Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Pamela Springstein posted:

That's not leftism, that's liberalism. Being 'on the left' of american political discourse does not make someone a leftist.

Exactly this. Left of avg American politics is not leftist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Jaxyon posted:

I said that was lovely leftism. That's not a jab at the left.

I'm the left. I don't want that poo poo on my side.

Gotcha! Not how I parsed it which is why I was confused, seemed kind of incongruous

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Really don't care to litigate how any lovely opinions cannot truly be leftism or whatever, that seems like a worthless conversation in my opinion.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
There are definitely some very outspoken self-declared Marxists and Maoists out there on the internet who have some truly abhorrent opinions they're happy to share. I don't think being a leftists or not a leftist has a 1:1 relationship with owning deeply lovely opinions.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

LeeMajors posted:

Our government does throw some scraps at people—mothers, children, the disabled, the elderly.

The group most often neglected are poor men with mental health issues.

There is nothing in the way of help for impoverished but theoretically “able-bodied” men in this country—and specifically because our lovely mental health system is simultaneously inadequate and overrun.

Every stand of trees or overpass in my area shelters some. It’s loving depressing to encounter in the richest country in the world.

It's sad how normalized the dysfunction and apathy from government towards vulnerable citizens has become. A government that can't take care of its most needy citizens is a failure.

atriptothebeach
Oct 27, 2020

shirunei posted:

One of our local teachers in NE TN got axed in the lead up to that new TN law. He had spoken a couple times over the years at DSA meetings, so it sucks to see someone you know get their livelihood destroyed.

https://www.wjhl.com/news/local/sullivan-county-teacher-facing-termination-at-school-board-meeting-tuesday-supporters-to-gather/

It isn't listed anywhere but the independent investigator who upheld the termination is a lawyer who has represented various municipality's police departments around here in a bunch of litigation. Shocking decision on his part lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkz5UmXugzk

Kyla Jenée Lacey posted:

We learned your French. We learned your English, we learned your Spanish, we learned your Dutch, your Portuguese, your German. You learned our nothing, you called us stupid. That's white privilege.

And I'm sure it probably hurts for you to hear those two words kind of like gunshots and explosions from those commissioned to protect you whisking past your ears.

What is white privilege?

It is the only five decades of legal acknowledgment expected to correct 400 years of white transgression, it is crack versus cocaine, blacks receiving almost 20% longer sentences for the same exact offenses or like, for instance, a black man without a record is less likely to get a job than a white felon, or maybe it's because we're lazy and we don't work hard enough, like what the gently caress? 400 years in the same fields literally is an incredible resume builder. It is Katrina answering the government's prayers of eugenics, Dick Cheney going fishing the next day, Condoleezza on a shopping spree, Bush in San Diego; but Kanye is the one you call crazy cuz like it only took the USA two days to get aid to Asia but five for FEMA to get to Canal Street and Esplanade. It is the one black kid who beat the poo poo out of the odds but only thanks to Sandra Bullock, Michelle Pfeiffer and the white shadow. So now we all can make it. It is when the only time thousands of white people are cheering for a black kid to win is in a stadium.

It is you looking at me crazy if I told you to go back to Europe even though we didn't have a say. It is you, all of a sudden having a problem with immigration, like, this isn't even your nation. How the hell do you discover some poo poo that wasn't even missing to begin with? You've Columbus'ed our traditions, got white girls twerking in high definition with multi colored nails and purple hair but it was ghetto when we did it.

Oh am I making you uncomfortable?

Try a cramped slave ship but wait, slavery is over now, it's just called the prison system cuz like, you're not racist cuz you don't use the 'n' word, but y'all use niggas everyday.

What is white privilege?

It is the acceptance of bombs over Baghdad but not over Boston. It is European history being taught as a major and African as an elective. It is learning about my people only 28 days like I'm not black every loving second as every white boy who wanted to gently caress my brains out not because I'm pretty, but because I'm pretty for a black girl.

It is people thinking that Africa is one nation. It is the waving of the Confederate flag like you didn't lose the battle then telling us to get over slavery.

It is people saying that black people destroy neighborhoods but forgetting that white people have destroyed continents.

It is every time I bring up my plight some white man has to tell me that I'm crazy but is kind enough to praise my English or say that we are all given the same opportunities when he has a family history of wealth and I don't even know my family history at all.

It is the justification of police brutality like what did that person do? Well I'm sure it doesn't hurt as much when the victim doesn't look like you.

It is people thinking that affirmative action is an unfair advantage instead of keeping the qualified from being unfairly disadvantaged or throwing out a qualified applicant cuz their name sounded too African American.

It is Newports imported into black communities but black boys exported for weed. It is big plastic asses being called fat when we naturally have them. It is an Australian woman who’s the new classic of rap music.

It is everyone who hears this poem and dismisses all this truth I just spit as reverse racism.

That is white privilege.

Kyla Jenée Lacey posted:

I was a bit shocked that a group of people would go as far as to fire him for playing my poem. The work had been used as curriculum at different schools in different parts of the country, as well as different countries. Then I was a bit angered. I have a sensitivity towards my art. And one of the things that angered me the most was them saying that I wasn’t a credible source, and I’m not sure how I’m not a credible source to my own experience.

The poem went viral a few times, and in the very first wave of its virality, a lot of the white people who were upset continuously said, “Well, you need to learn your history. You need to learn your education.” I have a degree in history. That is literally what my degree is in.

It’s always a thing where white people are so quick to denounce the education of someone who’s Black when their lack of education is offended.

Where does it stop? Our entire country was built on the premise of racism. So how do you teach what manifest destiny is without teaching that white people decided that this all was theirs? Because, really, that’s what colonialism is. Colonialism is a white man saying, “This is mine,” and another white man agreeing, by force and by violence, but that’s what it is. So how do you teach that? If not the truth, what are you going to teach the kids?

I know that “inappropriate” language is not the real reason why they fired him. I have their required reading list. And in the books that they are required to read, there’s sexual assault, murder, a lot of cursing. So I know that it was just a terrible excuse for their discomfort. And this is coming from somebody who was 16 years old having to, who grew up in a mostly white neighborhood, in my latter childhood, reading Mark Twain and reading the word “n***er” over 200 times in a book.

That’s classic literature, but the fact that I say, “You’re not racist because you don’t use the N word, but y’all use niggas every day,” now it’s too much? Now, it’s superfluous? gently caress out of here.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

I said it was lovely leftism. It is. If the poster is not a leftist then that would explain why they are engaging in lovely leftism. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't.

Clearly these labels you're using are not doing a great job at saying what you're trying to say. There are plenty of more precise terms you can use instead of squabbling with everyone over which thing belongs to which vaguely defined 'ism.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
yeah, let's stop arguing about what's leftism and isn't leftism / who's leftist and isn't leftist in this context, please

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

GreyjoyBastard posted:

yeah, let's stop arguing about what's leftism and isn't leftism / who's leftist and isn't leftist in this context, please

Thanks I was having a hard time finding that Bertrand Russell quote.

Regarding literacy vs propaganda.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

GreyjoyBastard posted:

This is a political discussion forum and we can't discuss what major political leanings are? The concept is extremely important to US current events and politics in general.

vvvvvv

What do you mean "[you] just want pages of ____"? Did you forget to switch accounts or something? Like , that's what a mod says. "I'm stopping the conversation because I don't want pages of _____."

The Sean fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 30, 2021

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

The Sean posted:

This is a political discussion forum and we can't discuss what major political leanings are? The concept is extremely important to US current events and politics in general.

Yeah I agree it's dumb

I just don't want pages of "anyone who doesn't agree with me is a liberal"

especially when everyone agrees that post was lovely

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

The Sean posted:

vvvvvv

What do you mean "[you] just want pages of ____"? Did you forget to switch accounts or something? Like , that's what a mod says. "I'm stopping the conversation because I don't want pages of _____."

The current discussion of it was getting tedious and somewhat confrontational without actually adding any value.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
Neat, I had not read her response to things. The teacher has an appeal to the board of education on December 14, but the likelihood of that going well is low. With the education topic being a big driver in the VA gov race, if exit polls are anything to go by, it really seems like the southern states are headed for a bad place school wise. With VA proving it as a valid lever for the GOP they will surely use it in other battleground states.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Lis Smith is bad, but how bad?

https://twitter.com/AASchapiro/status/1465486056258555910?t=ZCv7LUVKyBwIlcWu4HXh1A&s=19

https://twitter.com/J__Velasquez/status/1465372348983480333?t=S2r0OWSdsAj7_b7BL1A3nQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/CaseySeiler/status/1465395059302580226?t=fk9_kOclZ3-Ckj9NBkOFTQ&s=19

Reallllllll bad

General_Disturbed
Apr 7, 2005

Ride the 8=====D

JonathonSpectre posted:

Imagine working for loving Amazon and being such a brain-dead moron you vote against having a union.

Just... how does someone that dumb get old enough to work, period? How did they make it across all the streets in their life? How have they not drowned in the loving shower? How is it possible to survive such unthinking mindlessness?

Oh it's in Alabama nm

From a page ago but I feel like this is such a lovely take that I had to comment on it.

The people working for amazon aren't idiots and you shouldn't treat them like they are. These people are fully aware that the second they unionize their job ceases to exist. You're quite literally asking them to give up a well paying job, to make a meaningless gesture. Amazon will fire every single last one of them and close that facility tomorrow, if it unionizes today. Large corporations like them have done it before in this country and faced absolutely 0 repercussions.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

yeah haven't there been multiple wal-marts who closed for 'plumbing issues' as soon as the workers in the store unionized and never reopened

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Republican mega-donor buys stake in Twitter and seeks to oust Jack Dorsey

poo poo if a GOP megadonor's buying stake is Trump getting his account back?

EDIT: Wait a second this article is 13 months old.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 30, 2021

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Grouchio posted:

Republican mega-donor buys stake in Twitter and seeks to oust Jack Dorsey

poo poo if a GOP megadonor's buying stake is Trump getting his account back?

If Jack was smart he has majority shares so this can't ever happen

Bear in mind this is @jack we are talking about, soooo

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

TulliusCicero posted:

If Jack was smart he has majority shares so this can't ever happen

Bear in mind this is @jack we are talking about, soooo

Jack was already ousted yesterday.

Twitter shares went up 11% on the news.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I have just been informed that:

Lazyfire posted:

It looks like Agrawal is actually less amenable to Jack's buddies. Apparently he's scary to the Twitter Conservatives partially because he thinks there needs to be more fact checking on the site.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Quick reminder that this is now a monthly thread and will close tonight for the December CE thread.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

yeah haven't there been multiple wal-marts who closed for 'plumbing issues' as soon as the workers in the store unionized and never reopened

And didn't they replace their butchers with pre-packaged cuts of meat after they tried to unionize?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

And didn't they replace their butchers with pre-packaged cuts of meat after they tried to unionize?

One store did, so 180 had the department cut.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

CommieGIR posted:

Quick reminder that this is now a monthly thread and will close tonight for the December CE thread.

Don't forget to decorate your Strawmen so Santa Mod won't probe you at midnight.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

the_steve posted:

Don't forget to decorate your Strawmen so Santa Mod won't probe you at midnight.

carefully crafting my the_steve effigy in trappings of stalin, preparing to throw it out and scream about your capricious and arbitrary use of punishment buttons when you hand out a meager 6er to one poster while another mod melts down hitting their posting enemies for days at a time

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Buttigieg needs to get on stage and disavow Lis Smith today if not sooner. We’ve needed a Sister Souljah moment for out of control white ladies for years and if he doesn’t take this opportunity he’ll never be president.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

selec posted:

Buttigieg needs to get on stage and disavow Lis Smith today if not sooner. We’ve needed a Sister Souljah moment for out of control white ladies for years and if he doesn’t take this opportunity he’ll never be president.
I have good news for you about at least half of this sentence.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

selec posted:

So what I'm getting out of this is that it would be for the best if he does not disavow her.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Lis Smith has been involved in a ton of losing campaigns, I highly doubt that this will disqualify her even if she gets fired

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

selec posted:

Why do people keep thinking this is a series of mistakes and bad eggs? These are the sort of people the Democrats want to be in charge and have power. They keep telling us who they are.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Majorian posted:

I don't entirely agree with the posts you quoted, but it's a pretty big stretch to claim that they are advocating the Dems adopting right-wing critiques of CRT. Saying that the Dems should say "CRT isn't being taught to kids; that's a college-level thing" isn't remotely the same thing as saying "The Dems should say CRT shouldn't be taught because it's anti-American and traumatizing to our kids."

e: ah, you edited.

They also cropped out most of my post to misrepresent my argument completely, typical behavior

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

Gumball Gumption posted:

Why do people keep thinking this is a series of mistakes and bad eggs? These are the sort of people the Democrats want to be in charge and have power. They keep telling us who they are.
Or you are just wallowing in confirmation bias.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Sarcastr0 posted:

Or you are just wallowing in confirmation bias.

Imagine someone using this response when it's pointed out that Republicans have a lot of high powered rapists and people who defend them.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Considering the president is a rapist it would be more shocking if the administration WEREN'T filled with protectors of powerful rapists.

It's kinda a job requirement in the first place, no?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

CommieGIR posted:

Kinda curious about what led to this thread being monthly.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

Considering the president is a rapist it would be more shocking if the administration WEREN'T filled with protectors of powerful rapists.

It's kinda a job requirement in the first place, no?

Yeah that was kinda the joke. You can do a Sister Souljah to a black woman then (and now, tbh) because they are assumed to be out of line by default in this society.

Try that on a white lady and you’ll get Squeaky Fromm’d by somebody with a Still With Her sticker on the Subaru

Lis Smith is just a temporarily embarrassed Democratic Insider right now. Nothing in those emails is shocking, only a little surprised at how casually stupid these people are about open records laws. loving sysadmins at state schools get their emails open record’d because some whiney kid didn’t get into the school he wanted. Yet these people all KNOW they have dedicated political enemies, ADMIT they’re being monstrous right there without any kind of minimal aesopian cover. And they don’t care because they know there are typically no repercussions for them.

Everyone who was in the TO: line of that email from Smith admitting she was being monstrous should have to sit through a Truth and Reconciliation hearing on how the gently caress they became such glassy eyed psychopaths.

selec fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 30, 2021

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Gumball Gumption posted:

Imagine someone using this response when it's pointed out that Republicans have a lot of high powered rapists and people who defend them.

Unfortunately that's kind of every political organization on the planet. Bad people are drawn to power, and bad people exist everywhere anyway.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Beastie posted:

Made it easier for people to keep up with the thread and keep discussion moving. The old US CE threads just got muddled up.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

How are u posted:

Unfortunately that's kind of every political organization on the planet. Bad people are drawn to power, and bad people exist everywhere anyway.

It’s about power, but power that is centralized and leashed to a hierarchy. Holocratic institutions have far fewer issues with abuse because there’s so much less individual power to leverage.

If you want to cover up abuse, create a hierarchy. It’s that simple. Any large organization with a hierarchy built in covers up abuse, it’s built into the fundamental principle of putting people in power over others. Think of any large institution with a cultural and organizational hierarchy; there’s abuse there. If you haven’t heard about it, it’s probably waiting to come out. I suspect the Mormon church is going to have a reckoning on the scale of the Catholic Church someday.

Flatten the org and you take away the incentives to cover up abuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Beastie posted:

It was a suggestion I and others made in the feedback thread.