Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pram
Jun 10, 2001
use mail.app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Elder Postsman posted:

we had the macy's parade on the television today, and there was an ad for the suface 3 where they compared it to a macbook pro?????? wtf i thought the surface was a tablet but now they say its a full blown laptop?? hosed up.

also a uh promo or whatever came on for the sportsball and they surfaces were all propped up on stands that said MICROSOFT SURFACE on them. lol.

those ads have been playing relentlessly and they're pretty lol

Slow-Scan Shep fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 28, 2014

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

put yourself in the shoes of a prosecutor trying to build a case against you. what evidence could they pin on you? there is nothing on your laptop for them to use, if you obscure your bitcoins propperly, there is no way for them to trace them back to me.
turn on. click in. drop out

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Kirk posted:

also if i hear "but legacy apps" one more time i'm going to turn into a crow and fly away

if you are using legacy windows apps on a touchscreen device you are a fool child who doesn't know how to do their job in a non-retard manner

death to legacy apps, reimplement them all as services with iOS front ends

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Blackula69 posted:

c-level execs don't gently caress around on computers, they talk to people and other people gently caress around on computers for them

depends on how successful they are, the most successful gently caress around on computers plenty

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lmfao

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

infernal machines posted:

you did it wrong :(

I could have swore it was arranged like that somewhere. Oh well have this image anyway

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

put yourself in the shoes of a prosecutor trying to build a case against you. what evidence could they pin on you? there is nothing on your laptop for them to use, if you obscure your bitcoins propperly, there is no way for them to trace them back to me.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Millstone posted:

I could have swore it was arranged like that somewhere. Oh well have this image anyway
iirc the one you're thinking of was on the zune screen itself

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
the worst surface ad is the new christmas one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5_CrXh227Q

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

ITS GOT A U S B

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

"Microsoft Office sold separately" - still the most baffling thing about Surface

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

well i guess they're no longer doing the thing where the low-end model came with office, but the high-end model didn't

so that's good i guess

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

xbone actually did hella good this bf :xbone:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

uncurable mlady posted:

im the disabled transparency effects on the mac and the "screen images simulated" notice

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

A Yolo Wizard posted:

yeah, the fact that you could walk away with one for $329 was the main deal. the fact that it would come with 3-4 games and/or a gift card was pretty nice too, but really being $70+ paid cash cheaper was the most important thing because Black Friday shoppers are all about that sticker price; the PS4 could have come with every game released for console thus far and 5 years of ps+ for $399 and the bone at $329 would still outsell it

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Possibly (although we don't have any numbers right now) - but MS were only able to sell their toy by discounting it severely.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

uncurable mlady posted:

ms is right that tablets are in the middle of killing laptops tho, and it's better than trying to do an ipad comparison

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

A Yolo Wizard posted:

hell yeah this children's toy sold more than the other childrens toy

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

Millstone posted:

speaking of the social, my company decided to set up a sharepoint using sharepoint 2013. we dont have our own IT org but rather use the IT dept of a company we're slowly merging with. their director of IT is big on "THE SO CIAL" or w/e and he decided that every sharepoint site must be integrated with yammer. including the sites that handle collaboration for co-developing software solutions with a certain large company from germany. they are not amused by having memes show up on the sharepoint site

yammer is poo poo

the kicker is that im the sharepoint admin for our half of the company because im still in school and an intern and therefore the only person whose time is worthless enough to do it. cjing sharepoint is awful, death is certain, etc

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Pinterest Mom posted:

well i guess they're no longer doing the thing where the low-end model came with office, but the high-end model didn't

so that's good i guess

that was only for windows RT, and the only reason they did that was because there was literally no way to install or buy office on windows RT because it wasn't a metro app

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Fame Douglas posted:

Possibly (although we don't have any numbers right now) - but MS were only able to sell their toy by discounting it severely.

Discounts during a black friday sale?!?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Discounts during a black friday sale?!?

Yep, MS is pretty desperate - Xbone has been a huge flop so far.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
yeah but just think of all the money they're making off each sale

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

uncurable mlady posted:

ITS GOT A U S B

marketing exec: "make sure to mention that there's a usb!"
marketing drone: "but we're comparing it to a macbook, those all have—"
marketing exec: "You. Ess. Bee."

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

narrator: "has this ever happened to you?"

[black and white footage of a man using a macbook in a starbucks. he notices an attractive lady at the next table using a tablet. she smiles at him, but her expression drops when she sees the conncted keyboard. the man, in an attempt to look cool and with-it by having a tablet, hastily tears his macbook in two and paws at the screen.]

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

duTrieux. posted:

narrator: "has this ever happened to you?"

[black and white footage of a man using a macbook in a starbucks. he notices an attractive lady at the next table using a tablet. she smiles at him, but her expression drops when she sees the conncted keyboard. the man, in an attempt to look cool and with-it by having a tablet, hastily tears his macbook in two and paws at the screen.]

im pretty sure someone has already done this ad except snapping the laptop in half or something

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

duTrieux. posted:

marketing exec: "make sure to mention that there's a usb!"
marketing drone: "but we're comparing it to a macbook, those all have—"
marketing exec: "You. Ess. Bee."

my theory is that the ad was written for surface vs iPad and was changed to MacBook at the last moment. otherwise USB and kickstand don't make any sense.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
yeah a hinged laptop is way more useful than a kickstand

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

The Management posted:

my theory is that the ad was written for surface vs iPad and was changed to MacBook at the last moment. otherwise USB and kickstand don't make any sense.

the usb thing sounds like an olds thing and i can hear someone explaining to their folks that no, the iPad doesn't have 'the usb' and they can't use their old ps2 keyboard just use the bluetooth one that they bought at the apple store last time they were visitng

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

The Management posted:

ya. macbooks are an easier target for ms

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Virion posted:

the usb thing sounds like an olds thing and i can hear someone explaining to their folks that no, the iPad doesn't have 'the usb' and they can't use their old ps2 keyboard just use the bluetooth one that they bought at the apple store last time they were visitng

but the MacBook Air has two USB ports and a keyboard and can keep the screen up without a kickstand, and that's what they're comparing to

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

i prefer to think that they wrote the jingle and shot the ad completely independently of each other and that the jingle writers just assumed they'd be comparing to an ipad and the video director just assumed that it was a laptop

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

The Management posted:

but the MacBook Air has two USB ports and a keyboard and can keep the screen up without a kickstand, and that's what they're comparing to

because they have roughly price parity. holiday shoppers don't give a poo poo about the spec when one thing is dramatically cheaper, in this case the ipad

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
not in this case though, becuase microsoft is comparing the surface to a macbook

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

my mom and aunt did the BF sale poo poo and when they stopped at mcdonalds for coffee one of the girls working the register walked out from behind the counter to talk to them about the BOGO acer tablets for $100 some store had it was surreal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

is that guy pleading for his life?

• Locked thread