't, holding up when I shouldn't) so knowing what to look for, and knowing the gaps in giefs offense might help. I wish I played against more giefs like that.

Colorspray fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 8, 2016

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
honestly the best feeling in this game is beating people with alt colors because they wasted all their loving time playing survival like idiots and now you lost

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

dangerdoom volvo posted:

honestly the best feeling in this game is beating people with alt colors because they wasted all their loving time playing survival like idiots and now you lost

The joke is that you're playing a game you hate. :twisted:

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I call combo breakers C-c-c-c-COMBOBREAKERS at the top of my lungs and still have a black KI and a gold Ki Gold cart laying around here somewhere where the gently caress are they oh right my n64 and snes stopped working.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

does the new KI still uses those obnoxious downback - down - downforward special move inputs that were such drat murder to do on a dpad?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

NecroMonster posted:

does the new KI still uses those obnoxious downback - down - downforward special move inputs that were such drat murder to do on a dpad?

Nah, it's mostly QCFs/Bs and DP motions.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Stefan Prodan posted:

Anyone who actually thinks she's stupid is a jabroni mark

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

I mean I think the real problem here is she jacked my loving combos that I've been working on since grade school.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Stefan Prodan posted:

If I had tits that would attract nerds I would be doing what she is doing.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Goodpart posted:

But the few things Skullgirls gets wrong are so central to what the game is that it renders the good stuff pretty much irrelevant

Anyway, not a Skullgirls thread, SF5 is still booty, haven't touched it in days, look forward to streaming biweekly tournaments so I only have to talk about it instead of actually play it! Play KI: it's fun!

What does it get wrong? I'm just curious since this stuff is fun. I know the obvious one is ease up on the pedo-cheesecake character designs. What are other ones?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

ZenVulgarity posted:

Anyone who actually thinks she's stupid is a jabroni mark

I mean I've seen people in arcades use her same strategy for real.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Buckwheat Sings posted:

What does it get wrong? I'm just curious since this stuff is fun. I know the obvious one is ease up on the pedo-cheesecake character designs. What are other ones?

The central design hypothesis for the whole game is "Relentlessly comboing and resetting your opponent is the most fun way to win in a fighting game, so characters should be able to constantly put opponents in a state of mixup pressure even if they're already being comboed."

A small number of people agree with this hypothesis and find the game fun; a lot of other people feel that pacing is part of any good game design, including fighting games, and that the way Skullgirls forces you to be vigilant 100% of the time, even when you're already being punished for getting hit, is exhausting and not fun.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Brosnan posted:

The central design hypothesis for the whole game is "Relentlessly comboing and resetting your opponent is the most fun way to win in a fighting game, so characters should be able to constantly put opponents in a state of mixup pressure even if they're already being comboed."

A small number of people agree with this hypothesis and find the game fun; a lot of other people feel that pacing is part of any good game design, including fighting games, and that the way Skullgirls forces you to be vigilant 100% of the time, even when you're already being punished for getting hit, is exhausting and not fun.

I don't care for that style of play, either, but I don't see it as wrong. Some people love that poo poo, it's just not for me, but that's okay, it doesn't have to be for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I completely missed Marvel 2's heyday, but isn't "relentless pressure even when comboed" something that's applicable to that game also? Although I suppose even my superficial understanding of both games makes it apparent that usually you finish your combos in MvC2.

Let's be honest though, there's two main issues with SG that made it unpopular: it's not Capcom and it has a cartoony look with a LOT of fanservice.