Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Why do people bash pokemon? - A 30 year old man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

Screaming Idiot posted:

I don't get why people are so against the new Pokemon games. "It's not the same as it was when I was a child, so it's bad!"
It's busywork as "entertainment" raised almost to an art form.

WoW, on the other hand, is it raised ACTUALLY to an art form.

(hint: The version from when we were children was also bad.)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The continued publishing and marketing of pokemon games is itself the ultimate grief.

(Is this really what the thread is about now?)

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
Can we make this the new autistic idiot megathread?

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

Can we make this the new autistic idiot megathread?

What's wrong with the current pokemon megathread? :confused:

Jzmisgoo
Sep 15, 2007

Jzm IS goo!!

Justice posted:

drat son, that's cold.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Justice posted:

Sorry, it has to become the new DNF thread.

Clean thread! Clean thread! Move down, move down, move down!

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Phantom Dust is a game that's got some good griefing potential. It's sort of like a collectible card sort of thing, except the cards are powerups you can use in a 3D arena. It's probably the best XBox exclusive title.

Think Megaman Battle Network's chips with stricter folder setups and no comboing, and you've got something vaguely similar. All of it set up in a third person action game.

My personal dicking around folder of choice was an Erase folder. You could only have 30 chips or so in your library, and you started dying if you ran out. My entire setup was designed to erase those. Try to hit me? Nope, erased that attack. Don't try? I erased your evasion skill because you couldn't jump while you were using it. If you didn't keep an eye on your chips, as they spawned on the field, well, I'd go steal those using special chips designed to do just that.

If you target an enemy and run forward, you'll push them on contact slowly. There are places in the game where this can be lethal, for example the oil rig level. You only get one spawn point, and there's one that's on a narrow bridge, so if you run over immediately on the match starting and find the person who's got that one, well, you can just keep nudging them off and I'm not sure they can do much about it unless they dodge you and grab weapons, but that's not likely on the tiny bridge.

The ultimate move, the titular attack the game's named after, requires a special setup to pull off. What does it do? It resets the match. Everyone's at full health, full folder, no equipment, and all the chips on the map reset to the way they'd be at the beginning of a new map. So someone dickish enough could theoretically keep a game going on for all time, even with Erase folders going.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Hog Butcher posted:

Phantom Dust is a game that's got some good griefing potential. It's sort of like a collectible card sort of thing, except the cards are powerups you can use in a 3D arena. It's probably the best XBox exclusive title.

Think Megaman Battle Network's chips with stricter folder setups and no comboing, and you've got something vaguely similar. All of it set up in a third person action game.

My personal dicking around folder of choice was an Erase folder. You could only have 30 chips or so in your library, and you started dying if you ran out. My entire setup was designed to erase those. Try to hit me? Nope, erased that attack. Don't try? I erased your evasion skill because you couldn't jump while you were using it. If you didn't keep an eye on your chips, as they spawned on the field, well, I'd go steal those using special chips designed to do just that.

If you target an enemy and run forward, you'll push them on contact slowly. There are places in the game where this can be lethal, for example the oil rig level. You only get one spawn point, and there's one that's on a narrow bridge, so if you run over immediately on the match starting and find the person who's got that one, well, you can just keep nudging them off and I'm not sure they can do much about it unless they dodge you and grab weapons, but that's not likely on the tiny bridge.

The ultimate move, the titular attack the game's named after, requires a special setup to pull off. What does it do? It resets the match. Everyone's at full health, full folder, no equipment, and all the chips on the map reset to the way they'd be at the beginning of a new map. So someone dickish enough could theoretically keep a game going on for all time, even with Erase folders going.

This sounds like an infuriating troll. I love it.

big duck equals goose posted:

Why do people bash pokemon? - A 30 year old man.

Man, that child's game is silly! I only play mature video games. - A grown-rear end man who still plays video games.

(Videogames are equally childish regardless of the genre or gameplay. Hope that helps! :ssh:)

Jzmisgoo
Sep 15, 2007

Jzm IS goo!!

Screaming Idiot posted:

(Videogames are equally childish regardless of the genre or gameplay. Hope that helps! :ssh:)

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE ESRB RATINGS??!

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Screaming Idiot posted:

Considering all the adult-oriented games on the market (and I don't necessarily mean misogynistic games like Duke Nukem), that's like saying Pogs and sports betting are equally childish. But by all means, keep griefing the thread. Or are YOU the one being griefed? :iiam:

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Endorph posted:

So you... waste your own time for no benefit? Awesome grief, bro.

Others have explained but I literally take ten seconds to waste around half an hour of three people.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Don't think this was posted yet, so here you go.

Pretty funny stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e2dqp78VC8#t=4m40s

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Dillbag posted:

Considering all the adult-oriented games on the market (and I don't necessarily mean misogynistic games like Duke Nukem), that's like saying Pogs and sports betting are equally childish. But by all means, keep griefing the thread. Or are YOU the one being griefed? :iiam:

Whether you're grinding Charizard against a sea of Geodudes and Zubats in a cave or calling someone a human being in Starcraft, you're still wasting time you might use productively, and both bring about the same benefit: you're having fun and blowing off steam.

So maybe it's possible some people have different video game preferences??? Crazy.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Doc Hawkins posted:

The continued publishing and marketing of pokemon games is itself the ultimate grief.

(Is this really what the thread is about now?)

I don't want to get too off-topic but if you were like me who liked the idea of pokemon but couldn't get into the sequels- black and white solve a bunch of problems with the game and they are perfect for you. :shobon:

YHWH
May 17, 2011
:gb2gbs:

ASK ME ABOUT BUYING A PEANUTS AVATAR IN AN ATTEMPT TO PRETEND TO BE AN FYAD
Griefing in Ace of Spades
As a somewhat experienced AOS troll/griefer, I decided to write a little guide. If you want to know more about the game, check out the thread here on SA!
  1. Chat This is a big one. As a lot of Dueces are young, they'll tend to be scared off or frightened by swearing. Swear as much as possible and at everyone and everything. All caps doesn't hurt, either. If someone on the other team is hacking, call them on it. If someone on the other team is better than you, they're hacking. If you spam something like `` /votekick ##'' long enough,eventually they'll do it.
  2. Buildings So some guy on your team, probably around the ripe age of 12 or so, has confused Ace of Spades with Minecraft and is wasting time and giving buildings to the enemy by just building his little houses everywhere. This can be a real problem, as well as quite annoying. Keep in mind that if a block's surrounded on all sides, it turns brown. If a player is trapped in blocks, he'll quit or he's use a grenade to free himself. And you can shoot people that are digging. How can you use this, as a griefer? On 2D buildings, surround the edges of the drawing with brown blocks. Then, from the outward in, start placing brown blocks on top of the offending artwork. If your teammate tries to break blocks, you can kill him and keep covering. If he's in a small house, I like to trap him in blocks and then mine out the walls. There's a lot of obnoxious things you can
    do, but try not to grief the intel defenses. That's just being a douche for the people actually trying to play.
  3. Other Join with the same name as someone else. Even more fun when you're playing with friends. If you're about to be votekicked, quit [and optionally] choose a better name. Switch teams when one gets stale.
I like to play as ``BOB'', as do a few other jerkasses. Feel free to use that name and type in all caps. Duece (some number you're not) is another good option.

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS

Hog Butcher posted:

Phantom Dust is a game that's got some good griefing potential.

This is an understatement.

My favorite troll in Phantom Dust was to play this particular stage that has a gigantic tower in the middle that you can only scale with jump pads. You can stay on one side and be essentially unassailable unless they jump up and knock you off.

Also, in this stage: the floor constantly disappears.

My favorite tactic was to run an ability that momentarily jostled the target. They would just sort of wobble in place for a second. It didn't have to be targeted, and it worked across the entire stage.

My strategy was to get a lot of shields and a lot of these jostle abilities, run up to the tower, and hide up there. The second an enemy tried to chase after me, I'd use the ability and they'd fall back down. There was fall damage. If you fell off the map, it took a bit of life off too.

I usually played IRL with a friend.

After this, we are forbidden from playing Phantom Dust for eternity.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]
I'm sure this has been mentioned by now, but back when I had XBL, I loved to hold people down in multiplayer with the fire truck's water cannon in Grand Theft Auto 4. You'd think Rockstar would have recognized how perfect that was for griefing. Not sure if they've fixed it by now, I haven't played in a long time.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Presumably this has already been mentioned in the many pages of this thread, but back when I played the super hero MMO Champions Online ,Club Caprice was always full of furries, melodramatic RPers and cybersexers just begging for a trolling.
Also, I happened upon this youtube series of griefing videos earlier today, again I don't know if it's already come up, but its quite amusing. http://www.youtube.com/show/howtoannoypeople

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Spacechem griefed me pretty hard. I played the demo a long time ago and was able to work my way through the demo levels, then it ended. I recently bought it and the first level after the demo levels is completely different from the last level of the demo. Or maybe I'm just retarded. But I feel like I just wasted 15 bucks on a game I forgot how to play.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I didn't really do anything new in terms of being an rear end in a top hat, but even the slightest disturbance on any of the Reddit servers in Battlefield Bad Company 2 causes a shitstorm. Oh and a little background information on what exactly I did:

Bad Company runs on the Frostbite engine, which allows for destructible environments. So if you shoot a building with a tank shell, you'll take a chunk out of it. The Reddit server constantly plays a game mode called Rush which usually ends up being a match where no one moves from their spawns and just sniping. If a bombsight is inside a building that can be destroyed, and the building is destroyed, it counts as a capture for the attacking team. Also you can blow it up the old fashioned way by just doing a shitload of damage to it. So sometimes people will just spend rounds lobbing tank shells at the location of the bomb site in order to destroy it. However if you're on the defending team you can plant a lot of c4 on the walls of the building, you can destroy the building but you get 250 points subtracted from your personal score. Sometimes just c4'ing buildings gets boring so I just launch rockets at the building (The one I'm using is named "Carl Gustav" or as I like it "hot carl") It's pretty obvious who I am in these.

(The "LOL" reply was when I finally destroyed a building by shooting it with rockets, and my little celebration was actually getting a kill by randomly spamming rockets at things)

This one was a different day and someone there was capable of cognitive thought and remembered me.

All I did here was to launch a rocket at our team's helicopter upon spawning, which they blamed on a sniper because I got hid after I launched it.

Oh and if you see that list of names on the right of the screen, that's the Mumble overlay (a voicechat program). They give the information for it right on the splash screen for the server so I signed in as "Dicklover" so I can tone down the destruction once they start bitching. Once they stop complaining and go back to talking about animes or their internet janitoring I can go back to blowing poo poo up.

And an actual exchange between two redditors over voicechat:
:downs:"Oh man, who's this dicklover guy in Mumble?"
:butt:"I dunno, I think it's just some guy idling"
:downs:"Aw, that's such an awesome name. It would be prefect to go troll with"

I really regret not being able to record any of this besides screenshots.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Fray Joker posted:

Okay, so a friend and I found a way to make people flip out in that new DnD game on XBLA, Daggerdale.

Basically the deal is whenever you talk to an NPC in the game, it warps EVERYONE playing to it and plays a cutscene which interrupts the pause menu. There's a NPC you can talk to who says "Who keeps breaking my barrels" quick enough that by mashing Y you can spam that cut-scene and keep everyone trapped there. Because it interrupts they can't even get to the menu to quit the game properly.

Cue us luring people into our server and then trapping them until they flip out and rage quit. The best thing about it is that it doesn't in any way indicate who keeps triggering the NPC, so there's no way to tell who's doing it. Having a friend in on it meant that we could swap places in trying to escape from the wrath of barrel guy and keep the pubbies clueless.

And if they do for some reason hang around, another funny thing to do is hanging back by the barrel guy. Let people think you're going to let them play, and wait for them get ahead and while they're in the middle of combat POOF "Who keeps breaking my barrels?" That's usually the breaking point.

You just griefed me with your post or maybe Microsoft did.

You got me curious about this game so I downloaded the demo. I liked it so I was at the store earlier and picked up a 1600 points card. When I scratched off the foil crap to reveal the redeem code, the last two digits are completely unreadable. I took it back to the store to return it only to find out the customer service desk closed 20 minutes before I got back to the store and the manager on duty could not do an exchange so I'd have to come back in the morning.

I tried calling Microsoft and spoke with a very apologetic account rep. I explained my problem to her and she asked me to read off the part of the code I could read (23 of the 25 characters). After stumbling through the phonetic alphabet several times (Foxtrot = F not FT) and spending about fifteen minutes, she explained to me that if I was unable to provide the entire code, she could not punch it into the system to assist me. Of course, if I had the full code, I wouldn't need to call Microsoft.

Instead of getting irritated, I just had to laugh at myself.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Francostein posted:

I didn't really do anything new in terms of being an rear end in a top hat, but even the slightest disturbance on any of the Reddit servers in Battlefield Bad Company 2 causes a shitstorm. Oh and a little background information on what exactly I did:

Bad Company runs on the Frostbite engine, which allows for destructible environments. So if you shoot a building with a tank shell, you'll take a chunk out of it. The Reddit server constantly plays a game mode called Rush which usually ends up being a match where no one moves from their spawns and just sniping. If a bombsight is inside a building that can be destroyed, and the building is destroyed, it counts as a capture for the attacking team. Also you can blow it up the old fashioned way by just doing a shitload of damage to it. So sometimes people will just spend rounds lobbing tank shells at the location of the bomb site in order to destroy it. However if you're on the defending team you can plant a lot of c4 on the walls of the building, you can destroy the building but you get 250 points subtracted from your personal score. Sometimes just c4'ing buildings gets boring so I just launch rockets at the building (The one I'm using is named "Carl Gustav" or as I like it "hot carl") It's pretty obvious who I am in these.

Collapsing buildings with C4 that have wookie teammates camping inside is also a ton of fun and totally justifiable.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Hungryjack posted:

You just griefed me with your post or maybe Microsoft did.

So I guess any sort of minor inconvenience regardless of whether or not it's intentional is a grief now huh.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

That game isn't very good anyway.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
I just got griefed by my ice cream, it got too hard in the freezer!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I just got griefed by my car, it ran out of gas.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"
I used to play Counter-Strike with my brother in the same room.

We'd join the same server and rat out teammates' locations to each other until we were the only two players left and there was still 3 minutes on the clock.

What did we do then? Sit around and wait? No, that would have made it obvious that this was a setup and start a votekick or something, so we did the very opposite.

We'd meet somewhere and have a firefight where we'd intentionally shoot around each other, sometimes just landing a scrape or two to make it convincing.

Sometimes I'd shoot so much I'd have to pick up a gun from the floor, only to continue in a firefight.

And this would last for a whole 3 minutes.

Good times

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
^^ Spoke too soon. That's awesome.

This thread just griefed me because I was expecting more cool stories but nope.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Dice Dice Baby posted:

We'd join the same server and rat out teammates' locations to each other until we were the only two players left and there was still 3 minutes on the clock.

What did we do then? Sit around and wait? No, that would have made it obvious that this was a setup and start a votekick or something, so we did the very opposite.

We'd meet somewhere and have a firefight where we'd intentionally shoot around each other, sometimes just landing a scrape or two to make it convincing.

Sometimes I'd shoot so much I'd have to pick up a gun from the floor, only to continue in a firefight.

Good times

For some reason, this is just infinitely better than just standing around and doing dumb stuff. I just imagine you and him peeking out from behind cover alternatively, shooting at the walls around each other, or just standing like three feet from one another and completely missing.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I was expecting a well-coordinated "oh man, I just missed him. Wonder where he could have gone?" circle-chase scene, but that was even better.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I too was expecting the two of them to just run around the map but be at opposite ends the entire time. Maybe one of them stops to type to his dead team mates "Man I can't find this guy" and then the other guy runs past a window or something.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Xander77 posted:

I was expecting a well-coordinated "oh man, I just missed him. Wonder where he could have gone?" circle-chase scene, but that was even better.

That's ok, as long as they are going in a 30-foot-or-less circle around eachother, and shooting the whole time. While yakety sax plays, of course.

Actually, the best possible scenario is if they planned out a route, and they traded off chasing each other around, each spamming the yakety sax theme over the mic. They'd have to be hopping and crouching randomly and randomizing which person is chasing and which person is fleeing, too.

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!

Cojawfee posted:

I too was expecting the two of them to just run around the map but be at opposite ends the entire time. Maybe one of them stops to type to his dead team mates "Man I can't find this guy" and then the other guy runs past a window or something.

I actually did that a few times with a friend of mine when were talking on skype a while back (I'd say a few months ago.)

I don't play CS:S at all really, but he's big into that and BF:BC2, and I'm huge into TF2. So, we griefed, and we coordinated where we would go to just BARELY miss each other. The rage we heard was amazing. The people watching would shout "HE'S RIGHT THERE GET HIM GET 'EM". and, I of course would turn the opposite direction, it was just fantastic. One guy started screaming. Literally, screaming into his headset so much so that he got kicked from the server.

Then, we both went AFK right in adjacent rooms at the same time, just wanting to see how they'd respond. We unfortunately got kicked from the server shortly after (well, I did) but still it was a lot of fun.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Dice Dice Baby posted:

Good times
Simple yet insanely effective. Good show

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Dice Dice Baby posted:

I used to play Counter-Strike with my brother in the same room...
I did something similar to this with a friend back on MW2, we'd end up as the last alive on each team in search & destroy, we'd then casually walk to the middle of the map or wherever best suits for a good old fashion show down.
We'd stand staring at each other for as long as time would permit, when it got to the last 10 seconds it was time to draw! (switch to pistol and shoot)

Good times.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

big duck equals goose posted:

Don't think this was posted yet, so here you go.

Pretty funny stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e2dqp78VC8#t=4m40s

This is amazing. Was it ever fixed? I would imagine it would have to have been due to all the copycats after awhile much like the whole Team Flare bullshit from TF2.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
They released a patch today jhonny's xray glitch should be gone

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
Just found this on the Pokemon Memebase thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye7b3bOQ6lY&feature=player_embedded

To explain:

He leads off with a Magikarp that has an extremely high speed stat. It has an ability that prevents it from dying, it just stays at 1 HP. Then he switches out to Venasaur (which dies, so it doesn't really matter) and then switches to Smeargle. Smeargle uses a move that puts Kyogre to sleep, then uses Belly Drum which raises his attack stat a lot. Then he uses substitute, which is basically going to be an extra turn against Kyogre when it wakes up so that he doesn't die right away. Then he switches to Magikarp using a move called Baton Pass that lets him switch to Magikarp without losing any stat bonuses (The attack boost, the free turn without dying gained by Substitute)

He then has Magikarp use flail on all of his opponent's legendary Pokemon (they all look like rare shiny ones as well) and kills the entire team. With Magikarp. Since flail gets more powerful when you have less HP, and the Belly Drum attack boost makes it even more powerful, and Magikarp's high speed stat means he always gets the first hit... the whole team just gets obliterated. By a Magikarp.

This is the kind of griefing possible with some creativity. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

Just found this on the Pokemon Memebase thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye7b3bOQ6lY&feature=player_embedded

To explain:

He leads off with a Magikarp that has an extremely high speed stat. It has an ability that prevents it from dying, it just stays at 1 HP. Then he switches out to Venasaur (which dies, so it doesn't really matter) and then switches to Smeargle. Smeargle uses a move that puts Kyogre to sleep, then uses Belly Drum which raises his attack stat a lot. Then he uses substitute, which is basically going to be an extra turn against Kyogre when it wakes up so that he doesn't die right away. Then he switches to Magikarp using a move called Baton Pass that lets him switch to Magikarp without losing any stat bonuses (The attack boost, the free turn without dying gained by Substitute)

He then has Magikarp use flail on all of his opponent's legendary Pokemon (they all look like rare shiny ones as well) and kills the entire team. With Magikarp. Since flail gets more powerful when you have less HP, and the Belly Drum attack boost makes it even more powerful, and Magikarp's high speed stat means he always gets the first hit... the whole team just gets obliterated. By a Magikarp.

This is the kind of griefing possible with some creativity. :allears:

That seems like less greifing and more mindgames and tactics

• Locked thread