Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

erazure
Oct 23, 2005

Is the extra stuff that comes with the Explorer's Pack worth the $20? Or should I just get the $30 and shell out for stuff in the cash shop as I need it?

e: Googled it myself, answer is "no," buying the cheaper pack.

erazure fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Mesmerized posted:

how are you guys levelling your pets so fast? i swear i have them out 24/7 and they're all still around 5 or 6

How do you get their 'special abilities' to turn on? I thought they were just always on when they were out.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Wilekat posted:

Hit the soft cap on contribution points today (255) and hoo boy does getting more take some effort.

It's weird, calp dailies seemed to drop off in effect real hard.. but other quests, even the daily alchemy/gathering quests in olvia, kept it flowing in. I hit 258 today without specifically taking contribution quests.

Shalhavet posted:

Turn on their special abilities, it drains their food bar quicker. Also, it's wasting time to have them starving, since they only gain xp when fed.

ITT Glug learns about toggling special abilities for pets.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Right-click the paw button, left click the pet, left click the gray button.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

:staredog:

all this time...

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
lemme mention that even as a lowbie, your trading cart (not horse or donkey) can get hosed up in a guild war. you/cart won't appear red, but the cart can be hit regardless of either person's level

this means you can also gently caress up someone's cart as a lowbie if you're in a guild war against them, and they won't have the ability to hit you back. you can quite literally terrorize the roads as a 44.

a lot of people still think they're immune and level horses via cart on a lowbie

lemme also mention that leveling pets very likely means you will lose the pet's innate ability (node finding, player marking, elite warning) in lieu of TAUNT. which makes your pet aggro the nearest mob to you, constantly.

lewtt fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 8, 2016

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Pretty sure taunt only works if you actually turn it on, like many of the other abilities. I have a taunt pet and it doesn't appear very useful but I turn it on before grinding anyway. And that's only relevant to exchanging pets rather than straight leveling them up. (Exchanging pets is also the reason I have a PVP catte now...)

Kiesman
May 6, 2016
Managed to get myself a 7-day trial key! I'm gonna try out this game as a Wizard and see how I like it. I've already created my character on the main server you guys play on.

Godmode Enabled
Jul 14, 2013

I AM A BETAGOON, ASK ME ABOUT PROPER GRIEF TO CASH RATIOS.

:shepicide:

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013
Read through a few of the posts and it looks good that the game is fairly balanced for the most part but it looks like there's no healers in this game?
Is there any point to rolling Valk? If I have low DPS, wouldn't farming be a huge pain in the rear end?

Am I better off just rolling a DPS class?

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
You can murder stuff with valk no problem, it's called shield toss

Kiesman
May 6, 2016
So I've been trying out Wizard, and blasting the hell out of things with lightning is fun and all, but it seems so... mindless.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

How alt friendly is this game?
I got a Blader to 20 and want to try something a tad more complex but not if I'm going to run the exact same string of missions.

Edit: I'm also having issues with information overload. I have no clue what is valuable and what I need to pay attention to aside from my creepy ghost buddy.

AppliedPhilosophy
Aug 7, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

How alt friendly is this game?
I got a Blader to 20 and want to try something a tad more complex but not if I'm going to run the exact same string of missions.

Edit: I'm also having issues with information overload. I have no clue what is valuable and what I need to pay attention to aside from my creepy ghost buddy.

Don't worry about it. Kill things with your hanzo steel.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
You want to max your alts out so you can use their energy. Plus if you get a nice set of armor you can just swap it between characters

Hobo Colossus
Aug 13, 2010

A gentleman and a scholar

TVDinna posted:

Read through a few of the posts and it looks good that the game is fairly balanced for the most part but it looks like there's no healers in this game?
Is there any point to rolling Valk? If I have low DPS, wouldn't farming be a huge pain in the rear end?

Am I better off just rolling a DPS class?

Valk has a pretty mean burst combo that does excellent dmg, is AoE and... ranged! Don't remember the names of the skills, but basically the shield throw > that lance from the sky thing > shield throw again.

gently caress the ROW posted:

You want to max your alts out so you can use their energy. Plus if you get a nice set of armor you can just swap it between characters

OR don't max your alts and still use their energy.

Hobo Colossus fucked around with this message at 09:08 on May 9, 2016

Karistar
Jan 5, 2012

lewtt posted:

lemme mention that even as a lowbie, your trading cart (not horse or donkey) can get hosed up in a guild war. you/cart won't appear red, but the cart can be hit regardless of either person's level

this means you can also gently caress up someone's cart as a lowbie if you're in a guild war against them, and they won't have the ability to hit you back. you can quite literally terrorize the roads as a 44.

a lot of people still think they're immune and level horses via cart on a lowbie

Been leveling Trading recently because horse breeding is a lot more expensive than I thought (for a brand new character), and not in either Goontang or Parksandrec yet. If I'm using carts for trading right now should I stay guildless until I get my Trading levels up high enough to have access to all the trade goods and go back to a non-wagon horse or donkey? I'm still level 18 because I keep getting distracted by other activities in-game.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Karistar posted:

Been leveling Trading recently because horse breeding is a lot more expensive than I thought (for a brand new character), and not in either Goontang or Parksandrec yet. If I'm using carts for trading right now should I stay guildless until I get my Trading levels up high enough to have access to all the trade goods and go back to a non-wagon horse or donkey? I'm still level 18 because I keep getting distracted by other activities in-game.

Never not join a guild, either parks and rec or goon tang or whatever. There's no reason to be guildless ever. I joined a goon guild at level 5, parksandrec is good if you like to listen to grithok and drinkfist sperg endlessly about inane poo poo, as well as failing at guild bosses, and goontang is good if you like to talk to people who may be a little lower on the spectrum.

The experience is largely the same no matter which goon guild you pick.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

erazure posted:

Is the extra stuff that comes with the Explorer's Pack worth the $20? Or should I just get the $30 and shell out for stuff in the cash shop as I need it?

e: Googled it myself, answer is "no," buying the cheaper pack.

The people who keep saying it's not worth it really don't know just how useful a permanent horse whistle is when you're a horse wizard. And for when you accidentally run your horse into a river. Utility for other classes may vary, but I certainly don't regret getting it.

p.s you can't get a permanent horse whistle through the cash shop, only a 30 day version.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

RockyB posted:

The people who keep saying it's not worth it really don't know just how useful a permanent horse whistle is when you're a horse wizard.

All the whistle does is increase the range you can call your horse from. You can still call for your horse without one, just at a lower effective range. I could see it being situationally useful, but I'd rather have another pet/slot (or two) for the same amount of money.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
For reference, the range is 10x greater with the whistle. Generally you can leave it at one node, wander up to another and still call it. Regularly saves me 2-3 minute of running, which is nice, and makes getting the horse onto a boat or up a mountain far easier. More importantly though when you're PvPing/banditing it makes a great difference when someone is v escaping or just generally running to be able to whistle up the horse from anywhere nearby and fireball them in the back.

Looks like they have actually added in a permanent horse whistle option since release, however it's 1,500 pearls. Combined with an 800 pearl pet you're already dropping $30 in pearls if you want the same utility, and that's excluding the extra two cash shop beds. Just saying it's not all that clear cut.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

RockyB posted:

The people who keep saying it's not worth it really don't know just how useful a permanent horse whistle is when you're a horse wizard. And for when you accidentally run your horse into a river. Utility for other classes may vary, but I certainly don't regret getting it.

p.s you can't get a permanent horse whistle through the cash shop, only a 30 day version.

Not in-game so I can't check, but I'm pretty certain you can get a permanent horse whistle. It's $15. e: also like 99% certain it's always been available lol

The horse whistle is actually pretty rad but it's one of those things that you won't miss until you've used it, so you can easily just never have one and your experience will remain largely the same.

Back when I bought the $50 pack, one thing I was not aware of was that the horse whistle is character bound once you open it. I opened it on a character I later almost didn't play (my valkyrie, who I went back to because valkyries are awesome). It's worth warning people about because I know I'm not the only one who has leveled multiple characters only to settle on a particular one later.

Clocks fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 9, 2016

Vendictus Prime
Feb 28, 2013

Now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Just really started looking at the game over the past couple of days. How are the classes and does anyone have a recommendation for which is more enjoyable to play? The Berserker looks interesting, so do the caster classes.

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

Rng update, after blowing up 50 million silver worth of jewelry in under ten seconds on Saturday, I got a consolation PRI Schultz belt last night :whitewater:

Figured it's going to take me another month before I have two of any jewelry again so I may as well not let those cursed stacks collect dust and taunt me.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Vendictus Prime posted:

I've rolled a witch and a sorceress to 51 so far. Never enjoyed playing tanks so I can't speak for those classes.

Sorc is significantly more fun to play, in my opinion. You're basically a mystical kung-fu assassin who punches people so hard with magic that they explode. Tons of iframes and movement skills, tons of CC, massive burst damage, reasonable sustainability, and paper mache armor.

Witch/wizard lets live out your gandalf fantasies, and the class is arguably OP as hell from horseback. It will also be the single most desired class for mass pvp/node wars. AOE too stronk.

It really just depends on your playstyle, though I hear that warriors and zerks are pretty gimped right now due to server lag/desync and not having awakening weapons yet.

Apparently ranger is good too, but I haven't played one.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I think I used the horse whistle on my original character once or twice then forgot about it. Don't miss it remotely.

^ to Prime: Don't play a berserker until awakenings arrive. Or do but understand that until that patch hits you'll be missing some key parts of your arsenal. There are no bad classes and the game is very alt friendly. I recommend you play a bunch of alts and find whichever one suits you most.

Vendictus Prime
Feb 28, 2013

Now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Thanks for the input on classes and as for alts, I usually end up making one of every class at some point in every mmo I have played. Looking forward to trying all of them.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Vendictus Prime posted:

Just really started looking at the game over the past couple of days. How are the classes and does anyone have a recommendation for which is more enjoyable to play? The Berserker looks interesting, so do the caster classes.

Ask yourself what playstyle you'd like to play and whether or not you want to be effective at x thing. Everyone can be effective at fishing, trading, horse catching etc, everyone can be effective at mob grinding, some more than others. Not all classes can kill bosses or are as useful in pvp as others. Some classes have gear that you can exchange with all your alts with very little needing to be changed. Also take into account that their awakenings might start coming out in a few months and those can radically alter how they play.

If you want to have both a melee and a caster class then going Valk and Witch/Wizard is a good choice because they both use the same type of gear. Two piece taritas and two piece grunil are great for both and they both gem in a similar fashion, prefering cast speed and crit. They both play very differently and give you a taste of distinctly different playstyles. Also both classes are pretty drat solid, no one is crying for a nerf for either of them and Wizard/witch in particular are really strong at things other classes can struggle in, which is mass PvP and world bosses.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:
So can someone post some information on the mediah 2 update?

The patch went live right before my work rotation so I got to take a boat ride to pirate islands north of epheria and then I had to work all week. What else is new? where are the dungeons ? I heard theres one people are pulling ancient weapon cores from.

I heard there was two new areas, wheres the second? where are the coral accessories, red and blue rings and earings coming from ?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I put my horse whistle on the hot bar but it does nothing. I've tried it at a variety of distances and it gives no indication that it's even being activated.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Hi posted:

So can someone post some information on the mediah 2 update?

The patch went live right before my work rotation so I got to take a boat ride to pirate islands north of epheria and then I had to work all week. What else is new? where are the dungeons ? I heard theres one people are pulling ancient weapon cores from.

I heard there was two new areas, wheres the second? where are the coral accessories, red and blue rings and earings coming from ?

Well, here are the patch notes...

Boss armor is in (from scroll drops/field bosses/boss bundles). Pirate island is in (north of epheria I think, I never actually went there) and that's where the coral stuff comes from. There are two new areas (I'd hestiate to call them dungeons in the real sense) - one in helms, one south of soldier's grave where the skeletons are. They drop the ancient weapon/guardian seal set, although I forget which drops which. T3 horses are out in the wild. Otherwise it was mostly just general balance changes I think. That's basically kind of it for now.

Vendictus Prime posted:

Thanks for the input on classes and as for alts, I usually end up making one of every class at some point in every mmo I have played. Looking forward to trying all of them.

I've never been an alt person but I sure am in this game!

Best advice is literally to just play what sounds cool, and if you don't like it, ditch it and play something else. All the classes are pretty unique and have their own playstyle, and you might find that you like one over another. If you use something like 4-piece grunil armor, you can just switch it between alts and only worry about getting new weapons leveled up anyway, so it's pretty alt friendly.

Inzombiac posted:

I put my horse whistle on the hot bar but it does nothing. I've tried it at a variety of distances and it gives no indication that it's even being activated.

Once you've opened the horse whistle, you can use it by clicking on your mount icon in the top left. (Your horse icon will also be yellow instead of white if you have the whistle enabled.) If you're within 300 meters (or whatever the distance is), the horse will run/teleport to you. You can tell how far away your horse is by right clicking to set a waypoint to it and looking at the distance marker near your character.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oh. Thanks. Maybe I missed the explanation with all the other poo poo on my screen at any given time.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Inzombiac posted:

Oh. Thanks. Maybe I missed the explanation with all the other poo poo on my screen at any given time.

You can and should turn a lot of that information overload stuff off. You can customize your UI pretty extensively, but it's spread across like 3 different menus. Notification spam can be turned off in the chat, but that won't turn off the pop-ups, and vice versa. You'll need to deactivate them in chat and also in the main gameplay settings. Feel free to turn off any of it, basically all of that information is already available in the UI. You can set the marketplace to notify you via a less obnoxious method when items you actually care about go on sale, for example. Or if you shut off the giant text that obscures half your screen to tell you that you've entered or left a combat or safe zone, your character will still subtly flash yellow or red to indicate the shift from safe to combat. Basically it's all clutter and should be off by default because these settings are not immediately obvious

I also recommend turning off hp and nameplates above your own character's head, and turning on the larger hp/mp readout at the bottom of your screen in UI settings. If you do anything in melee trying to see enemy nameplates behind your own is a pain.

I have absolutely everything shut off except guild chat, general chat (/say), and notifications that a guildie leveled up or succeeded a gear upgrade. And it is like playing an entirely different game. Cannot recommend enough.

Oh, and you can set up filters for chat that will block any message that includes your chosen no-no words (mine are .com, .c0m, ,com, and ,c0m, so I can have /say without being subjected to the goldseller spam in cities)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

You can and should turn a lot of that information overload stuff off. You can customize your UI pretty extensively, but it's spread across like 3 different menus. Notification spam can be turned off in the chat, but that won't turn off the pop-ups, and vice versa. You'll need to deactivate them in chat and also in the main gameplay settings. Feel free to turn off any of it, basically all of that information is already available in the UI. You can set the marketplace to notify you via a less obnoxious method when items you actually care about go on sale, for example. Or if you shut off the giant text that obscures half your screen to tell you that you've entered or left a combat or safe zone, your character will still subtly flash yellow or red to indicate the shift from safe to combat. Basically it's all clutter and should be off by default because these settings are not immediately obvious

I also recommend turning off hp and nameplates above your own character's head, and turning on the larger hp/mp readout at the bottom of your screen in UI settings. If you do anything in melee trying to see enemy nameplates behind your own is a pain.

I have absolutely everything shut off except guild chat, general chat (/say), and notifications that a guildie leveled up or succeeded a gear upgrade. And it is like playing an entirely different game. Cannot recommend enough.

Oh, and you can set up filters for chat that will block any message that includes your chosen no-no words (mine are .com, .c0m, ,com, and ,c0m, so I can have /say without being subjected to the goldseller spam in cities)

Thanks. I actually just did all that except the chat filter. That's a great feature that I haven't seen before. :D

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
Daily failures: lost two outlaw rings and then failed twice to get my yuria sword to +15 right after spending 9 million desert bucks on a liverto staff for my level 12 wizard

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

It took my maehwa 26 tries to get her sword to 13 and just 1 to get to 14 so I trust that the karma gods were with me and brought me into balance. I think I'm done trying to gear her and instead focus on the witch. So gear wise would it be better if I pool my money to get a liverto staff instead of trying to get a yuria to 15? Stones are cheap now so I dont think its going to be much of an issue but I'm really bad at making money in this game.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

If you need to "pool your money" to get a liverto staff then you are going to have a Bad Time enhancing it. For livertos you need to failstack on something else first and then hope RNG doesn't gently caress you once you're enhancing at max failstacks. Because each fail will cost you 1.5 million in repairs.

+15 yurias are actually pretty cheap nowadays, so if this is an alt you're talking about and you don't have a liverto to use up on it, you could just buy it a fancy weapon until you get the liverto. But that requires more money than a base liverto so...

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Had to P2W 5 tokens but I'm happy with the outcome

finally done horse breeding I guess. What an ugly horse though. Can be listed on the market for $26.928 million :haw:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

sushibandit posted:

Witch/wizard lets live out your gandalf fantasies, and the class is arguably OP as hell from horseback. It will also be the single most desired class for mass pvp/node wars. AOE too stronk.

I think berserkers, warriors, and valks will still be important to help keep our wizards alive in the node wars, and the faster melees will be needed to assassinate theirs. Wizards will probably be the central point the battles revolve around, but I don't know if they'll necessarily be in highest demand. If we show up without anything else we'll get eaten alive, and we have a lot more people playing wiz/witch than say, zerker

Inzombiac posted:

Thanks. I actually just did all that except the chat filter. That's a great feature that I haven't seen before. :D

Lol, np. That stuff should really go in the OP, if someone wants to write it out more legibly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HotBobaloo
Jun 19, 2002
If 4 piece Grunil considered the best armor for every class besides boss armor? Or would there be some specific combo for Sorceress and Wizard that is better?