Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

woke wedding drone posted:

But doggie fresh, liberals :smugdog:

If Republicans monitored guns as closely as they watched Bill's penis, there would be zero gun crime in America

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

GalacticAcid posted:

As time goes by the Carter presidency becomes more and more grotesque and pathetic to me. He was a yokel lightweight and let Brzezinski push him around and primed us for the Reagan Revolution through his own ineptitude.

gently caress President Carter. He's been a good post-president though.

He's a great person, but he was in over his head.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

WeAreTheRomans posted:

If Republicans monitored guns as closely as they watched Bill's penis, there would be zero gun crime in America

Does that make LBJ's penis nuclear weapons policy in this analogy?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

woke wedding drone posted:

But doggie fresh, liberals :smugdog:

And gun owners say guns aren't Freudian phallic objects. :allears:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean, pardoning 'nam draft dodgers was cool

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Pick posted:

On the other hand, the most enthusiastic Hillary supporters I've met are old women. Like you take this lovely old lady who enjoys gardening and embroidery and you mention Hillary Clinton and suddenly it's all :getin:

Probably because there's like three generations' worth of pent-up feminism going on there. You don't have to be a radical to be fired up, and the older folks are the more bullshit they've had to deal with if they're not straight white christian males. Imagine being someone who got an engineering degree but spent 15-20 years as a secretary at an engineering firm before people figured out that women aren't servile idiots meant primarily as scenery. You'd be fired the hell up to vote for the H-bomb too.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Knight posted:

Does that make LBJ's penis nuclear weapons policy in this analogy?

Weapon of rear end destruction

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Pakled posted:

Carter had issues working with Congress, but what really sunk him was telling Americans that their lifestyle was unsustainable and they had to make sacrifices. Americans don't like hearing that.

The Malaise Speech went over pretty well at the time and the polls reflected it. What didn't go over so well was firing his cabinet shortly thereafter.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Pick posted:

A lot of younger women have sort of been convinced sexism is over, or they don't quite realize how serious/pervasive it is yet. I think part of it is that a lot of young people are still working lovely, minimum-wage jobs and they don't feel it's much different between the men and women there. Ten years down the line, when their male coworkers are managers and they're still manning the tills despite being more responsible and capable, they start to see a pattern. That's not a dimension that the cool, hip feminist discourse is focused on right now, but it's the sexism that grates on Democratic and Republican women alike, essentially as an axis independent of other political opinions.

yeah i think that younger women are definitely more aware of sexism, even if they're not joining 2nd wave groups like NOW (which definitely skews older from the meetings i've been to)

but i think that with people spending more time online and seeing how lovely people are to women on the internet, especially after things like gamergate, but also everyday double standards like "a boy in your class saw your bra strap and now he's going to get a boner and die" are definitely gaining more awareness.

there's definitely a wall for young women about calling yourself a feminist, but even that i think is crumbling.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Weapon of rear end destruction

:vince:

FAUXTON posted:

Probably because there's like three generations' worth of pent-up feminism going on there. You don't have to be a radical to be fired up, and the older folks are the more bullshit they've had to deal with if they're not straight white christian males. Imagine being someone who got an engineering degree but spent 15-20 years as a secretary at an engineering firm before people figured out that women aren't servile idiots meant primarily as scenery. You'd be fired the hell up to vote for the H-bomb too.

I'm really curious, if Hillary does ok as President, if all the nice old ladies will still be back for round two or if this is a one time "historic" deal.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

He's a great person, but he was in over his head.

What was he specifically terrible on? As someone who wasn't alive for his presidency and the fact that he's been the focus of such an extended smear campaign makes it hard to tell what he actually hosed up on and what is just lingering nonsense.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/evan_mcmullin/status/784042998845755393

McMullin is a presidential candidate in the same way a group of six-year-olds playing plastic toy instruments in their friends' backyards is a touring rock band.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rhesus Pieces posted:

McMullin is a presidential candidate in the same way a group of six-year-olds playing plastic toy instruments in their friends' backyards is a touring rock band.

is it sarah palin

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Still polling better than Stein.

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I want his pick to be Carly Fiorina so badly.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm really curious, if Hillary does ok as President, if all the nice old ladies will still be back for round two or if this is a one time "historic" deal.

They'll be back.

Presidents that only serve one term are thought of as failures and the first female president being considered a failure would be pretty damming for feminism IMO.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

A Winner is Jew posted:

They'll be back.

Presidents that only serve one term are thought of as failures and the first female president being considered a failure would be pretty damming for feminism IMO.

I hope so. I'm only curious because the political identity of "I am a woman" seems less strong or widespread as "I am a black person" was for Obama.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

inkblot posted:

What was he specifically terrible on? As someone who wasn't alive for his presidency and the fact that he's been the focus of such an extended smear campaign makes it hard to tell what he actually hosed up on and what is just lingering nonsense.

He was just really ineffectual. I wouldn't say he was "terrible," but he wasn't very good. His economic policies were um, not good. (zero-based budgeting); he didn't work with party leaders on things (for example, not working with Ted Kennedy on national healthcare) and then he more or less muffed the Iran Hostage Crisis. Operation Eagle Claw was an unmitigated disaster.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot
Carter was a bad President who came up against terrible circumstances so now everybody thinks he was The Worst.

In actuality Ronald Reagan was worse in every way.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

They'll be back.

i know the nice old ladies at my church who protested at the 1968 dnc will be back to vote for hillary in 2020

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Endorph posted:

is it sarah palin

Honestly this was my first guess.

Thankfully she's been mostly absent this political cycle but she's going to go down in history as the anti-intellectual spark that fully engulfed the GOP and eventually led to Trump.

Trilas posted:

I want his pick to be Carly Fiorina so badly.

This was my second guess.

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
Yeah I drive a minivan, big deal, wanna fight about it?
Apologize if this was already posted and I missed it, my work blocks twitter.

In another example of This loving Election, Michael Chertoff, the leader of the Whitewater investigation in the 90's has endorsed Hillary Clinton.
http://www.npr.org/2016/10/06/496749561/once-clintons-prosecutor-during-whitewater-now-a-clinton-supporter

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Lightning Knight posted:

I hope so. I'm only curious because the political identity of "I am a woman" seems less strong or widespread as "I am a black person" was for Obama.

Think for a minute about how horribly racist the GOP has been to Obama over the last 8 years.

Now think about how much more socially acceptable it is to be openly sexist as opposed to being openly racist (gamergate is a prime example here)... then apply that to how the GOP will react to a woman president.

Then multiply that by the woman president in question being Hillary loving Clinton.

Buckle up folks, the next 8 years are going to be loving amazing in how often republicans are going to ramp up the sexism until it finally breaks them.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Sitting presidents have rarely, if ever, faced much opposition from within their own party during re-election (for obvious reasons.) In 1980, Ted Kennedy was the scion of the Kennedy Political Legacy, and a huge figure within the party and congress.

To put in perspective, it would be like if in 2012, seeing a weakness in Obama, Hillary ran against him again. Ted Kennedy challenging Carter was a big deal, and even though the race wasn't incredible close (51-38), it underscored the weakness of Carter going into the general -- and Kennedy's speech at the convention (which you should all watch) was even more damaging to Carter (though the killer for Carter was the failure of Operation Eagle Claw.

That was all setup by a weak economy (not his fault, entirely) and his refusal to work with congressional leaders. Basically they resented Carter as an outsider (he was NOT the party's choice to run in '76) and he more or less kept party leaders out of power. Congress more or less told him to gently caress off, despite it being lead by Democrats and overrode him on vetoes constantly.

This sounds a lot like a man describing an alternate Universe where Sanders becomes president

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

This sounds a lot like a man describing an alternate Universe where Sanders becomes president

The difference would be that I don't think Schumer would cockblock Sanders repeatedly, but uh yeah kind of. Sanders has a way better grasp of how national politics work than Carter ever did.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

inkblot posted:

Carter's career before politics was as a nuclear engineer in the Navy, and it showed style of governance. He'd get super involved into specific policy details, and when the time came to start making deals he would refuse to budge on anything. One of the big things that came up right in the first few months of his Presidency was a big bill for water projects-Carter had campaigned against pork barrel spending, thought it was all a bunch of useless waste, and was completely against it. But it was incredibly popular in the (Democratically controlled) Congress, since it brought a lot of money to a wide range of congressional districts. So of course, Carter vetoed it-and Congress overrode his veto, setting the pace for what would become an incredibly acrimonious relationship between Congress and the Presidency, similar in a few ways to what Obama's faced over the past few years. But while Congressional opposition to Obama has all been political expediency, when it came to Carter it was all almost purely out of spite.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

can someone redo this gif but with tim kaine as the guy in the glasses tia

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

Think for a minute about how horribly racist the GOP has been to Obama over the last 8 years.

Now think about how much more socially acceptable it is to be openly sexist as opposed to being openly racist (gamergate is a prime example here)... then apply that to how the GOP will react to a woman president.

Then multiply that by the woman president in question being Hillary loving Clinton.

Buckle up folks, the next 8 years are going to be loving amazing in how often republicans are going to ramp up the sexism until it finally breaks them.

i hope that means that hillary and the dems will ramp up the pro-women legislation to spite the gop. i know she's already said that she wants to repeal the hyde amendment, but i hope she can take it even further.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

prom candy posted:

Could Bernie get the black turnout that's expected for Hillary though? He certainly couldn't in the primaries.

Bernie doesn't give two shits about minorities; once he realized he couldn't win primaries without the black vote instead of doing real outreach he went and found a rapper that would endorse him.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Carter's career before politics was as a nuclear engineer in the Navy, and it showed style of governance. He'd get super involved into specific policy details, and when the time came to start making deals he would refuse to budge on anything. One of the big things that came up right in the first few months of his Presidency was a big bill for water projects-Carter had campaigned against pork barrel spending, thought it was all a bunch of useless waste, and was completely against it. But it was incredibly popular in the (Democratically controlled) Congress, since it brought a lot of money to a wide range of congressional districts. So of course, Carter vetoed it-and Congress overrode his veto, setting the pace for what would become an incredibly acrimonious relationship between Congress and the Presidency, similar in a few ways to what Obama's faced over the past few years. But while Congressional opposition to Obama has all been political expediency, when it came to Carter it was all almost purely out of spite.

It was also from his own party.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

uninterrupted posted:

Bernie doesn't give two shits about minorities; once he realized he couldn't win primaries without the black vote instead of doing real outreach he went and found a rapper that would endorse him.

Oh that's not fair at all.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

uninterrupted posted:

Keep retarded posts like this to C-Spam.

Also keep retarded Bernie derails to C-Spam.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

uninterrupted posted:

This is very unfair. They hired legit people to do outreach to the black community. She just had a 30 year head start on him.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Instant Sunrise posted:

i hope that means that hillary and the dems will ramp up the pro-women legislation to spite the gop. i know she's already said that she wants to repeal the hyde amendment, but i hope she can take it even further.

Repealing the Hyde amendment, pushing through the ERA, and getting the equal pay law passed (that I'm forgetting the name of).

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It was also from his own party.

Yeah, it's hard to overstate just how badly Carter ruined relationships within his own party. He was personally a good man and worked for a number of great causes, and he wasn't always wrong, but ultimately he was pretty drat bad at the job of being President.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

mcmagic posted:

This is very unfair. They hired legit people to do outreach to the black community. She just had a 30 year head start on him.

Part of it, in fairness, was that his approach to inequality is very old school left and looks at problems of /class/ as being paramount. That's not to say he doesn't see problems of race as unimportant, it's just that his view of how to solve problems starts with solving class problems.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

uninterrupted posted:

P-perhaps you are the racist, you loving idiot. Hmmm because that "some rapper" Killer loving Mike couldn't form his own political opinions. Maybe even write a song about Reagan? :iiam:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Part of it, in fairness, was that his approach to inequality is very old school left and looks at problems of /class/ as being paramount. That's not to say he doesn't see problems of race as unimportant, it's just that his view of how to solve problems starts with solving class problems.

He got much better at talking about race problems later in the campaign but he just didn't have the time.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

mcmagic posted:

He got much better at talking about race problems later in the campaign but he just didn't have the time.

True, but his approach was and is always going to be that sort of old school leftism. It's not a "negative" just kind of a fact. (See, Jeremy Corbyn)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

More to the point he's represented Vermont for decades and that economic divisions in this state don't really have all that race relations stuff tied up in them.

• Locked thread