Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Cross posting

NTRabbit posted:

:pgabz: OATH COMPLETE :pgabz:

He's now an Ogre captain on chariot with magnetised left arm, shield

and crossbow

Might as well claim a challenge, his melee weapon is cobbled together from a skewer, a one handed sword, and a one handed axe, and placed in a drilled out hand where the sword used to be, and the crossbow is converted by having the right hand cut off of it from a regular two handed crossbow, plus he's a foot Ogre I went at with a dremel so he could fit onto the back of his new woolly rhino buddy

Keen eyes may spot the new heraldry for my Ogre company that the thread helped me with.

I think in the future I might add some reins, and maybe a 'wrapped leather' lower grip below the hand on the halberd, but otherwise I'm pleased with how it turned out.

He looks angry, someone should buy him a beer

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Apr 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
Hey dudes I'm getting into Warhammer 10th Age:Kings of War and am a chaos dwarf player.

How does this 2k list look?

Abyssal Dwarfs (Evil)
Gargoyles* Infantry
Troop(10)
- Diadem of Dragon-kind

Slave Orc Gore Riders* Cavalry
Regiment(10)
- Quicksilver Rapier

Abyssal Halfbreeds Cavalry
Regiment(10)
- Maccwar’s Potion of the Caterpillar

Abyssal Grotesques Large Cavalry
Horde(6)
- Blessing of the Gods
Horde(6)
- Kaba’s Holy Hand Grenades

Angkor Heavy Mortar War Engine x2

Overmaster on Great Abyssal Dragon Hero (Mon)
- The Boomstick

Supreme Iron-caster on Great Winged Halfbreed Hero (Mon)
- Lightning Bolt (3)
- Scarletmaw’s Fenulian Amulet

Brakki Barka[1] Hero (Cav)

Plan of Battle

1. Set up the Abyssal Grotesques as the middle of the line with the two Angkor Heavy Mortar directly behind them.
2. Place the Iron-casteron mount to the left of one Angkor Heavy Mortar and the Overmaster to the right of the other.
3. Put the Halfbreeds and Brakki on the same side as the Iron-caster.
4. Place the Wolf riders and Gargoyles on the same side as the Overmaster

Goal would be to hold back and shoot with spells / war engines as long as possible.
Then charge the Grotesques into the main blocks on the opposing army, Support with the mounted heros.
Once stuck in then combo charge with the Halfbreeds and gargoyles.
Hold the wold riders in reserve to hit a Hero or defend the Iromn-Caster.

Pros of this army:
The slowest thing is a SP 7. 3 flying units. Everything hits relatively hard.

What downsides do you folks see?

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

moths posted:

Cross-posting this guy from the oath thread!

:sigh: I honestly thought rice bloodworms would look better than that. They might be more effective with some kind of water-slime effect, but that's a project for another day.

Drug mule smuggling too many condoms and then entered a hot dog eating contest?

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
Best source for bases in the US?

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

KingFisher posted:

Hey dudes I'm getting into Warhammer 10th Age:Kings of War and am a chaos dwarf player.

How does this 2k list look?

Abyssal Dwarfs (Evil)
Gargoyles* Infantry
Troop(10)
- Diadem of Dragon-kind

Slave Orc Gore Riders* Cavalry
Regiment(10)
- Quicksilver Rapier

Abyssal Halfbreeds Cavalry
Regiment(10)
- Maccwar’s Potion of the Caterpillar

Abyssal Grotesques Large Cavalry
Horde(6)
- Blessing of the Gods
Horde(6)
- Kaba’s Holy Hand Grenades

Angkor Heavy Mortar War Engine x2

Overmaster on Great Abyssal Dragon Hero (Mon)
- The Boomstick

Supreme Iron-caster on Great Winged Halfbreed Hero (Mon)
- Lightning Bolt (3)
- Scarletmaw’s Fenulian Amulet

Brakki Barka[1] Hero (Cav)

Plan of Battle

1. Set up the Abyssal Grotesques as the middle of the line with the two Angkor Heavy Mortar directly behind them.
2. Place the Iron-casteron mount to the left of one Angkor Heavy Mortar and the Overmaster to the right of the other.
3. Put the Halfbreeds and Brakki on the same side as the Iron-caster.
4. Place the Wolf riders and Gargoyles on the same side as the Overmaster

Goal would be to hold back and shoot with spells / war engines as long as possible.
Then charge the Grotesques into the main blocks on the opposing army, Support with the mounted heros.
Once stuck in then combo charge with the Halfbreeds and gargoyles.
Hold the wold riders in reserve to hit a Hero or defend the Iromn-Caster.

Pros of this army:
The slowest thing is a SP 7. 3 flying units. Everything hits relatively hard.

What downsides do you folks see?

You have a lot of magic items. Imo, in KoW you should have boys before toys. If you get out manouvered and flanked because he has more units than you, no magic item in the game will save you.

Also, isn't the Diadem the item that lets you use two Ranged attacks in a round? Gargoyles don't have Ranged attacks. Beside, they are chaff and should be as cheap as possible. Same with slave orcs. Remember they are Yellow-bellied, so don't count on them getting into combat.

The caterpillar potion is a good choice on cav regiments.

The hand grenade is pretty short ranged and your horde might be charged before they get to use it.

Remember that the mortars can't see much if they are stuck behind the grotesques. Indirect Fire still needs LoS.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
If anyone's interested in buying Dreadball Xtreme stuff at a discount, I have all of it

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

KingFisher posted:

I don't know about best, but if you're fine with laser cut MDF for movement trays/unit bases these guys and these guys have been recommended before in the main facebook group

Not a viking posted:

Also, isn't the Diadem the item that lets you use two Ranged attacks in a round?

No, the diadem adds breath attack (10) to a unit

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Apr 2, 2016

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Since Not a viking has posted his list and gotten feedback, I suppose I will similarly crap up the thread with a theory list hoping for some advice. I'm trying to turn my 1500 points of Averland from early 7th Ed. into something workable for 1500 points of Kingdoms of Men. This is what it looks like at the moment:

Kingdoms of Men (Neutral)
  • Foot Guard Regiment (20) [State Troops]
    - Pipes of Terror
  • Foot Guard Regiment (20), exchanged shields for two-handed weapons [Greatswords]
    - Dwarven Ale
  • Heavy Pike Block Regiment (20) [Halberdiers]
    - Brew of Courage
  • Bowmen Troop (10) [Huntsmen]
    - Fire Oil
  • Arquebusiers Regiment (20) [Handgunners]
    - Brew of Keen-eyedness
  • Knights Regiment (10) [Knights of the Inner Circle]
    - Maccwar's Potion of the Caterpillar
  • Mounted Scouts Troop (5), exchanged bows for pistols [Pistoliers]
  • Cannon [Great Cannon]
  • Cannon [Helblaster Volley Gun]
  • General, mounted on horse [Warrior Priest]
    - Healing Charm
  • Army Standard Bearer [Captain Battle Standard Bearer]
    - Kevinar's Flying Hammer
  • Wizard [Battle Wizard of Fire]
    - Bane Chant (2)
    - Myrddin's Amulet of the Fire-heart

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

It looks a little heavy on the Magic Items there, you could probably afford another Troop of something by dropping a bunch of them, which would help protect you from outflanking.

Also maybe look at the Rhodia list in Uncharted Armies, I feel that's more Empire-Like (they have more war engines, steam tanks, demigryphs and griffons for heroes albeit with changed names to protect the innocent).

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I hate seeing awesome Empire cannons get turned into generic units so I threw together a League of Rhordia list just for laughs so you can compare. The only thing I couldn't get into it was all three of your heroes. The other thing is that I had to proxy your scouts as mounted halflings with bows, but it's not a big deal.

code:
House Guard Regiment - Great Swords
City Militia Regiment - State Troops
Musket Block Regiment - Handgunners 
Crossbow Block Troop - Archers (I picked crossbows so they wouldn't be halflings)
Dogs of War Regiment - Halbediers
Household Knights - Knights of the Inner Circle
Halfling Ranger Cavalry - Pistoliers
Howitzer - Great Cannon
Volleygun - Volleygun
Duke with Horse - Warrior Priest
Army Standard Bearer - Standard Bearer
That's only 1290 points. You've got room to play with magic items or bump the crossbows to a regiment so you can get the mage in. Just a thought.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Zark the Damned posted:

It looks a little heavy on the Magic Items there, you could probably afford another Troop of something by dropping a bunch of them, which would help protect you from outflanking.

Also maybe look at the Rhodia list in Uncharted Armies, I feel that's more Empire-Like (they have more war engines, steam tanks, demigryphs and griffons for heroes albeit with changed names to protect the innocent).

Yeah, clocking in at 155 the magic items are definitely there to pad out the list or are there a bit for flavour items (such as giving Greatswords Foot Guard the Dwarven Brew to simulate Stubborn). At 1500, how much is "enough" to spend on artifacts anyway? My main problem is I lack in additional models and the absolutely insane prices raises from when I originally collected this army makes me feel I have my hands tied a bit unless I get very lucky on second-hand. :siren:DO NOT GIVE GW MONEY:siren: I didn't own an immense number of War Engines (just the Volley Gun/Rocket Battery and one Great Cannon), and Steam Tanks, Demigryphs (which didn't exist) and Gryphons are not pieces that I have and so won't seek to collect at the ridiculous markups, even on eBay. I definitely was more drawn in by things like the Detachment rules and requiring units to work in orchestra as opposed to a deluge of special rules or gaming the magic phase; 6th Edition was definitely more my jam, but I got into Empire (too) late to enjoy that.

Should I really enjoy KoW, I have been considering Perry Miniatures' rather handsome 1450-1500 Mercenaries, but knowing that these are not bizarro Heroic scale would likely fail to mesh with the rest of the army's look and would rather serve to replace them, meaning starting from scratch which I am not eager to do. With the capacity for unit fillers and the like, I am willing to go bigger, but I really wanted to start simple without doing a mere 1000 points, as I doubt many people would want to play such a size for long.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I hate seeing awesome Empire cannons get turned into generic units so I threw together a League of Rhordia list just for laughs so you can compare. The only thing I couldn't get into it was all three of your heroes. The other thing is that I had to proxy your scouts as mounted halflings with bows, but it's not a big deal.

That's only 1290 points. You've got room to play with magic items or bump the crossbows to a regiment so you can get the mage in. Just a thought.
I appreciate the quick work you did on it, and it's something I would definitely consider. I do like the simplicity of Kingdoms of Men however, and if I go with that Perry Miniatures alternative, I'd likely stick with them over Rhordia. The other idea would be to take some Rhordia as allies, where I would replace the regiment of Knights with Household Knights for the requirement to bring a Volley Gun, though I don't know how well that would go without a Halfling Engineer, given the Volley Gun's rules.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Just saw and ended up grabbing the 2 player KoW battle set in a local store and holy poo poo that's a lot of plastic for just £50 and a free metal Necromancer for good measure. Add in the skeleton warriors and the vampire count I spammed the painting thread with what's a good way of utilizing:

code:
- 40 Skeletons (I have 20 armed with Swords and Shields)
- 20 Ghouls
- 20 Zombies
- 1 x Necromancer
- 1 x Vampire
There's also the Dwarves that came with the starter so would there be a way of maybe allying them maybe as Abyssal Dwarves? or is there another Faction that would make a good proxy from Uncharted Empires that would mix them in?

code:
- 10 Ironclad  with Hammers or Axes
- 10 Ironwatch with Crossbows or Rifles (or 2 sets of 5 Rangers I guess)
- 10 Shield Breakers with 2 handed hammers
- Cannon/Organ Gun (I could shift this up to undead and model it as a Balefire too)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

KingFisher posted:

https://www.deathraydesigns.com

If you don't see what you want, shoot him an email. His custom prices are fair

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

richyp posted:

Just saw and ended up grabbing the 2 player KoW battle set in a local store and holy poo poo that's a lot of plastic for just £50 and a free metal Necromancer for good measure. Add in the skeleton warriors and the vampire count I spammed the painting thread with what's a good way of utilizing:

code:
- 40 Skeletons (I have 20 armed with Swords and Shields)
- 20 Ghouls
- 20 Zombies
- 1 x Necromancer
- 1 x Vampire
There's also the Dwarves that came with the starter so would there be a way of maybe allying them maybe as Abyssal Dwarves? or is there another Faction that would make a good proxy from Uncharted Empires that would mix them in?

code:
- 10 Ironclad  with Hammers or Axes
- 10 Ironwatch with Crossbows or Rifles (or 2 sets of 5 Rangers I guess)
- 10 Shield Breakers with 2 handed hammers
- Cannon/Organ Gun (I could shift this up to undead and model it as a Balefire too)

You could pretend they're halflings who ate second breakfast and elevenses too many times over the years, run them as neutral League of Rhordia allies - a troop each of anything from militia, spear militia, scouts, crossbow block, or musket block from that list, plus a halfling howitzer. Otherwise yeah, easy enough to make them out as abyssal dwarves.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Apr 3, 2016

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Here's my latest goofy elf list. 1200 points.

code:
Stormwind Cavalry Regiment - Maccwar's Potion of the Caterpillar
Stormwind Cavalry Troop
Silverbreeze Cavalry Troop - Jar of the Four Winds
Therennian Sea Guard Regiment - Brew of Keen-Eyeness
Kindred Tallspears Troop
Kindred Gladestalkers Troop
Noble War Chariot - Inspiring Talisman
Bolt Thrower
It's light on Inspiring I know, but it should be pretty complimentary.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The largest Fantasy tournament in my state, which I think has been running for at least a decade (I found 2008 photos, and photos from 2010 showing their replacement perpetual trophy after the old one was stolen in a fire), is now the largest Kings of War tournament in my state, as of the 2016 edition in June.

2k points, 4 rounds, if I'm financially able to go, I'll be there with my Ogres.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
Which tournament is that?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Daedleh posted:

Which tournament is that?

quote:

Group North Historical Wargaming Society will be returning the Crows Feast competition, now as a Kings of War tournament. This will be the biggest Kings of War competition in South Australia.

It's only a small pond though, 2 confirmed and 11 interested since it was put up today, I think he's hoping for 20 or 30.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
I googled around and I checked ebay but I can't find decent and cheap skeleton archers. There are a few places that have models but not many, and they are expensive and very static. I would be happy with the mantic ones, but the plastic metal combo sounds tedious and $3 per model hurts when I am looking for 40.

I am addicted to deals thanks to bones, big army bundles and ebay deals. Anyone got a source for decent and cheap skelly archers?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

WhiteOutMouse posted:

I googled around and I checked ebay but I can't find decent and cheap skeleton archers. There are a few places that have models but not many, and they are expensive and very static. I would be happy with the mantic ones, but the plastic metal combo sounds tedious and $3 per model hurts when I am looking for 40.

I am addicted to deals thanks to bones, big army bundles and ebay deals. Anyone got a source for decent and cheap skelly archers?

The only skeleton archers I can think of that aren't Mantic and GW is Wargames Factory, but they're since sold all their stuff to Warlord Games. Which aren't available on their site yet. Seven-odd months later :sigh:

Your only other option then, is to find cheap archers and then skeleton-ize them with head and limb swaps. Which isn't ideal, but it might be the cheapest option available. Personally I might just go the Castlevania route and just have skeletons throwing their own bones because why the hell not.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Reaper sells some in their Bones range.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Third unit for my Vampire Counts Undead with a Vampire Hero army (I cheaped out on the model count because I'm lazy)

Just realised I forgot to paint the base edges brown.

Tokimon
Mar 29, 2007

WhiteOutMouse posted:

I bought a few sets of these guys from Black tree designs, the sculpts are a little bit goofy by todays standards but for me they do the job and are pretty cheap.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Probably still some time away, but Mantic is going to produce egyptian skellies

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Because Mantic love to pick up the money GW drops.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

richyp posted:

Third unit for my Vampire Counts Undead with a Vampire Hero army (I cheaped out on the model count because I'm lazy)

I love these guys but they really do look too sparse, just two or three more would complete it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Saint Drogo posted:

I love these guys but they really do look too sparse, just two or three more would complete it.

My suggestion would be to pull the feet out of the front, use them to replace the blank ground 3 back in the same row, shuffle the emerging zombie to the front of the tray, and put another standing zombie behind it. I think that ought to be enough.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Yeah I think you're probably leaving a bit too much space on the front rank there.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Ugleb posted:

Yeah I think you're probably leaving a bit too much space on the front rank there.

Thanks for the feedback guys, they're positioned like that because that's the order I put washed the bases and put them down to dry before taking the picture :)

I was thinking more 3,3,2,2 or 3,2,3,2 for the number of Zombies on each row. I've also got another 10 that I was going to butcher for bits to make a few more variations for the 20 or so Ghouls I have, so I can do a couple more bursting out of the ground ones to pad out the tray some more.

I was thinking originally of them arranged like this (sorry for the blur I can't seem to get a decent group shot with my good camera for some reason).

EDIT: Group shot, still blurry but the colours look better, interesting how much darker the same turquoise colours look over grey primer (zombies) compared to the white primer (skeletons and Vampire)

richyp fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 5, 2016

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

richyp posted:

Love the work, though the placement of the zombie in the second row far left looks like he's blowing out a birthday candle in the boot.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

richyp posted:

(sorry for the blur I can't seem to get a decent group shot with my good camera for some reason).

Your photo has a very narrow depth of field. So, the midground is in focus but the foreground and background is not. This indicates you are taking photos at too wide of an aperture.

To improve the depth of field, you can set a decent camera to Aperture Priority Mode (typically shown as "Ap" on a camera dial mode selector). Select a midrange to lower aperture. Then, when you take the photo, your camera will compensate: with a smaller hole to let light in (and presumably no change in how you're lighting the subject), the camera will take a longer exposure. If you are using a tripod or bracing the camera against something, a longer exposure will be fine. (For handheld photography or photography of moving subjects you usually want shorter exposure times to minimize motion blur caused by the camera/the subject moving while the shutter is open.)

If your camera does not have an aperture priority mode, it may still have a Manual mode: in this case, you'll need to manually set aperture, exposure time, and perhaps also manually focus. Again though, you can select a medium to small aperture, and then try photos at various exposure lengths to get the brightness right.

e. With your second photo, the entire subject is blurry. I suspect you backed up and took the photo by hand, and that your longer exposure time is causing some motion blur. Either that, or your (auto?)focus isn't focusing on the subject.

e2. You can generally improve everything with more light, btw. More light means the camera can take shorter exposures for a given aperture, so you get both better depth of field, and better results when shooting handheld. 90% of the time if someone is having trouble getting a good photo, the #1 fix is to add more light shining from above or behind the photographer, onto the subject.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 5, 2016

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Leperflesh posted:

Awesome advice.

Thanks for the tips :)

A couple years ago I inherited my dad's Canon Eos 400D but I have no idea how to use it properly I tend to just piss about with about 5 shots from various distances (holding the camera as I don't have a tripod).

At the moment I have the ISO at 100, f3.5 and the shutter speed at 1/40. The exposure is usually between 1 and 1.5 on the -2 to +2 scale thing. For individual models it works great like that but like you say it's focusing on a small space and it's driving me crazy. I've tried manual focus but I can't seem to get it any better than the posted image.

For lighting I have my painting lamp on a boom arm so I tend to drag it over and in front of the model(s) at about 2' above and angled down at about 45 degrees, usually this works great but sometimes I need to boost the white balance a bit in gimp afterwards to fix the colours.

Through lots of trial and error and no photography skills I've figured out that if I increase the iso I need to lower the shutter speed to let enough light in and at a higher iso the pictures aren't as sharp.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Warning: camera infodump forthcoming. This might be a better conversation for The Dorkroom, but ahh fuckit, everyone takes pictures of their minis, right?

ISO is a holdover from film camera days, but it does still have meaning in the digital camera world. Basically it's the "sensitivity" setting you're setting on the camera's CCD. At higher ISOs, the camera will record info from the CCD at a more sensitive level - that is, each pixel is being queried and recorded "more". Typically what this really means is that you've got less light coming into the camera, so you're telling the camera to "be more sensitive" to what light is coming in, and that means you can take a shorter exposure/less aperture and still record useful images.

However, the higher the ISO, the more "grainy" the photo will be. Exactly how grainy is strongly correlated with how new and expensive the camera is, because improvements in CCD quality and performance at high ISOs is one of the major areas of technological advancement. So, with a fairly old digital camera, you're right to want to avoid grainy high-ISO shots.

That said, ISO 100 corresponds to very bright outdoor sunlight. A typical ISO for outdoor shooting in normal conditions is 200 or 400. I use ISO 400 as my default for indoors photography, and go to 800 when I'm shooting in the dark or at night. So I think ISO 100 is probably way way too low for what you're doing. By telling the camera "this poo poo is super bright yo" you're asking it to restrict the aperture and take as fast a photo as possible, in order to protect the CCD from being overwhelmed. Even at this setting, your shutter speeds are very low, though. More on why in a bit.

Next: the actual f-stop is going to depend on the lens you're using and its performance. So I can't really know if f/3.5 is good or bad. One thing you should not be doing, though, is zooming - if you are using a zoom lens, have it all the way out (widest angle view) and adjust distance of the camera to the target to get the framing you want. Zooming inherently reduces the amount of light getting into the lens.

A shutter speed of 1/40 is pretty drat low. Given your ISO 100 setting, I think your big problem is... wait for it.... lighting. You don't have anywhere near enough light. You should have enough light that at ISO 400, not zoomed, a reasonable distance of camera-to-subject (say, a couple feet), you're getting shots at 1/125 or 1/500 shutter speeds even at smaller apertures.

You can't really judge your lighting based on how it looks to your eye. That's because your eye has a built in shutter priority setting: you don't have much ISO adjustment in your eyeball, and your shutter is almost always locked open when you're not blinking, so your eyeball adjusts exposure by opening and closing its aperture - the iris. It does this without your conscious control. So without a mirror, you can't tell if you're in a dim scene but your iris is wide open, or a bright scene but your iris is closed way down.

The solution to this is metering: physically measuring the light. Fortunately most cameras have built-in metering these days (your 400D definitely does). When you hold the button down partway, the camera does through-the-lens metering, taking into account all the rest of your settings, and programs the shutter and aperture accordingly. The -2 to +2 scale is not an absolute scale: it's basically the camera going "OK, given the ISO settings and any other settings the user has put in, such as (in aperture priority mode) the aperture or (in shutter priority mode) the shutter speed or (in full manual mode) both... is there too much light, just the right amount of light, or not enough light?

Just the right amount of light would be at the "0" point of the scale. So what you're seeing is that, with a pretty slow shutter speed (way too slow to be taking hand-held photos), a way too low ISO, a probably reasonable f-stop, and the aperture blown wide open, you're getting photos that the camera thinks are a little overexposed. Which makes sense given how white the background is, because (unless you've set it) it's probably doing some kind of area metering or maybe center-weighted area metering - averaging the light from the entire scene, most of which is your white background, possibly biasing a bit for the point at the center of the frame, and then going from that.

How to fix? More light. A tripod will do wonders for you, because it'll let you handle those slower exposures. A non-white background will help your camera properly meter the subject. Aperture priority mode will let you expand the depth of field. But most of all, you need moooore liiiiight. You'll struggle to get good photos without it.

Let me know how it goes!

e. Oh, one more thing: white balancing has to do with color temperatures of lighting and not how much lighting there is. If your camera doesn't have built-in white balancing (it might, check for a feature) you can do it later in gimp/lightroom/photoshop/whatever, like you're already doing. But needing to do that has more to do with what kind of lighting you're using (flourescent, incandescent, etc.) rather than how much lighting you're using.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 5, 2016

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Leperflesh posted:

Warning: camera infodump forthcoming. This might be a better conversation for The Dorkroom, but ahh fuckit, everyone takes pictures of their minis, right?

ISO is a holdover from film camera days, but it does still have meaning in the digital camera world. Basically it's the "sensitivity" setting you're setting on the camera's CCD. At higher ISOs, the camera will record info from the CCD at a more sensitive level - that is, each pixel is being queried and recorded "more". Typically what this really means is that you've got less light coming into the camera, so you're telling the camera to "be more sensitive" to what light is coming in, and that means you can take a shorter exposure/less aperture and still record useful images.

However, the higher the ISO, the more "grainy" the photo will be. Exactly how grainy is strongly correlated with how new and expensive the camera is, because improvements in CCD quality and performance at high ISOs is one of the major areas of technological advancement. So, with a fairly old digital camera, you're right to want to avoid grainy high-ISO shots.

That said, ISO 100 corresponds to very bright outdoor sunlight. A typical ISO for outdoor shooting in normal conditions is 200 or 400. I use ISO 400 as my default for indoors photography, and go to 800 when I'm shooting in the dark or at night. So I think ISO 100 is probably way way too low for what you're doing. By telling the camera "this poo poo is super bright yo" you're asking it to restrict the aperture and take as fast a photo as possible, in order to protect the CCD from being overwhelmed. Even at this setting, your shutter speeds are very low, though. More on why in a bit.

Next: the actual f-stop is going to depend on the lens you're using and its performance. So I can't really know if f/3.5 is good or bad. One thing you should not be doing, though, is zooming - if you are using a zoom lens, have it all the way out (widest angle view) and adjust distance of the camera to the target to get the framing you want. Zooming inherently reduces the amount of light getting into the lens.

A shutter speed of 1/40 is pretty drat low. Given your ISO 100 setting, I think your big problem is... wait for it.... lighting. You don't have anywhere near enough light. You should have enough light that at ISO 400, not zoomed, a reasonable distance of camera-to-subject (say, a couple feet), you're getting shots at 1/125 or 1/500 shutter speeds even at smaller apertures.

You can't really judge your lighting based on how it looks to your eye. That's because your eye has a built in shutter priority setting: you don't have much ISO adjustment in your eyeball, and your shutter is almost always locked open when you're not blinking, so your eyeball adjusts exposure by opening and closing its aperture - the iris. It does this without your conscious control. So without a mirror, you can't tell if you're in a dim scene but your iris is wide open, or a bright scene but your iris is closed way down.

The solution to this is metering: physically measuring the light. Fortunately most cameras have built-in metering these days (your 400D definitely does). When you hold the button down partway, the camera does through-the-lens metering, taking into account all the rest of your settings, and programs the shutter and aperture accordingly. The -2 to +2 scale is not an absolute scale: it's basically the camera going "OK, given the ISO settings and any other settings the user has put in, such as (in aperture priority mode) the aperture or (in shutter priority mode) the shutter speed or (in full manual mode) both... is there too much light, just the right amount of light, or not enough light?

Just the right amount of light would be at the "0" point of the scale. So what you're seeing is that, with a pretty slow shutter speed (way too slow to be taking hand-held photos), a way too low ISO, a probably reasonable f-stop, and the aperture blown wide open, you're getting photos that the camera thinks are a little overexposed. Which makes sense given how white the background is, because (unless you've set it) it's probably doing some kind of area metering or maybe center-weighted area metering - averaging the light from the entire scene, most of which is your white background, possibly biasing a bit for the point at the center of the frame, and then going from that.

How to fix? More light. A tripod will do wonders for you, because it'll let you handle those slower exposures. A non-white background will help your camera properly meter the subject. Aperture priority mode will let you expand the depth of field. But most of all, you need moooore liiiiight. You'll struggle to get good photos without it.

Let me know how it goes!

e. Oh, one more thing: white balancing has to do with color temperatures of lighting and not how much lighting there is. If your camera doesn't have built-in white balancing (it might, check for a feature) you can do it later in gimp/lightroom/photoshop/whatever, like you're already doing. But needing to do that has more to do with what kind of lighting you're using (flourescent, incandescent, etc.) rather than how much lighting you're using.

You are awesome and are now my new best friend.

Iso 400, f3.5, shutter speed 1/125, still hand held but I gave up smoking a year ago and the shakes have stopped and this is in a dark room with just my painting light over the models. Here's the result:

The light is slightly off centre hence why the skeletons are slightly brighter than the zombies but I rarely take shots of more than one unit.

Time to redo all my photo's from the last couple of months and annoy the mini thread (Not really)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I asked over in the Warhmmer thread, but this is probably more specific to Mantic!

Who makes the best third-party Dwarf Slayer heads? I love the Brock riders but the rest of my dwarfs have smaller heads and they'd just look weird next to each other. (The Avatars of War plastics are perfect, but don't seem to come separately.)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Anvil Industry has some dwarf stuff http://anvilindustry.co.uk/Miniatures-of-the-North/Fallen-Dwarves

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Whoa - man those look really nice.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

I've added your posts to the painting thread, as before the only info I had for photography was a (helpful but lengthy) link to Tale of Painters. If you want to adapt what you've put beyond the minimal additions I've done here's the post at the moment: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3705692&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post442594526

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I've been posting in the WHFB thread but I played my first KoW game this weekend, and I'm freeing myself from the shackles of GW going forward. It is a legit Good Game (tm).

Doubleposting this but I'd like iput from people that have been playing KoW for some time. I am designing some tokens for our local laser-cutter-having nerd and I'm trying to see if there are any specific ones that you would find useful. I have a full 12" x 12" sheet of acrylic to play with so I am somewhat limited unless I want to pay for a larger batch on a second sheet.

So far I've settled on:

6 x Wavered
6 x Disordered
4 x Hindered
7 x Objective Markers
3 x Loot Tokens

Here is the WIP, black lines are cuts, red sections will be raster engraved:

The radius on the markers is generally 15mm so they are not huge and I have some more sheet space to work with. I'll be adding Bane Chant markers, a corner/facing tool, Nerve test markers (probably x6). I cold also design multipart pieces like wound counters or a turn counter but I'm not exactly sure how to do that so those would be lower on the list of options.

Anything else you'd suggest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
I can't remember (cause I think you changed avatars) but were you one of the people on the fence about KoW like I was?

Everyone I know who looked at it and said 'looks bland' changes their tune.