Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

RoboRodent posted:

Honestly, this right here is why I am still not very comfortable playing in online games with other people. The wonderful community this person is talking about existed for heterosexual cis men, but it was very hard to find outside that. I found a really lovely little community on a roleplay server for WoW pre-Cataclysm, in a guild that was very welcoming and not trying to be ultra masculine and never took itself seriously, but that's long gone, and that's the only time I've ever found anything like it.

Sometimes I get nostalgic for WoW and go to play it for a little bit, but it's all chuds yelling in the global chat now. My interest never lasts for long.

global chat has always been chuds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

call center manager posted:

I am very sorry.

Mimes aren't funny

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

hawowanlawow posted:

Sure, but the chuds themselves are worse now.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Barrens chat, more like Barrons chat these days.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

call center manager posted:

I am very sorry.

This bothers me. Good goes on top, evil on bottom. These columns are bullshit.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

me, flying through the barrens in 2006:

"George W. Bush is a good president"

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

chitoryu12 posted:

GTA Online is pretty much unplayable unless you use tools or tricks like unplugging your Internet to get yourself a private game with your friends. Every server just filled with people using trainers to fly around in invincible Hydras, or spawning explosions on every player, or teleporting you into the sky, or dropping trains and shipping containers on the roads.

Old server culture was cool. Even a lovely game like Terminator 3: War of the Machines became fun when you had good people on there.

A few years ago I played GTA V on my PS3 once for about 10 minutes and never tried again. I went through all the safety measures of getting my jailbroken console online so I wouldn't get autobanned.

The game starts and oh, this looks fun. I'm dead 3 seconds after I spawn. I respawn and that's when some guy starts yelling "n-word n-word n-word" the rest of the time I was in the game. Between the modders and idiots yelling slurs I never played GTA online again.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

hawowanlawow posted:

so like what are y'all even looking at to have so many tabs open?

I can't imagine just browsing the internet and reading random websites lol

Like half of my tabs are photography and coding reference materials. Then I have some random articles I keep meaning to get around to reading, tabs for other thing I keep meaning to follow up on, and a few for e-mail and other poo poo

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Sir Not Appearing posted:

A few years ago I played GTA V on my PS3 once for about 10 minutes and never tried again. I went through all the safety measures of getting my jailbroken console online so I wouldn't get autobanned.

The game starts and oh, this looks fun. I'm dead 3 seconds after I spawn. I respawn and that's when some guy starts yelling "n-word n-word n-word" the rest of the time I was in the game. Between the modders and idiots yelling slurs I never played GTA online again.

Still better experience than trying online only to get a non-sensical data error message and then 10+ hours later finding out that that particular error also turbofucked the story-mode save files if you were far enough on the story and didn't reboot your console before switching back to story mode from the attempted online session.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Pastry of the Year posted:

Delivering piping-hot casserole on demand

You could save a lot of time, effort and washing-up by not using the bowl.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

RoboRodent posted:

Honestly, this right here is why I am still not very comfortable playing in online games with other people. The wonderful community this person is talking about existed for heterosexual cis men, but it was very hard to find outside that. I found a really lovely little community on a roleplay server for WoW pre-Cataclysm, in a guild that was very welcoming and not trying to be ultra masculine and never took itself seriously, but that's long gone, and that's the only time I've ever found anything like it.

Sometimes I get nostalgic for WoW and go to play it for a little bit, but it's all chuds yelling in the global chat now. My interest never lasts for long.

It wasn't until much later in life that I learned how lucky I was too have such an accepting TF2 clan. They didn't stand for any poo poo and set an exceptionally high bar for gaming communities afterwards. Needless to say, only two goon gaming groups have cleared that bar since.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

RoboRodent posted:

My best online multiplayer experience was when I was working for in a games localization office - we'd have have 30+ person LAN games running every lunchtime - like, on the dot of 1 the server went up and everyone joined, - testers, leads, engineers, managers all played together for an hour or until someone senior pointed out it was like 2:15 and we really ought to get back to work. Sometimes on fridays we'd go to the pub after work then go back to the office for a few rounds of drunk shootyfuntimes. Obviously the trashtalking and rudeness was extremely limited because you actually had to work with these people when the game was over.

There is something utterly joyful about bouncing a grenade around a corner in DoD, and hearing the infuriated wailing and cursing, just beyond the partition wall, of the 6 software engineers you just obliterated :)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

As far as multiplayer goes, I mostly play co-op games like Vermintide 2 and Deep Rock Galactic these days. Most people are pretty chill, the biggest problem is usually when teammates don't communicate at all. I rarely have these issues that goons are describing.

Worst recent experience I've had was Mordhau, on half the servers you would get a non-stop deluge of 4chan garbage

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Clitch posted:

OneTab

It's OK, tab packrats. There are ways to help. We can get better.

:chloe:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Clitch posted:

OneTab

It's OK, tab packrats. There are ways to help. We can get better.

But then you can't see them all spread across your screen in their one-pixel-wide glory :(

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Ignite Memories posted:

If you didn't experience the home server culture of tf2 et al you missed out. So much better

I had that with Tribes 2 and a server that ran some weird mod with like 8 or 9 different classes.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

hawowanlawow posted:

yeah the lost continents ruled

LC and the Crit Sandvich servers were greatest game communities I've ever found.

Outside of being on Turk and Dorky's teams in sub.io Goonmans.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

AHHHHHHHHH :3:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Opened tabs is the 2020 version of saved files on your desktop.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

2020 bitch loving please those jokes were being made in 2008

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

lmao if you have one tab open for longer than a day or even one notification. Get on my ocd level, you probably don't make you bed in the morning either.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

d3lness posted:

It wasn't until much later in life that I learned how lucky I was too have such an accepting TF2 clan. They didn't stand for any poo poo and set an exceptionally high bar for gaming communities afterwards. Needless to say, only two goon gaming groups have cleared that bar since.

Back when I played MechWarrior Online with goons we'd teamkill for homophobia, racism, etc. We never suffered any consequences. Whether that's because context made it clear we were justified, or because the game had no report feature and no one was willing to send an email is unclear.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Kit Walker posted:

Like half of my tabs are photography and coding reference materials. Then I have some random articles I keep meaning to get around to reading, tabs for other thing I keep meaning to follow up on, and a few for e-mail and other poo poo

Sure is a shame browser developers haven't figured out a way to save links for later in an organized way.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

kiimo posted:

lmao if you have one tab open for longer than a day or even one notification. Get on my ocd level, you probably don't make you bed in the morning either.

Why make my bed when I'm just going to go cry in it again later?

Kyyrewyyoae
Jul 20, 2007

Vae debilibus!
Re:TabChat

Check out Auto Tab Discard for Firefox. It keeps the tabs open but discards the contents until the next time you click on it to save memory.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Or close the tab when you're done with it. Insane concept I know.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

the last multiplayer game i played was cs on lan in 2001 :corsair:

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

hawowanlawow posted:

Global and Trade get turned off immediately everytime I decide to reinstall WOW.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Is Trade still full of chinese gold sellers, or did WoW Tokens finally kill that off?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Speaking of "home servers" and game groups: I miss Party Princess Palace.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/scienceshitpost/status/1235659984203116549

tag urself im dish face

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im frog face

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Kwyndig posted:

Is Trade still full of chinese gold sellers, or did WoW Tokens finally kill that off?

The new hotness is selling power leveling services, as if leveling in the modern game is in the slightest bit difficult.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

hey, neat, a schooner

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Just tell me if it's Loss or not.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:unsmith:

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

hey, neat, a schooner

You dumb bastard. It’s not a schooner, it’s a sailboat!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Detective No. 27 posted:

Just tell me if it's Loss or not.

It's not

hello, old friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Thaddius the Large posted:

You dumb bastard. It’s not a schooner, it’s a sailboat!

A schooner is a sailboat, stupid :rolleyes: