Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Epicurius posted:

Christopher Lloyd is about 9 inches taller than Michael J Fox, and if you look at Back to the Future, there's a whole bunch of shots where Marty and Doc Brown are talking where Lloyd is bent over something, sitting, or hunched over so that both their faces are level. It's not something you notice until you look for it.

Sort of works for Doc Brown though.

Edit: God drat it why do I keep getting top-of-page posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

jeeves posted:

Also gently caress the Federation can make space stations like ain't no thang as long as it is a bizarre re-use of the Regula One model (which already was reused from the TMP). Once the Bajoran Wormhole became one of the most tactically important locations in the entire quadrant wouldn't like the Federation plop down a better station? Or at least like deploy a permanent wing of Galaxy class ships if the Bajorans were ansy about official Federation stations?

Aside from the rest of the responses remember that the Bajorans were super cagey about having a Federation presence at all after throwing off the Cardassian Occupation, so a fleet of powerful ships stationed in the area would be absolutely unacceptable to them and one of the worst things the Feddies could do if they want to establish good relations with Bajor.

They didn't even get one ship permanently stationed at DS9 until the Dominion became a threat that couldn't be ignored.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Brawnfire posted:

Edit: God drat it why do I keep getting top-of-page posts

Check the local neutrino spin ratio, maybe those new gambling machines on the Promenade are upsetting the laws of probability.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

VOY S4 e26 Hope and Fear

I'm only 40 seconds into the episode so far, but I just wanted to point out that Seven has a sleeveless sport catsuit. Since it's black and would have made it hard to recognize the outline of her boobs the costume designers have thoughtfully added a one of those metallic holographic strips around her chest to separate the bust area from the rest of her torso.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Seemlar posted:

Once the conflict with the Dominion began there should absolutely have been a small force of big Starfleet ships parked at DS9 permanently though. I don't think it would have even messed with the dynamic of the show outside of a very small number of occasions and it wouldn't have even been hard to write in "the task force is away" reasons for those ones.

Once it kicks off there usually are starfleet ships cruising around in the background or docked, aren't there? And references to others being on patrol nearby.

For a while they had a plan where the Sutherland and its crew would be recurring characters as part of DS9's guard force but never got around to doing it properly

Powered Descent posted:

Check the local neutrino spin ratio, maybe those new gambling machines on the Promenade are upsetting the laws of probability.

Neutrinos are like the only particle to only have one spin direction. :eng99: it was a good try though

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 11, 2020

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

8one6 posted:

VOY S4 e26 Hope and Fear

I'm only 40 seconds into the episode so far, but I just wanted to point out that Seven has a sleeveless sport catsuit. Since it's black and would have made it hard to recognize the outline of her boobs the costume designers have thoughtfully added a one of those metallic holographic strips around her chest to separate the bust area from the rest of her torso.

I like this one because I like anything Ray Wise is in.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Voyager rewatch log
S4 e24 Demon
Cool alien planet of the week but other than a single follow up later in the series mostly skippable.

E25
Jeri Ryan is a fantastic actress and I always enjoy when they give her a chance to prove it.
Still a bit skippable though. It's obvious they were saving money for the season finale.

E26 Hope and Fear

HD DAD posted:

I like this one because I like anything Ray Wise is in.

Same.

S5 e1 Night
The Kazon were garbage aliens, what if we have Voyager fight literal garbage men?
The "We could use your technology to improve our way of life, protect the environment, and stop the destruction of the indigenous peoples, but I might make less money. No deal." felt really preachy in 1998 while I was but a boy in middle school. Two decades later Je'ff Zucker'Malon using a starship engine that burns the poor for fuel may still be too subtle for most viewers.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

8one6 posted:

E25
Jeri Ryan is a fantastic actress and I always enjoy when they give her a chance to prove it.
Still a bit skippable though. It's obvious they were saving money for the season finale.

Just watched this one myself. Still just amazed at how good she is and how dirty they did her putting her in that cat suit.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
it was actually james bond's boss, who has a lot of sway

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The most remarkable thing about DS9 to me is just how much it doesn't give a poo poo about looking goofy, and how because of that it doesn't come off feeling goofy at all. Its ambitions are well, well beyond its budget but it doesn't matter at all—shows today would be terrified of not being taken seriously if their ambition-to-budget ratio were anywhere near DS9's.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

feedmyleg posted:

The most remarkable thing about DS9 to me is just how much it doesn't give a poo poo about looking goofy, and how because of that it doesn't come off feeling goofy at all. Its ambitions are well, well beyond its budget but it doesn't matter at all—shows today would be terrified of not being taken seriously if their ambition-to-budget ratio were anywhere near DS9's.
It's a lot easier when things are kept consistent so the weirdness isn't necessarily out of place

Although I'm glad the show moves away from the kinds of stories in S1/2 to getting more into galactic politics and then the Dominion stuff

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
did I loving get confused between the Sagas thread and the star trek thread AGAIN?! :rant:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Pick posted:

it was actually james bond's boss, who has a lot of sway

Pick posted:

did I loving get confused between the Sagas thread and the star trek thread AGAIN?! :rant:

Easy mistake to make, both universes have a Q.

(Which is why I've always wanted a photo of John de Lancie autographed by Desmond Llewelyn, or vice versa.)

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

feedmyleg posted:

Alright, started DS9. And... gently caress, I really forgot what it was like to watch a show in SD this sucks I'm so spoiled :negative:

It’s worse than just being SD. I don't know what the problem was, but it's like there's no good copy of it. Even the legit official DVDs when played directly (i.e. not reencoded) look like a worn out VHS that was already bad before it got worn out.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

moldy old rear end take but since there's newbie DS9 watchers here: Everyone in that show has a more sci-fi/alien sounding name in real life than they do on the show.

The most "normal," average and boring sounding name is Terry Farrell. Huh. :thunk:

MikeJF posted:

Neutrinos are like the only particle to only have one spin direction. :eng99: it was a good try though

That we know of. By the 24th century we'll have discovered that neutrinos extend into subspace (think lithium/dilithium) and have additional spins there.

And that might be be the geekiest thing I've ever posted in a trek thread, unlike you lot who can't help jumping at every opportunity to nerd out.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hipster_Doofus posted:

It’s worse than just being SD. I don't know what the problem was, but it's like there's no good copy of it. Even the legit official DVDs when played directly (i.e. not reencoded) look like a worn out VHS that was already bad before it got worn out.

Yeah, I know we're not getting an HD DS9 but they could really at the very least use a remaster.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
While searching for '4k ai upscale' to find a tool or soft to upscale my ds9 collection myself, the first article by google was https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/310029-how-to-upscale-video-content-to-4k-8k-and-beyond

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Yeah right after I posted that I started noticing just how awful the color artifacting was in particular. It has more of a VHS-recorded-off-TV look than an official release.

I know it would never ever ever happen, but if CBS isn't releasing DS9 in HD because of the cost, they should just dump the film scans and let fans redo all the effects. Star Wars fans have certainly proved the will and appetite, and Trek fans have proven their skills.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It looks like VHS because it was (well, not VHS, commercial analog video tape, probably some form of beta).

That's why it looks so much worse than say a film on DVD. A film was at least digitized from the original film elements and even in the early days of DVD they were usually creating an HD master. Finished films existing as SD analog video master only really was never a thing outside of some niche productions. For TV though, an analog video master at the NTSC specification was digitized for the DVDs because it's the only thing that exists and there's really not one hell of a lot you can do with that. The resolution and color information just isn't there and encoding that mess usually highlights the flaws.

Yes, I've seen the AI upscales and they can help with resolution in some cases, but they aren't going to magically restore the missing color information that the original analog video signal lacks. It's funny, NTSC actually has a pretty wide color gamut, but the storage mediums of the time do not. Color information for analog video storage have limited bandwidth.

Any amount of extensive post processing on the existing masters is going to be a lot of time and effort spent to an half product when we have the existing film elements already. That said, it's really not as simple as dumping all the film scans and letting the "community" come up with a finished product as there's a hell of a lot more that needs to be done than finish SFX. The biggest issue is re-creating the edits.

So, you have two alternatives there. You either go back to production notes whenever possible and pull and scan only the film reels thought to have the takes you need (which can be an exhaustive, time consuming search) or you scan it all and partially automate finding the right takes (which is costly since you are paying to scan much much much more footage than necessary to create the final product.)

The SFXs are not the hurdle here. Getting the original film elements into the digital space and piecing together the right takes to create the finished episode is.

All of that said, it's a travesty that it hasn't been done and is emblematic to the actual commitment that CBS has to Star Trek. The film will degrade over time and eventually it won't be possible. To not safeguard the original IP by getting digital scans now is a gross mismanagement of the property. Even if they don't want to spend money to put finished episodes out there now, they need to do it out of preservation alone.

This is what's typically done for older film properties. You scan the original film in at as high a resolution that makes sense for the original elements (usually 8k for 70mm and 4k for 35mm), put together a final master (again, often times 8k or 4k), and then strike a new 35mm film print to go into the vault from that master so you have a high quality analog master that can serve as a backup copy in the future in case the digital master is lost or you can't read it anymore due to changing formats. For TV, you won't scan or master at that at high of a resolution, but doing it at all ensures that we'll be able to preserve this stuff indefinitely.

And, once again I'll say it, if CBS can't figure out a way to monetize HD DS9 and Voyager to the break even point when they have their own streaming service and putting large investments into growing Star Trek as a brand, they are loving morons.

How is "the only source for all of Star Trek in HD" not a gigantic selling point? Trickle them out one episode per week and you have 348 weeks solid of new content. That's over 6 and a half years of weekly new content for the service. Make it an event and release already created special features to go along side it. Include the already created commentary tracks when available. Get some of the actors to film 20 second blurbs on their memories of the episode. Give it some sort of branding like "Boldly Going" or something. This whole thing is about one of the easiest wins to raise the profile of the service per dollar spent.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 12, 2020

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I would actually pay for CBS all-access if they did that stuff

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
It just goes to show you how addicted to tentpole poo poo even stream services are. Hollywood could easily make money on 10x 20 million dollar pictures but everyone is hoping to easily cash in on the single 200 million dollar thing.

Same with CBS and their serious money laundering feeling of making GBS threads out of Trek shows. I'm guessing that somewhere along the lines if they replay old Trek then someone from old Trek era gets residuals or something so they CAN'T HAVE THAT

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

jeeves posted:

It just goes to show you how addicted to tentpole poo poo even stream services are. Hollywood could easily make money on 10x 20 million dollar pictures but everyone is hoping to easily cash in on the single 200 million dollar thing.

Same with CBS and their serious money laundering feeling of making GBS threads out of Trek shows. I'm guessing that somewhere along the lines if they replay old Trek then someone from old Trek era gets residuals or something so they CAN'T HAVE THAT

They'd probably make even more money doing the 10 20 mil movies but they like seeing "movie made a billion" headlines

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
lol that Picardshow was so cheap feeling and had so many exec producers at the trough that it comes off like a money laundering storefront for the mob

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

bull3964 posted:

Yes, I've seen the AI upscales and they can help with resolution in some cases, but they aren't going to magically restore the missing color information that the original analog video signal lacks.
You can't recover lost information but you can make up new information. These AI image processing tools are just getting better and better at making up information that is consistent with the source and believable to the human eye.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

But then we should be using AI upscaling to clean up artifacts from cheap film stock and giving the content a HDR grading, not to compensate for studios not doing what it right.

The higher quality source is RIGHT THERE. We shouldn't be giving them a pass by handwaving "the fans will take care of it."

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Tighclops posted:

lol that Picardshow was so cheap feeling and had so many exec producers at the trough that it comes off like a money laundering storefront for the mob

Wait what about Quibi?

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?

jeeves posted:

Wait what about Quibi?
Quibi has forced me to know their name, but I’ll be damned if they can make me know what they do.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

First lower decks trailer.

https://youtu.be/V3RkBKedKWw

Might be enjoyable. Getting real Final Space vibes from it.

Holodeck waste removal...

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I was doing some spring cleaning and found these. This is what you get when you tell people you like Star Trek.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

Pascallion posted:

Quibi has forced me to know their name, but I’ll be damned if they can make me know what they do.

It’s a food delivery service.

According to 70% of the people who watched their Super Bowl ad.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

bull3964 posted:

First lower decks trailer.

https://youtu.be/V3RkBKedKWw

Might be enjoyable. Getting real Final Space vibes from it.

Holodeck waste removal...
Seems alright to me

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Seems alright to me

Yeah. Always hard to judge a comedy on a trailer but there wasn't anything obviously poo poo about it, so that's good.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

I was doing some spring cleaning and found these. This is what you get when you tell people you like Star Trek.

I had those marbles! Trio is still kicked around by my cats sometimes

8one6
May 20, 2012

All the arguments against making Jeri Ryan wear the catsuit instead of a regular uniform are good and valid.
That being said the blue catsuit was the best one.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
For some reason the blue one always looked like it would be the most comfortable of the three she had. I’m sure they were all horrible to wear but that silver one had to be the absolute worst.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Silver all the way, baby. (It's the only one that looks like it's supposed to be a robot thing, kind of.)

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

What's stupid about the catsuits is that since Seven isn't in starfleet, they could have just made her wear regular sexy civilian outfits if they were that really adamant about making an object out of her. Like, just let her wear a tight t-shirt and future jeans or something.

8one6
May 20, 2012

I'm pretty sure that jeans went extinct or were made illegal in Federation space because they're comfortable and I don't see them ever going out of general use otherwise.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Blue was great, but I do like the purple as well

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

8one6 posted:

I'm pretty sure that jeans went extinct or were made illegal in Federation space because they're comfortable and I don't see them ever going out of general use otherwise.

Jeans rely on pocket technology that I can only assume was outlawed in some treaty between the era of Enterprise and TOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

jeeves posted:

Also gently caress the Federation can make space stations like ain't no thang as long as it is a bizarre re-use of the Regula One model (which already was reused from the TMP). Once the Bajoran Wormhole became one of the most tactically important locations in the entire quadrant wouldn't like the Federation plop down a better station? Or at least like deploy a permanent wing of Galaxy class ships if the Bajorans were ansy about official Federation stations?

I always got the sense that there were relatively very few ships in the Star Trek galaxy. Galaxy classes aren't meant to operate in "a wing" because there have only been 7 total in all the shows.

It's probably a lot cheaper to not do many ships at a time, but there's also a lot of plots that only happen because the Enterprise is the only ship in the area, and the relative scarcity of ships makes that all the more believable.

Also the show tending to downplay the military aspects of the Federation.