Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Hot take: Nemesis and Insurrection were bad movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Croatoan posted:

How brave.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I will die on this hill.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like that Picard is so horny he manifests the ability to slow down time

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Croatoan posted:

I will die on this hill.

Sir, this is a speed bump in the Wendy’s drive-thru.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

FlamingLiberal posted:

I rewatched the scenes on the ‘Enterprise-D’ after rewatching ‘The Pegasus’ and yeesh they look real bad in comparison

Yeah I'm not gonna do that but man, the finale wasn't awful but man, it does the show dirty. I am in awe that they killed trip like what the fuuuuuuuuuuuck

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ramadu posted:

Yeah I'm not gonna do that but man, the finale wasn't awful but man, it does the show dirty. I am in awe that they killed trip like what the fuuuuuuuuuuuck

The post-series books (which aren't terrible for Trek books) retcon this because everyone thought it was dumb as poo poo.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Trip/T'Pol seemed really gimmicky at first, by the end of the fourth season they'd sold me on it, and then immediately they just undo it, like they could have also ended by having the Enterprise explode and the whole cast die if they want to be "realistic".

I'll probably read the post-series novels later

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 29, 2020

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Croatoan posted:

tepid.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
This is why I count the excellent Demons/Terra Prime as the true thematic series finale to Enterprise. The episode after is just some fan fiction that Berman and Braga farted out as a self-fellating capstone to their careers since TNG.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I was watching TOS-Obsession last night and I’m not sure what copy Netflix got. It’s the HD remastered version, but all of the space scenes are the original. I looked it up and they did remaster the space scenes for the episode but I have no idea what cut Netflix ended up with.

There are two cuts of every episode on the blu-ray, one with the new SFX and one with the old SFX upscaled and only the live action shots scanned in HD.

It looks like netflix was given the later copy for that episode.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Croatoan posted:

My man, if this take was a microwave burrito it would be at the bottom of Lake Vostok right now.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Grand Fromage posted:

The post-series books (which aren't terrible for Trek books) retcon this because everyone thought it was dumb as poo poo.

I especially appreciated how in the first book of that series, which uses the framing device of Jake Sisko and Nog finding a holodeck program that shows the "true" history and not the fake one from the holo-program Riker used in "These Are the Voyages...", Jake and Nog spend an entire page rattling off some of the inconsistencies (i.e. stupid poo poo that the episode writers should have thought of) that make it obvious that the latter holo-program was complete bullshit.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
People that nitpick historical holonovels for inaccuracies are the worst people to LARP Sherlock Holmes with.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Angry Salami posted:

People that nitpick historical holonovels for inaccuracies are the worst people to LARP Sherlock Holmes with.

I don't know, it would have been great if LaForge had insisted that Data trigger a "Cocaine High Protocol" to properly play Holmes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Now, will the replicator make it for Geordi?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The worst part about killing Trip was how contrived that whole thing was. "Oh man, we gotta help Shran, he fell in with some bad folks and now bad people have his daughter that we just found out existed!"
"Ah good, mission successful, is there any chance of this coming back to bite us?"
"Nope, their ship is super slow and terrible!"

And then Trip explodes himself and 3 mooks to protect the Captain. The least they could have done if they needed to kill off a crewman was to at least provide follow-up to an existing plot thread from 4 years of show, not just whip up some wild bullshit like Shran's secret daughter.

I know nuTrek gets a lot of poo poo for upping the stakes too much but the stakes for the finale of the show could stand to be a little higher.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

DrNutt posted:

I know nuTrek gets a lot of poo poo for upping the stakes too much but the stakes for the finale of the show could stand to be a little higher.

Yeah they could have had a plot about a terrorist organization attempting to keep Earth from forming an alliance with other planets, obviously hinting at the beginnings of the Federation as we know it will be eventually. It could show how far relations between Earth, Vulcan, and Andor had come since the beginning of the show.

Would have been a great idea for a series finale but oh well, guess something like that would have been too ambitious.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Humerus posted:

Yeah they could have had a plot about a terrorist organization attempting to keep Earth from forming an alliance with other planets, obviously hinting at the beginnings of the Federation as we know it will be eventually. It could show how far relations between Earth, Vulcan, and Andor had come since the beginning of the show.

Would have been a great idea for a series finale but oh well, guess something like that would have been too ambitious.

:hmmyes:

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Beverly owned in that one episode where she was acting captain; listened to the crew's input but also took no poo poo, was decisive & efficient, stayed level-headed ... way better than Will whenever he was put in charge.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/levarburton/status/1266453337857118208

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

galenanorth posted:

I'll probably read the post-series novels later

The Romulan War ones are pretty fun though they didn't make up for the show getting cancelled before seeing the whole loving reason I was excited for Enterprise.

tmm3k
Jul 19, 2006

Peyote Panda posted:

I don't know, it would have been great if LaForge had insisted that Data trigger a "Cocaine High Protocol" to properly play Holmes.

"Computer, create a mountain of cocaine capable of defeating Data."

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

tmm3k posted:

"Computer, create a mountain of cocaine capable of defeating Data."

*Alex Kurtzman materializes*

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

:hai:

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Fitting that Far Beyond the Stars came up on my DS9 rewatch today. :(

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HD DAD posted:

This is why I count the excellent Demons/Terra Prime as the true thematic series finale to Enterprise. The episode after is just some fan fiction that Berman and Braga farted out as a self-fellating capstone to their careers since TNG.

Manny Coto literally wrote Terra Prime as "his" series finale. He always had a feeling that Berman and Braga were going to rear their ugly heads again and do some fuckery, and he was right.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

ER-ROR. DOES NOT COM-PUTE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lGIbqF1F10

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Goddamnit, every single one of these is better than the last!

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
That was subtle.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Timby posted:

Manny Coto literally wrote Terra Prime as "his" series finale. He always had a feeling that Berman and Braga were going to rear their ugly heads again and do some fuckery, and he was right.

ha, that's great

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Gonz posted:

Goddamnit, every single one of these is better than the last!

Seriously I shout-laughed

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Is TNG season 2 really ending on a recap episode? holy poo poo.

edit: sure hope this Riker guy pulls through.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

The episode was made during a writers' strike afaik.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nah, it was a money-saving thing shot in a few days because they overspent on the Borg and Sherlock Holmes.

The studios tried to force them to do it again in season four but they managed to convince the studio to let them try to churn out a full bottle episode they could shoot fast and cheaply to save money instead because of how terrible Shades of Grey was, and made The Drumhead.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Welcome to maybe the worst episode of TNG.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Grand Fromage posted:

Welcome to maybe the worst episode of TNG.

It's probably the objectively worst episode of Star Trek if we're being honest here.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I dunno, I’ll take a lazy clip show any day over actual offensive poo poo like Code of Honor or Turnabout Intruder.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I dunno, I’ll take a lazy clip show any day over actual offensive poo poo like Code of Honor or Turnabout Intruder.

Yeah, Shades of Grey is kind of lovely (especially compared to Stargate's clip shows made years later) but it's far from the worst episode of Star Trek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
*in Tim Curry voice*

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE

https://twitter.com/cspan/status/1266815932720087049

Edit: Old Space Shuttle cockpit:

New space shuttle cockpit:

Gonz fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 30, 2020