Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also Re: woke Lego. Do friends sets have backstories for the minifigs or something? Idg how Fox news even came to the conclusion that Lego is making anxiety figures.

E: terrible snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mentioning disabilities + anxiety was a dog whistle, in the title card they showed a fairly diverse group of friends figures which is probably what they're actually mad about.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Right. I just want to understand how they determined that a Lego figure has anxiety though. Do friends figures have bios that pointed them to that conclusion or something? How do you even convey anxiety on a minifigure?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Right. I just want to understand how they determined that a Lego figure has anxiety though. Do friends figures have bios that pointed them to that conclusion or something? How do you even convey anxiety on a minifigure?

they all do kind of have little stories, for example
https://www.lego.com/en-us/themes/friends/characters/paisley

"Meet Paisley from LEGO® Friends
Although she’s often shy in everyday life, when Paisley gets on stage she breaks out of her shell. She’s a talented musician and the songs she writes are full of emotion.

In tune with her friends’ feelings
Paisley’s gentle nature makes her a brilliant listener and she’s always ready with a sympathetic ear when her friends have a problem they need to share."

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ok yeah, that's exactly what I was wondering.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

boxen posted:

A little late for anxiety chat, but yeah building legos is about the closest I get to mediation. The best part of a lovely work week for me is driving over to the Lego store and finding something that tickles my fancy and building it over the weekend. It's like a craft hobby but there's no rear end in a top hat in the back of my mind commenting on how I'm not very good at what I'm trying to learn how to do.

oh yeah? You should post some pics of a MOC in this thread ;)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Aye Doc posted:

they all do kind of have little stories, for example
https://www.lego.com/en-us/themes/friends/characters/paisley

There is a tie-in cartoon as well

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

Zwille posted:

Yeah it’s the same for me, I guess it’s because it’s marketed as a kids toy too, as indicated by the stud shooters :v:

All modern LEGO sets, regardless of age rating, are designed to be fully “safe” for a child to fall on from any angle and not poke an eye out. For every step of the build process. You’ll never find an official build that requires a fixed exposed axel beyond a certain length, or something like that spike that doesn’t either flex or have a really weak attachment.

The architecture skylines are a good example, they’re all on clip attachments for that reason.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
That sounds like a challenge to me.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

boxen posted:

A little late for anxiety chat, but yeah building legos is about the closest I get to mediation. The best part of a lovely work week for me is driving over to the Lego store and finding something that tickles my fancy and building it over the weekend. It's like a craft hobby but there's no rear end in a top hat in the back of my mind commenting on how I'm not very good at what I'm trying to learn how to do.

For me not so much for anxiety but relaxation. I’m in a zone when sorting bulk buys, rebuilding used sets, or building new.

I had a new director at work and he’s like “what technology do you work on your spare time? Do you code or build apps or work on hardware?” I told him nothing. I do Lego because it is far from technology, I work on tech all day I have no interest to do it in my spare time.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
All lego people have anxiety because any moment they could be torn apart for a MOC...

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
It seems that 'Lego is WOKE now' isn't limited to Fox. The Daily Mail ran an article that was just as dogwhistly, with the added bonus of them trying to tie it to the rewrites of Roald Dahl's novels:

quote:

The move is the latest attempt from companies who market products aimed at children to be more 'inclusive' - and it comes after publisher Puffin hired sensitivity trainers to rewrite portions of Roald Dahl books and Hasbro dropped the 'Mr.' from Mr. Potato Head's name.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Well that's kind of unnerving. Got a random, and obviously phsing text message:

quote:

UPS: (my full name) your lego order is being prepared for (my postal code) a delivery fee of 1.55$ is required to delivered, pay to have your parcel on time by visiting (lego delivery . info)

Like, logically it's not too unusual - maybe there's a bot that's checking UPS tracking info? Just a bit strange because on the tracker that I can view, none of my major details are visible? But I guess that tracking info must still be semi-public in a way that bot can find it or something. Interesting that it's targeting lego orders in particular?

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
just now doing the Super Mario 64™ Question Mark Block and I love this playful fuckin cube

eat poo poo Eiffel Tower, I would instead build three or more of these righteous rhombohedrons

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wonder how they Eiffel tower is selling. It looks amazing but also seems like a miserable build and at the end of the day is having a 5 foot Eiffel tower in your house really that appealing? I have some of the big SW UCS sets and frequently question why I've devoted so much of my living space to them but that tower is next level.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sivart13 posted:

just now doing the Super Mario 64™ Question Mark Block and I love this playful fuckin cube

eat poo poo Eiffel Tower, I would instead build three or more of these righteous rhombohedrons

Get the goon alt-levels and you can!

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Awaiting my shipment of bricks from Bricklink from like, 5 different vendors. Today I got a 12 cent refund from a broker because one of the pieces was no longer available. I'm torn here because while I certainly appreciate the refund and know that nothing more can be done about it, it still sucks to have to try and get one piece from there. Luckily I need a poo poo ton more pieces anyway so I can just make a list and put it in with my next batch, but what I'm saying is that I like to complain about things and I think I'm pretty good at it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Flyinglemur posted:

Awaiting my shipment of bricks from Bricklink from like, 5 different vendors. Today I got a 12 cent refund from a broker because one of the pieces was no longer available. I'm torn here because while I certainly appreciate the refund and know that nothing more can be done about it, it still sucks to have to try and get one piece from there. Luckily I need a poo poo ton more pieces anyway so I can just make a list and put it in with my next batch, but what I'm saying is that I like to complain about things and I think I'm pretty good at it.

I hate this poo poo. I think BL needs to institute a policy that if a seller completes an order and refunds due to a missing piece then they have to replace it for you. Putting the honus on the buyer for a seller mistake is hosed up.

You're the seller. You screwed up. You fix it or you can't sell there any more.

Aggravating as gently caress to have to pay an additional $5 shipping for a 10 cent piece due to no mistake of your own.

I had a seller refund me AFTER shipping before. Didn't even give me a chance to cancel and order elsewhere.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Waltzing Along posted:

I had a seller refund me AFTER shipping before. Didn't even give me a chance to cancel and order elsewhere.

Yeah that is what happened to me. I got the shipment and the refund notifications at the same time.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I've had it happen a few times and it loving sucks. The good news for me is that I live my life like a big dumb jackass so there's always more parts I need to order anyway, so I just tack it on to that one. Which is also the reason why I ordered a bunch of parts last night and then completely forgot to buy some yellow 1x3 plates so that's great.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If they cant fulfill an entire order they should be required to notify the buyer and ask if they want a full refund or just a refund for the missing part before selling. That part might be a deal breaker on the entire order.

Could be worse. I have had a non insignificant amount of BL sellers just forget to include parts I ordered.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

boxen posted:

i do it during wfh meetings that go on way too long and dont require much in the way of my input. it doesnt require so much of my attention that i can't follow along with the meeting, while also giving me poo poo to do

DrChu
May 14, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

If they cant fulfill an entire order they should be required to notify the buyer and ask if they want a full refund or just a refund for the missing part before selling. That part might be a deal breaker on the entire order.

Could be worse. I have had a non insignificant amount of BL sellers just forget to include parts I ordered.

I think this would be the best and easiest policy to implement, just let the buyer be able to cancel with no repercussion if the seller is missing a part. I feel half the time it’s happened to me the missing part was the whole reason I went to the shop in the first place, and anything else I ordered was just to get to the minimum order or make the shipping more reasonable.

I don’t think I’ve had many missing parts, but I have gotten incorrect parts or wrong variations and half the sellers just don’t care.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I doubt they would ever do that. Bricklink is the opposite of ebay and always sides with sellers. I guess because they need the sellers, because it takes effort to set up a bricklink store, whereas there will always be someone selling a gameboy on ebay, and it's not entirely based on dedicated sellers. I figured things might change once Lego acquired them, but who knows.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cojawfee posted:

I doubt they would ever do that. Bricklink is the opposite of ebay and always sides with sellers. I guess because they need the sellers, because it takes effort to set up a bricklink store, whereas there will always be someone selling a gameboy on ebay, and it's not entirely based on dedicated sellers. I figured things might change once Lego acquired them, but who knows.

Naw. It's just because they aren't dealing with banks and fraud. Ebay had so many fraud cases all the time that to fix things they started siding with the buyers like 99% of the time. Sometimes buyers will gently caress over sellers but most of the time buyers are just buying things they want. When it was reversed sellers were loving over buyers constantly with all manner of scams.

I was hoping that LEGO would fix BL but they don't care. So we have this busted site that claims they need sellers when they need both sellers and buyers.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
If they did it the other way then they'd instead ship the order incomplete and then put the onus on you to count when they arrive and notice/ask.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Building Lego (and reaching a flow state while doing it) is the closest most people will ever come to meditation, and that's awesome.

cheaper per-piece than cracking pistachios and 0 calories too

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Also, if you don’t use it already I would also check BrickOwl. I have t placed nearly as many orders there but it’s good to check both of you’re trying to get a hard to find piece. You can export your Bricklink want list and import it there, though you’ll need to remember to make changes to both so they stay up to date.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

DrChu posted:

Also, if you don’t use it already I would also check BrickOwl. I have t placed nearly as many orders there but it’s good to check both of you’re trying to get a hard to find piece. You can export your Bricklink want list and import it there, though you’ll need to remember to make changes to both so they stay up to date.

Thanks!

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

I made Kevin the Snipe, from Up, from 11022 the other day!

I try not to spam here with every silly thing but I really like this one and thought I'd share. Free instructions are at:
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-139543/mattking4/11022-kevin-the-snipe/#details

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Prophet of Nixon posted:

I try not to spam here with every silly thing but I really like this one and thought I'd share. Free instructions are at:
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-139543/mattking4/11022-kevin-the-snipe/#details

That's really awesome!

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Dang that's so good! Perfect to go with the upcoming Up! house set.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Pretty cool. I'm still building the temple made from that set a while back (was it by you or someone else? I can't remember), and this looks like a good one to do as a follow-up. My wife and I both liked that movie, so I'm sure it'll go over well.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

DrChu posted:

Upvote for Brickowl. I've done way more business through them than BL over the years.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
oops, wrong thread

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Flyinglemur posted:

That's really awesome!

BaconCopter posted:

Dang that's so good! Perfect to go with the upcoming Up! house set.

Meaty Ore posted:

Pretty cool. I'm still building the temple made from that set a while back (was it by you or someone else? I can't remember), and this looks like a good one to do as a follow-up. My wife and I both liked that movie, so I'm sure it'll go over well.

Thanks! I took apart my previous build to try out a new, larger Galaxy Explorer someone else posted, but while I was taking it apart watched Up, and ended up building Kevin instead. Now I can't bring myself to take her apart.

And yea, that temple is one of mine - it looks nice when it's done I think, but it really needs another QA pass here and there. It got a bit too complex to take apart/rebuild every time I wanted to experiment (and doesn't really have a lot of stable sub-builds or "chunks") and so I finally decided it was polished enough.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I haven't been able to shut up about Andor lately so for my birthday someone got me the Ambush on Ferrix and it's fun!
I'm midway bag-5 and the build is surprisingly detailed and hefty, the pictures on the website don't do it justice. A lot closer to being worth the 80 dollar price tag than if I was using my own money.
What brings it down is that there's a big support pillar in the middle of it, which is why the sides needed to open up to get the figs into it (and the back hatch is vestigal) and a lot of stickers. Even on like 1x2 control tiles which I would expect to be printed. I was musing at the time that they're probably not printed so they can be more accurate to the show but I'd have prefered a generic computer printed piece to a sticker. (which I won't apply because it will never be straight and of course it will just peel off)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My kid got a ton of bday Legos, one notable one for us was the 8wide batmobile from the recent batman movie. It's the first 8wide we've ever built and the speed champions plate thing is pretty neat. It's a big hit but is very incongruous with the rest of the city. His other batmobile from an age 4+ set can fit on its hood.

Me a few years ago: 6 wide is stupid, 4 wide is all you ever need for cute little cars
Me now: 8 wide is stupid, 6 wide is all you ever need for little cars.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I eagerly await the day when speed champions cars are the same size as creator expert cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Video Games

Did another Risk of Rain 2 build! Various characters, items, etc. from the game.