Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
In non boring news I'm happy to have finally tried Lisboa and wow, what an amazingly done game. It's complex as hell but has a very clear internal flow. It's not really complicated, but everything affects everything else which makes it challenging to learn and teach because no element is an island.

Great marriage of theme and mechanics. Reading the designer's notes on how it all reflects the reconstruction of the city is neat as hell.

The clergy and decrees I can't help but feel are a bit overdone with such a huge number of different tiles that need their own index in a multi page player aid, but that's just a first impression. By the time the game ended I had managed to do maybe half of what I think I wanted, if that :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mister Sinewave posted:

In non boring news I'm happy to have finally tried Lisboa and wow, what an amazingly done game. It's complex as hell but has a very clear internal flow. It's not really complicated, but everything affects everything else which makes it challenging to learn and teach because no element is an island.

Great marriage of theme and mechanics. Reading the designer's notes on how it all reflects the reconstruction of the city is neat as hell.

The clergy and decrees I can't help but feel are a bit overdone with such a huge number of different tiles that need their own index in a multi page player aid, but that's just a first impression. By the time the game ended I had managed to do maybe half of what I think I wanted, if that :haw:

The best part is that you'll do it all in no more than 13 turns. It draws from Vinhos in that regard, much as it draws from The Gallerist in other respects.

I like Lisboa a lot, but as you say the complexity of the tiles detracts from the cleanness of the play. The Gallerist is the better game and there's daylight between.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

CodfishCartographer posted:

I'm looking for a good coop mystery solving game. I've heard generally good things about Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, but I dunno if something better has come along since then. (or if the translation mistakes that hosed with the game have been fixed) Any advice for what to go with? Preferrably something that plays decently with 4 players.

Friends of mine swear by Gumshoe (I think) witch looked to have a similar flavour to SHCD but be a little more complex with a noir flavour.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

CodfishCartographer posted:

I'm looking for a good coop mystery solving game. I've heard generally good things about Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, but I dunno if something better has come along since then. (or if the translation mistakes that hosed with the game have been fixed) Any advice for what to go with? Preferrably something that plays decently with 4 players.

Seconding the Space Cowboys / Asmodee edition with the magnifying glass on the cover. I have played through one of the cases which was supposed to be broken, and we didn't notice anything wrong.

At the same point, if you have exactly four players you could try Witness. It's basically the children's game of 'Telephone' expanded into a deduction game. I haven't played it myself, but it is fairly well regarded even with a restrictive player count and niche audience probably hurting its popularity.

SUSD has a review as well, if you're interested.

minema
May 31, 2011
I'm interested in buying Near and Far, I've seen it's had mixed reviews so far but if my group loved Above and Below would it be a solid buy? We're excited for the idea of character development mixed with Above and Below, pretty much.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Apology accepted. Not apologizing for participating in the derail however, I think it's important that the issue be discussed, just not all the time.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
CAH is a bad game regardless of all the stupid humor for 12 year old boys. Don’t play it.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Finally got a chance to play the game I kickstarted Sunset over Water. I was expecting it to be super chill, but it's more competitive than I estimated. Not very in depth, but a good game to play in between heavier faire.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
After a year of playing Viticulture and Tuscany into the ground, I finally bought Istanbul on a whim, and wow it is absolutely fantastic. Viticulture stayed fresh for a surprisingly long time, but the combination of the very streamlined engine that powers the game, and the limited selection of actions you can take per season meant that the "ideal" strategy seemed to emerge after only 6-7 play-throughs. Someone a few pages back posted a "formula" to winning, and while I don't take the exact same approach, I think it speaks to the limitation of its design that after X many plays, you do tend to start winnowing your options down into one specific strategy. And when the other person at the table is aiming for that same thing, it gets a little stale.

Istanbul gave me such a jolt halfway through my first game. I can't quite express what it is about it that makes it so charming, but I can tell this is going to be a longtime favorite. Despite the mediocre reviews for the two expansions, its going to take a lot of restraint to avoid purchasing them at some point. Now if only I could find a way to stop my spouse from annihilating me every single time :(

Also picked up Azul which has proved very fun, but like Patchwork, I can tell I have to be prudent about not overplaying it too much because I do think it will get a little old after some time.

I played one round of Forbidden Island for the first time last night at a friend's house, and found it sort of fun. It was a bit surreal to know exactly how to play the game after only having the game explained to me for 15 seconds based on the rules for Pandemic being ingrained in me. I thought it was fun, and I've enjoyed Flashpoint as well, but I do wish the designers could be slightly less derivative. There's limitless options out there! Why waste everyone's time re-skinning Pandemic?

edit: A sidenote on Patchwork: why on Earth did this game get packaged with cardboard buttons instead of real buttons?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Can we talk about something less divisive, like how much we all enjoy Munchkin?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Played 2 player Spirit Island last night and I thought it went pretty well. We were lightning and nightmare spirits and we won on the training wheels opening game while in Terror II.

What helped for my wife and me is that we play a bit of co op mage knight so we were able to get into the moving pieces quickly. I think at 4 players it might get a bit hectic though. 2 is great though. I do like how deterministic it is so we can really focus on important areas. Can’t wait to play again.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Nephzinho posted:

i remember playing munchkin (i was a freshman and dumb) with a woman who didn't know poo poo about fantasy rpg stereotypes and could not understand what anyone was laughing at

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So Wir Sind Das Volk says you cannot trace paths through affected broken infrastructure, but the example below that says you can if the connection isn’t going through that region. What :psyduck:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

Istanbul gave me such a jolt halfway through my first game. I can't quite express what it is about it that makes it so charming, but I can tell this is going to be a longtime favorite. Despite the mediocre reviews for the two expansions, its going to take a lot of restraint to avoid purchasing them at some point. Now if only I could find a way to stop my spouse from annihilating me every single time :(

Mocha & Baksheesh is not mediocre at all, it's an excellent expansion that you should add in once your strategies start to feel a bit stale. Don't have Letters & Seals though, that one I do hear more mixed things about.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Chill la Chill posted:

So Wir Sind Das Volk says you cannot trace paths through affected broken infrastructure, but the example below that says you can if the connection isn’t going through that region. What :psyduck:

I don't understand what you mean by "trace paths".

You can't put down any connections (or factories) in a province that has mass unrest. A connection is only considered to be "in" a province if it is attached to a city in that province, so there are a few places on the map where a connection appears to be in a province, but mechanically is not. For example, the connection between Köln and Frankfurt visually passes through Rheinland-Pfalz; according to the rules, it is only considered to be in the provinces Nordrhein-Westphalen and Hessen.

Does that help?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Krazyface posted:

I don't understand what you mean by "trace paths".

You can't put down any connections (or factories) in a province that has mass unrest. A connection is only considered to be "in" a province if it is attached to a city in that province, so there are a few places on the map where a connection appears to be in a province, but mechanically is not. For example, the connection between Köln and Frankfurt visually passes through Rheinland-Pfalz; according to the rules, it is only considered to be in the provinces Nordrhein-Westphalen and Hessen.

Does that help?

Ok the latter is what it probably means. The example on bottom middle of page 4 shows Sachsen region so I thought they were trying to show an example of a path running from Thuringen-Brandenburg by way of Sachsen.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I played Vast last night and I'm pretty sure I like that game in principle even though I had a miserable game of it. I should really not play it with the players I played with (or at least one of them)

It went over reasonably well but the game ended up taking 3 hours due to people just durdling their turns. The cave also spent the early game just feeding the Knight intentionally and straight up said he was trying to make the Knight win which is just the worst. He ended up turning against him though later and basically played out the cave correctly and managed to win which hey, glad the early feeding turned into an actual winning strategy even if it was on accident. Still basically the cave is an rear end in a top hat and I hate playing games with him but I'm not the one hosting the game night and he ends up getting invited a lot so it's not my choice.

So I guess it turned out alright even if the game was long and painful.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

Ok the latter is what it probably means. The example on bottom middle of page 4 shows Sachsen region so I thought they were trying to show an example of a path running from Thuringen-Brandenburg by way of Sachsen.

What that example is illustrating is that the two CSSR factories have connections that pass through but aren't actually in Sachsen.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Jewmanji posted:

After a year of playing Viticulture and Tuscany into the ground, I finally bought Istanbul on a whim, and wow it is absolutely fantastic. Viticulture stayed fresh for a surprisingly long time, but the combination of the very streamlined engine that powers the game, and the limited selection of actions you can take per season meant that the "ideal" strategy seemed to emerge after only 6-7 play-throughs. Someone a few pages back posted a "formula" to winning, and while I don't take the exact same approach, I think it speaks to the limitation of its design that after X many plays, you do tend to start winnowing your options down into one specific strategy. And when the other person at the table is aiming for that same thing, it gets a little stale.

Also picked up Azul which has proved very fun, but like Patchwork, I can tell I have to be prudent about not overplaying it too much because I do think it will get a little old after some time.

I played one round of Forbidden Island for the first time last night at a friend's house, and found it sort of fun. It was a bit surreal to know exactly how to play the game after only having the game explained to me for 15 seconds based on the rules for Pandemic being ingrained in me. I thought it was fun, and I've enjoyed Flashpoint as well, but I do wish the designers could be slightly less derivative. There's limitless options out there! Why waste everyone's time re-skinning Pandemic?

edit: A sidenote on Patchwork: why on Earth did this game get packaged with cardboard buttons instead of real buttons?

I can play forbidden island is very much kids pandemic. Which isn't bad if you have kids. Non-gamers I've showed it to are always amazed at how fun it is. It's a great into into pandemic. If you get a chance check out Forbidden Desert. It is Not a reskin, while still similar it has more factors to control and is much much harder. You can lose it real easy if you aren't careful.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Glagha posted:

I played Vast last night and I'm pretty sure I like that game in principle even though I had a miserable game of it. I should really not play it with the players I played with (or at least one of them)

It went over reasonably well but the game ended up taking 3 hours due to people just durdling their turns. The cave also spent the early game just feeding the Knight intentionally and straight up said he was trying to make the Knight win which is just the worst. He ended up turning against him though later and basically played out the cave correctly and managed to win which hey, glad the early feeding turned into an actual winning strategy even if it was on accident. Still basically the cave is an rear end in a top hat and I hate playing games with him but I'm not the one hosting the game night and he ends up getting invited a lot so it's not my choice.

So I guess it turned out alright even if the game was long and painful.

I think the cave is the easiest character at first, because all you have to do to win is not have any other player be especially good. Once you actually get to understand how the game flows it becomes a lot better, and harder for cave to do dumb poo poo like that and still win. I think the knight is actually the hardest to win with though, so boosting her early is actually probably a decent strategy as cave to level it out.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

SettingSun posted:

Welp I bought it. drat these miniatures look good. For the record the FLGS in question is the new Miniature Market retail store in St. Louis. Apparently you can get online prices right in the store, do in store only deals (like this one) and even do next day pickup from the online storefront.

I have two questions.

1) Are you still able to get a copy from the store for $90?
2) If so, would it cost less than $30 to ship a copy to me?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Folks, I'm using some of my leftover wood stain from my floors to finally make myself a nice little dice tray. End me.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nephzinho posted:

Munchkin is old news, the new hot thing is Adventure Time Fluxx:

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Jewmanji posted:

As said above by someone else, 'Mocha' is an excellent expansion, almost a must-buy for me if you enjoy the base game. Here's some things I wrote about both expansions a while back in this thread:

Merauder posted:

I finally picked up the first expansion for Istanbul from Rüdiger Dorn/AEG.

I already really, really liked the original game as a light-to-middle weight euro style game, but the Mocha & Baksheesh expansion makes it even better. Adds another row of game board tiles expanding the distance between spaces and in turn increasing the need to be strategic in how you move around since you're at greater risk of running out of actions and needing to spend a turn resetting. The new coffee resource you can collect adds a bunch of new interesting options for strategies to earn the game-winning rubies, and various other really cool new strategic mechanics (such as a barrier you can place which prevents other players only from moving through, or new special tiles that grant you new movement options, or various financial bonuses, etc.). There's a new card type called Guild cards which, when played, take your entire turn (no moving your stack at all), but are basically amped up versions of the other locations of the board (for example, sell 3 goods for $15, which is a far better ratio than either of the traditional Market spaces normally offer). A couple of them are really powerful so I'm considering relegating the Guild Hall space with these cards to a corner location of the modular board only in the future, but it is a random draw, so probably not THAT important.

All in all it doesn't ramp up the complexity much, I think it still sits comfortably in a middle-weight category at it's heaviest, but if the base game was a 7 or 8, I think the expansion easily brings it up to a 9 for me. Definitely recommend.

Merauder posted:

I've played a couple games with Letters & Seals now. Istanbul is among my favorite games, especially with the inclusion of Mocha which I feel is practically a mandatory addition to the game. L&S I don't feel is nearly as important as M&B, but I do enjoy some of what it offers.

One of the big appeals of M&B for me was the extension of the game grid, and in that way L&S offers more tiles so you can play with a huge 5x5 area. If you really want to expand the possible paths to victory and/or really love Istanbul (and already have M&B), that's the best reason I can suggest getting L&S for.

The new features aren't bad though. A big thing is the inclusion of a new Companion pawn which can be eventually spawned on the board by each player, and gives you the option of moving either your Merchant stack or the Companion; the difference being the Companion can only move a single space (not the 1-2 that the Merchant moves), but otherwise acts in all the same ways as your Merchant. This can be very useful in the big 5x5 games to help you cover more of the board with fewer necessary moves, or to "block" a space by leaving your Companion somewhere important like the Wainwright, forcing players to always have to pay you to use that space. I'm not sure how well the Companion would play out with a smaller 4x5 game (IE, playing without M&B which I haven't tried yet).

The pick up & deliver system is sort of interesting, but honestly in the couple games I've played with it I personally haven't used it much. It has seemed that one person sort of honed in on it and tries to capitalize on it, similar to how the coffee works out usually in M&B, but can be tougher to use well since you can't plan around what location you're going to have to deliver to.

The other couple new spaces add some interesting player interactive spaces where you do either a face-up draft of some new tiles for free bonuses, or do a one-time turn order bid for buying 2x Bonus cards. Again both weren't used a lot in my couple games, but with the M&B stuff in play it seems a lot more straight forward paths to victory are there, and those spaces became options for players only out of necessity and less because they were planning for them. Again I haven't tried playing L&S without M&B, which I think would have a very different feel. I'm just not sure about playing the game without M&B since I'm incredibly fond of everything it adds.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Cards against humanity is funny and good

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Over There posted:

Cards against humanity is funny and good

I can only assume you're trolling after the last 4 pages. There is your acknowledgement. Goodbye.

So much Spirit Island and Gloomhaven in my life right now. Co-ops be good, guys.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I really hope I can snag a copy of the Gloomhaven reprint. Board games are way cool and I like playing them, I just wish I had friends on this side of town.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Session Report: played Roll for the Galaxy twice with the wife. The first game I handily beat her because she didn't get set up well with planets early enough and was pretty cash poor for the first hald a dozen rounds. She immediately wanted to play again. I went for a heavy Consume based strategy trying to use up the VP chips and she wrecked me.

Much more of a brain burn than what we usually play competitively (CoB and Dominion) but very fun.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
ZMan removed Arboretum from it's "upcoming reprint" list completely after it was there for like the past year. I was told by a rep that it would be at Gencon, then at Gencon that they would have it to retailers by the end of the month, now this. I assume some kind of licensing issue or something but ugh, I know a ton of people want a copy and it looks to be in production limbo.

https://www.zmangames.com/en/upcoming/

Also, anyone have thoughts on Akrotiri? Looks pretty intriguing.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Had a gaming session recently:

Tulip Bubble isn't particularly well known or even well scored on BGG, but so far, in my last two plays with two different groups, everyone at the table loved it. It's a very tidy little market speculation game based (of course) on the real life Tulip Mania. The mechanisms are easily grasped, the market mechanisms work logically and there's lots of different avenues you can follow to try and squeeze some money before the market collapses. It's a great, highly interactive euro, and I really think it's getting a raw deal on BGG at the moment.

Automobile - i.e. the quite old Martin Wallace economic game. Still a stone cold classic after all these years. So many different ways to interact with the market and to compete with other players. A real brain burner. I'm going to dig this out some more.

Spirit Island is a game I'm yet to play properly. I screwed up the build rules, so have been stomped in my two solo attempts, and when I finally played four player, I replaced a player who had to leave, and they had forgotten to spill a blight when placing a second blight in a space. One day I'll play it right :lol:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The End posted:

Had a gaming session recently:

Tulip Bubble isn't particularly well known or even well scored on BGG, but so far, in my last two plays with two different groups, everyone at the table loved it. It's a very tidy little market speculation game based (of course) on the real life Tulip Mania. The mechanisms are easily grasped, the market mechanisms work logically and there's lots of different avenues you can follow to try and squeeze some money before the market collapses. It's a great, highly interactive euro, and I really think it's getting a raw deal on BGG at the moment.

I've wanted to play tulip bubble since learning of its existence.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

ZMan removed Arboretum from it's "upcoming reprint" list completely after it was there for like the past year. I was told by a rep that it would be at Gencon, then at Gencon that they would have it to retailers by the end of the month, now this. I assume some kind of licensing issue or something but ugh, I know a ton of people want a copy and it looks to be in production limbo.

https://www.zmangames.com/en/upcoming/

gently caress you zman gently caress YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

So Cthulhu Wars is pretty neat. Surprisingly simple and even for a first play with four people only took about 90 minutes. That is really impressive.

Some Numbers posted:

I have two questions.

1) Are you still able to get a copy from the store for $90?
2) If so, would it cost less than $30 to ship a copy to me?

Dunno the duration of their in store only deals but the shipping on a box that size and weight wouldn't come cheap. You'll probably get a more favorable rate just ordering from the site which has it for $120 since that qualifies for free shipping.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The End posted:

Automobile - i.e. the quite old Martin Wallace economic game. Still a stone cold classic after all these years. So many different ways to interact with the market and to compete with other players. A real brain burner. I'm going to dig this out some more.
Played this with three and I like how much it does with such a limited number of actions per player. I played against two newbies and managed to win without closing any factories, which was a first for me. You really need to evaluate if closing a factory is worth it or not, it's a critical skill

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

SettingSun posted:

Dunno the duration of their in store only deals but the shipping on a box that size and weight wouldn't come cheap. You'll probably get a more favorable rate just ordering from the site which has it for $120 since that qualifies for free shipping.

That's precisely why my question was posed that way. I was trying to see if I could shave a few $$ off.

I'll just hope they still have that price up when I get paid in a few days.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

sonatinas posted:

Played 2 player Spirit Island last night and I thought it went pretty well. We were lightning and nightmare spirits and we won on the training wheels opening game while in Terror II.
Played it for the first time with 2 and we bounced off pretty hard. I think the problem was we used the suggested power progression cards and were Earth and River spirits so we just had boring powers for ages. I think the power progression really does the game a disservice, as you need the options to try and cover spirit weaknesses, and especially the earth spirit who is defensive for most of the first part of the game and who wants to go straight into major powers. And we had basically zero fear generation so we called it after the first tier 3 card. We're going to play again with lightning and shadow because that combo looks very potent, but playing with the normal power rules.

Tarandis
Jun 16, 2012

hoiyes posted:

Played it for the first time with 2 and we bounced off pretty hard. I think the problem was we used the suggested power progression cards and were Earth and River spirits so we just had boring powers for ages. I think the power progression really does the game a disservice, as you need the options to try and cover spirit weaknesses, and especially the earth spirit who is defensive for most of the first part of the game and who wants to go straight into major powers. And we had basically zero fear generation so we called it after the first tier 3 card. We're going to play again with lightning and shadow because that combo looks very potent, but playing with the normal power rules.

The power progression cards make things simpler and also have pretty good elements (possibly better than you'll get through drawing), but I do agree that you should swap to drawing after a game or two.

Earth does suffer a bit from not getting to pull more major powers earlier, but it can still handle the tutorial difficulty easily. Sacred site (defend 3) plus Dahan will take out one of the ravages every turn, and one of your other powers can deal with the other ravage.

The key with River is that your four starting cards can activate the third tier of your innate power. So once you get to four card plays, you can drop all four, wipe out a single location, and then reclaim and repeat the next turn (adding more minor/major powers as it makes sense). You can do that by turn 4 or 5 - in the meantime, just focus on pushing or gathering things into the location you plan on eventually hitting with your innate. I haven't found River's first couple power progression cards to be particularly useful. Tsunami, though, owns.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

Only played it once, but quite enjoyed it. 2p market games are difficult, with the exploring it works very well.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

ZMan removed Arboretum from it's "upcoming reprint" list completely after it was there for like the past year.

Whyyyyyyyyyy? This is my number one reprint tiny game I wanted. The secondary market was already nuts, this will make it tailspin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Bottom Liner posted:

It's clever and I like it. Puzzling out the map/exploration stuff is pretty satisfying, but it's also slow and quiet. It was heavier than I was expecting based on the box.