Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

For the most past, aside from the episodes you mentioned, I actually don't think S1 is bad at all. Uneven, yes. But like Next Generation's first season, there are some hidden gems: Babel (which, of course, is relevant today), Dramatis Personae, Duet.

Don't forget "Captive Pursuit" and "Progress". I agree Season 1 is solid all around. That's my point - people want it to be worse than it is.

I've never understood the sheer hatred for "Move Along Home" either. It's not great but it's solid and very Star Trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Seemlar posted:

It legitimately has a reputation for being among Trek's worst
I can attest that having watched The Alternative Factor recently, it's awful and also pretty incomprehensible

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Seemlar posted:

Imagine being a showrunner whose grand finale to an entire series/franchise is so bad it routinely tops "worst of all time" lists.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

"Move Along Home" has that great Quark meltdown. How can that be worse than something like "The Muse," which has... uh

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Let He Who Is Without Sin and the Quark in drag episode are far worse. Mostly, though, I agree with that list.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Let He Who Is Without Sin is perfectly competently put together, it’s just stupid and a character assassination AND irrelevant to anything because nobody ever speaks of it again. Profit and Lace is even worse, but mostly because it’s catastrophically unfunny and in terrible taste, again. It’s not technically badly made.

I think episodes like Alternative Factor and Children Shall Lead belong in an entirely different category of poo poo from the bad episodes of 90s Trek. They’re just “well, hire a guest actor, shoot something and we’ll air it”. It was a different era and a different standard of professionalism in production.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

"And the Children Shall Lead" gets a pass though because the actor that plays Tommy later on became an inventor and composer and made THIS...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj4f5z6nRhs

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Shades of Gray was a loving clip show. It doesn't get worse than a clip show.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Didn't The Alternative Factor fall apart as they lost the original actor they hired to play Lazarus and had to replace him at short notice?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

bull3964 posted:

"And the Children Shall Lead" gets a pass though because the actor that plays Tommy later on became an inventor and composer and made THIS...

That's pretty great. I also see that the main villain in that episode was played by legendary trial lawyer Melvin Belli which is a weird bit of trivia as well.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Zaroff posted:

Didn't The Alternative Factor fall apart as they lost the original actor they hired to play Lazarus and had to replace him at short notice?

Sounds right. I think I read that the original actor actually didn't work for several years because he didn't show up when he was scheduled to shoot.

Even for TOS the plot for that one is an incomprehensible mess. I think I kinda get what they were trying to do, but the "good Lazarus" and "bad Lazarus" stuff was poorly written and executed.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

bull3964 posted:

That’s fantastic. I always figured that was just a synthesizer. It’s a really iconic sound to me. I can hear it completely absent of context and immediately think, “V’ger!”

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Zaroff posted:

Yes. It was Drew Barrymore’s dad; he allegedly was too wasted to make it to the gig. They replaced him only after a day of shooting around his absence.

They also cut out a subplot where the black lieutenant falls for Lazarus and replaced it with nothing

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Seemlar posted:

Fan polls don't mean poo poo anyway. If fans could have their way, Star Trek would just be "The Borg Show" and it'd be about fighting the borg every week.

Edit: If you're wondering why the borg plot line meant absolutely loving nothing to the main plot of PIC, remember that the most popular episodes of TNG is the BoBW on netflix, and the most popular voyager episodes are all of the borg ones. It's borg all the way down, most people's favorite TNG film is First Contact. Borg borg borg, you'd think people'd be tired of them since they haven't had a win since the battle of Wolf 359.

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 19, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The fact that V'ger's other worldly noise comes from an instrument that looks so alien is absolutely perfect.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Last time I watched Cause and Effect, I kinda hated it. Like, an hour of drama and the result was that retroactively nothing happened? Just because Data is magic basically? It used to be a favorite until I overthought it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

Last time I watched Cause and Effect, I kinda hated it. Like, an hour of drama and the result was that retroactively nothing happened? Just because Data is magic basically? It used to be a favorite until I overthought it.

The end result of the episode makes it pretty clear though that those previous loops did actually happen.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/gfrobot/status/1273722605384560641?s=21

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Nah.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

I have a strong feeling that this isn't going to be a venture bros/Harley Quinn situation, as in a clever animated series.

With Harley Quinn, it's been dumped into its own canon and given the right to do basically whatever the gently caress they want. They've killed out major villains, openly mocked many aspects of the DC universe (but in a loving way) and I think Lower Decks would be amazing as that, as it has its own silly tropes to mock (hat planet, badmiral, etc) but I think it'll be a pretty standard workplace comedy and since it's "official canon forever" that basically means it needs to respect the events of picard so they can't step out of the way.

Canon, especially the star trek canon, is the #1 thing ruining star trek

Edit: "Those Phasers look good!" seems to be a joke, since he's in the thread on twitter mocking the show..

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Alternative Factor is so all-around poorly done it's almost literally unwatchable. Like it's amazing it even aired.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Is Alternative Factor the one with like 15 minutes of a dude wrestling with himself while glowing and weird music plays?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Canon, especially the star trek canon, is the #1 thing ruining star trek

Doesn't really track when we've spent the past 11 years rewriting canon (arguably the last 20 years) and it hasn't really helped at all. Canon (adherence or abandonment) is an excuse for bad storytelling.

It's time we all admit to ourselves that CBS really doesn't know what to do with the franchise other than throwing everything they can at the wall.

Here's the thing, until we have a story where it's impossible to tell if canon was followed or not, we won't have anything new and interesting.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Is Alternative Factor the one with like 15 minutes of a dude wrestling with himself while glowing and weird music plays?
It sure is

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Canon is brands. Brands are people. Star Trek is alive and it wants to die

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Here's a red-hot take: I always thought the Inner Light was a beautiful idea for an episode and Stewart is great in it, but it's brought down by all the Kataanian side characters having wooden dialogue and acting.

I love this episode and it makes me feel all sorts of feelings and I think it justly deserves its reputation as a kind of capstone episode of Trek, but holy gently caress youre right. There really is a pretty sharp dissonance between arch, British, shakespearean thesp Stewart, the high concept story and then the day-time TV soap opera level dialogue and acting. Though I vaguely remember the actor that played his daughter being pretty affecting.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

bull3964 posted:

Doesn't really track when we've spent the past 11 years rewriting canon (arguably the last 20 years) and it hasn't really helped at all. Canon (adherence or abandonment) is an excuse for bad storytelling.

It's time we all admit to ourselves that CBS really doesn't know what to do with the franchise other than throwing everything they can at the wall.

Here's the thing, until we have a story where it's impossible to tell if canon was followed or not, we won't have anything new and interesting.

A huge amount of complaints regarding star trek these days is that its not the correct canon, nerds are endlessly whining about it not being "real" trek. Tons of criticism around disco is due to the fact that it's a prime timeline show that looks nothing like any previous prime timeline show. And the spore drive. Spore drive is a great, fun concept and "what if, in star trek, we had this cool drive" is better without having to have stupid "also keep this secret for no reason" scenes.

CBS is all money-men, and they saw that in terms of money-make, the JJ films are the most money-make.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Sounds right. I think I read that the original actor actually didn't work for several years because he didn't show up when he was scheduled to shoot.

Even for TOS the plot for that one is an incomprehensible mess. I think I kinda get what they were trying to do, but the "good Lazarus" and "bad Lazarus" stuff was poorly written and executed.

The Trek producers were livid and filed a grievance with the Screen Actors' Guild. I think the official punishment was he was barred from SAG work for like six months, but hell maybe he wound up not working for years after that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Complaints from loud people aren't the same thing as the actual problems with the most recent installments. Jettisoning canon completely would solve nothing. Those people would just be louder and none of the core issues would be addressed. Discovery isn't middling filler because nerds are complaining about the spore drive.

Stop blaming canon for bad writing. The fact that the Discovery has holographic displays has no influence on stilted character development, uneven tone, and the lack of anything actually meaningful to say.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The Trek producers were livid and filed a grievance with the Screen Actors' Guild. I think the official punishment was he was barred from SAG work for like six months, but hell maybe he wound up not working for years after that.

Off and on work, but that had more to do with his drug and alcohol problems than being blackballed.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
I always thought "Cause and Effect" was one of the most boring and contrived episodes, capped off by an utterly bizarre cameo.

Edit. Maybe I'm getting sentimental in my old age, but "Move Along Home" is a great Quark episode where he hopefully learned something.

Insane Totoro fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jun 19, 2020

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Star Trek Voyager, season 2, episode 14 "Alliances"
Time index: 37ish minutes into the episode.

Where the gently caress is the clapping and fanfare coming from?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Off and on work, but that had more to do with his drug and alcohol problems than being blackballed.

I know a few film industry people and from what I've been told there's not really any official blackballing unless you specifically piss off a producer, but there's a lot of "Oh, is X worth hiring?" which happens a lot. Like any other business, if it gets around all over town you're a horrid and lovely worker, then you won't find work.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

8one6 posted:

Star Trek Voyager, season 2, episode 14 "Alliances"
Time index: 37ish minutes into the episode.

Where the gently caress is the clapping and fanfare coming from?

Star Trek Voyager is filmed in front of a live studio audience!

(Actual explanation - nobody knows; it's only present in certain streaming versions of the episode, and wasn't there in the original airing.)

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I believe there was a piece of music that they couldn't license for streaming and so they just replaced it with...that?

8one6
May 20, 2012

Watching Threshold now (because I'd be a hypocrite for suggesting it to everyone who asks for a watch list and then skipping it during the rewatch) and why it is so goddamn easy to steal shuttles from Federation Starships?

EDIT: "... In 2018, an anonymous contributor name "BioTrekkie" submitted a fake science paper entitled "Rapid Genetic and Developmental Morphological Change Following Extreme Celerity" describing Paris' experiment in other words, to several "predatory" science journals. Four accepted it and one published it. ... "

8one6 fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 19, 2020

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

8one6 posted:

Watching Threshold now (because I'd be a hypocrite for suggesting it to everyone who asks for a watch list and then skipping it during the rewatch) and why it is so goddamn easy to steal shuttles from Federation Starships?

The Federation is SUPER trusting and probably believes that "unauthorized launch" alerts are enough to deter people from taking shuttlecraft without permission, as opposed to, I dunno, senior staff being the only ones with launch codes, or the shuttlebay doors being operable only by a certain list of personnel.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

curiousTerminal posted:

The Federation is SUPER trusting and probably believes that "unauthorized launch" alerts are enough to deter people from taking shuttlecraft without permission, as opposed to, I dunno, senior staff being the only ones with launch codes, or the shuttlebay doors being operable only by a certain list of personnel.

Regarding them being super trusting, see things like the Maquis integration where everyone just immediately gets the keys they would need to blow up the ship.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Senor Tron posted:

Regarding them being super trusting, see things like the Maquis integration where everyone just immediately gets the keys they would need to blow up the ship.
You don't even need the keys. It seems that just about anyone can bypass all computer security and lock out everyone else within about ten seconds of reaching an access point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

Pablo Bluth posted:

You don't even need the keys. It seems that just about anyone can bypass all computer security and lock out everyone else within about ten seconds of reaching an access point.

"Computer, open the door."
"Authorization Required"
"Ummm... Engineering override?"
"[beebeeboop] Sure, checks out. Opening door."