Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sir Kodiak posted:

What's the rush to get it out right now?

Cash in on the films' popularity before it wanes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sir Kodiak posted:

This is what I'm questioning. Discovery looks awful and the production stories are worse. And this isn't like trying to fit Ant-Man 2 into a five-year plan of 2-3 movies a year, with interwoven sequels and such. Star Trek hasn't been on TV in over a decade. What's the rush to get it out right now?

You basically need to have start dates, because you need to get people hired. You can't say, "Oh, we'll set a production date when we have all the scripts ready," because number one, creative types need deadlines, and number two, you have no idea who's going to be available if you're so fluid. Productions are scheduled so far out in advance for the specific reason of getting the people you want in place and ready to work -- a particular cinematographer, for example. It would be like not hiring people at a hotel until the day of the grand opening and praying you get a great executive chef, front office manager, bell captain, housekeeping team and chief engineer.

The original August date for production was to hit January 2017, because Discovery was intended to be the flagship of CBS' All-Access streaming service. Following the second delay in November (the one which resulted in Fuller getting tossed out the airlock), CBS had to hastily re-arrange things and instead position The Good Fight as the big kickoff show for the service.

Once production started at the end of January, CBS started being more flexible about the launch date (to the point that they added two more episodes to the series order), presumably because there was enough negative press about the show already and it took the production nearly three months to get the pilot episode filmed.

Phylodox posted:

Cash in on the films' popularity before it wanes.

Paramount produces the films under license from CBS; outside of the standard license fee CBS sees nothing from the movies (unless CBS Consumer Products decides to do merchandising).

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Timby posted:

The original August date for production was to hit January 2017, because Discovery was intended to be the flagship of CBS' All-Access streaming service.

This seems like the real reason. Because, otherwise, it's just waiting to hire the executive chef until you at least have blueprints for the drat building.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Timby posted:

Paramount produces the films under license from CBS; outside of the standard license fee CBS sees nothing from the movies (unless CBS Consumer Products decides to do merchandising).

Exactly. All the more reason to get a show they can make bank off of out there before Trek fatigue sets in.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tsunambee is clever at least

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Agree to disagree i suppose

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
BADGERRICANE

SWANSOON

CHEETAVALANCHE

BLIZZARDONKEY

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
FWIW i would totally watch swansoon and cheetavalanche

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

ALFbrot posted:

BADGERRICANE

SWANSOON

CHEETAVALANCHE

BLIZZARDONKEY

And all of them are depicted as tornadoes on the posters.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It would have been even cleverer if they'd put bees on the poster and not hornets :argh:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its not a tsunami and those aren't bees but I'm not one to complain.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Maybe the Tsunambee fights the Hornado

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Timby posted:

I mean, I get that having everything planned out in advance is the platonic ideal or whatever, but almost inevitably you run into one of two things: A producer who's a control freak and can't get things done on time, like Fuller, or a producer who completely burns himself out and basically has a nervous breakdown (J. Michael Straczynski after Babylon 5 ended).

Get you a producer that can do both:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

Get you a producer that can do both:

(i know who it is, but found that search result humorous)

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Fried Watermelon posted:

Maybe the Tsunambee fights the Hornado

'The Hornado' is what my girlfirend calls me, why would I fight tsunambees?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Harambee
He's "shaking up" the kids animated movie market.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's kind of sad because getting caught up in a tsunami and desperately finding some flotation device among the wreckage only to discover that it's a branch with a hive of enraged bees sounds truly horrifying.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFYH0QxSfrI

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So Wonder Woman is actually getting good reviews. Not that I expect DC to turn it all around now.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Casimir Radon posted:

So Wonder Woman is actually getting good reviews. Not that I expect DC to turn it all around now.

It all starts with her.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Guess what Adam Wingard is directing next. Hint: it's a huge movie.

https://twitter.com/AdamWingard/status/869707631740436480

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

The MSJ posted:

Guess what Adam Wingard is directing next. Hint: it's a huge movie.

https://twitter.com/AdamWingard/status/869707631740436480

The director of You're Next and Guest? I'm down.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

He also directed the Blair Witch remake and the crappier parts of VHS and VHS 2 though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Blair Witch remake was great, even if I don't think much of his VHS segments.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

teagone posted:

He also directed the Blair Witch remake and the crappier parts of VHS and VHS 2 though.

The perfect guy to direct a $200 million Memorial Day tentpole blockbuster!

(They haven't announced a production budget yet but King Kong: Skull Island had a $185m price tag and they'll probably crank it up even further for GvKK.)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Not gonna look but this is probably already a movie :v:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Grendels Dad posted:

'The Hornado' is what my girlfirend calls me, why would I fight tsunambees?

Named for your mother I assume.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

teagone posted:

It all starts with her.

I wish someone would take the wrong queue and do a hard R with WW and every other DC property just flaming down spectacularly.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Blair Witch remake was great, even if I don't think much of his VHS segments.

I rewatched the original before seeing the remake, and the original is just miiiiiles better in every way. Even the lack of budget works to its advantage.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Thundercracker posted:

I rewatched the original before seeing the remake, and the original is just miiiiiles better in every way. Even the lack of budget works to its advantage.

I shouldn't have liked watching someone weep snot like that but it just grabbed me by the curlies.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The best Blair Witch movie is still The Burkittsville 7.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

K. Waste posted:

I thought the best Blair Witch movie was 10 Cloverfield Lane.

Serious Answer, even if it's not found footage, the best Blair Witch movie is Race with the Devil.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Best Blair is that Sci-fi Channel pseudomentary Curse of the Blair Witch or whatever, that had 'secret declassified courtroom footage' of Rustin Parr, a bunch of fake historical Burkittsville stuff, and goofy 70s Aquarius Children footage.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

FilthyImp posted:

Best Blair is that Sci-fi Channel pseudomentary Curse of the Blair Witch

K. Waste posted:

Not sure which one of these I agree with more so I'll just quote them both.

I really liked the Blair Witch remake when I saw it (even though I think I posted some negativity about it) but (and this is probably why I posted negativity) you can't really compare the remake to the original; superficial similarities in the text are dwarfed by the differences in not just the subtext but the metatext as well.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Thundercracker posted:

I didn't say the remake was better, mind you. Blair Witch Project (Burkittsville 7 and Curse of the Blair Witch) owns obviously.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I didn't say the remake was better, mind you. Blair Witch Project (Burkittsville 7 and Curse of the Blair Witch) owns obviously.

It's an excellent cinematic universe. #BWPCU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

teagone posted:

so 2/3 of VHS and all of VHS 2?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

FilthyImp posted:

Best Blair is that Sci-fi Channel pseudomentary Curse of the Blair Witch or whatever, that had 'secret declassified courtroom footage' of Rustin Parr, a bunch of fake historical Burkittsville stuff, and goofy 70s Aquarius Children footage.

Touche, but Burkittsville 7 has the film-within-a-film White Enamel, which owns just as much as that other stuff.

Overall, Blair Witch is a consistently above-average franchise, and Wingard's film continued that track record. The cinematography was good, the performances were on point, and the story went in a bizarro direction that I didn't see coming even as it managed to draw upon the cosmetic features of the original film to organize it.

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong, I'm very enthusiastic about Wingard taking the reigns. I get that folks are like, "Ah, but this guy has no experience helming a tentpole blockbuster!" But, ya know, neither did Gareth Edwards or John Vogt-Roberts. Neither has Michael Dougherty, but cats seemed way more enthusiastic about him being in the cockpit for King of the Monsters.

Anyway, I'm still mad that it seems like Tom "not that Tom Green" Green has been pretty much snubbed from directing a movie ever again despite Monsters: Dark Continent being dope as all get out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

so 2/3 of VHS and all of VHS 2?

Are you proud of this terible opinion? WELL?

• Locked thread