Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

DisDisDis posted:

the fall of zorak ushered in the berserk golden age arc of the forums where the current mod used to get repeatedly probed for posting fat anime titties with us

By this analogy, does this make me Femto? :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Furnaceface posted:

Im in a bit of a funk and having a hard time sticking with any of the shows Im attempting to watch. Maybe Im just burnt out on mystery/drama and need to move on to something else.

Anyone got some good recommendations for short (10-20 eps) shows that strike a good balance of serious and comedy?

Planet With might be a good pick. Also

Spiritus Nox posted:

Maybe A Place Further Than The Universe?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The Colonel posted:

nadesico is 26 eps, but if you like giant robots it fits that definition pretty tightly

Im one of those weirdos that does not enjoy giant robots/mechs. :(

Spiritus Nox posted:

Maybe A Place Further Than The Universe?

I tried watching this while it aired and just couldnt get into it at all.

AnoHito posted:

Toradora!

Im dumb this is actually on my list of shows to watch so I think I will start here!

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Furnaceface posted:

Anyone got some good recommendations for short (10-20 eps) shows that strike a good balance of serious and comedy?

Kyousougiga!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hmmm....maaaaaaaaaaaybe Mob Psycho 100?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Just assume Ive watched the majority of highly rated/popular shows of the last 2-3 years.

My anime watching only started in 2017 so anything prior to that is probably a safe bet to recommend.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
The Devil is a Part-Timer.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Furnaceface posted:

Just assume Ive watched the majority of highly rated/popular shows of the last 2-3 years.

My anime watching only started in 2017 so anything prior to that is probably a safe bet to recommend.

Cobra The Animation
Silver Spoon
Chaika -The Coffin Princess-

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

akanesasu shoujo? there's a lot of character based comedy but it takes the characters and their arcs seriously

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

Hakugei: Legend of the Moby Dick

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Zorak started out as a mod when ADTRW really was the pedo-infested shithole the rest of the forums thought it was, cleaned it out, and was a good enough mod for a while.

People say this a lot but I'm pretty sure it was largely cleared up under Menacer and Zorak was more making sure it stayed that way, which he did tbf.

Acerbatus posted:

iirc the lovely series was a loli fanservice series, and justly shut down considering the atmosphere at the time.

He was actually most vocal about telling people not to talk about OreImo, I think to some extent this got conflated with the tvtropes thread declaring Kodomo no Jikan 'the show that must not be named' but anyone posting in ADTRW could figure out not to post about that without needing to be told.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I maintain that "banning for pedophilia" is like the minimum possible standard for moderation and not exactly something to brag about as your one accomplishment.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

A minimum possible standard that was being failed before and has been failed again afterward.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Furnaceface posted:

Im in a bit of a funk and having a hard time sticking with any of the shows Im attempting to watch. Maybe Im just burnt out on mystery/drama and need to move on to something else.

Depends on what you mean by serious, but YuruCamp is a good mix of comedy with contemplating the beauty of nature and the logistics of getting to where you can contemplate the beauty of nature.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Furnaceface posted:

The Eccentric Family.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Is there anyway to subscribe to Viz, but use the Mangaplus reader? I want to read a bunch of stuff available on Viz, but I find the web reader really useless for reading on my PC. Or is there some other monthly all-you-can-read service that has the Viz library but more customization options?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

If I want to start Jojo, I should just start with the first season, right?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Yes

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

yeah part 1 gets a little dull in the middle but its only like 10 episodes and part 2 is good, and thats season 1

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
You have to watch S1 or you don't get peak Speedwagon

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Cool, I think thats gonna be what I watch next.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Yeah. Part 1 is a little more generic than the rest of the series (it wears its Fist of the North Star influences on its sleeve) but it's very short, it still has some great moments, and it's important background for everything that happens in all the subsequent parts.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Update: this is extremely my poo poo, especially when speedwagon healed that dudes arm using the heat from his abs lol

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I love the original VAs for Jojo a fair bit, but I just had to watch the first two series again in dub. Speedwagon and Dio's cronies have some top quality Mockney British accents. Dick van Dyke would be proud.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Jojo 2 is the best I hope you enjoy it greatly. Jonathan Joestar is a hero.

drat, is it Joseph in 2? I forget?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Toalpaz posted:

Jojo 2 is the best I hope you enjoy it greatly. Jonathan Joestar is a hero.

drat, is it Joseph in 2? I forget?

Joseph yeah

seconding that he's the best tho

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Yeah, I'm liking the show so far. I also started watching Natsume yuujinchou which go recommended in this thread. Its not quite as... slow and nature ish as mushishi but I'm enjoying it quite a bit too.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

RabidWeasel posted:

You have to watch S1 or you don't get peak Speedwagon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEidbkibsiE

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
K-on is pretty good. Made it past the beach episode, thanks goons.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
k-on is epic!! please watch k-on if you have not, everyone.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Season 2 in particular is a big step up from Season 1.

MMania
May 7, 2008
There are so many anime that would improve (ok, probably mostly for western audiences) greatly if they were not set in high school. K-on is set in high school because the narrative is about being there, which I greatly appreciate.

Oh, and I can't think of a better high school trip anime than the K-on movie... at least until Watamote get more seasons (please please please).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MMania posted:

There are so many anime that would improve (ok, probably mostly for western audiences) greatly if they were not set in high school. K-on is set in high school because the narrative is about being there, which I greatly appreciate.

Oh, and I can't think of a better high school trip anime than the K-on movie... at least until Watamote get more seasons (please please please).
eh

most high school anime deal with things that only really make sense if the characters are teens. like characters are emotional messes and have views and interactions with adults that only really make sense if theyre teenagers, not college-aged. obvs college kids are emotional messes too but in a different way.

look at like, toradora vs golden time, toradora works way better because the characters are high schoolers. the golden time characters feel kinda off since they're supposed to be uni students.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I'm watching K-On for the first time right now and am really enjoying it, I'm about a third of the way through season 2. The reason why I put off watching it for so long was because I didn't realise it was a comedy, I thought it was a super serious show about trying to save a failing club.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Starsnostars posted:

I'm watching K-On for the first time right now and am really enjoying it, I'm about a third of the way through season 2. The reason why I put off watching it for so long was because I didn't realise it was a comedy, I thought it was a super serious show about trying to save a failing club.

im seriously curious what gave you that impression. like not judging i just dunno how

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I think I had just mixed it up in my head with another, possibly fictitious anime and not looked into it any closer until now.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Update: this is extremely my poo poo, especially when speedwagon healed that dudes arm using the heat from his abs lol

In the manga he cuts himself and uses his blood to heal them. After ruminating on it for several years I think I prefer the anime version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobomb
Jul 22, 2005

Undisputed
Moe Master

Julias posted:

First off, please don't use the term human being here.

To actually answer your question, if you enjoyed Shaft, definitely check out March Comes in like a Lion. And if you liked Madoka Magica, I'd recommend checking out both Selector Infexted Wixoss and Selector Spread Wixoss, as well as Flip Flappers. And if you enjoyed Ikuhata's shows like Penguindrim, you may enjoy his newest show Sarazanmai, or a show with a lot of similar aspects to previous Ikuhara works, and a personal favorite from the last few years, Shōjo Kageki Revue Starlight.

Aside from those, other shows I've really enjoyed have included Chihayafuru, Planet With, SSSS.Gridman, Zombieland Saga, A Place Further than the Universe, Beastars, Dorohedoro, and Land of the Lustrous (Houseki no Kuni), among others.

I just finished March comes in like a lion and goddamn did I enjoy the hell out of it. Gonna give sarazanmai a go next.