Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Dexo posted:

They thought they were getting the QB in the Draft with the best tools ,and the best chance to become a great QB. It was a potential over production pick.

I doubt they thought their Window was even open at all last year going into the season. They probably figured they had at least a year before everything clicked like it did.

This is my point, that their evaluation that lead them to this thought seems to have been pretty incorrect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The aggression that made the Bears go for Trubs has shown in other very successful moves for them. So if you don't like them trading up for Trubs, I'm sorry, you're no longer allowed to watch Mack.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

brugroffil posted:

This is my point, that their evaluation that lead them to this thought seems to have been pretty incorrect.

Is it?

I've seen Trubs make every single loving throw he needs to make to be a very good QB in the league. He's got as much mobility as like Watson/Mahomes when it comes to scrambling and moving around. His Arm is very good. He has mechanical things he definitely needs to clear up, and get better at reads. but like Looking at the dude as a prospect. There is nothing he can't do from the QB position.

Will he clean those things up, and become more consistent, I dunno, But Every single time Trubs needed to make a play(even if it was himself that put himself in the desperate position to need to make a play(the eagles game comes to mind) ) He would make some of the most beautiful throws and plays with his feet that I have seen.

I'll just say, I extremely see what Pace, and the Bears saw in him. Dunno if he ever becomes consistent and comfortable. But even if he doesn't, I see why someone could fall in love with him as a prospect.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Dexo posted:

I mean, No, Watson hasn't been thaaat much better than what Trubs did last year(his first year wasn't great because Fox and Loggains)

A ton of people passed on Mahomes and no one thought he'd be as insane as he was.

Also it was Pace who fell in love with him. Not a scout. And I don't think Pace should be fired at all.

I'm extremely fine with an aggressive GM that ensures that he gets the player that he wants. I don't give much of a poo poo about draft spots or draft capital. It's extremely overrated. If you have a player that you love then go loving get him. If you are a good GM you can figure out the rest later even if you do botch the pick completely (which I don't think is the case with Trubs yet) It was a legit debate at the time between Trubs and Watson for QB in that draft, and they liked Trubs more. Also Trubs is playing in like his what 4th season period(College and Pros) as a QB this upcoming year as he played like a whopping 13 games in college.

Ah, the Gettleman approach. Brave.

I mean, it's true that everyone else had slightly different evaluations. It was an interesting draft because all three quarterbacks had some issues, or some potential issues at least. Mahomes was a great draft pick primarily for his intelligence, honestly. His skills and athleticism are great but the way he was able to learn the offense, clean up his mechanics and prepare to dominate over the course of a single season is not normal. The man processes what he sees (and reacts) incredibly quickly and I really think that's the main thing that makes him a great quarterback. The point of all this is that it would've been pretty hard to know that in advance (although the Chiefs loved him for exactly that reason). In the draft he was ignored a bit because of the system he came from; they figured those stats were just air raid nonsense that didn't count because it wasn't a "pro-style" offense. For some reason it was a bad thing that he threw the ball down the field constantly and successfully, although I doubt scouts will try to use that trope again in the future.

The big knocks on Deshaun were mainly his turnovers, both interceptions and fumbles, as well as getting through progressions and not staring down receivers. He's taken some successful steps to combat these things, and you'll notice that he doesn't love throwing into tight windows (unless it's to Hopkins and the db has his back turned) because he's trying to avoid interceptions. His ball placement can still be a bit hinky, although he's only getting better with time.

The Bears being a somewhat traditional team during that draft, it's not that surprising they took the tall, beefy white quarterback with a more traditional look to him. The big knock on Mitch was his mechanics, consistency, processing speed and the fact that he had only started 15 games in college. We've seen those negatives play out pretty clearly over his first few seasons.

Still, the Bears pretty much shocked everyone by taking Trubs that early. There is a comparison you can draw with Daniel Jones (although I think if Daniel Jones ends up as good as Trubisky, that will be a huge success for the Giants), but Trubs still probably looked like the better prospect. In the end, yeah it's done so if you're a Bears fan there's no reason not to be all-in on Trubisky. I actually really like the guy as a player and I enjoy watching him, very much hoping he puts it together a bit tighter this year. Like the video showed, for Trubisky it's all about doing things the RIGHT way, and the SAME way, every time.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Play posted:

Ah, the Gettleman approach. Brave.

The thing is I'm fine with the Gettleman approach, but I don't think Gettleman has done enough to justify being able to draft another QB or keep his job like he got to.

Pace, I think did deserve the chance to draft Trubisky after hiring the coach he wanted and not being "strongly suggested John Fox by Ernie Accorsi and George Mccaskey".

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
In drafting Trubisky Pace is entirely hedging on him being a franchise QB because half of his rookie contract is blown on him "developing."

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
The way people talk about Trubs is reminiscent of someone like Flacco.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Hot Diggity! posted:

half of his rookie contract is blown on him "developing."
Isn't this true for 99% of rookie QBs?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

American McGay posted:

Nah dunno how many teams would take a QB second overall and have him sit to learn behind [checks notes] Mike Glennon with [checks notes again] John Fox as coach

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Is Mitchell Biscuits elite?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i just remember that this picture existed

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

American McGay posted:

Most rookie QBs played more than like 13 college games.

Trubs came out really raw

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah but I mean, unless you're somehow making the playoffs in year one or two of the rookie contract the end result is exactly the same. You can call it a development year or you can call it something else but if you're not winning in January then the end result is the same.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Hot Diggity! posted:

In drafting Trubisky Pace is entirely hedging on him being a franchise QB because half of his rookie contract is blown on him "developing."

I mean, gently caress if you draft a QB at 1-3, no loving poo poo you are hedging on him becoming a Franchise QB

Play
Apr 25, 2006

American McGay posted:

Yeah but I mean, unless you're somehow making the playoffs in year one or two of the rookie contract the end result is exactly the same. You can call it a development year or you can call it something else but if you're not winning in January then the end result is the same.

Carson Wentz and Jared Goff took their respective teams to the Super Bowl during their rookie deals. Both Russel Wilson and Ben Roethlisberger took their teams and also won the Super Bowl in their second seasons. So it's not like it's inevitable that a rookie QB spends his rookie deal "developing".

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1150797538557120514?s=20

Lmao

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Can't wait to plant this grass in hell, Michigan

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Play posted:

Carson Wentz and Jared Goff took their respective teams to the Super Bowl during their rookie deals. Both Russel Wilson and Ben Roethlisberger took their teams and also won the Super Bowl in their second seasons. So it's not like it's inevitable that a rookie QB spends his rookie deal "developing".
Top 5 Overall Pick QBs over the last 15 years:

Alex Smith didn't play in a playoff game during his rookie contract.
Vince Young didn't win a playoff game during his rookie contract.
JaMarcus Russell didn't play in a playoff game during his rookie contract.
Matt Ryan didn't win a playoff game during his rookie contract.
Matthew Stafford didn't win a playoff game during his rookie contract.
Mark Sanchez made back to back AFC Championship games during his rookie contract.
Sam Bradford has never played in a playoff game.
Cam Newton won one playoff game in the final year of his rookie contract.
Andrew Luck made the AFC Championship during his rookie contract.
Robert Griffin III didn't win a playoff game during his rookie contract.
Blake Bortles made the AFC Championship in the final year of his rookie contract. (lol)
Jameis Winston has never played in a playoff game.
Marcus Mariota won one playoff game during his rookie contract.
Jared Goff lost the Super Bowl during his rookie contract.
Carson Wentz has never played in a playoff game but his team won the Super Bowl during his rookie contract.
Mitch Trubisky hasn't won a playoff game during his rookie contract.

This doesn't prove any particular point I was just looking into it and figured it would be interesting to see the actual details. 99% was hyperbolic but I think it's still true that the majority of highly drafted QBs are ultimately unsuccessful during their rookie contracts. The "build a super team around the window of your rookie QBs cheap contract" is in vogue now and it's worked in the past, but lamenting Mitch's draft position and his first two years as "wasted on developing" is kinda weird.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

American McGay posted:

This doesn't prove any particular point I was just looking into it and figured it would be interesting to see the actual details. 99% was hyperbolic but I think it's still true that the majority of highly drafted QBs are ultimately unsuccessful during their rookie contracts. The "build a super team around the window of your rookie QBs cheap contract" is in vogue now and it's worked in the past, but lamenting Mitch's draft position and his first two years as "wasted on developing" is kinda weird.

It wasn't actually me saying that originally, but I think the real point is that it's unclear when, if ever, the development will end. He's been the starter for two years now, last year he had the best defense in the entire league and wasn't able to capitalize. And make no mistake, he hosed up bad in the game against the Eagles. That game should've actually been a rout because Trubs made FOUR passes that should've been picks (and one or two would've been pick sixes, likely), and every single one was clearly a panic pass. I actually recorded them, I was planning to upload a little video showing how awful these decisions were. You can't win when you act like that, honestly they're lucky as hell they only lost by one.

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this except that I think people are justified to expect a lot more from Trubisky in his upcoming year 3. This great defense won't last forever, and it's basically his responsibility to back up the great play of his teammates with a some great play of his own.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
As the years go on I'm starting to really feel like the guy who posted that long detroit lions rant on craigslist.

Especially in regards to my stepfather, who got me into this stupid team.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

As the years go on I'm starting to really feel like the guy who posted that long detroit lions rant on craigslist.

Especially in regards to my stepfather, who got me into this stupid team.

I'd love to see that long detroit lions rant from craigslist so that I can get to know you better

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Not that they had the cap space or the assets to get him, but for those weird Bears fans holding out hope they'd somehow reunite with Gould, he just signed his deal for the 49ers.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

American McGay posted:

Not that they had the cap space or the assets to get him, but for those weird Bears fans holding out hope they'd somehow reunite with Gould, he just signed his deal for the 49ers.

It would have been nice to have him back, but there was no way the 49ers were letting him go.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Play posted:

I'd love to see that long detroit lions rant from craigslist so that I can get to know you better

quote:

THE LIONS. THE DETROIT MOTHERFUCKING GODDAMN LIONS. THE BANE OF MY FAMILY. GENERATIONS RUINED BY A LOYALTY TO AN ORGANIZATION FOREVER UNDONE BY AN UTTERLY MALEVOLENT AND IRRESISTIBLE INCOMPETENCE. WE LOVE THEM AND WE loving DESPAIR

THE ONLY loving TIME MY OLD MAN EVER EXPRESSES ANY HOPE OR OPTIMISM IS WHEN FOOTBALL SEASON APPROACHES. "HEY THEYRE LOOKING PRETTY GOOD THIS YEAR. WHO KNOWS?" WHO KNOWS? I loving KNOW AND IVE ONLY BEEN WATCHING THIS loving TEAM HALF AS LONG AS HE HAS. SIX WEEKS INTO THE SEASON THOUGH HE FINALLY GETS IT. THE LIONS DO SOME DUMB poo poo AND HES BACK TO HIS POSTGAME RITUAL OF TRASHING THE PLACE IN A MOTHERFUCKING RAGE AND GOING TO BED AT 5PM

POPS ONCE TOLD ME WITH AN INFUCKINGEXPRESSABLY SAD SERIOUSNESS "I WONT REST IN PEACE UNTIL THE LIONS WIN A SUPER BOWL. I MAY BE DEAD WHEN IT HAPPENS BUT WHEN THEY WIN ONE ILL KNOW." SERIOUSLY HE TOLD ME THAT poo poo ONCE. AND THATS WHY I WILL DESPISE MATT MILLEN UNTIL MY DYING BREATH. MATT MILLEN STOLE EIGHT YEARS FROM MY FATHER. EIGHT LONG YEARS. AND IF I EVER SEE THAT EMIL MUZZ LOOKING MOTHERFUCKER IM GONNA COLLECT THAT DEBT TO THE loving SECOND

loving LIONS. A TEAM SO loving lovely THAT IT MADE AN ARMY FIRST LIEUTENANT SAY gently caress IT I QUIT. WE LEVERAGE LEAGUE LEADERS INTO LOSING SEASONS AND ALLTIME GREATS INTO TOTAL MEDIOCRITY. WE REFLECT OUR CITYS DYSFUNCTION MISMANAGEMENT MISERY AND PIGHEADED STUPIDITY LIKE A loving MIRROR AND WE ALWAYS KID OURSELVES THAT ITS SOMEHOW GETTING BETTER. SQUEAKY FROMME WASNT AS DELUDED AS WE ARE

CHRIST THERES JUST TOO MANY MOMENTS TO CHOOSE FROM. DAN ORLOVSKY TRYING TO MAKE A PLAY FROM ROW 14 IN SECTION 100 AT THE loving METRODOME. STEFAN LOGAN FIELDING A FREE KICK BY TAKING A KNEE ON THE FOUR loving YARD LINE LIKE A loving DUNCE. TITUS YOUNG LOSING HIS ANTIPSYCHOTICS AND GOING ON SOME loving BIZARRE CRIME SPREE THAT MIGHT AS WELL HAVE BEEN DIRECTED BY NEVELDINE/TAYLOR. TATUM BELL GETTING SHITCANNED THEN STEALING HIS TEAMMATES LUGGAGE ON HIS WAY OUT THE DOOR IN A CRIME SO loving PETTY THAT PAULIE GUALTIERI WOULD BLANCH. THIS IS A TEAM WITH A CULTURE SO hosed UP THAT ONE OF THE BEST OFFENSIVE LINEMEN IN OUR TEAM HISTORY PROUDLY DECLARED THAT HE REPEATEDLY LET HIS QB GET DEMOLISHED BECAUSE HE DIDNT LIKE THE GUY. AND THIS WAS BACK WHEN WE ACTUALLY MADE THE loving PLAYOFFS ON A REGULAR BASIS IF YOUR IMAGINATION CAN CONJURE SUCH A CIRCUMSTANCE. THATS OUR LIONS: EVEN WHEN THEYRE FLAILING ON THE CUSP OF GREATNESS THEY STILL FIND TIME TO BACKBITE AND FUMBLEFUCK AROUND. WHATEVER IT TAKES TO gently caress UP AND LET EVERYBODY DOWN. JUST DISAPPOINT BABY!

DRAFT PICKS BURNED LIKE AUTUMN LEAVES. CHARLES ROGERS CAPS HIS 12-GAME PROFESSIONAL CAREER BY THREATENING TO MURDER HIS MOTHER AND PASSING OUT IN HIS BOOTH AT ON THE BORDER IN NOVI LIKE A loving WINO. MIKE WILLIAMS SPENDS TWO YEARS FATTING AROUND IN DETROIT BEFORE GETTING FOLDED INTO A DOGSHIT TRADE WITH OAKLAND THAT ILLUSTRATED THE CONCEPT OF SUNK COST BETTER THAN ANY ECONOMICS TEXTBOOK EVER loving COULD. AND ROY WILLIAMS AFTER ALL HIS LOUDMOUTH BULLSHIT HIS MOST ENDURING CONTRIBUTION TO NFL HISTORY IS CALVIN JOHNSONS NON-SEQUITUR NICKNAME. AND ALL THE WHILE WERE DICKING AROUND WITH THESE LOSERS ANDRE JOHNSON AND DEMARCUS WARE ARE DOWN IN TEXAS RACKING UP ALLPRO HONORS LIKE REGGIE ROGERS RACKS UP VEHICULAR HOMICIDES AND BEN ROETHLISBERGER IS THE ALL-SEEING ALL-RAPING RINGBEARING FOOTBALL GOD OF YINZERLAND. THE MIND REELS

EVEN THE GOOD PICKS ARE WASTED IN THAT SPECIAL DETROIT WAY. MATTHEW STAFFORD? SURE THE loving GUY LOOKS LIKE HE SHOULD BE OUT LOOKING FOR ONE EYED WILLIES TREASURE BUT THE FACT IS HES THE FIRST LIONS QUARTERBACK IN DECADES THATS WORTH A BENT DICK AND YET SOMEHOW AFTER FOUR YEARS IN THE LEAGUE AND A COUPLE SEASONS OF MONSTER STATS AND A PLAYOFF APPEARANCE HIS CAREER HIGHLIGHT REMAINS THAT TIME IN HIS ROOKIE YEAR WHEN HE PEELED HIMSELF OFF THE FIELD TO GET THE WIN IN A SHOOTOUT WITH BRADY loving QUINN OF ALL loving CLIPBOARD STANDS. IT WAS A FEAT OF HEROISM SO BOLD AND SO MEANINGLESS IT WAS LIKE RUNNING INTO A BURNING BUILDING TO SAVE A GOLDFISH. WE WENT 2-14 THAT YEAR AND WE STILL TALK ABOUT THAT GAME LIKE IT WAS OUR PERSONAL loving SEA OF HANDS

AND CALVIN JOHNSON. NOWHERE DO GODS LOOK AS HELPLESS AS THEY DO IN DETROIT. SURE WE WERE ALL PISSED WHEN THAT FRECKLED FUCKSTICK JON GRUDEN SAID CJS RECORDBREAKING SEASON LAST YEAR WAS GARBAGE BUT REALLY HE MAYBE KINDA HAD A LITTLE BIT OF SOMETHING OF SORT OF A loving POINT. WHAT GOOD IS BEING ONE OF THE BEST PLAYERS IN THE LEAGUE WHEN YOUR GAMES DONT MEAN poo poo AND YOURE NEVER GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL? poo poo JUST ASK BARRY SANDERS. GREATEST RUNNING BACK IN THE HISTORY OF THE loving GAME AND THE LIONS DROVE HIM RIGHT THE gently caress OUT OF FOOTBALL ALTOGETHER

COACHES COME TO DETROIT TO loving DIE AND OFTEN RIGHTLY SO. THAT loving IMBECILE MARTY MORNHINWEG FOR INSTANCE. loving GUY WINNING THE COIN TOSS THEN STUPEFUCKINGFYINGLY GIVING THE MOTHERFUCKING BALL TO THE MOTHERFUCKING loving BEARS WHO OF COURSE PROMPTLY SCORE. HE SHOULDVE BEEN COURT-MARTIALED AND EXECUTED RIGHT THEN AND loving THERE. EITHER THEN OR THAT TIME HE MADE SOME BIG PRODUCTION OF ROARING OUT OF PRACTICE ON HIS HARLEY LIKE HE WAS CLAY loving MORROW AND NOT SOME OVERPROMOTED DIPSHIT WITH NO BUSINESS WHATSOEVER MANNING THE CAPTAINS WHEEL. I CAN SCARCELY DREAM UP A MORE FITTING HELL FOR AN rear end in a top hat LIKE THAT THAN BEING TASKED WITH UNTANGLING THE LOW RENT QUARTERBACK CLUSTERFUCK IN THE JETS CAMP

THEN IT WAS STEVE MARIUCCI. THE MITT ROMNEY OF NFL COACHES. THAT BLAND WEATHERMAN VENEER OF COMPETENCE WITH THE UNMISTAKABLE AIR OF A MAN WHO WOULD RATHER BE ANYFUCKINGPLACE ELSE. DUDE ONLY CAME TO DETROIT AS A FAVOR TO HIS FAT STUPID FRIEND WHO WAS TOO loving DUMB TO TAKE CARE OF THINGS HIMSELF. KINDA LIKE NED STARK. TURNED OUT ABOUT THE SAME WAY FOR HIM TOO

AFTER THAT WAS MARINELLI BRINGING THE KIND OF DARK ARITHMETIC THAT TRANSFORMS 6-2 TO 7-9 TO 0-16. ILL GIVE HIM PROPS FOR MAKING JON KITNA HIS GUY THOUGH. I MEAN poo poo YOU HAD TO LIKE KITNA. JUST A SCRAPPY MOTHERFUCKER WITH A LOT OF BALLS AND A LOT LESS TALENT WHO COULD TAKE A HELL OF A BEATING AND TALK REGRETTABLE poo poo WITH THE BEST OF THEM. HE REMINDED ME OF MIKEY WHIPWRECK. EXCEPT MIKEY ACTUALLY WON A CHAMPIONSHIP

NOW ITS COACH SCHWARTZ SWIRLING DOWN THE DRAIN. HE TAKES HIS FASHION CUES FROM THE DOG WHISPERER AND ALL HE THINKS ABOUT ON GAMEDAY IS WHETHER HE SHOULD LISTEN TO BILLY SQUIER OR THE loving SCORPIONS AND HE SWEATS AND STAMMERS THROUGH EVERY loving PRESS CONFERENCE LIKE HES AFRAID WHOOPI GOLDBERG IS GONNA TELL DEMI MOORE THAT HE HIRED WILLIE LOPEZ TO MURDER HIS BEST FRIEND PATRICK SWAYZE. BUT AT LEAST HIS HEARTS IN IT. AND THAT PASSIONS GONNA SERVE HIM WELL IN A YEAR AFTER HES SCORED THAT PLUM ASSISTANT DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR GIG WITH THE JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS

SURE THEYRE MOVING SOME PIECES INTO PLACE THIS YEAR. THEYRE SHORING UP THE SECONDARY THEYVE DONE A HALF DECENT JOB OF REBUILDING THE OFFENSIVE LINE AND THEY MADE SOME SMART FREE AGENT SIGNINGS ESPECIALLY COMPARED TO THAT BULLSHIT "NAH MAN WERE GOOD" OFFSEASON FOLLOWING THE 2011 SEASON. AND OF COURSE CALVIN JOHNSON IS AS INDOMITABLE AS EVER. BUT SEE NONE OF THIS MATTERS. THESE ARE THE DETROIT loving LIONS WERE TALKING ABOUT. EVEN IF ITS THE BEST CASE SCENARIO EVEN IF MY EVERY LAST loving ROCKHARD REGULAR SEASON FANTASY COMES TRUE IN THE END SOMEHOW THEY WILL UNDO IT ALL. THEYLL FIGURE IT OUT. THEYLL FIND A WAY. STAFFORD COULD THROW FOR 5500 YARDS CALVIN JOHNSON COULD BREAK A DOZEN MORE RECORDS FAIRLEY AND SUH COULD TERRORIZE QBS LIKE A COUPLE OF loving RHINOCEROSES EVERY WEEK AND THEY COULD BATTER THEIR WAY TO AN 12-4 RECORD AND THEY WILL STILL GET BOUNCED IN THE FIRST ROUND BY THE PHILADELPHIA loving EAGLES OR SOME OTHER JUST-GLAD-TO-BE-HERE NO-SHOT poo poo SQUAD IN A DEADLY DULL 10-3 DETROIT DOGFUCKING. BECAUSE WHEN IT COMES TO THE DETROIT LIONS THERE IS NO FAIRY TALE. THE COACH IS A PUMPKIN AND CINDERELLAS JUST A DUMB WHORE IN RAGS. ITS ALL JUST A BIG JERKOFF. A SADISTIC loving TORTURE GAME PUT ON FOR THE AMUSEMENT OF MILLIONAIRES WITH MISTER RICTUS HIMSELF WILLIAM CLAY loving FORD SENIOR PULLING THE STRINGS. HA HA MADE YA CARE!

UGH. loving LIONS

Play
Apr 25, 2006

can't argue with that

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

"What a meaningless and absurd way to spend money on something to make you feel like you're literally a part of the Packers organization" I scoff as I glance up to my framed Packers stock certificate

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

How have I never seen this?

The best thing about this is that you can tell it was written right before a very precipitous fall for the Lions. In the course of a couple years, Suh is gone. Megatron retires. This is almost prophetic.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Sataere posted:

How have I never seen this?

The best thing about this is that you can tell it was written right before a very precipitous fall for the Lions. In the course of a couple years, Suh is gone. Megatron retires. This is almost prophetic.

On the other hand, swap out some of the players and change the dates and you could write the exact same screed now.

lions fandom is eternal torment, it always has been and always will be, inshallah

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Acebuckeye13 posted:

On the other hand, swap out some of the players and change the dates and you could write the exact same screed now.

lions fandom is eternal torment, it always has been and always will be, inshallah

If it weren't for the Lions, I would still believe in stupid things like hope and happiness.

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to live in a city with a football team that makes it deep into the playoffs once and awhile. I bet it makes you a better person.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

GNU Order posted:

"What a meaningless and absurd way to spend money on something to make you feel like you're literally a part of the Packers organization" I scoff as I glance up to my framed Packers stock certificate

Packers made under 800k in net profit last year. A 98% drop. They need to make money somehow.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
Well their ownership is dying of heart disease left and right, I don't think anything will help that except for banning trans fats in the state.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

If it weren't for the Lions, I would still believe in stupid things like hope and happiness.

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to live in a city with a football team that makes it deep into the playoffs once and awhile. I bet it makes you a better person.

Someone's never met a Boston fan

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1153620561878290433

Slay might be as important if not moreso than Stafford to the Lions, because if he's not starting then Teez Tabor might be, and you might as well just forfeit at that point

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

tinstaach posted:

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1153620561878290433

Slay might be as important if not moreso than Stafford to the Lions, because if he's not starting then Teez Tabor might be, and you might as well just forfeit at that point

Teez is such a disappointing bust.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Teez is such a disappointing bust.

I really hope he can turn it around. He seems incredibly humbled and self critical this season, and a good guy.

Really though last season, you have to put some of that on coaching. Granted our offense was not exactly iron to sharpen iron, but what was he showing in practice? It's one thing to have a bad player, it's another to continue to put him on the field and allow him to be a liability to the team. This is the same team that let Matthew Stafford continue to play with a loving broke back and bad knee, and refuses to get a remotely competent backup.

Draft busts happen but there are bigger things to worry about with the Lions.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Styles Bitchley posted:

I really hope he can turn it around. He seems incredibly humbled and self critical this season, and a good guy.

Really though last season, you have to put some of that on coaching. Granted our offense was not exactly iron to sharpen iron, but what was he showing in practice? It's one thing to have a bad player, it's another to continue to put him on the field and allow him to be a liability to the team. This is the same team that let Matthew Stafford continue to play with a loving broke back and bad knee, and refuses to get a remotely competent backup.

Draft busts happen but there are bigger things to worry about with the Lions.

Completely agreed.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mike Daniels cut. Gutey going to talk about it this afternoon.

https://twitter.com/AaronNagler/status/1154042221823291392

Seems like it's a combination of him getting older and becoming a rotational piece instead of an every-down lineman, his huge cap hit, and Kenny Clark becoming dominant. I'm not really too worried here as the Packers historically have been pretty good about timing their cuts to older linemen. On top of that between Za'Darius Smith, Blake Martinez, and Jaire Alexander, there's plenty of leaders on the defense now -- that wasn't the case a few years ago when it was really just Daniels trying to get everyone riled up.

I'll miss him though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
How many kickers do the Bears have still? Can we get a Hard Knocks show that is solely focused on only Bears Kickers?