Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Much like Jason himself, this thread rises once again. OooohoOOoooh

In work so I can't access Youtube, but search for "New Jason kills" some dude has got some of the animations up with placeholder objects because it seems we're getting a LOT of new environmental kills... But people will still just mash A to punch heads off all the time. Just you wait and see.

Also someone else said that at the PAX panel the Devs said they eventually wanted a unique map for each Jason. (Obviously jason wouldn't be tied to his map, but y'know...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Wake me when Roy.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Wake me when Roy.

Don't worry, evidence points to a release at the end of August. :geno:

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
gently caress my life. Two potential Jason kills one after the other ruined by pubbies. First one is Tommy and hits Jason with the axe instead of pressing E when he is on his knees and the second time a Tiffany (of course) steals the sweater from just in front of me and is the only one in the group with a baseball bat when she loving uses the sweater and no one can knock Jason down. ARGH.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
There's a Friday the 13th in October I can't believe they'd waste that opportunity to release something. So maybe that's when they're planning to drop Roy on us.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

codenameFANGIO posted:

The polling data was WRONG!

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Basebf555 posted:

There's a Friday the 13th in October I can't believe they'd waste that opportunity to release something. So maybe that's when they're planning to drop Roy on us.

I keep bringing up the fact this is the release date for the physical copy of the game, but no one listens. :smith:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Skunkrocker posted:

I keep bringing up the fact this is the release date for the physical copy of the game, but no one listens. :smith:

They're too busy listening to your amazing Dream Warriors remix to hear you

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

codenameFANGIO posted:

That end of August thing already came and went, the hints weren't about Roy. They were about the small maps and other minor updates, and that already happened at the end of August (the 28th or "2" and "8" as the hint pictures suggested).

There's nothing to even suggest Roy is specifically coming at any point, they've just mentioned potential new Jasons and skins for all the Jasons.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

There's nothing to even suggest Roy is specifically coming at any point, they've just mentioned potential new Jasons and skins for all the Jasons.

The expectation of Roy was predicated on those images having blue dots in the same color as the triangle decals on his mask. Also, it was revealed on Reddit or Twitter by an Illfonic rep that Gun wanted all of this big update out in August, but ran into issues with one of the consoles.

If someone can find that post for me that'd be great; I'm at work.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
How exactly does choking work with Jason?

Last night I had an extremely frustrating game where I spawned as Jason and couldn't kill anybody with the choke. I'd pick a counselor up and all four kill prompts would stay greyed out for like 10 full seconds, long enough that absolutely everyone could just break free before I was able to perform a kill.

On the other hand I'm never able to escape from a choke before getting killed... even as full health Tommy Jarvis, even though I play on keyboard and mouse and can slam the E key with four fingers simultaneously.

Is amount of choke time before the prompts light up tied to counselor stamina or counselor health? Are there certain choke abilities that light up sooner than others?

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 6, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Polo-Rican posted:

How exactly does choking work with Jason?

Last night I had an extremely frustrating game where I spawned as Jason and couldn't kill anybody with the choke. I'd pick a counselor up and all four kill prompts would stay greyed out for like 10 full seconds, long enough that absolutely everyone could just break free before I was able to perform a kill.

On the other hand I'm never able to escape from a choke before getting killed... even as full health Tommy Jarvis, even though I play on keyboard and mouse and can slam the E key with four fingers simultaneously.

Is amount of choke time before the prompts light up tied to counselor stamina or counselor health? Are there certain choke abilities that light up sooner than others?

All kills are activated a fraction of a second after picking someone up, but you need to be in an area with sufficient room for the animation to play without clipping. You were likely in an area that was too cramped or inclined for any of your selected kills to activate.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
you also sometimes just bug the gently caress out and grab kills can't work on some dudes

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

All kills are activated a fraction of a second after picking someone up, but you need to be in an area with sufficient room for the animation to play without clipping. You were likely in an area that was too cramped or inclined for any of your selected kills to activate.

Yeah, it's a shame that in order to really min-max your kill chances as Jason you need to cut out most of the best kills. If you want the best chance of getting a grab kill in any situation you're mostly limited to kills where Jason is really up close next to the counselor, stuff like the head crush, eye gouge, bear hug, etc. Every other kill needs like a medium or long distance to pull off. I mean, I've reverted all my Jasons back to prestige kills because gently caress it, but if you want to Power Game then you need to limit yourself to only kills that can be pulled off as quickly as possible in close quarters.

Also gently caress Power Gamers. Friday the 13th wasn't mean to be a pro gamer Twitch Superstar game and yet most of the randos I play with now seem to think there's some element of competition to the game and take it really seriously. The counselors taunt Jasons and teabag them, Jasons only use the quickest kills, counselors use exploits to bypass traps, etc. I specifically got into this game because it wasn't competitive (because I hate that poo poo, not my scene at all), and now it's being overrun with tryhards.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

Oh my god i didn't even know this was a thing but it makes sense Arghhhh

So, I'm guessing some kills require more space than others?? I purposely slotted all of the cool-as-hell kills but in retrospect they all require a lot of room.

Is this why so many Jasons slot the boring, simple choke?

edit: the guy above me answered my question. I was going nuts trying to figure out why I felt like I was getting worse at Jason, and the answer is I just slotted too many cool kills. Part of the problem is that, since you only spawn as Jason one out of every 10 games, it's hard to test this poo poo out.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I typically just go for three cool looking kills and then I keep the head punch or the bear hug on for close quarters when I have no other choice.

I also have a wrestler Jason loadout where he never actually uses the weapon, just bear hugs, body slams, and backbreakers with the occasional head punch.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Back Breaker is my personal favourite kill, not so much because it's quick and doesn't need much room, but because it's hilarious to me :allears: The throw after the spine break makes me last every time. My second favourite is the heart punch just for the head tilt at the end, like "oh ewww there's guts in these things."

Come to think of it most of my favourite kills are because they're hilarious. The open window throw is the best environmental kill because the counselor just explodes into gore for no reason

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Danaru posted:

Back Breaker is my personal favourite kill, not so much because it's quick and doesn't need much room, but because it's hilarious to me :allears: The throw after the spine break makes me last every time. My second favourite is the heart punch just for the head tilt at the end, like "oh ewww there's guts in these things."

Come to think of it most of my favourite kills are because they're hilarious. The open window throw is the best environmental kill because the counselor just explodes into gore for no reason

It's even better when you catch someone trying to get out through that same window. "Oh, you want out? Here you go. I'm helping!"

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Skunkrocker posted:

It's even better when you catch someone trying to get out through that same window. "Oh, you want out? Here you go. I'm helping!"

I did the exact opposite once, had a group of jerks holed up in a cabin so I activated stalk and ducked around the corner. One of them popped out the window to leave so I walk out and hurl them back inside :v: Scared the poo poo out of the people still inside

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Danaru posted:

The throw after the spine break makes me last every time.

I wonder if the backbreaker/throw is an intentional reference to Jason X or if, in stuntman school, that's just how you do movie backbreakers.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Danaru posted:

I did the exact opposite once, had a group of jerks holed up in a cabin so I activated stalk and ducked around the corner. One of them popped out the window to leave so I walk out and hurl them back inside :v: Scared the poo poo out of the people still inside

Its amazing how many people, even now, can be fooled enough by stalk to leave cabins and run right into my arms. People just get really uncomfortable in cabins when they feel like they don't know where Jason is, they bug out. Standing right there as someone climbs out a window is like the best kind of kill in the whole game, you know they see you but they're now into the window climbing animation and it's too late to go back! Only thing that beats that is when you are chasing two or three counselors and they all run into a cabin but you manage to shift in behind them right as they close the door. Oh man, the screams.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
So something I've just learned today courtesy of Will from Illfonic - walkies have a max radius and Psychic boosts that radius.

Yeah, that's news to me - and evidenced by a bunch of people who replied after - news to them, too. So that's something to test sometime - the max range of walkie talkies.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I don't know if i like the smaller maps or not, playing with pubs it seems like it's just an easier way to get everybody killed with less places to hide from Jason.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I've been getting back into the game and have also now seen most of the movies as a result. Only the 2009 movie left.

Where the hell is my counselor character with crazy psychic powers? Or my fuckin' spaceship stage? WHERE IS MANHATTAN?

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I don't know if i like the smaller maps or not, playing with pubs it seems like it's just an easier way to get everybody killed with less places to hide from Jason.
I've played a few small maps now and I think I like the big ones better too. The longer nature of the cat and mouse game is just more fun on the bigger maps IMO.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Overall I think I prefer small maps when playing as a counselor and large maps when playing as Jason.

The small maps can actually be really frustrating when you play as Jason because the items are so densely distributed. Played a Packanack Small game where I got pocketknifed at least 4 times; also, the counselors got the car started in what felt like under 2 minutes. If the car gets started on a Small map you have to be on your A game because if you miss a single warp or shift the car is gone.

But when you're a counselor the item density is nice. It's always frustrating when you have bad luck, rummage through a ton of cabins, and find 0 good items.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Sep 8, 2017

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

But when you're a counselor the item density is nice. It's always frustrating when you have bad luck, rummage through a ton of cabins, and find 0 good items.

I think a good general rule of thumb is that if you've searched at least three cabins and have nothing to show for it but a wrench, just seek out the nearest group of counselors and stick by them and hope that maybe somebody dies and gives you an open spot in the car. :getin:

Or find the lone wolf who's been working on the two-seater or boat.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Pretty much every time I play on a small map I end up accidentally stumbling into Jason's shack every game. Were I a bigger rear end in a top hat, I'd probably take as many essential items as I can carry there and drop them all around the sweater.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I was curious, because I don't "main" any counselor and always have it set to random, does Chad's Luck skill actually make important items more likely to spawn for him or make him spawn near the good poo poo? Because last night I had two Chad rolls in a row, and both times my Chads found a pocket knife within the first two drawers that I checked. I'm never that fortunate, and I rarely get a Chad roll. Maybe it's a coincidence but it seemed a little suspicious.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

no, chad's luck does not have anything to do with items

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

The key to the game is to always, always play as La Chappa, so that when you have lovely luck and get killed quickly instead of getting mad you're just like: "well, that's life as La Chappa"

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
How rare are axee? I swear the only time I see an axe is when I'm sprinting into Big J's house to steal his Mama's sweater

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

There are a couple static spawns outside of the shack (including one in the graveyard on Higgins) but in general you should not count on seeing an axe no

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Dammit, I finally rolled Thrasher too :smith: I remember reading that with a good enough Thrasher perk, Buggzy can one-shot Jason's mask off

Also I finally got to see Savini Jason in action last night :buddy: He let me go early on in the match because some loser fired both shotguns in packanack small into the wall to purposely waste them. About three minutes later I saw him chasing down a teammate so I loving noscoped him in the face with a flare from the woods nearby. He didn't appreciate that much, I didn't even know you could kill a counselor with an unlocked door

Danaru fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 8, 2017

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
The Cruise ship from Jason Takes Manhattan would be an awesome map. Super dynamic. MY WIFE and I just watched it last night, and think it would be a ton of fun, and a huge change of pace from the current maps. Also Jason has some of his best powers in that movie. Also they would have to reenable friendly fire, as that happens pretty early in the film.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/Friday13thGame/status/906245994035257344

Yes yes hell yes

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The cruise ship would be cool if they could make it very vertical as a contrast to the other stages.

You could maybe even work the pa system into a stage mechanic, like how its used in the movie.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Coolguye posted:

no, chad's luck does not have anything to do with items

Danaru posted:

How rare are axee? I swear the only time I see an axe is when I'm sprinting into Big J's house to steal his Mama's sweater

Speaking of Chad luck, both of those aforementioned Chads dropped their spawning bats early in the match... to pick up axes.

But in all seriousness, I've had lovely Chad matches too. I just thought it was weird that in two random Chad rolls I got a pocket knife and an axe in the first five minutes. The first Chad died shortly after but still.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

gently caress. It's not Roy. :gonk:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Raxivace posted:

The cruise ship would be cool if they could make it very vertical as a contrast to the other stages.

You could maybe even work the pa system into a stage mechanic, like how its used in the movie.

Make the dance floor into a distraction a la the boombox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Raxivace posted:

Both Jason and the counselors can yell stuff into the PA system that is audible across the entire ship, with a filter to make it sound tinny and have occasional feedback noise.

• Locked thread