Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Bum the Sad posted:

Please stop obsessing about skin color it's really creepy.

Anyway yeah it is. Pushing boundaries and making people uncomfortable is one of the foundations of humor.

Seriously.
Don't hang around with people you have to walk around on eggshells with.

Either this is a poo poo gimmick or you've somehow arrived here from the past. Either way, gently caress yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
I got Funemployment for like :tenbux: and have had some good fun with it. It requires a higher degree of showmanship than CAH for sure though.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a game that gives the feeling of exploration that isn't some $100 4x game that requires a whole day to play and literally nobody will play it with me? I was really hoping for this in Above and Below but wow was that underwhelming. I don't find looking in a book and reading "you find a rope!" Exciting.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

StashAugustine posted:

im going to generally assume that you do not actually hate and/or fear black people, yeah. however, i would say that maybe when people, especially minorities, point out to you that they're uncomfortable with some of the themes of the game and explain why, try being a little less dismissive? also play codenames or coup or something for Christ's sake
You're being reasonable and not just being a knee jerk prick, thank you. I get what you're saying. Maybe I was being dismissive but well that's intentional, not every single persons personal list of peeves can be catered to. Is racism horrible? Yes. Can racial humor be non hateful and funny? Yes. We all laughed at crap like Tribute.avi Benny Hill set to people dying in 9/11 because it was absurdist, it wasn't made with hate.

Anniversary posted:

Racism is blatantly hateful.

That is correct. I'm not sure the point you're trying to make?

The End posted:

Either this is a poo poo gimmick or you've somehow arrived here from the past. Either way, gently caress yourself

See now this is hateful poo poo rooted in the same tradition as bigotry and racism. Has different view from me = bad.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

mage knight maybe? does take some time, but you can play solo and it's not a whole day affair. not super heavy on exploration but you get to run around an uncharted island and burn it to the ground

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bum the Sad posted:

See now this is hateful poo poo rooted in the same tradition as bigotry and racism. Has different view from me = bad.

i think hating someone for being born a certain color skin and hating a person having lovely opinions are very different

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Bum the Sad posted:

You're being vague about what you're saying to make it look more innocent than it actually is. Nobody's giving you a hard time because you happen to have a different viewpoint.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Gejimayu posted:

I got Funemployment for like :tenbux: and have had some good fun with it. It requires a higher degree of showmanship than CAH for sure though.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a game that gives the feeling of exploration that isn't some $100 4x game that requires a whole day to play and literally nobody will play it with me? I was really hoping for this in Above and Below but wow was that underwhelming. I don't find looking in a book and reading "you find a rope!" Exciting.

Archipelago has a pretty good explorationfeel.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

StashAugustine posted:

mage knight maybe? does take some time, but you can play solo and it's not a whole day affair. not super heavy on exploration but you get to run around an uncharted island and burn it to the ground

I hear comparisons to Gloomhaven a lot. Theres a similar card system, right? My wife and I have been ripping through GH this year, but I felt what I miss from it compared to other RPGs (we're allowed to call it that, right? At least in the broader definition, not the tabletop d20 one) is the exploration angle. Other than that its definitely my favorite game at this point after 30ish plays.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Bum the Sad posted:

“You’re not tolerant of my intolerance!”

That’s a bingo!

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

Bottom Liner posted:

That’s a bingo!

You just say bingo.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Bum the Sad posted:

You're being reasonable and not just being a knee jerk prick, thank you. I get what you're saying. Maybe I was being dismissive but well that's intentional, not every single persons personal list of peeves can be catered to. Is racism horrible? Yes. Can racial humor be non hateful and funny? Yes. We all laughed at crap like Tribute.avi Benny Hill set to people dying in 9/11 because it was absurdist, it wasn't made with hate.

first i'd disagree that this is just a simple pet peeve. like if i made a joke about 9/11 and someone had a family member that died there it'd be an understandable "whoops sorry wont do that again" but its not super unreasonable or unexpected for a black person to object to humor that uses race as a punchline. second, the problem with cah's humor is that it's so dumb and blunt. there's not really any sense of self-criticism, not even any real wit to it. it exists as a social excuse to say things you aren't supposed to, but that's not enough to make an actually funny thing. which ties into the argument that its just a bad game- its not a game about being funny its a game about acting like funny people.* and honestly it's not terribly unreasonable for someone to take that to the conclusion that players of cah just want a vehicle to express bigotry

*hot take: much like magic the gathering is loved because it makes you feel like a skilled player

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

S.J. posted:

Nobody's giving you a hard time because you happen to have a different viewpoint.
Yes you are. My viewpoint is it's ok to laugh at some poor taste humor. It doesn't make you a racist, doesn't make the game lovely, just makes it offensive, and again maybe with poor taste on some cards.

quote:

You're being vague about what you're saying to make it look more innocent than it actually is.
It is completely innocent you're spinning things in your head to try and make things more vitriolic.

Bottom Liner posted:

“You’re not tolerant of my intolerance!”

That’s a bingo!
Where was I intolerant? Stop projecting.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Everybody in here has a 'different viewpoint' what's your point? Calling us names because we don't support games with racism is ridiculous. Trying to claim that games that use 'big black dicks' as a thing aren't using racism as entertainment is also ridiculous. You do whatever the gently caress you want, since it doesn't seem as if we can get rid of you, but don't come in here trying to justify it and think we are all just going to head nod.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Gejimayu posted:

I hear comparisons to Gloomhaven a lot. Theres a similar card system, right? My wife and I have been ripping through GH this year, but I felt what I miss from it compared to other RPGs (we're allowed to call it that, right? At least in the broader definition, not the tabletop d20 one) is the exploration angle. Other than that its definitely my favorite game at this point after 30ish plays.

context: played like a dozen games of MK coop and solo, played like 10 scenarios on the gloomhaven tts module

its deck system is more of a mashup of dominion and like MTG (right after i got done making GBS threads on it)- you start off with a small deck and add to and refine it over time. each game (2-3 hours for 2p once you get going) is basically an entire campaign, you teleport into an island, run around flipping up tiles and murdering whatever orc warbands, fortified keeps, and monasteries that totally started it you flip up. combat is more of a strategic affair (definitely thematically). there's been a couple good PbF games run by stelas if you want to see what it's like

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Bum the Sad posted:

Yes you are. My viewpoint is it's ok to laugh at some poor taste humor. It doesn't make you a racist, doesn't make the game lovely, just makes it offensive, and again maybe with poor taste on some cards.

It is completely innocent you're spinning things in your head to try and make things more vitriolic.
Where was I intolerant? Stop projecting.

You seem to believe that you have to be intentionally racist or intolerant, in your heart of hearts, in order to support intolerance or racism. You're framing your argument as 'poor taste in humor', but the specific poor taste in humor we're criticizing is the explicit racism and bigotry that the game uses, and therefore enforces, not vaguely rude things.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Please please please please end this derail.

:pray:

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Lorini posted:

Everybody in here has a 'different viewpoint' what's your point? Calling us names because we don't support games with racism is ridiculous. Trying to claim that games that use 'big black dicks' as a thing aren't using racism as entertainment is also ridiculous. You do whatever the gently caress you want, since it doesn't seem as if we can get rid of you, but don't come in here trying to justify it and think we are all just going to head nod.

I didn't call anyone names I was the one being called a piece of poo poo while trying to explain my thoughts. Please reread. Games that use poo poo like that aren't trying to be hateful their being loving edge lords with poor taste and yeah it's cringy but other parts of the game can still be fun.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Bum the Sad posted:

I didn't call anyone names I was the one being called a piece of poo poo while trying to explain my thoughts. Please reread.

You opened with calling everyone whining sjw's

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Bombadilillo posted:

You opened with calling everyone whining sjw's

I said SJW’ing about board games is great way to ruin a thread. And look we now collectively poo poo up two pages.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Did D&D spring a leak or something.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

StashAugustine posted:

first i'd disagree that this is just a simple pet peeve. like if i made a joke about 9/11 and someone had a family member that died there it'd be an understandable "whoops sorry wont do that again" but its not super unreasonable or unexpected for a black person to object to humor that uses race as a punchline. second, the problem with cah's humor is that it's so dumb and blunt. there's not really any sense of self-criticism, not even any real wit to it. it exists as a social excuse to say things you aren't supposed to, but that's not enough to make an actually funny thing. which ties into the argument that its just a bad game- its not a game about being funny its a game about acting like funny people.* and honestly it's not terribly unreasonable for someone to take that to the conclusion that players of cah just want a vehicle to express bigotry

*hot take: much like magic the gathering is loved because it makes you feel like a skilled player

This is a well thought out post except the last bit. I do think it's very unreasonable to assume that people who play a card game they bought at target while getting a case of beer just want to express bigotry. A more reasonable assumption is they're willing to dismiss some lovely shock humor to have a good time. Or maybe they don't see that shock humor as problematic, maybe they're/I are misguided but it doesn't mean they are hateful.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 15, 2018

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
You know what I'm going to apologize. Looking back my first post was super confrontational and I started a derail under the guise of ending one.

I picked a fight and got one. I apologize.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

The actual worst part of this convo was people trying to recommend Apples 2 Apples for any reason. Like drat

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Kiranamos posted:

The actual worst part of this convo was people trying to recommend Apples 2 Apples for any reason. Like drat

don't take my post as a "recommendation", saying it's better than Cards Against Humanity is absolutely the faintest praise possible

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Bum the Sad posted:

You know what I'm going to apologize. Looking back my first post was super confrontational and I started a derail under the guise of ending one.

for your penance, play codenames once and one ACW wargame as the union. go forth and shitpost no more

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

StashAugustine posted:

for your penance, play codenames once and one ACW wargame as the union. go forth and shitpost no more

I played Gloomhaven from 12:30 to 6:30 today with two of my friends where I imbided the rum to give me the gumption to poo poo post. Does that count?

I don't have an ACW game but I have an un-played copy of Axis and Allies Anniversary edition. How about that?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Bum the Sad posted:

I played Gloomhaven from 12:30 to 6:30 today with two of my friends where I imbided the rum to give me the gumption to poo poo post. Does that count?

Sounds like a great day tbh.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bum the Sad posted:

A fair apology.

On the topic of acw games, guns of Gettysburg is great! Also incomprehensible to lots of people!

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Bombadilillo posted:

Sounds like a great day tbh.

Game is so good, normally wrangling up a game night with my group of friends (like 5 people plus me) is tough but with Gloomhaven literally has both of the two I'm playing with pestering me to set up days to play it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

silvergoose posted:

A fair apology.

On the topic of acw games, guns of Gettysburg is great! Also incomprehensible to lots of people!

i would buy the hell out of this if it wasnt like $150

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'm looking for a good coop mystery solving game. I've heard generally good things about Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, but I dunno if something better has come along since then. (or if the translation mistakes that hosed with the game have been fixed) Any advice for what to go with? Preferrably something that plays decently with 4 players.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

StashAugustine posted:

i would buy the hell out of this if it wasnt like $150

It is? I thought Mercury games made enough. And some people were getting rid of it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

CodfishCartographer posted:

I'm looking for a good coop mystery solving game. I've heard generally good things about Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, but I dunno if something better has come along since then. (or if the translation mistakes that hosed with the game have been fixed) Any advice for what to go with? Preferrably something that plays decently with 4 players.

The only thing that comes to mind is Mysterium if you like more creative if lighter fare.

Edit; buy Tragedy Looper

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I Played it in recent years. Even if it has better options it's still great. 100% reccomended if the premise sounds at all mechanically interesting

We ran into a few spelling errors but nothing affecting the game.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 15, 2018

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

i should play traglooper since i heard about it and kinda wanna rip it off for a hitman board game

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Bottom Liner posted:

The only thing that comes to mind is Mysterium if you like more creative if lighter fare.

Edit; buy Tragedy Looper

I'll check out Mysterium! Already got Tragedy Looper, one of my favorite games but a bit heavy (and antagonistic) for the group I'll be playing with.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The latest editions (from Asmodee / Space Cowboys) are more or less error free, especially compared to the earlier versions.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CommonShore posted:

Please please please please end this derail.

:pray:

I apologize because I legit didn't think something like that would start a derail.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The latest editions (from Asmodee / Space Cowboys) are more or less error free, especially compared to the earlier versions.

Oh sweet! I'll definitely pick that up then. I remember seeing the SU&SD review and them mentioning some of the translation stuff hindering the case solving, but knowing that's been smoothed out I suspect it's exactly what I'm looking for!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

So we played three player Imhotep B side tonight and I won by one point, can't remember the exact scores. Also played four handed Sissi: Die Bohnenkaiserin and lost on the tiebreaker, 17 points each, I had two cards in hand, other player had more. The connoisseurs on BGG were right, Sissi brings more complex trades to the table. Very good Bohnanza variant. Wanted to get in a game of NY slice but various things made the night slow down and we only got the two games in.

Edit: didn't realize in Imhotep you reshuffle the cards if the draw pile is empty (couldn't find it in the rules) so maybe could have lost. Who knows!

cenotaph fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 15, 2018