Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Brofessor Slayton posted:

Did anyone else Emetic the ET dude and watch him run off to find a bin to throw up in... which was literally next to the toilet in the restroom?
This behavior also rendered my intended "poison a shitload of peoples' wine and drown them all in toilets throughout Landslide" contract worthless because they all go to bins in perfectly usable bathrooms instead of toilets. The emetic logic in general is strange as you'll see things where people divert from whatever path they were on and turn completely around to go elsewhere based on some kind of target selection. I think they search for the nearest vomit spot but are supposed to override if a toilet is within a certain distance and available, or a special location is provided for them; Caruso will walk up the steps before rerouting himself to the cliff for the opportunity and I'm fairly sure he was initially going for Francesca's bathroom (as it's the closest to where he eats the spaghetti) before his routine manually forces him to the cliff instead. Likewise try emetic poisoning the wine glass directly behind you when you start Landslide and watch where the drinker goes.

The problem with the vomit logic is it doesn't always work right at a certain distance. I can consistently reroute a person in the Marrakesh shisha den to one of the two toilets if both are in use by killing whoever is already there, but I suspect that only works correctly because both toilets are very close and there is no bin in one of them. Too many bins fucks up the pathfinding logic in some fashion I haven't puzzled out.

Pilchenstein posted:

Just to be picky, this is technically incorrect. It's true that discovered bodies of people killed by poison don't count against your rating, but poisonings don't count as accidents, so any challenge or contract requiring an accident kill can't be completed by poisoning. Also, if you've set up a poisoning and are just waiting for it to happen before you leave, be aware that the body counts as spotted until you see the words "Unnoticed Kill" come up in the top right and leaving the level before that happens won't give you Silent Assassin rating. (The same is true of explosion accidents, except that the magic words you need to see then are "Accident Kill") :science:
This is a new bug, by the way, and also seems to cause situations where explosive and poison kills just plain don't register. I've discovered a few reproducible ones -- several wine glass kills on Landslide don't count as Ingested Poison even if the game says they do -- and explosions also have the Body Found glitch. Because of that and the annoying issue with syringes being nowhere near as stealthy as their animation suggests I would just avoid poisoning people unless a challenge requires it and don't use non-accident explosions at all. Feel free to use a duck or breaching charge to set off a propane tank or fire extinguisher, but make sure it's the tank/extinguisher that actually kills them.

There is only one consistent way I've found to always get safe, stealthy Explosive Device kills that always register and to avoid the Body Found glitch, but it's slow and stupid so doing a FE drive-by is still the best method to explode things.

where the red fern gropes posted:

novikov is very happy with his codename of cobra
I was always under the impression that Novikov was Peacock for some reason. When you think about their respective roles it makes more sense to me that way I guess. Also it's male peacocks that are the fancy ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Bogart posted:

Best way to get the needles is to get a disposable scrambler in an Agency pickup, run to the Morgue, open the tray with the callback in it, and grab the universal rfid card. Honestly, grabbing the universal card just makes everything easier.

I just wish the preceding conversation didn't last so long. Just shut up and give me the RFID already!

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I really should just grind Colorado for the key-card lock pick but uggggrrgghhh.....that mission is so awful.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Snuffman posted:

I really should just grind Colorado for the key-card lock pick but uggggrrgghhh.....that mission is so awful.

have you played marrekech yet?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Snuffman posted:

I started out hating it, but once I got an infiltrating start I liked it a lot more - to the point that it was the first level I got mastery 20 on. The point man is a really effective disguise for most of the outside areas, and the large number of targets means that there's a lot of straightforward 5000xp challenges. The only part that really sucks is having to exit through the basement every time, but that's not too much of a problem - you don't need to exit to get challenges, after all.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Plot speculation time!!
If you get folks meditating in the sauna in Hokkaido, one of the women is trying to forget horrifying experiments she witnessed in Africa.

Also all of the female sauna NPCs have a weird octopus tattoo on their calf.

Nakar posted:

I was always under the impression that Novikov was Peacock for some reason. When you think about their respective roles it makes more sense to me that way I guess. Also it's male peacocks that are the fancy ones.

You are correct. They talk about it in the saferoom dialogue, in this great conversation that really fleshes out their relationship. After a bitter fight, Novikov talks about how much he likes that he was called "Cobra", before Margolis tells him he's Peacock and that she chose the code names. He ultimately finds it hilarious, and they make up. Then I dropped a chandelier on them.

NRVNQSR posted:

I figured out Pro Silent Ninja recently; it wasn't too hard, just slow and methodical and lots and lots of shooting cameras.
Ironically I still don't know how to do normal Silent Ninja, since this route only works on Pro.

I wound up solving it with a slightly different path in the beginning.
  • Mixtape 47 on the mountain path pickup to separate the guards, then knocked them each out.
  • Went down to the supply room with the drugs when the pilot and gardener were on the upper level, and the guard was by the supply room door. Knocked out the guard and stashed him in the supply room.
  • Knock out patrolling guard near lower level walkway exterior door.
  • Entered the morgue through the lower level. Emptied it of guards using the method I've since learned Freeze uses too. It's time-consuming, but really safe and a great way to render that part of the map safe.
  • Took out camera near stem cell application room, waited for guard to check camera and leave.
  • Used fusebox and body tray to knock out one surgeon. (taking out the camera is vital since it can see through the railing above at some angles)
  • Knock out other surgeon. Hide both.
  • Sniped the heart. deffo gonna have bulletproof glass on Provoxional.
  • Saved.
  • Took out security. Used hallway behind security room (alcove/closet) to take out guard and surgeon. This was finicky; IOI intentionally gives the sliding doors very quick closure to limit this sort of technique.
  • The rest was the same as you; I used the surgeon's body to prop open the door back into the morgue area in case I wanted to work my way back and escape via the mountain path.

For Ninja Assassin normal, the trick is to use something innocuous to block the sliding door into the sauna area. Alternately, lure in a nearby resort staff member and use their body to get the door open (this is much harder).

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 27, 2017

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Nakar posted:

All peacocks are male, the females are peahens, and the both of them are peafowl :science:

I guess I haven't hosed around on Hokkaido near enough, I didn't know there was a master key rfid. :saddowns:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

SubponticatePoster posted:

All peacocks are male, the females are peahens, and the both of them are peafowl :science:

I guess I haven't hosed around on Hokkaido near enough, I didn't know there was a master key rfid. :saddowns:

It's a hard to find unlock, the only way to get it involves getting into the director's office, which requires you to take the director's outfit, or else getting enough mastery to unlock a specific item. Once you're able to get it, though, you're pretty much never not going to want it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Thought I had the Himmapan Horror axe challenge all tied up but something about the Body Found logic just didn't work. I laid out all my axe kills in a neat line in the linen room and then lured in one of the staff. With him and several guards coming in the room and passing through all bodies should have been found to give me the challenge (and I was wearing the right outfit the entire mission) but it never registered. I eventually got it by arranging things so that each victim's body was spotted by the next victim but i don't know why my first method didn't work.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Discendo Vox posted:

For Ninja Assassin normal, the trick is to use something innocuous to block the sliding door into the sauna area. Alternately, lure in a nearby resort staff member and use their body to get the door open (this is much harder).

Alternate strategy, take a lethal throwing item, such as the katana you surely picked up when you started, wait on the left side of the maintenence door when Yuki is going into the sauna and throw the item at her, then book it to the exit.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The katana is ideal for propping open the door

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The issue with Colorado mastery is too many challenges focus on Sean Rose. Also the lack of verticality.

It's an amazing map for poison challenges though. Lots of water bottles, two sets of pills and a lethal syringe on map.

Lobok posted:

Thought I had the Himmapan Horror axe challenge all tied up but something about the Body Found logic just didn't work. I laid out all my axe kills in a neat line in the linen room and then lured in one of the staff. With him and several guards coming in the room and passing through all bodies should have been found to give me the challenge (and I was wearing the right outfit the entire mission) but it never registered. I eventually got it by arranging things so that each victim's body was spotted by the next victim but i don't know why my first method didn't work.
The linen room has a shitton of obstructions to sight that don't look it. What I had to do was put everyone in a pile next to the laundry room door and keep opening it until someone ran in.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Yay first silent assassin ET. Now I get to walk around the other maps in a bathrobe.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Alright one more, this turned out a bit better than I anticipated:

The Ekbom Insurrection (Marrakesh): 1-06-2433136-02
Kill a guard in the consulate courtyard in your suit, then an officer in the basement as the guard, then the consul upstairs as the officer. The kills are easy, but avoiding Body Found is going to require either detours, accidents, subduals, or a gutsy route and raw speed.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

NRVNQSR posted:

Ironically I still don't know how to do normal Silent Ninja, since this route only works on Pro.

It's basically the same as SASO starting from the morgue, except you have to follow the path down to get to the morgue instead of starting there.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Welp, there are two less surgeons and one more winter coat in the World of Assassination.

I kept getting compromised when I stuck the dude with the needle when he was overlooking the helipad. Thankfully, if you're quick enough (and get him first) you can restart while he's in his death throes but before he actually dies. Took three tries. Got the lady while she was on the phone and everyone was looking away from her.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

So I didn't read up on this game at all before buying it when it was finally complete. The Elusive Targets, they're randomly selected and placed within one of the game's pre-existing levels? If you don't kill them before the time limit does it eventually roll back around to them? If I've already done Hokkaido (which I haven't yet) do you get access to all the unlocks/abilities from mastering the level?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Elusive targets are entirely NEW NPCs added to the existing maps, with new voice acting, new scripting, and new models.

IOI's stated position is that ETs are "now or never", and are never coming back. It's great for the tension, but if you missed them, you're SOL. Doubly so because there's both fun story stuff and nice cosmetic stuff tied to ETs.

They've stated that there will be several more ETs in the future. They'll probably drag ETs out through Season 1 for the next year or so. I imagine these kinds of discussions ("ETs are never coming back! And they're cool!") help the long tail of a game that already probably stretches out with several significant bumps (when S1 finished, when the physical edition dropped, there'll probably be a sale when S2 goes up for preorder, then a S1+S2 special edition, physical release, et cetera).

If you missed it, the S1 unlocks are supposed to carry over into S2.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well poo poo, I better get on them then!

I think I found the female Doctor but I haven't tracked down the disease yet, you can only kill them once right? Or do you get the full stretch of time to take them out in multiple ways?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Jerusalem posted:

I think I found the female Doctor but I haven't tracked down the disease yet, you can only kill them once right? Or do you get the full stretch of time to take them out in multiple ways?

They can only be killed once, and your hitman-vision will not reveal them in red the way it does other targets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1uxVvg078w

mp5 fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 28, 2017

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jerusalem posted:

It's just a one-and-done mission, so if you kill them both you win and can't do it again. So find the disease and use both vials to kill em both in the same run!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Jerusalem posted:

You may restart the mission to scope it out, but once you die, or either of the targets are dead, you can no longer restart it ever.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Jerusalem posted:

female Doctor

Jerusalem posted:

:raise:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

elf help book posted:

You may restart the mission to scope it out, but once you die, or either of the targets are dead, you can no longer restart it ever.

Yeah I've restarted a few times now - I've figured out how to get around most of the institute freely but I haven't been able to get the Director alone yet and get all-access clearance. I got about 40 hours to figure it out though!

It's a shame Tilda Swinton has way too successful a career and she'd never be available, but maybe Olivia Colman will v:shobon:v

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah I've restarted a few times now - I've figured out how to get around most of the institute freely but I haven't been able to get the Director alone yet and get all-access clearance. I got about 40 hours to figure it out though!

Don't work on your mastery in the ET mission. Just do the Normal Hokkaido up to 20 to get all your unlocks. That makes the ET a ton easier. You can get to normal Hokkaido from the Destinations tab, don't use the ET link on the start screen.

You don't need all-access to run the ET. I did it all in the Surgeon outfit, which is one of the starting options once you 20 the level.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Wizard of the Deep posted:

You don't need all-access to run the ET. I did it all in the Surgeon outfit, which is one of the starting options once you 20 the level.

I did it with the normal starting conditions so it's definitely possible without having to do this, too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Don't work on your mastery in the ET mission. Just do the Normal Hokkaido up to 20 to get all your unlocks. That makes the ET a ton easier. You can get to normal Hokkaido from the Destinations tab, don't use the ET link on the start screen.

That's like six episodes down the line though right? I don't want to rush through the other levels just to get to it, I still haven't moved on past Paris.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Hokkaido is the last episode for Season 1 (excluding the bonus missions), but you can play them out of order. You don't need any of the unlocks from the earlier levels to SA the ET, but you DO need to know the level backwards and forwards. Hell, I didn't use anything I didn't source on-site.

That said, you certainly could SA the ET from level 0 mastery, but it'll be a lot harder, especially not knowing the map.

If you really care about the 80s action-flick-quality story, just skip the end cinematic. The metastory is mostly contained in the cinematics, and the microstory is all self-contained in the level.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

At the very last minute, a guard saw a body at the bottom of a stairwell by magic xray vision and hosed my SA rating. :argh:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

That's like six episodes down the line though right? I don't want to rush through the other levels just to get to it, I still haven't moved on past Paris.

so the thing about hitman games is, they have a plot, and a rich underlying backstory, but it never advertises itself and really isn't relevant

if you do play hokkaido out of order, there is a cutscene for finishing the level which you should skip (you can watch it later) but hitman is not a game where the plot is ever going to affect the gameplay, except to give some flavour to your targets

i'm not sure what level you need on hokkaido to start as a surgeon, but hokkaido is unique in that mastery of the actual level layout itself is more important that your numeric mastery level. i'd suggest playing some of it now, because it's very compact and very easy to get lost until the map clicks for you

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh sweet, I just assumed that you needed to unlock the next mission by playing in order. I didn't even check to see if I could jump ahead.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Oh sweet, I just assumed that you needed to unlock the next mission by playing in order. I didn't even check to see if I could jump ahead.
The episodic release thing was what stopped people from jumping ahead at release. :) (It was also to try and convince more people to replay missions a bunch and try and get SA instead of just playing the "story" through once and wondering what all the fuss is about)

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Nakar posted:

Nice.

Unrelated, did they fix the instant detonation glitch or am I just loving it up?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

where the red fern gropes posted:

so the thing about hitman games is, they have a plot, and a rich underlying backstory, but it never advertises itself and really isn't relevant

The one time that the story was front and center was Absolution, and everyone can agree that was dog poo poo. God it was so terrible. Sooooo bad.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Nakar posted:

Doing this quickly was annoying as gently caress. The fastest way I could do it involved throwing breaching charges and just gently caress those things and the lovely loving physics they bounced all over the place in on. :v:

I'm curious to know if we used the same route because it seems like there's definite room for improvement on mine (I got 2:10 but got spotted) but I just cannot be hosed to keep running it until I get the breach charge to bounce just the right way to distract the guard on the stairs. I'm uploading a video of my route now, I'll link it when I get home later.

Edit: it'll be up here in about an hour or so

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 28, 2017

Aug 24, 2011

i want Wizard 47

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Do you guys ever see a post and are completely unable to get the context of it, but agree nonetheless?
I don't know if this means Vampire Magician suit unlock for all levels, 47 in a pointy blue hat with stars on it or something else entirely but sure.

Aug 24, 2011

Brofessor Slayton posted:

47 in a pointy blue hat with stars on it

this one

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

I've already said I wanted the Devil Suit, but I would definitely settle for some kind of fancy wizard hat.

Anyway, new game mode time. The goal is to make the original targets of each level as happy as possible - help Jordan Cross record the perfect version of his song. Cook up some nice spaghetti for Silvio Caruso. Help General Zaydan practice for the big dance-off.
Obviously we're a bit constrained by the limits of our murder simulator but it's the thought that counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Jerusalem posted:

If you don't want to skip ahead, there are probably a bunch of videos on youtube showing how to finish the ET without Hokkaido's unlocks. It's not as much fun as trying to figure it out yourself, but it's an option since you're under a time crunch and ET's don't leave much room for error.

Small hint though: the hospital director will grab some sushi off the counter in the restaurant. Afterwards he will walk and stand near an empty-ish bathroom, within earshot off anything that might fall on the floor.