Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Ardennes posted:

It has all happened recently, in the space of a month, but that said I have slowly been noticing more spaces staying vacant.

I know Laurelwood at least straight out said they couldn't stay in business because their lease was eating them alive. Lompoc, Bridgeport (which was earlier this year), and the company that was running Henry's (and also Stanford's) both went into bankruptcy. I assume Rock-bottom was just cutting their loses.

It seems stronger than a normal churn to me.

There's a big space in a nice building that is literally across the street from the Space Needle in Seattle that has been vacant for I think over a year. Used to be a sports bar ran by a sorta famous local chef. They left because the rent was just too much. Unless you charge 45 bucks for a hamburger you just ain't going to make it. Another big restaurant in downtown Seattle closed the other month because of rent. It's been there for decades and is in a major shopping mall. But rent.

I'm baffled why the landlords would rather get zero money for over a year than just lower the rent, but I guess that's why I'm not a Job Creator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

1glitch0 posted:

There's a big space in a nice building that is literally across the street from the Space Needle in Seattle that has been vacant for I think over a year. Used to be a sports bar ran by a sorta famous local chef. They left because the rent was just too much. Unless you charge 45 bucks for a hamburger you just ain't going to make it. Another big restaurant in downtown Seattle closed the other month because of rent. It's been there for decades and is in a major shopping mall. But rent.

I'm baffled why the landlords would rather get zero money for over a year than just lower the rent, but I guess that's why I'm not a Job Creator.
They get to write off a lot of bullshit, so the loss to them isn't as bad as you would hope.

We desperately need a vacancy tax (on both commercial and residential properties). It's not a panacea, but it's a start.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

halokiller posted:

How are the chances of I-976 passing? Everywhere I go it's a hard resounding NO, but then there's always that threat of the silent majority with their "muh taxes!" that always worry me.

This isn't the first time Tim Eyman has attempted $30 car tabs, he did it in 1999 which passed at 56% but got overturned by the WA Supreme Court (as do most Eyman initiatives that pass).

The no on 976 is outspending yes on 976 by a resounding 8 to 1, so who knows. I cant find any polls on it.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

seiferguy posted:

This isn't the first time Tim Eyman has attempted $30 car tabs, he did it in 1999 which passed at 56% but got overturned by the WA Supreme Court (as do most Eyman initiatives that pass).

The no on 976 is outspending yes on 976 by a resounding 8 to 1, so who knows. I cant find any polls on it.

I would also point out the fact that he’s absolutely toxic at this point. Don’t be complacent, but know that lots of folks just plain hate his guts.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Solkanar512 posted:

I would also point out the fact that he’s absolutely toxic at this point. Don’t be complacent, but know that lots of folks just plain hate his guts.

Yeah I think most people know his poo poo sucks. Even the no on 976 are calling it "Tim Eyman's initiative" in every ad I see.

I'm actually interested in ref 88 (worst number for this type of referendum). Every major newspaper endorses approving it, but I feel like a bunch of people will fall back on the lie that it creates a quota system.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name
I've heard his goal is to dismantle government and he's like stuck on the first step. He's very odd. I want to know what was going through his mind when he stole that chair from Office Depot.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

inkblottime posted:

I've heard his goal is to dismantle government and he's like stuck on the first step. He's very odd. I want to know what was going through his mind when he stole that chair from Office Depot.

"Chair today, gone tomorrow"

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

seiferguy posted:

Polling on 976 from the "no" campaign: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6536786-I-976-poll-by-opposition-October-2019.html

It was ahead in previous July polling but the ads so far have worked and driven down support. Yes is still ahead but both sides are under 50% now so it could go either way. Rule of thumb is that undecided voters tend to lean "no" on initiatives but that's not really driven by data, more just an anecdotal thing. Given that the No camp has increased their ads since this poll was in the field, probably leaning our way but far from a sure thing for either side.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
It looks like it would also get rid of the $150 tax on electric vehicles.

Why the hell is there a $150 tax on electric vehicles?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

CongoJack posted:

It looks like it would also get rid of the $150 tax on electric vehicles.

Why the hell is there a $150 tax on electric vehicles?
Electric cars still degrade and congest roads by driving on them, but don't pay gasoline taxes.
edit:
This is not to suggest that gasoline taxes are a good way to fund public infrastructure, but it's the system we've got.

twodot fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 3, 2019

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

twodot posted:

Electric cars still degrade and congest roads by driving on them, but don't pay gasoline taxes.
edit:
This is not to suggest that gasoline taxes are a good way to fund public infrastructure, but it's the system we've got.

Ok, that makes sense for why they would do that, thanks.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
So that's how double posts happen.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Punishing people for not buying gas is the stupidest loving thing.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

You're right, we should require all electric vehicles to include tamper-proof GPS recorders that keep track of how many miles the car is driven on public roads in Washington state.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Javid posted:

Punishing people for not buying gas is the stupidest loving thing.

Taxes aren't punishment.

Electric cars use the roads but don't pay the gas tax that is one of the primary funding sources for road maintenance and construction. It's not "punishment" to say that drivers of on-road diesel cars and trucks can't legally use the specially dyed, non-taxed diesel that's supposed to be for farm equipment only, either.

You can make a reasonable argument that the emissions benefits of electric cars are substantial enough that we should deliberately subsidize them by letting their drivers get around the gas tax. But, that's not failing to "punish" them. That's offering a specific subsidy.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Like I fully agree that funding public infrastructure via gas taxes is dumb and bad, and we should be working on ending the use of gas, and not relying people purchasing it to build roads. However, it's way harder to do that than say "Wow these cars need roads and don't need gas, I guess we need to tax them in order to keep building roads".

twodot fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 3, 2019

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Buying and burning fuel is specifically an activity there needs to be less of, so people who are willing to deal with the hassle of owning a fully electric vehicles should not be financially disincentivized from doing so any more than they already are. Taxing them in the manner they are is objectively stupid and driving people away from EVs in exchange for probably a piddly amount of tax money.

"Electric vehicles are taking over the market so hard that gas tax income is hurting" is a good problem to have, and we're lol not even close to it happening

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

edit: This post confused two different taxes

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
If people actually want to change vehicular taxes based on road damage they should clearly do it based on axle weight and mileage, which is the only thing that actually matters in terms of damaging roads. But people don't actually do that because then those big trucks and SUVs would end up having to pay their fair share.

Gasoline taxes are fine, and the fact that all of these "alternative tax programs" conveniently carve out savings for big pickups are entirely the point for the people that are promoting them. The only issue with them is that the taxes generally haven't been increased to match inflation since the 1970s.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Kaal posted:

If people actually want to change vehicular taxes based on road damage they should clearly do it based on axle weight and mileage, which is the only thing that actually matters in terms of damaging roads. But people don't actually do that because then those big trucks and SUVs would end up having to pay their fair share.

Gasoline taxes are fine, and the fact that all of these "alternative tax programs" conveniently carve out savings for big pickups are entirely the point for the people that are promoting them. The only issue with them is that the taxes generally haven't been increased to match inflation since the 1970s.

Yeah, it's rather bullshit that some Escalade isn't taxed more than my BRZ when the BRZ does way, way less damage.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Javid posted:

Buying and burning fuel is specifically an activity there needs to be less of, so people who are willing to deal with the hassle of owning a fully electric vehicles should not be financially disincentivized from doing so any more than they already are. Taxing them in the manner they are is objectively stupid and driving people away from EVs in exchange for probably a piddly amount of tax money.

"Electric vehicles are taking over the market so hard that gas tax income is hurting" is a good problem to have, and we're lol not even close to it happening

Electric cars are also disproportionately owned by more wealthy people, they can afford the minor tax to contribute to road repairs.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
You’ll find that commercial trucking is much worse for roads than an Escalade. The gap from BRZ to three ton SUV and three ton SUV to 21 ton loaded reefer isn’t really comparable.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

You’ll find that commercial trucking is much worse for roads than an Escalade. The gap from BRZ to three ton SUV and three ton SUV to 21 ton loaded reefer isn’t really comparable.

Diesel needs to die, but at least the shipping trucks are accomplishing something.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Being only generally familiar with the relative orders of magnitude involved, i would really love to see numbers for what vehicles both cause and end up paying for what proportions of the annual road repair budget, but lol, the only way a Volt comes even close to a semi is if the driver DUIs into a particularly expensive freeway sign

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

The damage to the roadbed is proportional to the 4th power of the axle load. Doubling the weight of a vehicle increases its relative damage to roads by 16x.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Javid posted:

Being only generally familiar with the relative orders of magnitude involved, i would really love to see numbers for what vehicles both cause and end up paying for what proportions of the annual road repair budget, but lol, the only way a Volt comes even close to a semi is if the driver DUIs into a particularly expensive freeway sign

This blog ran the numbers and found that semis cause 99 percent of road wear but only pay about 35 percent of the maintenance. This means that taxpayers subsidize trucking to the tune of $60 billion a year in tax avoidance.

https://truecostblog.com/2009/06/02/the-hidden-trucking-industry-subsidy/

Additionally, trucking gets subsidized pretty thoroughly at every level, from discounts on fuel and pollution waivers, to breaks on taxes and insurance. It amounts to about 50 cents a mile, or another $130 billion per year, which means that American effectively taxpayers pay for all the fuel that semi-trucks use.

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2015/06/02/trucking-industry-imposes-up-to-128-billion-in-costs-on-society-each-year/

Kaal fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Nov 3, 2019

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Kaal posted:

This blog ran the numbers and found that semis cause 99 percent of road wear but only pay about 35 percent of the maintenance.
Surely that's road wear from vehicle damage, not all road wear. As in, even with zero vehicles on a road, it will gradually degrade anyway simply from existing+weather.

I agree that vehicles should pay based on damage caused to the road, but not solely that, because that's not the only reason roads degrade.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Not paying a gas tax is something I have heard older folks use as a "drat stupid bicycle riders taking up the road" complaint.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Cicero posted:

Surely that's road wear from vehicle damage, not all road wear. As in, even with zero vehicles on a road, it will gradually degrade anyway simply from existing+weather.

I agree that vehicles should pay based on damage caused to the road, but not solely that, because that's not the only reason roads degrade.

It really can't be overstated how much road deterioration is effectively synonymous with heavy vehicle usage. A modern highway, meaning one constructed with decent quality materials, appropriate to the local environment and designed to have good drainage, is effectively immune to weather issues. But what happens is that load stress breaks up the surface protection and introduces cracking, deformation, and water infiltration. This is why disused roads can last for decades with virtually no maintenance, whereas the truck corridors need constant repaving. Indeed road engineers have largely switched to using cheaper 10-20 year materials in part because investing in 50 year materials is pointless when you have to resurface so often anyway.

If we were to design a system that factored in both direct roadbed damage and "shared" environmental damage, it would be about 99% axle weight / mileage and 1% "engineers didn't sufficiently account for climate change".

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
^^^
Edit: That's some interesting info. Thanks. Where do you suggest I go to read more?

Shifty Nipples posted:

Not paying a gas tax is something I have heard older folks use as a "drat stupid bicycle riders taking up the road" complaint.

Yeah, I'll pay a road tax on my bike if it's proportional to the amount of damage it is causing.

In addition to looking at damage, you could look at who is profiting off of the existence of the roads. Through that lense trucking companies and large businesses should be paying basically all of the road maintenance costs.

But I also think a carbon tax that taxes all vehicles based on output is really necessary if we want to get our hands around climate change. And honestly I feel like that could have played with old school fiscal conservatives (Bush 1 era), because you literally get to choose how much tax you are paying. Cap and trade was their idea in the first place. But LOL those conservatives are gone now. Drummed out of the Republican party or else have made a deal with the devil to stay in.

An individual carbon use tax really needs to accompany a dramatic reimagining of our economy and massive public transportation projects to be feasible and fair though.

therobit fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 3, 2019

Kaal
May 22, 2002

therobit posted:

^^^
Edit: That's some interesting info. Thanks. Where do you suggest I go to read more?

While there's a lot of studies and such that talk about the mechanisms of road wear, they're mostly 100 page engineering white papers because the only people interested in this sort of thing are being paid to learn about it. But there's a couple different articles that I've found that break things down more succinctly:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/understading-pavement-deterioration-muhammad-bukhsh-bhatti

http://asphaltmagazine.com/understanding-asphalt-pavement-distresses-five-distresses-explained/

Basically what you'll find a lot of at the lay level is explanations that private roads and driveways typically have issues because they get built in the wrong places or with poor foundations. When proper engineers remedy these issues (like when building a modern freeway) there's every expectation that the road should stand up to light cars and trucks without any particular strain, allowing them to last for years before needing maintenance. But as vehicular weights have increased over time, they've induced unavoidable stresses.

As an example: A sedan is never going to affect warm summer asphalt, even if 10,000 of them drive over the same spot. But a single heavy truck is going to compress that asphalt down and to the side, creating rutting when done enough. This allows for water to get in during the fall, which makes for freezing damage during the winter, and cracks and potholes in the spring. This damaged surface then compounds problems until the road is repaired or has foundation issues and has to be replaced entirely. Without that initial load stress, the road is never deformed, water never gets in, and cracks and potholes never develop.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 3, 2019

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Thanatosian posted:

1. Herbold, godwilling; the pigs and Safe Seattle are mobilizing hard against her, though, so it'll probably be tight, either way.
2. Morales, in spite of Solomon murdering whole forests to feed his mailer machine. Also, gently caress the firefighter and pig unions for endorsing him.
3. Orion, unfortunately; I think Sawant has a shot based on the Amazon backlash, but I don't think it'll be enough.
4. Pederson; I gave Shaun my democracy vouchers, though, even though I don't live in his district.
5. Juarez, no question.
6. Strauss, but I don't think it'll be as close as 1 or 3. Strippergate will be the decider, I think.
7. Probably going to be Pugel, but I think this is largely a Giant Douche/Turd Sandwich situation.

seems like herbold is pretty safe, she got over 50% in the primary, as did morales

for D3, i wonder where dewolf's and nguyen's voters will go—adding them to kshama's primary vote totals 57.5%. i think the big Amazon/chamber $$$ may just put kshama above 50%. that is being optimistic though

shaun seems like he has the longest shot of any of the progressives/socialists in the race. his and emily myers' primary vote total is only 36%, though that was while most students were away, but i'd guess very few students probably vote in the general anyway. his ground game has been pretty big though. very curious to see how this turns out.

agree juarez is a lock

dan only got 34% in the primary, and i'm guessing sergio voters will go with heidi, but i'm not sure how fathi's 13% will split. i think this one will be as close as D1, but dan will hopefully edge out.

re: D7, the hotel unions have been putting major $$$ behind lewis, even flying in people to canvas. seems like with magnolia and queen anne it'll be hard for him though, as pugel seems more aligned with that crowd.

but then i see this and i just don't know, all this money is loving crazy

https://twitter.com/hlweiner/status/1190721222264250368

Wraith of J.O.I. fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 3, 2019

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Is Sawant really getting a majority of her contributions from outside the city? Or is this some weird numbers thing that's getting misinterpreted?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I know racism is bad, but that doesn't help me vote on that one initiative.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Spergin Morlock posted:

walmart produce is gross though. i'm not sure how they manage to ALWAYS have half rotten fruits and vegetables on display

They ship them in from really far away. They're rotten before they get off the truck.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

EDIT: Why you making me respond to super old post. :xd: That was seriously like almost a month ago.

inkblottime fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Nov 4, 2019

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

inkblottime posted:

Is Sawant really getting a majority of her contributions from outside the city? Or is this some weird numbers thing that's getting misinterpreted?

Probably. That doesn't necessarily mean anything bad.

A fair amount of it will be Socialist Alternative members outside of the city donating their own money. Some will also be those same members hitting up their community for donations. The race has gotten a bit of coverage outside of Seattle and people see this as a fight against Amazon. A bunch of people are willing to throw in donations to take on Amazon.

Ebeneezer Splooge
Nov 2, 2018

DevNull posted:

A bunch of people are willing to throw in donations to take on Amazon.

Target, Walmart, the list goes on.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

inkblottime posted:

Given that most of Amazon's revenue comes from outside Seattle, most of Orion's contributions are from outside the city, too.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

inkblottime posted:

EDIT: Why you making me respond to super old post. :xd: That was seriously like almost a month ago.

I didn't realize how long ago it was either and necro'd it.