Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

DJ Dizzy posted:

Ferrus is cool. Shame he's abit short these days.

He's only about a head shorter than most Primarchs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
And a hammer poorer :smug:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

krursk posted:

..that stupid it's not normal terminator armour derpy bullshit.

What is ths? :staredog:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Ghazk posted:

Joined the killed-a-mastadon club tonight. Laser vindicators never let me down.

I love these, that charging contemptor pose looks great.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

TTerrible posted:

What is ths? :staredog:

Imperial fists storm shield upgrades. +10 points for cataphractii and +15 for "Standard" terminator armor. Douche-hams on the internet think that means Tartaros can't receive any legion specific upgrades. It's really stupid but unfortunately I have a small pool of people to play with, all but 2 being WAAC.

I had a 1850pt game scheduled two weeks ago which was supposed to be "fluffy". I bought my Stone Gauntlet list packed with Breachers, Terminators and Warders. To my surprise my opponent brings a Knights rape-list and then decides he wont play if I include my single squad of storm shield tartaros terminators. The player in question has now convinced the rest of the local rabble that it's not a legal option, overpowered etc. This was the same guy who came to a local tournament with an imperial guard list and argued that a Platoon could only give 1 Victory point and only if every unit within the platoon was totally destroyed. Fortunately I ended up having a game with another lads tau which was fun.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Are LD vindicators any good?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Lord Twisted posted:

Are LD vindicators any good?

Very.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

SRM posted:

He's only about a head shorter than most Primarchs.

I subscribe to a bailout theory that he made a backup copy of his brain and returns someday as an Levi Dread which would be on par with what IH seem to aspire to.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

He'll never be the head of a major corporation.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah, you glue one end, wait for it to dry, then dip in hot water and glue the other end.
:wtc:

I'm a fan of the Zinge method, cast them in flexible stuff with steel wires inside that you can bend into shape.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

krursk posted:

To my surprise my opponent brings a Knights rape-list and then decides he wont play if I include my single squad of storm shield tartaros terminators. The player in question has now convinced the rest of the local rabble that it's not a legal option, overpowered etc.

Holy poo poo lock this guy in the store and burn it all to the ground.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Is tartaros storm shield allowed tho? Kind of seems like an oversight as it makes cataphractii storm shield a flat downgrade as there is no benefit to taking it over tartaros?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
when the storm shield rules were written iirc, there was no 'standard' terminator armor, or rather, the 'standard' terminator armor was tartaros.

Lord Twisted posted:

Is tartaros storm shield allowed tho? Kind of seems like an oversight as it makes cataphractii storm shield a flat downgrade as there is no benefit to taking it over tartaros?

they're cheaper.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 26, 2017

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

krursk posted:

I had a 1850pt game scheduled two weeks ago which was supposed to be "fluffy". I bought my Stone Gauntlet list packed with Breachers, Terminators and Warders. To my surprise my opponent brings a Knights rape-list and then decides he wont play if I include my single squad of storm shield tartaros terminators. The player in question has now convinced the rest of the local rabble that it's not a legal option, overpowered etc. This was the same guy who came to a local tournament with an imperial guard list and argued that a Platoon could only give 1 Victory point and only if every unit within the platoon was totally destroyed. Fortunately I ended up having a game with another lads tau which was fun.

Welcome to my world.

NO YOU CANNOT BRING PREDATORS. THEY COUNTER MY 4 UNITS OF KAKOPHONI.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Lord Twisted posted:

Even if it technically wasn't allowed (which it almost certainly is allowed, because as mentioned upthread Tartaros didn't have special rules when the list first came out) it's a total bullshit reason not to play someone with your fuckin knight army.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Everyone who plays Warhammer is an obnoxious piece of garbage, hth

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
:same:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Hoooly poo poo. I hope some of those assholes start playing custodes and 1ksons because the number of misnamed weapons, typos etc is huge and you could argue their army into irrelevance.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
I did a thing, been awhile since I put paint to mini, felt good. Bit sloppy, but hey it's painted.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
Awuuuuuuu.

(The most unloved bits.)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
On Friday I had a game against a local Word Bearers player, and I brought my Ultras. It was a 2000 point game, with Hammer and Anvil deployment, and the mission was the one with 5 objectives that each accrue a point every turn you're on them. Secondary objectives were slay the warlord and attrition. Lists were something like this:
Ultramarines:
- Chaplain, Artificer armor, power axe, refractor field
- Tactical Marines x20, vexilia, sergeant with artificer armor and power sword
- Tactical Marines x20, vexilia, sergeant with artificer armor, plasma pistol, and power fist
- Apothecary x2
- Invictus Suzerains x5, Thunderhammer
- Land Raider Proteus, heavy bolters, extra armor, ceramite plate
- Contemptor Dreadnought Talon, one with Kheres and fist, one with Kheres, fist and plasma blaster
- Sicaran, lascannons
- Deredeo with autocannons and delicious aioli missiles

Word Bearers:
- Erebus
- Zardu Layak and two Blade Slaves
- Veteran squad with plasma gun x2, sergeant with artificer armor and power weapon, marksmen
- Veteran squad with plasma gun x2, sergeant with artificer armor and power weapon, marksmen
- Veteran squad with meltas and combi meltas, tank hunters
- Sicaran with lascannons and ceramite
- Gal Vorbak x5, power fist on Dark Martyr
- Gal Vorbak x5, power fist on Dark Martyr
- Mhara Gal Tainted Dreadnought

The battlefield - objectives on the hill, in the wrecked rhino, the ammo bunker, the manufactorum, and the temple. Word Bearers had the first turn, and both units of Gal Vorbak were in Deep Strike reserve:

The defenders of the Imperium!

The filthy heretics!

Erebus leads a veteran squad

Zardu and his Blade Slaves

The Sicaran covers the veterans' slow advance:

Turn 1 sees a few Tactical Marines die to the tainted Dreadnought's spooky plasma cannon.
The Ultramarines move on to the objective:

Shooting kills Zardu and one Blade Slave, and puts the hurt on the possessed Dreadnought! Killing Zardu nets the Ultramarines Slay the Warlord for 3 victory points.

Holding the line:

With Zardu dead, the Blade Slave must hunt! He goes after his own allies, butchering two veterans.

Turn 2:
The Word Bearers advance, taking a few chunks out of the forward tactical squad

Things are about to look real bad for these vets!

The two survivors break, outrunning their possessed beother

His Sicaran knocks a hull point off my Sicaran:

The combined fire of the Ultramarines armor wrecks the possessed Contemptor

Erebus and his boys try and sneak around

But are targeted by the Ultramarines!

While Tim's Gal Vorbak start arriving, they show up too late and too far away to protect either the possessed Dreadnought or the Sicaran, which are both wrecked.

The steadfast Ultramarines line:

On his turn 3, the backfield vets make a conga line to continue scoring points as they advance

The second and final unit of Gal Vorbak arrive on turn 3, coming very close to my Sicaran

Erebus leaves the veterans and joins up with the first squad of Gal Vorbak. He goes on to cast Iron Arm and gets a Perils result, knocking off a wound and causing him to lose a power - he loses Smite, which he's used to kill a Marine or two.

The Word Bearers use what cover they can in their advance:

The Suzerains, led by their Chaplain, disembark to hold the line!

The Tactical Marines unleash the Fury of the Legion and unload into the Gal Vorbak!

Roughly 1000 points of shooting later, and the Gal Vorbak are no more!

On turn 4, the surviving squad of Gal Vorbak advance but are bogged down in the terrain, and are promptly shot again. This time, the Dark Martyr and Erebus are all who remain. The Word Bearers Veterans attempt to charge the Tactical Marines but fail the charge, and are killed by that squad's Fury of the Legion attack.

This Contemptor cleans up the surviving veteran, as they regrouped after fleeing and killing the Blade Slave with shooting

On turn 5, Erebus and his Dark Martyr charge into the Suzerains! The two chaplains face off.

Yet the Ultras completely whiff it! We call the game here. Victory for the sons of Guilliman!

Final score, we called it before tallying up Attrition or turn 5 objectives for the Ultras.

It was a real enjoyable game with a great opponent. He was happy to roll with the punches when things went wrong, and was definitely going for the narrative kind of force I was trying to show with my own army. Those Gal Vorbak are nasty though! I might need a Vindicator to deal with those big lugs next time, but his army coming in piecemeal really hurt him. Attacking a prepared position is one thing, but when you're coming in one at a time it's even tougher. I was fortunately able to deny his psychic powers almost every time, which would have made his Gal Vorbak even nastier, and had them come in on target as well. Definitely looking forward to the rematch on this one though.

SRM fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 27, 2017

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Grudge match, nice. Those Word Bearers got absolutely destroyed though - I think pods or rhinos for the vets should have been in the list.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord

ijyt posted:

Grudge match, nice. Those Word Bearers got absolutely destroyed though - I think pods or rhinos for the vets should have been in the list.

That and placing the actual terrain between those gorgeous armies ! No mans land killzones make for weird games for such nicely painted mans

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Tbf running stuff like footslogging Zardu is pretty bad, even by thematic standards...

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Sicaran? More like Sickaran. Post more.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

ijyt posted:

Yeah, he was only using what he had painted so he didn't have them in rides. I figured they'd be outflanking or something, but to my surprise they started on the board.

Killer_Bees! posted:

That and placing the actual terrain between those gorgeous armies ! No mans land killzones make for weird games for such nicely painted mans

That was kind of on the mission - we'd set up the terrain and were pretty happy with it, but rolled up Hammer and Anvil. It seems like he was used to playing with less terrain so I made sure there was at least an acceptable amount, but yeah we should have put some more craters in some of the no man's land areas.

Lord Twisted posted:

Tbf running stuff like footslogging Zardu is pretty bad, even by thematic standards...

Yeah, and him pretty exposed was a questionable move on his part. The Blade Slave chasing down and eating his own dudes was hilarious though.

panascope posted:

Sicaran? More like Sickaran. Post more.

It's in the running for my favorite model in the army, I gush about it in an upcoming Camhammer video.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Gosh you get that blue so pretty.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Mr.Booger posted:

I did a thing, been awhile since I put paint to mini, felt good. Bit sloppy, but hey it's painted.

This is some good poo poo right here.

Nice battle report SRM- it's always fun to see classic 30k grudge matches. It's one of the reasons I'm happy there's a Night Lords player in one of my groups.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Oh yeah forgot to comment on that master of signals conversion, I had to check the FW site because it looked so legit and I didn't remember that model being particularly interesting.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

That thing is really great SRM, looks awesome.

Also it's insane how much better that variant looks than the venator

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

SRM posted:

I used the Catachan head to practice the 'Eavy Metal face painting guide before I used it on the real thing:

I feel betrayed.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BuffaloChicken posted:

I feel betrayed.
That head is pre-Calth, the Catachan head is for post-Calth when he's really angry.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SRM posted:

- Chaplain, Artificer armor, power axe, refractor field
- Tactical Marines x20, vexilia, sergeant with artificer armor and power sword
- Tactical Marines x20, vexilia, sergeant with artificer armor, plasma pistol, and power fist
- Apothecary x2
- Invictus Suzerains x5, Thunderhammer
- Land Raider Proteus, heavy bolters, extra armor, ceramite plate
- Contemptor Dreadnought Talon, one with Kheres and fist, one with Kheres, fist and plasma blaster
- Sicaran, lascannons
- Deredeo with autocannons and delicious aioli missiles
How comfortable do you feel with this list? I ask because I've got two Calth sets and a Prospero set collecting dust, and I have no clue as to what I should do with the models. Tac squads are an ok thing in 30K?

Also, you're driving to Adepticon, right? I imagine some TSA agent seeing your UMs and thinking you've stumbled across a brilliant way to transport very small quantities of cocaine across state lines. I'm going to stop by the 30K event and see if you've been snorting from those Sicaran tracks.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Tac Squads can be okay-to-good depending on the army. They're probably the best of the vanilla troops choices but Vets and Terminators are generally better. I've thought about trying them with Sons of Horus because I'd be able to get all of my legion and Long March bonuses but Vets are just too strong right now.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah that's the kicker right now. Whey use them when vets are just so damned good?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

berzerkmonkey posted:

How comfortable do you feel with this list? I ask because I've got two Calth sets and a Prospero set collecting dust, and I have no clue as to what I should do with the models. Tac squads are an ok thing in 30K?

Also, you're driving to Adepticon, right? I imagine some TSA agent seeing your UMs and thinking you've stumbled across a brilliant way to transport very small quantities of cocaine across state lines. I'm going to stop by the 30K event and see if you've been snorting from those Sicaran tracks.

My snow basing is cocaine, that's how I paint so fast. I'm flying, but I've flown with armies before. Right now I can fit all 4k of my Heresy Ultras in my KR backpack.

As for the list, I felt pretty comfortable with it but I know that I'd be better off with a Land Raider that actually has an assault ramp, and that army was very weak in close combat. I lost my Suzerain squad and my Chaplain to a single Gal Vorbak Dark Martyr and Erebus. My Contemptors are fine in close combat, but neither was geared solely for punching stuff. That being said this is likely the list I'll be running at Adepticon if there are any 2k events, maybe with a few changes. I'd also be pretty boned against any multiwound 2+ models as the army's only AP2 is some lucky rends and lascannons on the Sicaran, lucky rends and close combat weapons on the Contemptors, and the Legatine Axes on my Suzerains. The army also isn't that mobile.

In other words, I don't think this is actually a great list but I had fun running at anyway? Tac Marines have been fine by me, and blocks of 20 with an Apothecary are pretty durable. Fury of the Legion is a real fun rule too. FotL is even better when you have Ultramarines' Interlocking Tactics and you're rerolling all your 1s on the hit rolls with like 80 bolter shots :getin:

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

berzerkmonkey posted:

I've played maybe a couple dozen 30k games with about 10 opponents at this point, and my experience is generally that the "default" list in my area is Pride of the Legion. People loooove their vet squads. That said, vanilla tacs are totally viable, either as a min-costed tax or a deliberate points investment (18 tacs in a storm eagle with a chaplain and an apothecary is a nightmare for vets to deal with, for instance). Basically, try to decide if you want your base list to be vets, a troop tax (maybe two min squads with rhinos, or a blob on foot and then a min sized squad without upgrades to objective camp in the backfield), or totally built around big blobs of troops and plan your list from there. Legion choice is also a big factor- Space Wolves, Death Guard, Iron Warriors and Imperial Fists all have good motivation to take big units on foot, Ultramarines like MSU spam, while Dark and Blood Angels generally don't want to take tacticals at all. Figure out the style of play you'd like and go from there- nothing is really obviously bad except maybe breacher and destroyer spam, and even then breachers are totally fine as a troops choice.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I love my tactical blobs. Dark Angels are Good at Swords (tm) so their melee weapons are mandatory, but I've had them pull off some really dumb poo poo in close combat. That sword bonus isn't insignificant. I don't run a blob without an apothecary though. An apothecary and a support character like a chaplain, forge lord, or even a librarian will turn a blob from a boring objective grabber into a pretty dangerous unit. I realize that's a lot of points, but two blobs built like that still leaves plenty of room at 2000. I'm slowly shifting my army towards mechanization and I think I'm going to kind of miss blobbing around the table. On the other hand, taaaaaaaaaanks. :getin:

Vets win out pound for pound, but they're one of the best units in 30k. They should probably be something like 180+ for a full squad of 10 and not 160 as they are now. They're too easy to spam and Marksmen is an amazing bonus. They're just as fragile as normal tacticals, but they can dish out a ton of damage.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

SRM posted:

In other words, I don't think this is actually a great list but I had fun running at anyway? Tac Marines have been fine by me, and blocks of 20 with an Apothecary are pretty durable. Fury of the Legion is a real fun rule too. FotL is even better when you have Ultramarines' Interlocking Tactics and you're rerolling all your 1s on the hit rolls with like 80 bolter shots :getin:

30k seems a bit more lenient to that kind of stuff, which makes me happy because fluff list building is the only list building I enjoy :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

ijyt posted:

30k seems a bit more lenient to that kind of stuff, which makes me happy because fluff list building is the only list building I enjoy :v:

That's absolutely true. I have yet to play against an rear end in a top hat or a totally busted list. Everyone so far has definitely been doing good things with their armies, but no one takes two typhons and 9 quad mortars or 35 jetbikes or anything like that. People seem to want to make their list a good reflection of their legion.