Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

blinkyzero posted:

meteoric rise of automobile ownership in China
Delishers irony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

simplefish posted:

Delishers irony

How is it ironic? :confused:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

danse macabre posted:

Anybody have recommendations for hotels in Chongqing? The mains things that I am looking for are convenient location and a nice bar to study in.

Uhm what

danse macabre
Oct 29, 2010

I figure it's the "bar to study in" part that's confusing you. I will be in china to study Mandarin and going to Chongqing afterwards. I would like to have a place to study outside of my room (and I know nobody in chongqing), so I figure a hotel bar would work.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Grand Fromage posted:

Hong Kong is an absurdly well planned and easy to navigate city by Asian standards. Tokyo is the only city that's made me lose my poo poo about the tenth time I went into a subway station to find out that it was a different company than the ticket I had and also this wasn't the correct station, I needed to go to the other identically named one across the street that isn't connected and :argh:

Seriously, gently caress Tokyo. Great tourist attractions, but beyond that anywhere else in Japan is better, as are most cities I've visited in China. The only chinese cities i wouldn't rather be in are wuwei and hefei.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Well that I wouldn't agree with, I love Tokyo. But gently caress the privatization of the Tokyo subway.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Goooooooon meet hk success! It's loving ceciltron week.

He's a pretty awesome dude

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
If you can't manage the Tokyo subway there is something wrong with you. I'm sorry we are a large city instead of some 3-line podunk. It's not perfect but it's really not hard to manage and I don't even know how GF managed to buy tickets to the wrong line?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I'm assuming he is confusing the Tokyo Subway with JR Lines and Keio Lines and Keikyu Lines and Toei Lines and any of the 100 billion other rolling stock locomotive trains that you can take around the Tokyo metro area that aren't called Tokyo Subway but appear to function as mass transit railways.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Bloodnose posted:

I'm assuming he is confusing the Tokyo Subway with JR Lines and Keio Lines and Keikyu Lines and Toei Lines and any of the 100 billion other rolling stock locomotive trains that you can take around the Tokyo metro area that aren't called Tokyo Subway but appear to function as mass transit railways.

Yeah, something you don't have to worry about in most other mass transit systems, even in Japan.

It does remind me of one thing that pissed me off in Beijing WRT some of the older transfer stations: having multiple exits with the same letter. IIRC, Chongwenmen has multiple "c" exits. Naturally that's where my friend wanted to meet.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

caberham posted:

Goooooooon meet hk success! It's loving ceciltron week.

He's a pretty awesome dude

:peanut: good times had by all .

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

blinkyzero posted:

You're going to have to explain why you thought this.

I was under the impression that American cities and towns were organised on some sort of sensible grid system, although from your reaction I'm guessing I was mistaken.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Atopian posted:

I was under the impression that American cities and towns were organised on some sort of sensible grid system, although from your reaction I'm guessing I was mistaken.

lol someone's never been to Boston

edit: in seriousness though, some are neatly planned, but older cities are a clusterfuck. No different than the rest of the world.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Atopian posted:

Yeah, Manhattan and a lot of the west coast cities built mostly after cars became a thing.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Utah has the griddiest streets. California and the rest of the country are full of cul-de-sacs and tree-lined avenues but the trees cover the street signs. In my area, you can tell when cross into a posh city because the sidewalks suddenly disappear (walking is for dogs.)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

LimburgLimbo posted:

If you can't manage the Tokyo subway there is something wrong with you. I'm sorry we are a large city instead of some 3-line podunk. It's not perfect but it's really not hard to manage and I don't even know how GF managed to buy tickets to the wrong line?

It's pretty easy? The same machines sell tickets to different lines from different companies and don't indicate which is which, at least in English. I'm sure if you lived there you'd get used to it but it is a total clusterfuck for a tourist.

This was one area Korea really shined, you get your RFID dongle thing and it works on every subway, bus, and most taxis in the entire country.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
My old roommate and I somehow got stuck in the Seoul metro. Meaning we somehow changed and ran out of money and actually couldn't leave. We couldn't explain this to a worker so we just hopped the little gate thing. He yelled at us but we just walked away.

How does someone design a tube where you can get stuck inside it endlessly forever? I was not going to spend my holiday in Seoul riding the tube for a week.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Maybe it was a card reading error of some sort? Take your card to the attendant and have them fix things up? The attendant could have stopped you and fined you for gate jumping

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

peanut posted:

In my area, you can tell when cross into a posh city because the sidewalks suddenly disappear (walking is for dogs.)

Ouch. Why does local government allow that sort of thing?

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

goldboilermark posted:

I was not going to spend my holiday in Seoul riding the tube for a week.

Okay, seriously, you're doing this on purpose now, right?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Atopian posted:

Allow?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

OK, one thing's been bothering me for two years. The first time my girlfriend and I went to Singapore, we each got a bus/subway card with the same amount of money on it and went everywhere together, boarding and exiting every bus and subway turnstile within 5 seconds of each other. But at the end of the second day I noticed her card had 10 cents more than mine. What is the mechanism that allowed that to happen? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

fart simpson posted:

OK, one thing's been bothering me for two years. The first time my girlfriend and I went to Singapore, we each got a bus/subway card with the same amount of money on it and went everywhere together, boarding and exiting every bus and subway turnstile within 5 seconds of each other. But at the end of the second day I noticed her card had 10 cents more than mine. What is the mechanism that allowed that to happen? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Chengdu is trying to do a really standardized/unified system. Right now the Tianfu Tong card works for subway, buses, vending machines around town and your gas bill. Word is they are going to expand it to taxis if they can and more services, but water is complicated with it's own system of IC cards here and electricity is also handled about 14 different ways so those are unlikely to get it.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Aero737 posted:

Okay, seriously, you're doing this on purpose now, right?

lol no but I do find the continuous fascination people here have with my daily vocabulary entertaining

I find it interesting people I associate with IRL never mention a thing but this is something people here bring up time and again. I mean I know why people do it but don't care lol

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

Magna Kaser posted:

Chengdu is trying to do a really standardized/unified system. Right now the Tianfu Tong card works for subway, buses, vending machines around town and your gas bill. Word is they are going to expand it to taxis if they can and more services, but water is complicated with it's own system of IC cards here and electricity is also handled about 14 different ways so those are unlikely to get it.

Beijing has had this in place for a while now, but the card never gets used outside of buses and subways. Taxi's have them, but every time I've asked, the driver says it is broken or something. It's also a pain to add money to your card if you don't regularly take the subway (there are very few places around Beijing to top up your card).

I think Shenzhen recently implemented the same thing, but they said if a taxi driver refuses to let you scan your card, then your ride is free.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

fart simpson posted:

green hat spotted

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Aero737 posted:

Beijing has had this in place for a while now, but the card never gets used outside of buses and subways. Taxi's have them, but every time I've asked, the driver says it is broken or something. It's also a pain to add money to your card if you don't regularly take the subway (there are very few places around Beijing to top up your card).

I think Shenzhen recently implemented the same thing, but they said if a taxi driver refuses to let you scan your card, then your ride is free.

In Chengdu you can add money at any subway, at several small offices around town, and at a big convenience store chain called Hong Qi which is super prolific here.

I also just passed a vending machine that took them outside of the subway which made me :eyepop: a bit.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

goldboilermark posted:

lol no but I do find the continuous fascination people here have with my daily vocabulary entertaining

I find it interesting people I associate with IRL never mention a thing but this is something people here bring up time and again. I mean I know why people do it but don't care lol

My British coworkers always refer to the subway here as the metro instead of the tube so it was extra jarring for me.

But, if you could start incorporating some cockney rhyming slang it'd be much appreciated.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

gbm can you start referring to your wife as "me missus"

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Atopian posted:

Because any homeowner's association that hates poor people enough is allowed to incorporate in the US, and they'll make their rules as crazy as they like.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

LentThem posted:

My British coworkers always refer to the subway here as the metro instead of the tube so it was extra jarring for me.

Yeah I don't think anyone ever refers to any subway system as "the tube" except for the very specific London Underground, which is what makes it look especially like a europhilic affectation.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bloodnose posted:

Yeah I don't think anyone ever refers to any subway system as "the tube" except for the very specific London Underground, which is what makes it look especially like a europhilic affectation.

I have a Chinese coworker that refers to all subway systems as "the tube." You're wrong.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

i refer to the internet as the tube

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

fart simpson posted:

I have a Chinese coworker that refers to all subway systems as "the tube." You're wrong.

He watches too much British television or is an Anglophile

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Jeoh posted:

i refer to the internet as the tube

i refer my long cylindrical poops as the tube

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I don't even know why I typed it but I'm glad it has generated so much discussion lol

I'll try to not call it that in the future!

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Aero737 posted:

Shanghai's had it for a while. Works on metro, bus, taxi, maglev and ferry without a hitch. Also apparently on toll roads, car parks and petrol stations but I've not tried it yet. You can also top it up at convenience stores. Oh and if your phone has NFC and Alipay you can tap it to your phone and see the balance, but not add money yet.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

In Shenzhen, if your phone has NFC, you can somehow use your phone instead of the 深圳通 card itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...
Glasgow has the best Subway, its just one circle with like 14 stops. Cause we aint that smart.

Senzhen MTR & HK MTR are fairly amazing and so easy to use. Not sure the Tong card can be used as widely as an octopus card in HK. Bus and metro not used it for anything else though.

WIsh someone could sort out a decent bus map. I dont think I have ever seen a good one. Google doesnt let you sort individual bus routes in China yet :(