Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Well I mean, what are you looking for?

Four door coupe wagon 4 cylinder age range big small what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dead Reckoning posted:

Looking for a new daily driver, currently considering Mazda 3, Ford Focus, and Honda Accord. I've been looking at reviews, and it's hard to find ones that aren't completely unhelpful or obviously paid. Anything else I should be considering, will any of those implode at 36k miles or give me AIDS?

All of those will last you 150k+ if you're not retarded with maintenance. Ford is probably the least reliable but its parts may be cheaper due to domestic car. Mazda parts are pricey sometimes, Honda are pricey and never break, or at least the core functions of a car never break in a Honda. Don't put poo poo tier 87 octane gas in it, because all three of them will get good gas mileage. Spend a little more per tank to save yourself from cracking a piston or breaking a spark plug, especially with the Mazda. It has a 13:1 compression ratio so I wouldn't put 87 octane anywhere near it.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 15, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Haven't Hondas been pretty poo poo for the last long while

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Depending on who you ask, every car has been poo poo for a while

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Honda has been off its game the past few years, but the Accord is pretty much still solid.

Have you considered Hyundai or its Kia cousin? I've had my Soul for five years now. Solid as a brick, and just as aerodynamic. I know people will poo poo on Kia all day, but I've only ever replaced oil, tires, filters and a couple of brake lamps. Almost 90k miles and it's still going on factory brakes, coolant, battery, belt, etc.

If the Soul is this drat durable, I have no doubts in their higher priced offerings. But I'd look for one with an engine sourced in Korea, a bunch of the American made ones were just recalled for lovely machining of the block.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Haven't Hondas been pretty poo poo for the last long while

They've been average. Not stand out cars by any means but at least you will avoid major overhaul problems through the factory warranty at a minimum.

They're not legendary like the early 90s Hondas you still see on the road but they'll still carry you 150k+ without major gripes.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wrt 87 octane ask me about breaking 4 plugs in my truck because of bad gas. :cripes:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Honda has been off its game the past few years, but the Accord is pretty much still solid.

Have you considered Hyundai or its Kia cousin? I've had my Soul for five years now. Solid as a brick, and just as aerodynamic. I know people will poo poo on Kia all day, but I've only ever replaced oil, tires, filters and a couple of brake lamps. Almost 90k miles and it's still going on factory brakes, coolant, battery, belt, etc.

If the Soul is this drat durable, I have no doubts in their higher priced offerings. But I'd look for one with an engine sourced in Korea, a bunch of the American made ones were just recalled for lovely machining of the block.

Why don't you just drive a filing cabinet to work then. Its just as aerodynamic and stylish.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

TBeats posted:

Depending on who you ask, every car has been poo poo for a while

Yeah this.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I will definitely put in a good word for Mazda's skyactiv mill in the Mazda 3. It's peppy and you beat the already lofty EPA miles per gallon, and their auto actually equals their manual for mpg. Right now in my mixed highway/city driving I average 36.9 mpg, which is pretty cool when you factor in the hit you take from city driving.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 15, 2017

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Well I mean, what are you looking for?

Four door coupe wagon 4 cylinder age range big small what

Four door, sedan, coupe or hatchback, less than 5 years old, $15,000-$22,000, heat/AC, power doors/windows/locks, aux input. Back up camera and heated seats are nice, but not necessary. I've driven the Mazda 3 (I didn't like the console layout, and the automatic transmission was really noticeably sluggish on the one I drove) and the Accord (no complaints, but more expensive.)

Thinking about getting the Accord Sport, which has been about the same price as the LX, for the higher trim driver's seat and seeing if I can remove the spoiler and skirt pieces.

I really just want a daily driver that gets good gas mileage and has low total cost of ownership, but isn't scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of build quality or interior trim, since I do a lot of long weekend trips to visit family.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dead Reckoning posted:

Four door, sedan, coupe or hatchback, less than 5 years old, $15,000-$22,000, heat/AC, power doors/windows/locks, aux input. Back up camera and heated seats are nice, but not necessary. I've driven the Mazda 3 (I didn't like the console layout, and the automatic transmission was really noticeably sluggish on the one I drove) and the Accord (no complaints, but more expensive.)

Thinking about getting the Accord Sport, which has been about the same price as the LX, for the higher trim driver's seat and seeing if I can remove the spoiler and skirt pieces.

I really just want a daily driver that gets good gas mileage and has low total cost of ownership, but isn't scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of build quality or interior trim, since I do a lot of long weekend trips to visit family.

Those trim pieces are installed by the dealer as an option package iirc so the dealer should be able to remove them. Weird that the auto trans was sluggish in the 3, it didn't feel appreciably worse than the manual, but I can understand the weirdness of the console layout, it took me a week or 2 to get used to all the functions being​ on a knob next to the gear shift, and the screen really should have been integrated into the dash. If you're going used there is a shitload of options in the 15-22k range.

E: for example https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...sting=175220722

The EPA will hate you for buying a Volkswagen TDI but the fuel economy is nuts. 42mpg hwy.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 15, 2017

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Dead Reckoning posted:

Looking for a new daily driver, currently considering Mazda 3, Ford Focus, and Honda Accord. I've been looking at reviews, and it's hard to find ones that aren't completely unhelpful or obviously paid. Anything else I should be considering, will any of those implode at 36k miles or give me AIDS?

Mazda 3 and the Focus are both great, can't really go wrong with either one. The Accord is overpriced and coasting off of praise from the 80s & 90s. It's not bad, but in no universe is it as good as the other two in terms of build quality, value and even styling

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

orange juche posted:

The EPA will hate you for buying a Volkswagen TDI but the fuel economy is nuts. 42mpg hwy.

Based on VW's recent history I don't believe that claimed fuel economy.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Pesticide20 posted:

Based on VW's recent history I don't believe that claimed fuel economy.

Nah the fuel economy I believe but yeah clean diesel is a lie and their emissions are horseshit (don't buy one if you live in an emissions state). That kind of fuel economy is definitely achievable without any weird tricks in a diesel as long as you aren't hauling a 7000lb truck around.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

orange juche posted:

Nah the fuel economy I believe but yeah clean diesel is a lie and their emissions are horseshit (don't buy one if you live in an emissions state). That kind of fuel economy is definitely achievable without any weird tricks in a diesel as long as you aren't hauling a 7000lb truck around.

Yup small diesels loving own

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

orange juche posted:

Why don't you just drive a filing cabinet to work then. Its just as aerodynamic and stylish.

I'm holding out for an affordable refrigerator box.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Could be like spicey and drive a podium to work

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Anyone ever owned an RSX type-s?

I wouldn't mind a WRX wagon but I'm really not sure if I can justify having AWD. I mean, it's nice to have, but all that extra gas usage and wear all the time eh. Think i'd rather something with a bit better of MPG. That boxer engine sound though :fap:

I don't think I've ever not owned a car that wasn't 10-15 years old 🤔

If you guys needed a decent commuter, had <$10k, and wanted something with a little pep, what would you get? Must be manual

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Booblord Zagats posted:

Mazda 3 and the Focus are both great, can't really go wrong with either one. The Accord is overpriced and coasting off of praise from the 80s & 90s. It's not bad, but in no universe is it as good as the other two in terms of build quality, value and even styling

This. For the money you'll get a much better car with the Ford or Mazda.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Focus RS

:getin:

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

nobody is remotely interested in anything less than msrp and none of the special pricing programs apply.

if you can, get a car with carplay/android play. it integrates your phone pretty seamlessly into the car.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

orange juche posted:

This is exactly what I have right now. It gets a consistent 36 mpg combined city/highway and feels nice to drive, but I live in California and I'm pretty sure CARB is going to sneak out into the DMV parking lot and smash it with a giant Bugs Bunny hammer the next time I try to renew my registration if I don't accept whatever gimped fix VW comes up with.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 16, 2017

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Dead Reckoning posted:

This is exactly what I have right now. It gets a consistent 36 mpg combined city/highway and feels nice to drive, but I live in California and I'm pretty sure CARB is going to sneak out into the DMV parking lot and smash it with a giant Bugs Bunny hammer the next time I try to renew my registration if I don't accept whatever gimped fix VW comes up with.

Yeah. I'm sort of in the same boat, but not in California. I like driving the car, and it's great for long trips so I've been waffling on either getting the fix and keeping it or taking the buyout.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Diesel power!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P36uqO7gFdo

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Anyone driven the Mazda 6?
The Ford Fusion is right out, we have them at work and I despise them.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dead Reckoning posted:

Anyone driven the Mazda 6?
The Ford Fusion is right out, we have them at work and I despise them.

I test drove one, they're really nice. It's a Mazda 3 but roomier and smoother with 30 more horsepower since its a larger sedan. Probably higher maximum trim level too. Also has a radar-equipped cruise control for following a car automatically at a safe distance.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 16, 2017

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

right after tax time isn't the best time to be buying cars.

but that's just my opinion.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Right after tax time outside of an Army post. Guaranteed credit approval.

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

gotta move those salvaged titles somehow

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Uh, we're literally a month past tax day. No one is having tax sales anymore.

Colorado Springs has a dodge dealer that can't move poo poo for inventory, so they cut $10k off the sticker of one of their lovely SUVs and still can't sell the pieces of poo poo. $13k for a new Dodge POS (I literally can't remember the name of the worthless thing). It's like when they were selling calibers for $1 if you paid sticker for a Ram 1500 back in 2009.

Don't buy a dodge though, for obvious reasons.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Don't buy a dodge though, for obvious reasons.

my cousin bought a dodge pickup. i'm not hip to dodge pickups but i know it was like $51,000.

she can't loving afford that poo poo but she is blessed by lovely dodge engineering and it's been in the shop so much she is going to lemon law it.

i don't know how the whole thing works but that's how it was explained to me.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Dodge has been under a lot of heat for how poo poo their trucks are for a few years now. Some for steering and suspension, lots for transmissions. They're the biggest pieces of poo poo on the road this side of China.

Sometimes, when I'm on unparalleled levels of boredom, I'll read reviews and complaints about all things new Chrysler. I always have a smile on my face after.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I dunno, aside from replacing the block due to massive PO negligence in my side-of-the-road find dodge truck I've not really had problems. That block was absolutely turbofucked though after 290k miles.

I picked the truck up for 1500 bucks, put a set of tires on it, and got 30k out of the old block, I've had a mechanic I trust look the thing over from top to bottom, and other than the engine being shot there are really no issues with it.

I wouldn't buy a Dodge from any sort of dealer because it's never going to be worth what they will charge for it, but I'm into this thing for maybe 4k plus oil, which is way cheaper than most non-garbage trucks. If I can get 180k out of this block I will consider that I got a really good deal.

Never buy a new dodge anything.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 16, 2017

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
My company buys Ram 5500's pretty much exclusively. I hate them, they are maintenance nightmares.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'll agree on that. Some old dodges are pretty boss, but we're getting back into the 80s before I'd buy one of any of their trucks, and probably not even then.

My brother has a 2005 Jeep Wrangler. I can't remember how many recalls are on it, but it's loving obscene. Last I checked I think it was over 40, of which maybe a handful were publicized. I used to give him poo poo about it because he bought the 2wd model, but that may actually have helped him because he doesn't have that much more poo poo that will go wrong with it. Now it has electrical gremlins again and he can't sell it because it's worth nothing, so at least I got a good laugh out of it.

It's to the point where he's talked about abandoning it on the family farm with all my dead great uncle's Geo Metros. At least it will be in good company with a few Chrysler 300s in the yard too.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

whelp, another $900 for my Grand Marquis.

New front rotors, brakes, 4 tires, and a new blower motor

at this point im doing it since my kid is 12 now. I'm not going to find a better first car for cheap around here, and the body is in decent condition (no rust). It can easily last until then since all I do in this one is kid pickup/dropoff and grocery store runs

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
>December

"I dunno guys a little too soon after tax day 🤔"

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

This is seriously peak comedy right here. I wish poo poo wouldn't be so PC these days, and poo poo, this was early 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dOMn83jRA0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boBsEbFgJ4k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKXFmGwislo

HE HAS A LITTLE BUCKET OF POPCORN ON HIS HEAD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt8kve-dEWE

Who was the one that had a "hated it" sticker on their miata?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I miss when David Alan Grier was funny.

• Locked thread