Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

get the 'cop's wife' one

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Find one that includes reference to your veteran status as well and it has my vote

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I can work für 12 months on an F-1 visa under the OPT program, and I've been scrambling to find a job after everything went to poo poo a few months ago. While I'm probably not gonna have trouble finding SOMETHING, it's always a cost-benefit issue.

Simply having a job for the sake of staying here 12 months in hopes of getting something better may not be worth it when I could find long-term employment back home. Since a work visa is essentially out the window for me here, I'll see what I can find until late July and then probably just peace out if nothing works out.

What kind of work are you looking for and anywhere in particular?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Two Finger posted:

get the 'cop's wife' one

Pesticide20 posted:

Find one that includes reference to your veteran status as well and it has my vote

I'm gonna wear a plate carrier over my grad gown, maybe just go all out with a MARPAT blouse under it

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Nurses get hella mad when you call them the "Physician's Assistant's Assistant"

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Booblord Zagats posted:

God drat

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Booblord Zagats posted:

the truth hurts sometimes

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Booblord Zagats posted:

"we practically do the same job!!!"

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

PAs: "I could have been a doctor BUT..."

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

tastefully arranged labia posted:

PAs: "I could have been a doctor BUT..."

Doctors: "I should have just became a PA or a nurse"

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Two Finger posted:

since i can't sleep i was looking at my dad's old ship on wikipedia and discovered that actually new zealand has a fine tradition of 'gently caress hippies'

:patriot:

:spergin: Permit class.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

i'm trying to be proud of my country busting up hippies man let me have my moment

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

the truth hurts sometimes

Plus anything making them realize just how far away they are from being a doctor

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Booblord Zagats posted:

Plus anything making them realize just how far away they are from being a doctor

Yeah but they've got a doctor in them

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
How to date a nurse??

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Woof Blitzer posted:

How to date a nurse??

Well you're a cop now so you're halfway there. I think you can skip past the getting married, having two kids, loving around with dispatchers, and finally divorce though.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Woof Blitzer posted:

How to date a nurse??

How much do you like salty people with two divorces and an alcohol problem

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

How much do you like salty people with two divorces and an alcohol problem

Some of us are only on 1 divorce thank you very much.....

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

MurderBot posted:

Some of us are only on 1 divorce thank you very much.....

Some of us can't even get a girl to marry them thank you very much....

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

ya but how many kids out of wedlock ??? 🤔

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Unless he happened to knock up a hag in his younger days, I don't think mr. blitzer here or his future nurse husband have too many kids to worry about.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

Unless he happened to knock up a hag in his younger days, I don't think mr. blitzer here or his future nurse husband have too many kids to worry about.

Somebody never watched The Wire

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

tastefully arranged labia posted:

Somebody never watched The Wire

Correct. I don't really watch much tv. Haven't in a long time.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

I got accepted into a 2 year gunsmithing program at an accredited state college and I've been working with the VA Voc Rehab to get Uncle Sam to pay for it all. Thanks to help from people in the Vet Resource thread, I put together pretty much my entire plan and counseling packet before I even met with my counselor. He just spent the last week or so going over all of it and told me today that it looks like my plan will be a go.

The only caveat was that the VA couldn't buy or reimburse me for completed firearms. However they don't have any issues at all buying all the pieces and parts and letting me put them together into complete firearms. My goal with Voc Rehab is to get them to cover all my tools and guns so I can setup a home machine shop making custom guns on the side after graduating. This isn't going to be my primary source of income, more of an elaborate hobby that might generate some side cash.

It was a bit tricky to get into the school since they have a surprisingly low acceptance rate for the program and real small class sizes, but you can be sure I played the hell outta the vet card in my application essay and interviews. They cover just about everything including machining your own tools, carving stocks, reloading, fabricating gun parts and building custom match grade weapons. I've seen the work that previous students did and I'm pretty pumped.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wow

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

No offense, but is gun smithing really a worthwhile career to pursue in any capacity?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

No offense, but is gun smithing really a worthwhile career to pursue in any capacity?

Lmao no. Just no. Trust me I watched someone attempt this folly before.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Who cares use your funbucks to do whatever and then make a meager living doing what you love. You're not going to get rich no matter what you do. Find some joy in your miserable life.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
That sounds like a pretty baller but totally ridiculous way to spend your benefits. More power to you if you already have your employment situation straightened out.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Isn't using your funbux for the sake of using it a really bad idea and something we advocate against in here

I mean if it makes him happy then by all means, just not sure if he has an idea about the, uh, lack of prospects for it or w/e, and we could veer him in another direction

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
spread your wings and fly in the direction you wish, my friend :downs:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Just a few weeks ago I got called an rear end in a top hat for saying it would be dumb to go to law school. gently caress if I know what the general consensus is. I just feel, at this moment, that if you want to get into gunsmithing, gently caress it go become a gunsmith.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Gunsmithing, law school, amway, all synonyms.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Woof Blitzer posted:

How to date a nurse??

i found mine on craigslist

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
I think we all gave up on giving earnest advice after Blue Squares went and got a rhetoric degree. Now it's just "gently caress it man, whatever makes you happy."

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

TheQuietWilds posted:

I think we all gave up on giving earnest advice after Blue Squares went and got a rhetoric degree. Now it's just "gently caress it man, whatever makes you happy."

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Do what makes you happy. If you've got gainful employment sorted out, go for it.

I wouldn't be terribly worried about him pulling a blue squares. poo poo, I wish I had the time to learn a bit of gunsmithing just for my own use, let alone for beer money or whatever.

e: zero to blue squares in twenty minutes lol

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Do something that makes you happy and do it well. Ideally do something that can't easily be outsourced or automated. Nothing matters, chaos reigns.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I think if it doesn't pan out for him $-wise, he can probably slide over to musical instrument making/repair with his new elite metal-working and woodworking skills and tools. I knew a guy who built some amazing guns and ended up making about 50 cents an hour. It's life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

I don't have any delusions about getting rich or even making a living doing gunsmithing. My money making gig is software development for large companies, lately mostly electric utilities. They pay me monthly subscription fees to use software I did awhile back and I have time to pursue other interests.

This school is mostly about getting the VA to subsidize my hobbies and keep me from killing myself out of boredom. If it ever becomes something more, so be it, but I'm not counting on it.

• Locked thread