Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

idiotsavant posted:

Forget it Jake. It’s Tumblrtown

it's too soon to call out my bit :argh:

AITA for using my coping strategy even though it inconveniences my Roomates?

quote:

I (22 M) and my 4 roomates (21-24 F) all share an apartment with 1 kitchen, 5 rooms and 2 bathrooms. We tend to get along but we argue over the bathrooms more than we’d like

They tend to take a long time to get ready in the mornings, and I tend to take a long time at night because of my coping mechanism.

Basically once or twice a week, I take a few edibles, turn off all the lights, and shower while on the floor in complete darkness, rolling around in soap. I call this my Olm time after the blind cave salamander. I basically roll around in all the soap and just pretend I’m a little cave dwelling salamander while high as poo poo, and then rinse off and crawl out of the shower and head to my room.

It’s like meditation. I go to a completely different state mentally. This is the only thing that has significantly helped me with stress, while allowing me to incorporate all of my self care duties into my routine. Becoming one with the Olm is my only option.

My roomates don’t know about Olm time but they have realized I take a while in the shower some nights, and they have tried to argue by saying that everyone needs to get ready for bed too. I’ve told them that they take a really long time in the mornings, and I often have to brush my teeth in the kitchen sink because the bathrooms are basically locked from around 6:30-8:45 every day because of how long they take.

Basically they’re all pretty frustrated with me and I’m pretty frustrated with them. That self care time is pretty much what keeps me going through really hard days, and they don’t seem to get that, even when they tell me how important their getting ready time is for them in the mornings. I don’t know if I’m being an rear end in a top hat or if I’m genuinely standing up for myself here. AITA?

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

I thought you were supposed to use gatorade?

Can someone post either a link to the original John the Baptist post or the resulting recordings? This reply makes me think maybe The Lone Badger hasn't seen or heard it, and it's too delightful to miss. I'm having trouble finding it on my phone.
Sorry if I'm assuming wrongly.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Qylvaran posted:

Can someone post either a link to the original John the Baptist post or the resulting recordings? This reply makes me think maybe The Lone Badger hasn't seen or heard it, and it's too delightful to miss. I'm having trouble finding it on my phone.
Sorry if I'm assuming wrongly.

Cloacamazing! posted:

Found it by remembering the iconic line Baptizing with water:

Song I am writing

quote:

Hi I 21(f) am getting into writing biblical songs. I am writing one about John the baptised. Here it is so

John the Baptist, a voice in the wilderness, John the Baptist, oh John the Baptist oooo yeahh Baptizing with water, repentance his call, John the Baptist, oh John the Baptist ooooo yeahhh Pointing to Jesus, the Savior of all.

Jesus the savoir of all John is his mate and all, But Jesus is the only one, Yeah Jesus is the only one who can saveeee Yeah ooo yeahhh Jesus is the only one who can save

If you have any feedback let me know as I want to perform this song at my wedding if it is ready in time. Thank you

ooo yeahhh

Fatty posted:

Thanks, remembering that helped me find the rendition.

https://whyp.it/tracks/137259/j-the-b?token=tUPee

Edit: Sorry, credit to Rat Patrol.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Because doing it a bit later after everyone else is done is OFF the table.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I feel like it would be relevant to know how long is OP tying up the bathroom doing this

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

mystes posted:

I feel like it would be relevant to know how long is OP tying up the bathroom doing this

The fact that they don't mention how long these showers are, that the other roommates have noticed and started complaining, and that they feel the need to defend this as necessary self-care kind of tells the whole story on its own.

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

I remember the OP had a bunch of bizarre posts, can't find them on reddit anymore tho. I think there was even another song

Lasca
May 8, 2007

mystes posted:

Found this in the last thread, olm time guy answered some questions

an OLMPDATE from :sparkles: tumblr :sparkles:

Oh geez that’s me.

For INFO, Olm time ranges from 30-45 ish minutes. I normally try to plan it for when they’re not home or already asleep but it’s not always possible. I don’t run the water the whole time (I normally turn it off for a while to chill in the soap for a bit) and we live in a big apartment complex so I’m not using all the hot water.

I agree we need to communicate better, especially because my roommates like to store their stuff in the bathroom when I like to store mine in my room so I can use either bathroom.

I try to check in with them before I shower but sometimes they work/ have class late so it’s not always possible.

I’m hoping I can convince them to store their stuff in their rooms like I do to make it less of an issue.

Thanks for the judgement

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

You'll get busted when they're looking for a loose button.

You’re confusing Cool Whip tubs with those butter cookie tins

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Lasca posted:

Found this in the last thread, olm time guy answered some questions

If there's two bathrooms and plenty of hot water, Olm Time is much less of a problem.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

DreamingofRoses posted:

At the risk of setting off the thread again:

Update: AITAH for wanting to leave my wife because she had a “go bag”?

Here's a woman who probably needs a go bag.

AITAH for saying I would divorce my wife in 4 years? posted:

Me (43M) and my wife (45F) were having some drinks outside the other day and we were having a good time. She said "I wish I brought my cigarettes" and I pulled them out of my pocket, as I had anticipated that she would want to smoke. She said "wow, how did you know?" I said "I can see the future, especially when you're drinking" she said, "can you see our relationships future?" I said "of course" so she asked me "will we still be together or will we be divorced?" I said "probably divorced" and she asked "when?" So I said "I'll probably be tired of Peter's poo poo in about 4 years and have to bounce"

Peter is my wife's son from a previous marriage. He is 24 years old. Me and my wife have been together for 21 years. I have raised this boy as my own and he has called me "dad" since he was 5. We have a great relationship. Never had the "you're not my real dad!" fight. We are good. However I feel like my wife coddles him and he is "failing to launch" so to speak. He is in Uni, but has never had a job. His social circle is like 5 people that he is constantly online with. He very rarely leaves the house, or his room for that matter. My wife has to remind him to shower everyday. And she has to wake him up everyday. He will not wake up to an alarm. Mainly because he is usually up until 6 or 7 am playing online games. He is not a bad kid. He doesn't drink/smoke/do drugs. He is not an incel. He doesn't listen to Andrew Tate. He's just kind of a nerdy shut it. My wife is happy to have him live at home forever. I am not. I am very worried for him. He can not drive and does not want to learn. He is comfortable in his life and sees no reason to grow. I stress the fact that he is an adult now to my wife many times but he will always be her baby. Honestly It's killing me to watch her enable him. Every time I try to encourage him to get a part time job or get out of the house she tells me off and asks me to leave him alone. I feel like a failure as a parent, but ahe is happy is is staying out of trouble. He could do so much more though. He is very bright. I will say to her, "what if we died tomorrow? What would happen to him, he would have to do a lot of growing up very quickly, maybe we should push him a little bit now" but she won't hear it.

Anyway. She lost her poo poo on me. "How could you divorce me because of Peter? He will be fine, everyone develops at different speeds, etc." I get it. I know. I think she also feels like we failed him by over providing and she doesn't want to hear it, but guys? I can't sit around forever if this is the trajectory. I pray he snaps out of it, finishes uni (hes now a junior at year 4, he doesn't take a full courseload, yes we are paying everything) gets a job and grows up. But if not? I can't see myself supporting him and her forever. I feel like leaving might actually be good for the both of them? (I contribute 80% to the household finances, she works part time).

Anyway I don't really think it will come to that. I have faith in the kid. I was just 50/50 joking and serious with my 4 year timeline. (4 years is a long time right? The fact that she was upset is upsetting to me. Does she think he'll be doing the exact same stuff 4 years from now?) She thinks I'm an rear end in a top hat because I'm giving an ultimatum and she doesn't care how long he stays at home.

So. Am I the rear end in a top hat here?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mllaneza posted:

If there's two bathrooms and plenty of hot water, Olm Time is much less of a problem.

Two full bathrooms or 1.5? If he’s tying up the only shower then being able to pee/poo helps but doesn’t really solve the problem

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

haveblue posted:

Two full bathrooms or 1.5? If he’s tying up the only shower then being able to pee/poo helps but doesn’t really solve the problem

It doesn't matter imo. He's using one bathroom for 30-45 minutes once or twice a week. Meanwhile he, generally, has zero access to either bathroom for over two hours every morning.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

It doesn't matter imo. He's using one bathroom for 30-45 minutes once or twice a week. Meanwhile he, generally, has zero access to either bathroom for over two hours every morning.
Two hours means that everyone else is using it for 30 minutes per person in the morning on average. I assume that OP is also showering when not having olm time. They're probably all tying up the bathroom for too long at a time considering they have 5 people and 2 bathrooms.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

mystes posted:

Two hours means that everyone else is using it for 30 minutes per person in the morning on average. I assume that OP is also showering when not having olm time. They're probably all tying up the bathroom for too long at a time considering they have 5 people and 2 bathrooms.

Your math is off, friend.

quote:

4 roomates

quote:

2 bathrooms

quote:

the bathrooms are basically locked from around 6:30-8:45 every day

If this is the case, each roommate is essentially using the bathroom exclusively for over an hour every morning. I think him using a bathroom for 30-45 minutes once to twice a week is more than fair.

Obviously all of these posts are written from a place of bias, but it reads very much like all the ladies of the house feel that they should always have priority access to both bathrooms and he doesn't matter.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

My initial hot take's bad based on the 30-45 minute thing and there being two bathrooms. Asking for 90 minutes a week of Olm time doesn't sound that insane when he's making concessions in other ways. These women should be grateful he isn't also a woman or it'd throw their whole morning thing into chaos. This post ran into my unreliable narrator filter just because of the lack of helpful details and claiming this is something that has to be done to preserve your sanity.

house of the dad fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 12, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hmm yeah I guess it's not unreasonable then.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for revealing at a Dinner I am the one who makes more money?

quote:

A little context for this post I (33F) have been dating my Partner (34M) casually for 3 years and 8 months. Over the last 8 months we have gotten more serious. He works in IT and as I "Only" work behind a bar in a strip club he seemed to always assume I make much less than him, he'd always say that he never wanted us to discuss money as he didn't want me to feel embarrassed so I never brought it up as I didn't care even if I found it a bit funny despite the fact I own both my car and home while he is renting and paying off his car.

I like him though so I brushed it aside figuring if we ever moved in together then we could talk about our finances and be open about it. Despite him thinking I only work behind the bar, I am actually a Mixologist at a high end Strip Club, so on top of a very generous salary I actually make amazing tips most nights too, i've worked at the same place for 9 years and I love it there.

As things are getting more serious he wanted me to meet his parents and I agreed, yesterday we had dinner with his parents and they clearly didn't approve of me and during the dinner his Mother brought up that she didn't think this was a good idea but if he was insisting on doing this when we got married we'd need to have a prenuptial agreement to protect her son. I was silent waiting for my partner to say anything but he didn't. He just continued to eat and I got annoyed before agreeing with her. I told her I fully agreed that we needed a Prenup as i'd need to protect my assets, this led to some laughs from around the table and I finally asked my boyfriend how much he made, he tried to brush it off before finally revealing he made £25,000 a year and telling me it was fine and not to feel less.

I won't lie I burst into laughter right there at the table not caring that I was being rude and bluntly told him not including my tips I make £43,291 a year they didn't believe me so I began to point out how I go on holiday twice a year, how I own my home and car while he rents and is paying off, how I always bought him nice gifts. I then told him for perhaps the hundredth time that i'm a Mixologist not a Bartender.

The dinner got silent and on the drive to my home he berated me the entire time for embarrassing him, and how could I have not told him I made that much money, that I should have told him from the start. I reminded him that he didn't want us to talk about money and I figured when and if we one day moved in together that we'd talk about our finances then. He kept talking about how I should have just privately told him after the dinner then and not embarrassed him in front of his parents but when I asked him then why he didn't defend me when his mother embarrassed me he had no answer.

I don't know i'm just super annoyed right now and feel done with this, was I wrong to reveal it the way I did?

We need a prenup for my 25k pounds salary!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
An inflatable hot tub in the living room with a bodged together showerhead should suffice for Olm time without bothering the other roommates.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Converting to Freedom Bucks... a prenup for the equivalent of $18/hr is loving funny. Meanwhile, OP there is making 54k annually.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

blackmet posted:

Here's a woman who probably needs a go bag.

The kid's depressed. Get him to a counsellor.

mystes
May 31, 2006

DoubleNegative posted:

Converting to Freedom Bucks... a prenup for the equivalent of $18/hr is loving funny. Meanwhile, OP there is making 54k annually.
OP's number was before tips so she's probably making substantially more

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

The kid's depressed. Get him to a counsellor.

Kid need a get up and go get a job bag.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Hughlander posted:

AITA for revealing at a Dinner I am the one who makes more money?

We need a prenup for my 25k pounds salary!

Should have spoilered the salaries. :colbert:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

How are these absolute goobers even meeting these way cooler and better than them women?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Is a 25k pound salary...a lot? That seems like near poverty line wages

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Kenshin posted:

It's about 30k USD but I dunno how much they deduct for taxes and I doubt 10k is getting deducted for health care. I also have no clue regarding housing costs across the Atlantic. Poverty line in the US is about 13k, so it's not great but not terrible?

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

From what I understand housing costs in the UK are loving insane, even more so than in the US

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Kenshin posted:

I found a UK statistics website via Google that says 25k pounds puts you at around the 20th percentile of salaries, while 44k puts her around the 70th percentile even without accounting for the extra tips.

No idea if that technically counts as poverty under UK definitions.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

MagusofStars posted:

I found a UK statistics website via Google that says 25k pounds puts you at around the 20th percentile of salaries, while 44k puts her around the 70th percentile even without accounting for the extra tips.

No idea if that technically counts as poverty under UK definitions.

20th percentile is really, really low, so if not poverty, not far above. Yikes. That dude was super overcompensating.

I'm guessing "IT" is overstating what he actually does

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
That or he's a dipshit heinously undervaluing his labor because 'it shows incentive and it'll make me ripe for a promotion' or some poo poo.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Figures I'm finding for the UK say he's below the median for household income. He beats the median individual income.

But context matters. I'd assume his income doesn't let you live anywhere that isn't rat-infested in the heart of London, but is probably a comfortable amount if he's somewhere more rural.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Kenshin posted:

Could be anything from data entry to helpdesk. The range of reasonable wages in Europe has always seemed weirdly compressed compared with what I'm used to hearing in the States.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Safety Dance posted:

Could be anything from data entry to helpdesk. The range of reasonable wages in Europe has always seemed weirdly compressed compared with what I'm used to hearing in the States.

Generally the deal is having actual infrastructure, healthcare and such tends to balance it out compared to America.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
AITA for not wanting to continue my husband’s dead wife’s naming aesthetic?

quote:

Hi all. Please tell me if I am TA or not.

I (35f) am 30 weeks pregnant. My husband Emmett (39m) was a widower when I met him and he had two kids with his wife, they are Emrys (10m) and Emersyn (8f). His late wife was named Ember and she loved the Em aesthetic so that all their names would start with Em.

Emmett and I have began discussing names, none of the names on my list start with Em. My SIL Mallory was visiting today and she said that my daughter may grow up feeling singled out and not connected to her siblings if they don’t share the Em aesthetic. I told her that Emmet and I are going to make a list of 5 names we love and we’ll let Emrys and Emersyn choose the name together. In all honestly, I am a bit uncomfortable continuing his late wife’s obsession with the aesthetic so I think my idea is lovely way for the kids to have a name connections without choosing one with Em.

Mallory told Emmett that we should name our daughter Emily, which is a name he adores. She kept pushing for me to approve until she hit a nerve and I told her that I am giving birth to MY baby, not Embers, and I want to choose a name that I love and not an aesthetic that she loved.

Emmett got quiet, put his head down, and left the room. Mallory told me that I shouldn’t have said that and that I’m a major AH for saying what I said. I told her that she should have ended the conversation the first time I tried to shut it down.

I talked to Emmett and he told me to forget it and to choose whatever name I like. He hasn’t shown any interest in continuing our discussions about names.

Reddit, AITA here?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Skipping most of the content for thread rule reasons but...

Devin! my ex who cheated on me with my mom and received gonorrhea from her.

quote:

As my ex is pissed by the fact that I keep telling people that my mom gave him gonorrhea and he wants me to stop. So, I'm going to tell a story about how my ex Devin contracted gonorrhea.

Devin! my ex who cheated on me with my mom and received gonorrhea from her. Update: even though it has almost been 8 years, Devin has not changed. -

quote:

This is the text message I received from him. I just don't know where to post them so I'm going to copy from Discord to here. .

"Addison, I understand what I did to you was painful but it was almost eight years ago. Your little Reddit post went way too far and now it's everywhere on YouTube."

"Does it feel good knowing that you humiliated me?"

"I'm asking you. I'm begging you, Addison, please remove the post before my work sees it."

Never once you apologize to me, Devin. This is the first time you acknowledge what you did to me. I don't give a gently caress that it almost been 8 years I don't care because never once you said I'm sorry to me.

Don't go chasing down the original unless you want bummers just keep with mocking Devin.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Devin! sounds like an rear end in a top hat

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Eat poo poo, Devin!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Kenshin posted:

Tech workers in the UK are underpaid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Quackles posted:

Tech workers in the UK are underpaid.

Yeah, that's somewhat less than I get for a full time 2/3 level help desk job.

I own my house and don't bother with a car though so I'm way better off than that twit.

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 12, 2024