Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

I'd love to see the key they use to score that.

I'm guessing some of those items indicate valuing social judgement over personal morality.

They want people who do what they're told.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Proust Malone posted:

The decoration for bravery lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can’t, not without your help. But you’re not helping. Why is that?

This made me giggle more than it should have for some reason. Just imagining a medal of honor laying on the ground kinda flapping its ribbon around trying to turn itself over.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

ikanreed posted:

I'm guessing some of those items indicate valuing social judgement over personal morality.

They want people who do what they're told.

Instead they get people skilled at telling HR (and other authorities) what they want to hear. The systemic effects of this are fun. :devil:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Entorwellian posted:

These should be the application questions to becoming an SA moderator.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i am not permitted Griffin

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

blatman posted:

it's probably just "time taken to complete" except you have to hit just the right time based on pseudoscientific hr stuff - too fast and you didn't care enough, too slow and you're an unemployable potato

It's basically the YT's mom scoring rubric

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

ynohtna posted:

Instead they get people skilled at telling HR (and other authorities) what they want to hear. The systemic effects of this are fun. :devil:

Hi, I've written a lot of job applications and been in a few interviews based on those.

Semi related, I had a boss who absolutely aced her leadership exams and all the recruiter tests, but when she was finally fired (long after I left) they had to bring in psychological counselling for the remaining team.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

BonHair posted:

Hi, I've written a lot of job applications and been in a few interviews based on those.

Semi related, I had a boss who absolutely aced her leadership exams and all the recruiter tests, but when she was finally fired (long after I left) they had to bring in psychological counselling for the remaining team.

I imagine she went onto better and brighter things if she had this sort of an impact!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

bedpan posted:

I imagine she went onto better and brighter things if she had this sort of an impact!

Yeah she's vice president now

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I actually stalk her on LinkedIn occasionally, and it's gone from pretty active to zero activity since she was fired, including not updating where she works. I'm assuming the professional network is doing a rare good thing. Also I'm feeling okay about imagining her entire identity and livelihood being taken away from her, because she was not a good person.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BonHair posted:

what kind of freak show were you at where they published recruiter evaluations and leadership test resukts?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

what kind of freak show were you at where they published recruiter evaluations and leadership test resukts?

This is obviously second or third hand info and there is not a bulletin board with test scores in the break room.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Subjunctive posted:

im sure that kind of person wasted no chance to talk about their test scores

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Whew I was thinking this comment was going to take a darker turn
https://twitter.com/WallStreetSilv/status/1791536835837006015?t=FOsGlq4QqcM0D1UFhHmEhQ&s=19

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

How many "useless, worthless" people in "africa and south asia" relegated to "cheap labor" have the potential to be an Important Public Intellectual like Yuval Noah Harari (but hopefully less evil) except for where they ended up in the birth lottery?

relegating whole continents to "useless eaters" based on pie-in-the-sky AI evangelism, drat. deeply sinister guy.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Where the gently caress do I sign up lol!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Owlbear Camus posted:

How many "useless, worthless" people in "africa and south asia" relegated to "cheap labor" have the potential to be an Important Public Intellectual like Yuval Noah Harari (but hopefully less evil) except for where they ended up in the birth lottery?

relegating whole continents to "useless eaters" based on pie-in-the-sky AI evangelism, drat. deeply sinister guy.

Drugs and video games is how he became an influential thinker, so he simply wants to give more people access to his important and very useful job.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

utilitarianism fascism hedonism pipeline

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Carthag Tuek posted:

utilitarianism fascism hedonism pipeline

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i know but its rare they put it in so few sentences in public

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Stephen Jay Gould posted:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

thinking about that chinese sweatshop worker's suicide and poetry

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

The ending of his stupid book got more insane with every sentence.

Every single person (or, to be precise, man) who writes a "this is my one theory that explains the entirety of human history here are 5 examples from ancient egypt to modern day new york city and by the way don't even have a history degree lol" book should be sentenced to life in prison and everyone who ever praised on of these books should have to go to school again.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Peggotty posted:

Every single person (or, to be precise, man) who writes a "this is my one theory that explains the entirety of human history here are 5 examples from ancient egypt to modern day new york city and by the way don't even have a history degree lol" book should be sentenced to life in prison and everyone who ever praised on of these books should have to go to school again.

Turn off your animus

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Peggotty posted:

Thought you were talking about Steven Jay Gould and was getting pissed off until I realised.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Peggotty posted:

The only things I remember are that he thinks sports are religions and we're going to turn into cyber people (?).

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The only things I remember are that he thinks sports are religions and we're going to turn into cyber people (?).

Sounds true

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

With the amount of cyber sex in back in the day, surely a lot of cyber people are out there now

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

BonHair posted:

With the amount of cyber sex in back in the day, surely a lot of cyber people are out there now

my night elf girlfriend is real now??

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Biplane posted:

my night elf girlfriend is real now??

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
Harari is like middlebrow crack.

I wish I knew the formula to use to write one of these inane garbage books that takes MET subscribers by storm.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

this is woke. e: anyway im incorporated in ironforge, the forge fathers there usually rule in favor of the husband

Biplane has issued a correction as of 18:47 on May 19, 2024

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

Harari is like middlebrow crack.

I wish I knew the formula to use to write one of these inane garbage books that takes MET subscribers by storm.

The Dawn of Everything rules, it's very c spam, and it specifically calls out Harari more than once

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Biplane posted:

this is woke. e: anyway im incorporated in ironforge, the forge fathers there usually rule in favor of the husband

you’d think so but they went woke when Moira joined the council of three hammers. it’s all about women’s rights now.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

the dawn of everything posted:

In the last chapter, we suggested that the really insidious element of Rousseau’s legacy is not so much the idea of the ‘noble savage’ as that of the ‘stupid savage’. We may have got over the overt racism of most nineteenth-century Europeans, or at least we think we have, but it’s not unusual to find even very sophisticated contemporary thinkers who feel it’s more appropriate to compare ‘bands’ of hunter-gatherers with chimps or baboons than with anyone they’d ever be likely to meet. Consider the following passage from the historian Yuval Noah Harari’s Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind (2014). Harari starts off with a perfectly reasonable observation: that our knowledge of early human history is extremely limited, and social arrangements probably varied a great deal from place to place. True, he overstates his case (he suggests we can really know nothing, even about the Ice Age), but the basic point is well taken. Then we get this:

quote:

The sociopolitical world of the foragers is another area about which we know next to nothing … scholars cannot even agree on the basics, such as the existence of private property, nuclear families and monogamous relationships. It’s likely that different bands had different structures. Some may have been as hierarchical, tense and violent as the nastiest chimpanzee group, while others were as laid-back, peaceful and lascivious as a bunch of bonobos.
So not only was everyone living in bands until farming came along, but these bands were basically ape-like in character. If this seems unfair to the author, remember that Harari could just as easily have written ‘as tense and violent as the nastiest biker gang’, and ‘as laid-back, peaceful and lascivious as a hippie commune’. One might have imagined the obvious thing to compare one group of human beings with would be … another group of human beings. Why, then, did Harari choose chimps instead of bikers? It’s hard to escape the impression that the main point of difference is that bikers choose to live the way they do. Such choices imply political consciousness: the ability to argue and reflect about the proper way to live – which is precisely, as Boehm reminds us, what apes don’t do. Yet Harari, like so many others, chooses to compare early humans with apes anyway.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The best part of the dawn of everything is when they postulate that early modern Europeans were nasty greedy murderous brutes who couldn't even imagine freedom until Native Americans taught them the concept, all while somehow completely clowning on the idea of the noble savage

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The best part of the dawn of everything is when they postulate that early modern Europeans were nasty greedy murderous brutes who couldn't even imagine freedom until Native Americans taught them the concept, all while somehow completely clowning on the idea of the noble savage

they didn't teach us anything, we're still nasty greedy murderous brutes.

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The romanticization of the Mohawk predates America itself. There's no getting that out of the Anglo imagination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Just this one more long quote about how Harari is bad

quote:

Historians sometimes like to turn this question on its head. It is wheat, they remind us, that has domesticated people, just as much as people ever domesticated wheat.

Yuval Harari waxes eloquent on this point, asking us to think ‘for a moment about the Agricultural Revolution from the viewpoint of wheat’. Ten thousand years ago, he points out, wheat was just another form of wild grass, of no special significance; but within the space of a few millennia it was growing over large parts of the planet. How did it happen? The answer, according to Harari, is that wheat did it by manipulating Homo sapiens to its advantage. ‘This ape’, he writes, ‘had been living a fairly comfortable life hunting and gathering until about 10,000 years ago, but then began to invest more and more effort in cultivating wheat.’ If wheat didn’t like stones, humans had to clear them from their fields; if wheat didn’t want to share its space with other plants, people were obliged to labour under the hot sun weeding them out; if wheat craved water, people had to lug it from one place to another, and so on.30

There’s something ineluctable about all this. But only if we accept the premise that it does in fact make sense to look at the whole process ‘from the viewpoint of wheat’. On reflection, why should we? Humans are very large-brained and intelligent primates and wheat is, well … a sort of grass. Of course, there are non-human species that have, in a sense, domesticated themselves – the house mouse and sparrow are among them, and so too probably the dog, all found, incidentally, in Early Neolithic villages of the Middle East. It’s also undoubtedly true that, over the long term, ours is a species that has become enslaved to its crops: wheat, rice, millet and corn feed the world, and it’s hard to envisage modern life without them.

But to make sense of the beginnings of Neolithic farming, we surely need to try and see it from the perspective of the Palaeolithic, not of the present, and still less from the viewpoint of some imaginary race of bourgeois ape-men. Of course, this is harder to do, but the alternative is to slip back into the realms of myth-making: retelling the past as a ‘just-so’ story, which makes our present situation seem somehow inevitable or preordained. Harari’s retelling is appealing, we suggest, not because it’s based on any evidence, but because we’ve heard it a thousand times before, just with a different cast of characters. In fact, many of us have been hearing it from infancy. Once again, we’re back in the Garden of Eden. Except now, it’s not a wily serpent who tricks humanity into sampling the forbidden fruit of knowledge. It’s the fruit itself (i.e. the cereal grains).

We already know how this one goes. Humans were once living a ‘fairly comfortable life’, subsisting from the blessings of Nature, but then we made our most fatal mistake. Lured by the prospect of a still easier life – of surplus and luxury, of living like gods – we had to go and tamper with that harmonious State of Nature, and thus unwittingly turned ourselves into slaves.