Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

JadaX posted:

Alright, I reached that - now to farm rifts + bounties on Torment 1? Does the shard merchant give set drops? I currently have none of the gear I need for this build.

On a seasonal character? How new are you to Diablo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
They are non season and returning after 3 years.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
There are literally zero reasons, imho, to make a NonSeasonal Character when the season is still going if your goal is "get powerful".

Playing Solo, you can be crushing T13 within 5 hours of creating a character in Season. Out of season it's gotta be like 20+

The season has two weeks left in it. My advice would be to get a PL to 70 (this should take approx 6 minutes) and then do your Journey to get your green gear.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

There are literally zero reasons, imho, to make a NonSeasonal Character when the season is still going if your goal is "get powerful".

Playing Solo, you can be crushing T13 within 5 hours of creating a character in Season. Out of season it's gotta be like 20+

The season has two weeks left in it. My advice would be to get a PL to 70 (this should take approx 6 minutes) and then do your Journey to get your green gear.

Dude.

Unrealistic goals much? 6 minutes? Are you insane?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

areyoucontagious posted:

Dude.

Unrealistic goals much? 6 minutes? Are you insane?

Not at all! You can join a T6 lobby and have someone complete 2.5 Neph Rifts to get you to 70.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
He’s right anyone who completed the Season Journey is absolutely capable of slaughtering a T6 rift by farting on their keyboard.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I have never gotten the obsession with "seasons," all it does is split the player base up and it's a band-aid for the total lack of end game content or variety in the base game. Once you've put a character to 70 and have the good set(s), which doesn't really take long, the game's done, there's no point in rolling a second monk.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
One great thing that Challenge Rifts have done is force everyone to realize how much faster it is to Speed Run a rift than kill all trash in it. People probably don't realize that you can spent 2 minutes in a rift if you wear Nemmies and just hunt elites and Shrines

dont even fink about it posted:

I have never gotten the obsession with "seasons," all it does is split the player base up and it's a band-aid for the total lack of end game content or variety in the base game. Once you've put a character to 70 and have the good set(s), which doesn't really take long, the game's done, there's no point in rolling a second monk.

It's like a 99/1 season/nonseason split so don't sweat the playerbase split too much. Apart from that, it's exactly what you described - the game plateaus in fun after about 40 hours on a character so why not just repeatedly do the Fun Part every 3 months!

I don't at all agree that the game is "done" once you've got all the sets. Have you ever gotten a 2nd copy of an item to drop and noticed it was better than the one you had equipped?

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 20, 2018

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Uh no

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I like the structured goals they give you to progress (along w/the free gear) and with the variety of builds every season I never play the same build twice.

mewse
May 2, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
If you wanted to participate in a Chicken Tendy eating contest, would you rather join Contest #14 that's starting fresh in June, or would you join the one that's been in progress for 6 years and the current leader has eaten several thousand tendies

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Not at all! You can join a T6 lobby and have someone complete 2.5 Neph Rifts to get you to 70.

Well sure, if you play with other people- like who the gently caress would ever do that (I’m so alone)

Seriously though he is right seasons are a blast. I’m a bit jaded right now but it’s fun to dip back in.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have Diablo 3 on Xbox and PC now. On PC is my try hard characters where I min/max and copy the flavor of the month builds. On Xbox is where I just chill on the couch and equip whatever has the green arrows for damage and defense, I put zero thought into anything.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

I have never gotten the Diablo games.

FIFY

For anyone who wants to roll into the new season w/ friends (or people who actively play and don't have friends) you can add me Clicksey#1928

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Yeah, it is a band-aid, which the game sorely needs. It's not ideal, but it's pretty much the only thing that makes the game remotely worth playing.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I need to manage the 350 kill chest with my DH to get the stash increase. Is it even possible solo?

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Yes it is. Especially if you are multishot dh. Look for the cursed peat. That's the best bet.

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Ok I might actually do that. Will see how far I can get tonight.

remember
Nov 23, 2006

Hopper posted:

I need to manage the 350 kill chest with my DH to get the stash increase. Is it even possible solo?

Why isn't the GR70 and the GR45 with no sets possible? Those are definitely the easier conquests this season if you don't need a third.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

wear Nemmies and just hunt elites and Shrines

nemmies are the poo poo. love nemmies.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

the game plateaus in fun after about 40 hours on a character so why not just repeatedly do the Fun Part every 3 months!

this is the only real problem I have with seasons - the conceptual admission of guilt that the game is only so much.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Yeah but what do you expect from one game that's six years old?

I've sunk hundreds of hours into this since launch and I would only reasonably expect 40 hours from a AAA title, tops

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The game is at its strongest when it's about playing around with builds using a pretty complicated set of variables (power list/power subcategories/sets/set-independent items/kanai/end-game gems). IN PRACTICE, you always eventually use the two sets that give you a 30,000% damage bonus and which the end game can't be done at all without. Getting a set component that is 0.1% more DPS than your last one is... Not a great value add.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I don't understand! But I feel like it's wrong

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I would be fine if every season they just hit a big old randomizer button that mixes up the values for all skills and item bonuses and then just let the player base figure it out from there.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Vakal posted:

I would be fine if every season they just hit a big old randomizer button that mixes up the values for all skills and item bonuses and then just let the player base figure it out from there.

This would be cool, but would still have the same end result. Just wait a week or two until the hardcore Diablo nerds figured out which items are the best.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

RCarr posted:

This would be cool, but would still have the same end result. Just wait a week or two until the hardcore Diablo nerds figured out which items are the best.

True, but it would be worth it just for the chance of the WD's Bogadile being the top grift pushing skill for a season.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The game is at its strongest when it's about playing around with builds using a pretty complicated set of variables (power list/power subcategories/sets/set-independent items/kanai/end-game gems). IN PRACTICE, you always eventually use the two sets that give you a 30,000% damage bonus and which the end game can't be done at all without. Getting a set component that is 0.1% more DPS than your last one is... Not a great value add.

Yeah the game would be way more fun if occasionally the power curve was reset so that players could find more excitement out of every upgrade rather than those .01% increases. If only..

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah the game would be way more fun if occasionally the power curve was reset so that players could find more excitement out of every upgrade rather than those .01% increases. If only..

Yes all that wonderful time spent deluding myself that I'm not just re-rolling a rasha wizard, wow what an enhanced experience

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Your "meta build" is BAD because it can only get better from 0.1% marginal upgrades

My "home brew" build is GOOD because it could get significantly more powerful by switching to a meta build

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Every time Blizzard hits that randomizer, the game will play like an average Challenge Rift, only worse, until the new meta gets figured out.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is there an example of a game that handles this kind of "wall hitting" better?

Seems like keeping things fresh ad infinitum is real difficult without new content.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 21, 2018

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Is there an example of a game that handles this kind of "wall hitting" better?

Seems like keeping things fresh ad infinitum is real difficult without new content.

The Disgaea games pretty much just let you go as ludicrously high as you want.

It would be like if every item in Diablo had its own rift that you could go into with a boss that you kill to permanently make that item better, with the boss getting tougher each time you do.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 21, 2018

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Vakal posted:

The Disgaea games pretty much just let you go as ludicrously high as you want.

It would be like if every item in Diablo had its own rift that you could go into with a boss that you kill to permanently make that item better, with the boss getting tougher each time you do.

So you set your own goals?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Indeed, imagine if you could enter progressively more difficult Greater Rifts to augment the power of your gear

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Indeed, imagine if you could enter progressively more difficult Greater Rifts to augment the power of your gear

Truly, the mind stuggles to imagine such a world. I feel like in such a system, it would be nive to occasionally let everyone voluntarily reset their characters so they can more easily mix things up and compete on a level playing field.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Sequential Eras of Adventure, Seeking Optimal Nephalem Strength

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The Disgaea solution is "you will not reach the actual endgame and if you do you'll probably just quit until the next Disgaea game comes out."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone