Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

thathonkey posted:

are you gonna provide an example or did you mean it like "try CNN :smuggo:"

The White House releases poo poo to the news agencies and then they repeat it verbatim?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Tt5lIogOrg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The press in the USA is a giant loving joke and idk why that's a controversial statement.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

The press in the USA is a giant loving joke and idk why that's a controversial statement.

Thathonkey just pops in to get slapped down by me on a bi weekly basis

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

I think there is a difference between "the 24 hour media news and pundit cycle has a lot of problems" and Spunky's sentiment of "everything I don't like is fake news".

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I think there is a difference between "the 24 hour media news and pundit cycle has a lot of problems" and Spunky's sentiment of "everything I don't like is fake news".

Like I said before, with all these competing news agencies telling different stories someone's gotta be the fake, I'm sorry you blindly trust corporate media even though they've been caught lying innumerable times

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Hey ya'll The Ronald McDonald News Agency is the most Trustworthy News on Earth !

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

lol people itt not knowing the difference between trying to improve relations and a long, slow blow job to a brutal tyrant.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

ditty bout my clitty posted:

It's important to remember that free speech isn't just about getting to say what you want, it's also about being protected from persecution like lawsuits for saying or writing things.Even defamatory things, and even if you have an interest in defaming the object you're writing about.

By this logic the UK should be incredibly low on the list, since it is infamous for how easily you can abuse its defamation laws. Yet it's higher than the US.

So obviously that cannot possibly be a factor.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ditty bout my clitty posted:

This is a german thing and it's them overcompensating for what other people did during WW2.

I understand that, and I'm not even saying it is necessarily bad, I am simply saying that I don't believe Germany is really 5 slots ahead of the US on the "who has freer speech" scale and just measuring "press freedom" isn't revealing the whole picture in terms of that bc that is just one aspect of free speech in general.

Otherwise yeah their press is probably better/freer than ours which is just a corporate suck off most of the time.

Dogfood
Feb 15, 2004

Part of every balanced meal.
Both sides are shoveling poo poo.

Who started it? Who loving cares, Democrats are doing the same loving petulant foot dragging that Republicans did with Obama.

The only thing we can all agree on is we certainly prefer name-calling to problem solving.

I still hate you GBS but that's ok, you can hate me too, it's only fair.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Moridin920 posted:

I understand that, and I'm not even saying it is necessarily bad, I am simply saying that I don't believe Germany is really 5 slots ahead of the US on the "who has freer speech" scale.

Things start making a lot more sense once you realize Everything is Politicized.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dogfood posted:

Both sides are shoveling poo poo.

Who started it? Who loving cares, Democrats are doing the same loving petulant foot dragging that Republicans did with Obama.

The only thing we can all agree on is we certainly prefer name-calling to problem solving.

I still hate you GBS but that's ok, you can hate me too, it's only fair.

Yes the democrats, the minority party in congress, are the ones blocking health care you complete and utter loving dildo.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Dude, the democrats are great people that just want to help you, and the lovely republicans are loving everything up because they're evil

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

and the lovely republicans are loving everything up because they're evil

Well that part is true.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

man I was already all hyped about the russian money laundering ring being run out of trump tower and deutsche bank laundering russian money and poo poo

now the AP is reporting that they have even more proof of manafort being a putin bagman or whatever the hell. even a line in there about manafort scamming a billionaire friend of putin's out of $19 million dollars, then said billionaire dropping the case when trump got nominated. good poo poo

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Dude, the democrats are great people that just want to help you, and the lovely republicans are loving everything up because they're evil

close, the democrats are also evil but willing to throw you scraps to get your vote. refer to the following helpful chart by noted political genius Tim Kreider

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
But Trump supporters really like Russia, Putin and authoritarianism. They won't see any of this as a negative.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

There's a problem there: you can't actually prove Manafort did any of the work, especially considering the article itself points out he scammed the hell out of that billionaire.

I thought scamming Russian billionaires out of their money was good?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Tallgeese posted:

There's a problem there: you can't actually prove Manafort did any of the work, especially considering the article itself points out he scammed the hell out of that billionaire.

I thought scamming Russian billionaires out of their money was good?

given that the article seems pretty confident about the various documents discovered I do not understand how proving such a thing is impossible. I mean it's not proven in a court of law yet but that's what investigations are for. so what's the impossibility? besides FAKE NEWS I guess but you know

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Haha what is this nonsense? Netherlands is 2nd where they have hate speech and you can't talk bad about Islam?

Why are there countries where hate speech is a thing scoring higher than America? This is nonsense.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
The CIA tried to warn us.... Putin is pulling all the strings. The loving Russians run this poo poo

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

make me glad hear you are seeing reason tovarisch

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Thathonkey just pops in to get slapped down by me on a bi weekly basis

lol

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Ildefonso Guajardo Villarreal, Mexico's Economy Minister, addresses the Detroit Economic Club in Detroit, Michigan, U.S., March 3, 2017. REUTERS/Rebecca Cook ByAnthony Esposito | MEXICO CITY

Mexico's government on Tuesday warned Mexican companies that it would not be in their best "interests" to participate in the construction of U.S. President Donald Trump's border wall, though there will be no legal restrictions or sanctions to stop them if they tried.

While some Mexican companies stand to potentially benefit from the controversial infrastructure project, residents south of the border view the wall and Trump's repeated calls to have Mexico pay for it as offensive. That is putting public pressure on firms to abstain from participating.

"We're not going to have laws to restrict (companies), but I believe considering your reputation it would undoubtedly be in your interest to not participate in the construction of the wall," said Mexican Economy Minister Ildefonso Guajardo.

"There won't be a law with sanctions, but Mexicans and Mexican consumers will know how to value those companies that are loyal to our national identity and those that are not," Guajardo added.

Core to Mexico's "national identity" : getting the gently caress out of Mexico by any means possible :laffo:

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
*gets our picture book* nazi =bad . nazi on street corner saying nazi stuff =he could get punch

if government not punch it not violating he rights

If you don't agree well it's not hard to figure out why heh

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
imma go ahead and say that the concept of a picture book recommending violence against people saying stuff is pretty fascist

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

imma go ahead and say that the concept of a picture book recommending violence against people saying stuff is pretty fascist

"Stuff" here ofc meaning "advocating genocide and wiping out the mongrel races" yeah no biggie lol

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
am i supposed to be afraid that people that hear him will be inspired to start building backyard furnaces and inviting all their jewish friends over, like how does this work

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

yes

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Living your life in irrational fear is just part of being an American.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Krustic posted:

Living your life in irrational fear is just part of being an American.

It's what got Trump elected.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Mordor She Wrote posted:

It's what got Trump elected.

Yah my irrational fear of stagnating wages and the loss of the American dream

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
when i was a kid that george carlin "American Dream" bit was like "haha how edgy" but now it's just like an accurate general state of things it's p cool

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Yah my irrational fear of stagnating wages and the loss of the American dream

You're a special case, you voted for the billionaire who doesn't fairly compensate his own employees to look for answer to the stagnating wages and loss of the American dream. So just plain irrational.

Cis Lord
Nov 14, 2016

Piss de Bundy posted:

*bends down, as if im talkig to a 5 year old* hate speech isnt protected speech in many parts of the world, and its bad

you have the right to say whatever you want, but dont be surprised when you get punched for being a nazi

nazis are bad people and they only understand violence

Piss de Bundy posted:

*gets our picture book* nazi =bad . nazi on street corner saying nazi stuff =he could get punch

if government not punch it not violating he rights

If you don't agree well it's not hard to figure out why heh

:lol: This is awesome. Like the guy is deliberately only using kindergarten level logic in his arguments.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Mordor She Wrote posted:

You're a special case, you voted for the billionaire who doesn't fairly compensate his own employees to look for answer to the stagnating wages and loss of the American dream. So just plain irrational.

Either way I was voting for a billionaire

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Cis Lord posted:

:lol: This is awesome. Like the guy is deliberately only using kindergarten level logic in his arguments.

i see you are but a padawan in the sublime d&d art of smug condescension

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Moridin920 posted:

when i was a kid that george carlin "American Dream" bit was like "haha how edgy" but now it's just like an accurate general state of things it's p cool

George Carlin is my all time favorite stand up comedian.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/politico/status/844599902642618372

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Irrational, like 3rd world failed states like Mexico to have it as part of "their national identity" to escape Mexico lol

News here bud it's not our loving problem Mexico sucks a fat one and it's not our job to dictate Mexican policy, just our job to keep illegals the gently caress out of our country and this causes a conniption fit among liberals because laws existing long before trump was president are now enforced and the ultra wealthy may have more problems exploiting a vulnerable underclass but as usual the solution here to liberals is to scream racist at people not lockstep thinking correctly and then as Mordor does, unironically wishing genocide and death upon everyone who didn't vote for Hillary lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

dude nunes himself in that article says it looked like incidental collection in which the trump team communicated with the actual targets of the surveillance. and it turns out the targets of said surveillance were a russian money laundering ring operating out of a trump tower penthouse suite three floors below trump's. so uh

• Locked thread