Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
my altbau is still nice and warm, hovering around 21 degrees without any heizung whatsoever #altbaulife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

GABA ghoul posted:

Just found out that the low battery fail state of a tado smart heizungsthermostat is to open the heizungsventil all the loving way up and scream YOLO. My heizung has been running full blast all day today and possibly yesterday too or even longer. :chloe:

Mods please rename me gas ghoul. Also never get a loving tado, engineering wise this is the dumbest poo poo imaginable. The batteries are always gonna be low in autumn when heizungsperiode starts and people are sometimes away on multi weeks vacations.

e: also please don't judge me on the smart thermostat, the ventil is in a very bad place and changing it by hand is a major unternehmen

e: also, I'm probably out of 30k € now

Thank you

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

nawilo_420 posted:

my altbau is still nice and warm, hovering around 21 degrees without any heizung whatsoever #altbaulife

I have 23 degree in my room, since my pc does some heating. That still feels to cold tbh.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
hang people who turn on the heating but wear t-shirts indoors imho. hang their families too if they are wearing shorts

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I am wearing a T-shirt and shorts inside, and I have a window open. The heating is off.

People need to toughen up a bit imo

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Netatmo low power mode is to keep the last state on valves and thermostats so if battery goes off(it will nag forever to replace batteries, via app and email) it might stay open.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

That still feels to cold tbh.

I'm sorry, but you are probably not gonna make it through this winter. Goodbye friend :sadwave:

SlowBloke posted:

Netatmo low power mode is to keep the last state on valves and thermostats so if battery goes off(it will nag forever to replace batteries, via app and email) it might stay open.

Yeah, I had the control station off through summer because it was completely useless. The thermostat would probably have send a low battery notification if it could. Still, "let er' rip" should never be the fail behavior of anything. Not on heizungsthermostate or car engines. (Maybe on hospital ventilators, but I'm not an expert)

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

GABA ghoul posted:

Yeah, I had the control station off through summer because it was completely useless. The thermostat would probably have send a low battery notification if it could. Still, "let er' rip" should never be the fail behavior of anything. Not on heizungsthermostate or car engines. (Maybe on hospital ventilators, but I'm not an expert)

Valves are a motorized item, if it has zero power it cannot unwind the arm to shut them down. Same for the thermostat, if the relay goes on, it require power to change state. Going "if low power kill everything" would end up with frozen grandmas due to inability of checking the system state/ignoring notifications.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

SlowBloke posted:

Valves are a motorized item, if it has zero power it cannot unwind the arm to shut them down. Same for the thermostat, if the relay goes on, it require power to change state. Going "if low power kill everything" would end up with frozen grandmas due to inability of checking the system state/ignoring notifications.

I know. I set it to OFF through manual override sometimes this spring and literally haven't touched it since then. I wouldn't have been surprised otherwise. At some point in the last few months it actively opened the valve and then died. I noticed today because they turned on the heat at some point in the last few days.

The proper way to implement a frostschutz is to have a separate mechanism that doesn't require power. It's not to turn the apartment/house into an backing oven every time the batteries die. Frost in housing due to a single failing thermostat is a very rare edgecase in TYOOL 2022 anyway. If people really need a solution for this for their one room Ferienhouse or whatever, just make a separate products with that functionality.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

GABA ghoul posted:

At some point in the last few months it actively opened the valve and then died.

Oh, I know what happened then. Most smart valves do a calibration cycle every few months to check what operational interval it need to store in memory and to avoid the engine getting sticky and failing. It must have gone to zero battery during that phase.

GABA ghoul posted:

Frost in housing due to a single failing thermostat is a very rare edgecase in TYOOL 2022 anyway.

Every apartment with central heating pumped to the floor and controlled by a thermostat falls in that scenario. Number is sizable, not edge case. My flat runs that way, if the thermostat is down in closed state in winter the whole abode goes arctic circle pretty fast.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

GABA ghoul posted:

Just found out that the low battery fail state of a tado smart heizungsthermostat is to open the heizungsventil all the loving way up and scream YOLO. My heizung has been running full blast all day today and possibly yesterday too or even longer. :chloe:

Mods please rename me gas ghoul. Also never get a loving tado, engineering wise this is the dumbest poo poo imaginable. The batteries are always gonna be low in autumn when heizungsperiode starts and people are sometimes away on multi weeks vacations.

e: also please don't judge me on the smart thermostat, the ventil is in a very bad place and changing it by hand is a major unternehmen

e: also, I'm probably out of 30k € now

Oh poo poo. Was looking into that stuff and now I'm reconsidering.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Tarquinn posted:

Oh poo poo. Was looking into that stuff and now I'm reconsidering.

Having owned a netatmo for the best part of a decade, you just need to set up the programming and temperature triggers fine, along with checking batteries yearly. My netatmo valves last 6-8 months as I have a strict hysteresis programming rather than letting the thermo guess, since I need to kill them during the night as the central heating shuts down and it would make it run the water pump needlessly, wasting euros. It need tinkering esp if your heating system is managed by others.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 18, 2022

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

SlowBloke posted:

Having owned a netatmo for the best part of a decade, you just need to set up the programming and temperature triggers fine, along with checking batteries yearly. My netatmo valves last 6-8 months as I have a strict hysteresis programming rather than letting the thermo guess, since I need to kill them during the night as the central heating shuts down and it would make it run the water pump needlessly, wasting euros. It need tinkering esp if your heating system is managed by others.

Would you recommend them? Are they actually an upgrade worth the money?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Tarquinn posted:

Would you recommend them? Are they actually an upgrade worth the money?

It depends. Netatmo for instance doesn't do geofencing (kill heating when nobody is at home) natively but can be interfaced with apple HomeKit to run those duties. Also it relies on connectivity for operation, no internet and you will have to manually open/close the valves outside their current programming. If you don't have a smart HVAC, tado let you cover heating and cooling under the same umbrella, something that netatmo cannot.

Parts are generally expensive but gets heavily discounted on Black Friday.

Overall it's a nice add but not as impressive as smart lighting or motorized blinds.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

GABA ghoul posted:

I'm sorry, but you are probably not gonna make it through this winter. Goodbye friend :sadwave:

Looks like it, yeah. I already feel miserable with this damp cold and the ever appearing Durchzug.

I'll try to survive until Christmas and have a final celbration with the family, I guess.

Maybe there's actually something medically wrong with my circulation. My feet especially.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 18, 2022

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Eve Thermos does it’s thing without connectivity and runs over Bluetooth mesh, they’re pretty reliable (had them as lights for a couple years), and I’m curious how well they work for heating, first heating season coming up :grovertoot:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

SlowBloke posted:

It depends. Netatmo for instance doesn't do geofencing (kill heating when nobody is at home) natively but can be interfaced with apple HomeKit to run those duties. Also it relies on connectivity for operation, no internet and you will have to manually open/close the valves outside their current programming. If you don't have a smart HVAC, tado let you cover heating and cooling under the same umbrella, something that netatmo cannot.

Parts are generally expensive but gets heavily discounted on Black Friday.

Overall it's a nice add but not as impressive as smart lighting or motorized blinds.

Thanks. :tipshat:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

SlowBloke posted:

Every apartment with central heating pumped to the floor and controlled by a thermostat falls in that scenario. Number is sizable, not edge case. My flat runs that way, if the thermostat is down in closed state in winter the whole abode goes arctic circle pretty fast.

I'm genuinely surprised. Are you ungedämmt altbau dachdweller? I had all radiators off for multiple days this winter during ~0°C weather and I don't think the room temperature ever dropped below 16°C. I'm second-hand heated enough from other apartments + Treppenhaus around me. I also think that if all doors are open, a single radiator on frostschutz could protect the whole apartment(but, yeah, that's very Raumplan-dependent and not true for every apartment)

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

GABA ghoul posted:

I'm genuinely surprised. Are you ungedämmt altbau dachdweller? I had all radiators off for multiple days this winter during ~0°C weather and I don't think the room temperature ever dropped below 16°C. I'm second-hand heated enough from other apartments + Treppenhaus around me. I also think that if all doors are open, a single radiator on frostschutz could protect the whole apartment(but, yeah, that's very Raumplan-dependent and not true for every apartment)

House is mostly drywall and windows so there is not much in the way of keeping heat inside, one of the few times the netatmo failed to trigger we got in the low digits.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Having been both in Naples and Athens, I understand their choices.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Urk makes a lot of sense. A lot.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

I wonder how they made that and when (But not enough to do a minute of research.) How would the consensus be to be ashamed of Ludwigshafen? There's barely anything there! They probably asked a bunch of Berliners who could not admit their cities eternal shame.
Also Ukraine feeling shame for Kherson is a bit grim nowadays.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

i just saw someone glue this to a lamppost, went over to see what it was, and wasn't disappointed

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Dunno, Oktoberfest just looks like good, clean fun with the guys that you just won't forget for a while.

https://i.imgur.com/evKDKTG.mp4

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Huh, now I'm actually quite interested in installing some fancy automated thermostats. Mine are old as gently caress and I often run into the issue where setting ~3 usually ends up overheating the room (especially when I'm in there working with the PC running) whereas ~2.5 or less has it end up cooling down too much.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Perestroika posted:

Huh, now I'm actually quite interested in installing some fancy automated thermostats. Mine are old as gently caress and I often run into the issue where setting ~3 usually ends up overheating the room (especially when I'm in there working with the PC running) whereas ~2.5 or less has it end up cooling down too much.

Netatmo lets you move the control logic from the thermostat to the valves so it will keep that room at a specific temperature, triggering the thermostat if needed(it's not the default behavior, it's called comfort mode).

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

cant cook creole bream posted:

I wonder how they made that and when (But not enough to do a minute of research.) How would the consensus be to be ashamed of Ludwigshafen? There's barely anything there! They probably asked a bunch of Berliners who could not admit their cities eternal shame.
Also Ukraine feeling shame for Kherson is a bit grim nowadays.

Iirc, it was literally one r/AskReddit thread. Not a poll, just one person who answered in the entire thread.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

SlowBloke posted:

House is mostly drywall and windows so there is not much in the way of keeping heat inside, one of the few times the netatmo failed to trigger we got in the low digits.

A house made out of drywall? That doesn't sound right. Wait a second, are there non-German people itt? I thought we were among ourselves here. Please don't tell anyone about our shelf toilets and our infatuation with the taste of poo poo. These are national secrets

Perestroika posted:

When they work they are really nice. Put a thermometer in the middle of the room, set up a heating schedule on the app and forget about it. Override the schedule with the press of a button in the app nach bedarf. Never have to touch the thermostats again. The tado ones have open window detection and will shut the valves during Lüften automatically.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

e: posting accident, please ignore

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

GABA ghoul posted:

A house made out of drywall? That doesn't sound right. Wait a second, are there non-German people itt? I thought we were among ourselves here. Please don't tell anyone about our shelf toilets and our infatuation with the taste of poo poo. These are national secrets

A good buddy recently relocated into Berlin so, since asking him about what the gently caress is going on there is like pulling teeth, I sometimes read this thread.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Ludwigshafen certainly is a solid choice here, I would also have submitted Heilbronn, but I really feel that any answer that isn't Berlin is akin to Strafvereitelung

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

nawilo_420 posted:

i just saw someone glue this to a lamppost, went over to see what it was, and wasn't disappointed

Now I want to see what "Natürlicher Elektrosmog" would be like

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Are you guys incapable of turning the knob on a Heizung? What is this app controlled thermometer bullshit. Oh my wifi crapped out so my house turned into an oven and all the plants died

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Dude I said it works sans internet. Or maybe I didn’t, anyway it does, and if internet craps out we‘ll all die anyway

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Simply Simon posted:

Are you guys incapable of turning the knob on a Heizung? What is this app controlled thermometer bullshit. Oh my wifi crapped out so my house turned into an oven and all the plants died

In my case, since my Heizung has a manual electrical burner to start the pilot light to start the fire with, a malfunction of some sort of control-app would probably result in the entire house exploding

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Zwille posted:

Dude I said it works sans internet. Or maybe I didn’t, anyway it does, and if internet craps out we‘ll all die anyway
Yeah I don't believe you. I played noted documentary games Mega Man battle network

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zwille posted:

I'd be more concerned about your home WiFi-crapping out, that doesn't run on elves either, you know

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

We are all idoits so installing a thermostat in the Bad that automagically turns off the Heizung when the window is opened saved us quite a bit of money :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
People who can afford Tagesblichtbäder probably do not have to worry about Heizkosten either. :shrug: