Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Are corporate discounts only applied to the data in the new share everything plan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I think those are just the radios inside the Gnex acting normally. Lots of people on this forum have commented saying that the radios in the Gnex are kinda garbage when compared to Verizons other 4G phones.

Maybe you're getting it confused with the other radio issue where people were reporting the signal was dropping out all-together? Although I thought that one was (mostly) fixed in the 4.04 update...

They are awful, and you are right. This phone has given me the biggest case of buyer's remorse ever. Between that and the battery life...

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Munkaboo posted:

Are corporate discounts only applied to the data in the new share everything plan?

Yep.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
I have to admit my Galaxy S3 continues to impress me. The screen, audio quality (even if it's not one of the legendary audio chips in the international version), call quality, the music player, Samsung's keyboard (sometimes), handy shortcuts, etc have all been a cut above what I'm used to with an Android. I really wanted to love the Nexus, but all the little issues that cropped up led me to wait to see what the GS3 and Razr HD turned out to be. Obviously one of those is still MIA.

Only problems have been that keyboard sometimes drives me nuts between an overly aggressive autowrong and a twitchy Swype wannabe I accidentally trigger. Oh there was one more thing. Verizon did have to replace my Galaxy once. When I got it, I noticed I could hear a metallic chime or ring when I shook the phone or (forcefully) tap the screen. I compared mine with some of our demo phones and discovered that only mine ran like it. Turned out something was loose behind the volume key. I freaked out though when I noticed how loose and mushy the powerbutton was on mine. I couldn't live with either problem, let alone both. I was still in my 14 day WFG period. Samsung probably had a few final QA wrinkles to iron out building their worldwide smash hit.

Moral of the story: check for loose or noisy buttons as soon as you open the box of your shiny new GS3

Drifter287 posted:

Yeah, the Galaxy Nexus screen is not easily replaceable like the iPhone screen. Samsung will do it but it's something like $160 and takes two weeks, and finding someone to repair it privately will probably cost near $300 from what I've read.

If the crack gets too big to just live with, refurb lotto for $100 is probably your best option. Even if you get a dud, they'll keep overnighting you phones at no charge till you get one that works.

wattershed posted:

It was just the screen...she told me today that it really doesn't bother her all that much, and for $100 to replace it she's okay with living with it for a while until she either forgets it's there or it gets worse. I've managed to stay out of the doghouse on this somehow, which I'd say is a moral victory I can hang my hat on.

I actually bothered to look up the iFixit teardown of the Nexus this time. Drifter's right: that screen will be absurdly expensive to replace on it's own. Looks like the glass, touch display, and the frame are all fused together. At least iFixit says the rest of the phone is relatively easy to repair. http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Samsung-Galaxy-Nexus-Teardown/7182/1

I'm glad your wife seems to be taking things in stride.

LaptopGun fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 9, 2012

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

See, I played with a SGSIII the other day at the store (while I was waiting for my coworker to get his Xoom reactivated) and I wasn't impressed at all.

The phone was jerky, even after a fresh reboot. I hated the physical button for home, it felt so clunky every time I used it. I'm used to being able to just brush my finger on home, having to actually press down was really jarring.

Having back and multitask buttons be hidden unless you touch them just seems like a bad design choice. I mean, I found it really neat how you couldn't see them at all when not lit, but it's really terrible for UI discovery.

As far as feel in the hand, it felt solid enough. But it made my slippery Galaxy Nexus feel like it was covered in grip tape by comparison. I'm just not a fan of the all over gloss finish, it wears poorly and never looks clean.

I did think the cover they had on the display one was neat. It hooked into a new back plate so it was a hinged thing that covered the display. That's pretty much the perfect case for me. However, the implementation of that was poor in that there were no magnets or anything to keep the cover secure against the screen.

Then we get to Touchwiz. Ugh. Just, ugh. It feels so childish. It seemed like I was user Fisher Price's first Android phone. The bubbly icons and bright color scheme just doesn't do it for me. I much prefer the muted darker themes of stock ICS. Of course, someone managed to set one of the phones on display to the wacky Samsung font they insist on putting on every device they make which made it feel even more like some haphazard XDA skin.

It just puzzles me how Samsung managed to grab the #1 spot of smartphone manufacturers.

Speaking of my cowoker's Xoom, he was getting it re-activated because he was going on vacation. He's had data on it before and therefore has a Verizon account (his phone is through AT&T). He just suspended it when he didn't need it. He still had data on it post 4g upgrade, so he wasn't just using it on 3G before.

35 minutes. It took them 35 minutes to reactive the device. We weren't waiting in line either. This is something you SHOULD be able to do with a built in app on the device itself, but instead it took a 35 minute trip to the store to get it up and running again.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 9, 2012

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

bull3964 posted:

See, I played with a SGSIII the other day at the store (while I was waiting for my coworker to get his Xoom reactivated) and I wasn't impressed at all.

The phone was jerky, even after a fresh reboot. I hated the physical button for home, it felt so clunky every time I used it. I'm used to being able to just brush my finger on home, having to actually press down was really jarring.

Having back and multitask buttons be hidden unless you touch them just seems like a bad design choice. I mean, I found it really neat how you couldn't see them at all when not lit, but it's really terrible for UI discovery.

As far as feel in the hand, it felt solid enough. But it made my slippery Galaxy Nexus feel like it was covered in grip tape by comparison. I'm just not a fan of the all over gloss finish, it wears poorly and never looks clean.

I did think the cover they had on the display one was neat. It hooked into a new back plate so it was a hinged thing that covered the display. That's pretty much the perfect case for me. However, the implementation of that was poor in that there were no magnets or anything to keep the cover secure against the screen.

Then we get to Touchwiz. Ugh. Just, ugh. It feels so childish. It seemed like I was user Fischer Price's first Android phone. The bubbly icons and bright color scheme just doesn't do it for me. I much prefer the muted darker themes of stock ICS. Of course, someone managed to set one of the phones on display to the wacky Samsung font they insist on putting on every device they make which made it feel even more like some haphazard XDA skin.

Somebody hosed that display model up. I've seen several S3's out in the wild (someone I work closely with got one recently) and it's always been blazing fast. To the point where I think Android's problems with "jerkyness" have FINALLY been solved by just sheer brute force and power.

I agree with the Touchwiz stuff though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Somebody hosed that display model up.

Both though?

Granted, I've been a bit spoiled by JB on my Nexus 7.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

bull3964 posted:

Both though?

Granted, I've been a bit spoiled by JB on my Nexus 7.

Was it running some sort of demo software? I've seen that gently caress up some otherwise pretty speedy phones at corporate stores before.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Was it running some sort of demo software? I've seen that gently caress up some otherwise pretty speedy phones at corporate stores before.
My friend bought an S3 and I noticed jerkiness on it as well. I didn't like the phone at all and I especially disliked that it's pushing the trend to make screens unwieldy. 4.3" and 720x1280 please.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Not that I could determine.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

My friend bought an S3 and I noticed jerkiness on it as well. I didn't like the phone at all and I especially disliked that it's pushing the trend to make screens unwieldy. 4.3" and 720x1280 please.

Ah, who knows then. Is there a difference between the Verizon and T-Mobile models in terms or processor/ram? The girl at work has a T-Mobile one.

I also agree that its gently caress off huge but....people are buying poo poo tons of them so my opinion doesent matter :smith:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Ah, who knows then. Is there a difference between the Verizon and T-Mobile models in terms or processor/ram? The girl at work has a T-Mobile one.
It was T-Mobile. He had just gotten it that day.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

It was T-Mobile. He had just gotten it that day.

Gotcha :)

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Roundboy posted:

And speaking to the Motorola rumor front in the last two weeks we saw a post from Motorola saying they were ready to start unlocking bootloaders, and most recently someone found a way to replace the kernel on the razr.

Eta for the first is who knows, maybe the second is much sooner.

In typical Moto disappointment fashion, they did come out with a press release for unlockable bootloaders. However, the feature is only going to be available (for now) on the upcoming Sprint Photon Q :downsbravo:

As for KEXEC on Moto's OMAP4430 devices, that's ready to roll out within a couple weeks. They got it working on the Droid 3 first, of all devices. It should theoretically be easy to make sure that D3, D4, Bionic & Razr will be KEXEC-enabled, which means kernel-party for everyone.

ProjektorBoy fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 9, 2012

bub
Apr 9, 2001
ffffffffffff

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I've seen the gs3 get pretty slow if the power saving features are turned on, one of them throttles the CPU speed for better battery life.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LaptopGun posted:

Only problems have been that keyboard sometimes drives me nuts between an overly aggressive autowrong and a twitchy Swype wannabe I accidentally trigger.
The Samsung Keyboard sucks. It's only redeeming quality is that it's themed to fit in with the aesthetic of the rest of the device, but functionally it's a pile of poo poo. If nothing else, try the Jelly Bean Keyboard, which really should've come on the device.

If you want something with better prediction capabilities, everyone loves SwiftKey 3. There's also the Swype Beta if you want to go that route. But seriously, the Jelly Bean Keyboard is pretty darn good for free and I wish Google made it a required component (even if not default) on all Android devices.

bull3964 posted:

It just puzzles me how Samsung managed to grab the #1 spot of smartphone manufacturers.
Honestly, because everyone else stopped trying.

The Galaxy Nexus is the best Android phone nobody's heard of. Google hasn't made any effort to market it and most people are unaware of it. Even where you can see a Galaxy Nexus side-by-side with an S3 a lot of people don't react well to it. They see this dark, drab UI that has none of the fun of TouchWiz. Basically, if the S3 is positioned to make impressive store displays and sell units, the Galaxy Nexus does the opposite.

Not sure what's up with HTC. The One X should be able to sell well, but they didn't quite accomplish the consistent branding that the S3 did. Their marketing strategy is also confusing, recently it seems like they've been trying to sell headphones or earbuds or something, given how much they were pimping Beats.

As for Motorola, I just don't think they're competitive in a world where they pretend that only one US carrier matters.

As for S3 "jerkiness", I find the performance of latest-OTA stock following a factory reset to be pretty good. Well, you have to give first boot a few minutes to deal with the assload of bloatware preinstalled on it, but it's smooth sailing after that.

Each of the US S3 units has the same specs, aside from the radio. However, Samsung did manufacturer some number of prototype/review units that only have 1 GB of RAM. Actually they only have 600 MBish since they ship with exactly 1024 MB less than the production models, and on both units about 300 MB is reserved as carveouts for peripheral support (GPU, hardware multimedia encoders/decoders, etc.). I don't know if any of these units made it to store displays or not.

Now, with all that, Qualcomm has been putting in a shitload of work on the S4's Jelly Bean port which should hit the US One X and S3 "sometime". These changes are being pulled into the S3's CM10 previews and although it's all pretty beta yet, it's some really neat stuff. UI rendering now absolutely flies. The other cool bit is IOMMU support which frees up nearly 200 MB of RAM previously tied up in static carveouts to support peripheral hardware. Neat stuff.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...
Anyone in Lower Manhattan having 4G issues? My Razr Maxx doesn't want to connect to any 4G where I work (Broadway & Wall Street), even with rebooting and toggling mobile data on and off.

My phone says that 3G signal strength is -83dBm, with 1x at -73. When it does connect to 4G briefly, it reads the same signal strength as 3G, then kicks back down to 3G.

Very annoying, especially since 3G is slow as crap down here. As soon as I get to Jersey via the PATH, 4G comes back.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Has Verizon/Moto commented on if.the Razr/Razr Maxx will get jelly bean?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm pretty sure they will, but they haven't commented on a timeline yet.

For now, I would settle for the GOOGLE FLAGSHIP DEVICE getting it. That's probably too much to ask though.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

I'm pretty sure they will, but they haven't commented on a timeline yet.

For now, I would settle for the GOOGLE FLAGSHIP DEVICE getting it. That's probably too much to ask though.

Google's flagship device did get it, but that device is not compatible with Verizon's network :shrug:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

RVProfootballer posted:

Google's flagship device did get it, but that device is not compatible with Verizon's network :shrug:

Irrelevant. The Verizon Galaxy Nexus is a GED and the updates are managed by Google. The complete silence on this is just another example in a long line how Google doesn't "get" hardware. Even a simple "we've submitted the update to Verizon for validation testing" would be better than nothing at this point.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

What is the consensus on this phone anyway?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

dane cook torrent posted:

Moto software is what it is. Amazing radios, amazing battery. Just got ICS, likely won't see JB.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Pros:
ICS (essentially stock, "Blur" is more or less dead)
Amazing Battery Life
Excellent Call Quality
Excellent External Speaker
Best radios for any Verizon device.

Cons:
OMAP 4430 is dated now
Middle of the road camera
QHD pentile screen

It's a really solid phone, but it's essentially been on the market for almost 9 months now (since it's just a Razr with a bigger battery) and there are bigger and better things around the corner.

It's still one of the top 3 LTE smartphones Verizon offers though.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Awesome phone that's starting to get old. It just got ICS and it will *probably* see Jellybean before the big updates cease.

With the S3 and maybe the Razr HD (soonish?) you now have other options if you're on Verizon. Its still an incredibly solid phone though, and apparently sold very well.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

A little bit ago I was asking about getting off a family plan and whether I'd get to keep my unlimited data or not . . . I can confirm that they did not force me off of unlimited data. I am now all set up with my separate plan and they can kill my unlimited data when they pry it from my cold dead hands. :q:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Awesome phone that's starting to get old. It just got ICS and it will *probably* see Jellybean before the big updates cease.

With the S3 and maybe the Razr HD (soonish?) you now have other options if you're on Verizon. Its still an incredibly solid phone though, and apparently sold very well.

I see a lot of them in the wild. Razr mostly, a few maxx here and there. But ya I agree, solid phone if you cant wait.

Hostile Rabbi
Jun 25, 2005

by Ralp

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Are there any other phones worth holding out for besides the Razr HD and the iPhone 5? I dropped my Droid X recently and caused some sort of pixel holocaust on my screen. It still functions ok for a two year old phone, but I think the time to use my upgrade is fast approaching.

If I end up taking the plunge now I'm looking at either the Galaxy Nexus, the S3, or the Maxx. From what I've been reading, the radios are crappy on the Nexus, the S3's battery drains fast even by smartphone standards, and the Maxx has a bad screen. Which of those is likely to cause the least headaches?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Hostile Rabbi posted:

Are there any other phones worth holding out for besides the Razr HD and the iPhone 5? I dropped my Droid X recently and caused some sort of pixel holocaust on my screen. It still functions ok for a two year old phone, but I think the time to use my upgrade is fast approaching.

If I end up taking the plunge now I'm looking at either the Galaxy Nexus, the S3, or the Maxx. From what I've been reading, the radios are crappy on the Nexus, the S3's battery drains fast even by smartphone standards, and the Maxx has a bad screen. Which of those is likely to cause the least headaches?

All of that is really up to you. I can only offer a personal anecdote; I had both an X2 and Droid 3 and they supposedly have pretty much the same screen as the Razr and it didn't bother me one bit. Other people, however, say it's horrible. Just go to a store and check out the screens so you can get a feel for them.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

bull3964 posted:

See, I played with a SGSIII the other day at the store (while I was waiting for my coworker to get his Xoom reactivated) and I wasn't impressed at all...

I agree it's very cartoonish and slick in more ways than one. I'm not bothered by it. The phone works. As a netflix junkie, the giant screen is a nice benefit. This from a guy who was previously skeptical about giant "4.3 inch screens." I have not seen much of any slowdown with my personal phone and the store demos in normal circumstances. App crashes or downloading 20 app updates at once in lovely 3G coverage causes minor effects, but overall the S4 and 2GB are as beastly as advertised.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The Samsung Keyboard sucks. It's only redeeming quality is that it's themed to fit in with the aesthetic of the rest of the device, but functionally it's a pile of poo poo. If nothing else, try the Jelly Bean Keyboard, which really should've come on the device.

If you want something with better prediction capabilities, everyone loves SwiftKey 3. There's also the Swype Beta if you want to go that route. But seriously, the Jelly Bean Keyboard is pretty darn good for free and I wish Google made it a required component (even if not default) on all Android devices.

(And more awesome Android tech stuff)

I hadn't noticed the Jelly Bean Keyboard was pulled and working for phones yet. Thanks. Last year, the stock Gingerbread keyboard was the semi-official solution for keyboard concerns and more importantly the Motorola keyboard glitches.

The 2 demos in my store appear to be full memory and only seem to slow down when applying updates to the demo software or finishing a NFC transfer. Wild card of software or apps that crash notwithstanding. Would not surprise me if Samsung had to churn out some lower memory spec demos just to meet demands of a global rollout.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

All of that is really up to you. I can only offer a personal anecdote; I had both an X2 and Droid 3 and they supposedly have pretty much the same screen as the Razr and it didn't bother me one bit. Other people, however, say it's horrible. Just go to a store and check out the screens so you can get a feel for them.

They don't have the same screen at all. The X2 and D3 had RBGW pentile LCD. The RAZR and RAZR MAXX have a pentile RGBG AMOLED screen.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

bull3964 posted:

They don't have the same screen at all. The X2 and D3 had RBGW pentile LCD. The RAZR and RAZR MAXX have a pentile RGBG AMOLED screen.

Must have got it confused with the Bionic then? That whole time frame of phones just sorta blended together :(

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Must have got it confused with the Bionic then? That whole time frame of phones just sorta blended together :(

Yeah, the Bionic and the D4 both share the RGBW LCD screen.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Hostile Rabbi posted:

I went from nexus to Maxx.

Screen is pretty bad. But the battery makes it worth it. I didn't want to gently caress around with better battery stats and all that poo poo. I just wanted a phone that would get through a day.

I do miss my nexus screen and jelly bean is really slick. But for a daily driver I carry my maxx. I do carry the nexus on some of my days off when I can hit a charger whenever I want. But only then. Because it dies so fast. :-(

If the screen don't bother you after playing with one in store. You'll be happy with the maxx. If not go nexus and buy an extended battery.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 10, 2012

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

My concern with the RAZR Maxx is that I'd still manage to kill it, and then I'd be unable to change batteries because it's not user-accessible. I usually carry a charged Nexus and a charged spare extended battery in my back pocket, which is 4200 mAh of total battery. Obviously on a low-usage day I don't even need to swap them out, but I've definitely killed two batteries on days with heavy GPS usage, LTE browsing on the train, constant Spotify usage, and running the Strava app (with GPS) during an evening bike ride.

It basically just boils down to this: if you use your poo poo a lot, you're going to need more battery.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

And that's why external battery packs have become a more common product on the market.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

LaptopGun posted:

The 2 demos in my store appear to be full memory and only seem to slow down when applying updates to the demo software or finishing a NFC transfer. Wild card of software or apps that crash notwithstanding. Would not surprise me if Samsung had to churn out some lower memory spec demos just to meet demands of a global rollout.

Other than Apple, any demos you see are just phones pulled out of normal stock.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

EbolaIvory posted:

I went from nexus to Maxx.

Screen is pretty bad. But the battery makes it worth it. I didn't want to gently caress around with better battery stats and all that poo poo. I just wanted a phone that would get through a day.

I do miss my nexus screen and jelly bean is really slick. But for a daily driver I carry my maxx. I do carry the nexus on some of my days off when I can hit a charger whenever I want. But only then. Because it dies so fast. :-(

If the screen don't bother you after playing with one in store. You'll be happy with the maxx. If not go nexus and buy an extended battery.

Wow so I am not the only one feeling that way about Nexus, why is the screen bad on the maxx though?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Wow so I am not the only one feeling that way about Nexus, why is the screen bad on the maxx though?

It's just a lot lower PPI than the Galaxy Nexus, 256 PPI vs 315 PPI, which makes it easier to see the pixels.

FWIW, the uniformity of my Razr's screen is better than my Galaxy Nexus though, especially at lower brightness levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

td4guy posted:

And that's why external battery packs have become a more common product on the market.
Sadly extended battery covers still look like rear end.

bull3964 posted:

It's just a lot lower PPI than the Galaxy Nexus, 256 PPI vs 315 PPI, which makes it easier to see the pixels.
Yikes, that explains a lot.

I'm alright with PenTile RGBG but, 300 DPI (or PPI or whatever, it's a fake number anyways) is probably the threshold where I won't actually notice it's PenTile anymore.

• Locked thread