Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I'm not going to play this game but please someone post their Barnacle Jim CAF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Please tell me you look like this.

If I get thiis game for my 30th BDay Today I'mma make me, Mr. Hitler, Gordon Ramsay, and the Achievement Hunter crew.

and a mobn...

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Gameface looks way, way worse in game than it does on the website (which incidentally does not loving work for me. I can only use the picture I've already uploaded, I can't upload new ones, and I can't even log on in Chrome, I have to use IE.)

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Captain Log posted:

Please tell me you look like this.

If I get thiis game for my 30th BDay Today I'mma make me, Mr. Hitler, Gordon Ramsay, and the Achievement Hunter crew.

and a mobn...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXjn3Z9Hhdw

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

The champions in my career mode:

Mighty Mouse
Dennis Siver
Josh Koscheck
Michael Bisping
Shogun Rua
Roy Nelson

Chris Weidman lost to Luke Rockhold and disappeared into space.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Gameface looks way, way worse in game than it does on the website (which incidentally does not loving work for me. I can only use the picture I've already uploaded, I can't upload new ones, and I can't even log on in Chrome, I have to use IE.)

The gameface site didn't support the newest version of IE or Opera for me, and I had the same login issues with chrome. I fixed the latter by just deleting all my temp files and cookies, and for some reason the login worked, and the app besides. But only in chrome.

Another interesting thing about gameface, aside from it looking generally worse, is the fact that the hair and beard types on the gameface website does not exactly (or at all) correspond with similar hair/beard ingame, so what might look like a five o'clock shade in gameface will turn into a Conor McGregor-beard in the game.

If you experiment with different hair/beard and a few different photos, you can make a decent gameface character, though.

Mogador
Nov 4, 2007

I started up this game today, and i am loving it. This is the story of Punch Rockgroin:

Kickboxer template, purple douchy hair, Welterweight. Alienware, game victorious!

Rockgroins first hour wasnt very fun, a 55/100 (overall) kickboxer with a 0-0-0 record who wasnt very good at anything. Struggled through the first 2 TUF-fights, both ending in decision wins. A few knockouts later he found himself in the TUF finale vs Doh Son from South Korea. It took 2 tries before i could kick the South Korean prodigy to a pulp and getting my 6 figure contract and a happy Bald man shout time in videoform.

-Undercards here i come! Rockgroin grunted and took on Whatshisname Noface and got beaten in 9 seconds of the first round of his UFC debute. Bald man shouted some encouraging stuff about Silva not cutting me for a loss (yea right). Encouraged by martial autist Rory McD's video ("-i cant explain the feeling i get after a win" -Oh really? You cant?) Rockgroin proceeded to win his next 8 fights by KO and TKO.

Somewhere there i started to have a real good time with the game, getting progression with my fighter who got noticable better after each fight. After that, Demian Maia happened. I steamrolled through 8 opponents and then getting Maia'd. Before the fight i got a video showing the grapplers and so on, Maia in this game is 98/100 submission and proceeded to submit me after 11 seconds. I was devastated, do i suck that bad in my ground game? Luckily Diaz got a quote in on the loading screen ("-Dont be scared, homie") which made me pick myself up and look ahead. Next fight, Josh Koscheck. This was a tough fight which i managed to win late in the second round by TKO after getting knocked down twice myself. After that i took on Jake Ellenberger and had the best executed fight so far. I rushed in, evaded a high kick and counterkicked him in the face so he got knocked down, i jumped on him and made a perfect transition and beat him with ground and pound after 14 seconds in the first round. Next up, Carlos Condit, gonna play more tomorrow, already sunk 6 hours into this game today.

First impressions is that i love it. The first hour was as i said a bit rough and not very fun. I have only played my CAF so far, or well i kicked Gustafsson in the head as Jones in the tutorial but it doesnt count since Jones only knows how to duck. Some clunkiness aside, this is a really fun game. Ill give some more impressions after i try the versus mode with some friends.

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
Just did 10 fights in brown belt division online. 9/10 of my fights were vs. Jon Jones. Why do they have to assign numbered stats to the fighters... everyone just picks who is the best overall. Same problem in Undisputed 3.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Undisputed 3 at least let you see who your opponent chose. Occasionally, it'd even do you the favor of letting you exit the session without you having to restart the game (and go through 2 unreasonably long loading screens all over again)!

I'm hating having to fight Barao and Cain all the time, but I haven't met many people who pick Jon Jones. It's super dumb that the champions are better than the rest of the field in every single area, but I definitely feel like every character has a fighting chance here, whereas you could get steamrolled by the top-tier fighters in Undisputed if you made just one wrong move.

I got off to a decent start in the online game, managing to win juuust enough fights to win the title/advance in every season from white belt up to black belt (no title in brown belt, though). Then the black belt division exposed me badly, with 7 g'n'p-based shellackings in a row, and now I'm a middle-of-the-road brown belt. Sometimes I consider changing to the champion characters to see how that'd change things, but for now, it's still dumb fun just to brawl with Johny Hendricks as Korean Zombie.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
So this game has a face capturing thing?

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Lifetime77 posted:

EA UFC - "Oh we doin spinnin poo poo now?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TcpzdS16ZM

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
So I turned thirty, had a relative give me 50 bucks on Amazon, tried to download the UFC game, needed more Microsoft points, bought some, needed an origin account, did that, tried to do some game face thing on my ipad, wouldn't work, tried it on my mac, wouldn't work, tried it on my pc, wouldn't work, website crashed, had to reset password, i think I'm having an existential fever dream, somehow was forced into a match as Jones, tried to quit, Dana White video wouldn't let me, eventually tried to make Gordon Ramsay character, ended up being Ronda Rousey getting Kimura'd by Meisha Tate.

So yeah this is a game.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

I'm sorry you bought an Xbox.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

On the topic of a thing from like a page ago:

Bubba Smith posted:

The 2nd time the game sort of forces you to lose is after you've held the belt for like 15 defenses you'll notice some contender start beating your rear end, similar to how it was when you fought the champion for the first time, and if you choose to just let him win your Total Damage will nearly double. That's how the game forces you to retire so you don't go on a 50 fight winning streak, aka the game not having any real ending.

tl;dr: Losing is part of the career mode. I finished mine at like 35-2-0, and the 2 losses were such bullshit I just decided to let the game have them since preventing them would have taken so much effort for a game that isn't worth it.

Having just finished my career mode it turns out the total damage doubling is totally unavoidable no matter what you do. I became real good at megafitching half-guard first-round knockouts and got to ~35 fights with only 20-25% of my total damage meter full, the game threw a perfect-100s dude at me and despite fitching him in ninety seconds and eating no significant strikes my damage jumped up to 75% and then continued jumping every fight thereafter regardless of strikes taken. Despite only eating 5 or 6 significant strikes between fights 35 and 40 it still retired me with 100% damage at 40-0.

So if you manage to survive the difficulty spikes it'll just off you anyway.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
That's pretty dumb, in the THQ games and even EA MMA they just have you retire after a while.

Fight Night even throws you a bunch of bad stylistic matchups around 40 fights and if you box really well you can still win fights until the game retires you at 60 fights or so under the pretense of the commission won't license you anymore.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

CarlCX posted:

So if you manage to survive the difficulty spikes it'll just off you anyway.

That sounds like some serious loving lame rear end bullshit right there.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skjorte posted:

Undisputed 3 at least let you see who your opponent chose. Occasionally, it'd even do you the favor of letting you exit the session without you having to restart the game (and go through 2 unreasonably long loading screens all over again)!

I'm hating having to fight Barao and Cain all the time, but I haven't met many people who pick Jon Jones. It's super dumb that the champions are better than the rest of the field in every single area, but I definitely feel like every character has a fighting chance here, whereas you could get steamrolled by the top-tier fighters in Undisputed if you made just one wrong move.

I got off to a decent start in the online game, managing to win juuust enough fights to win the title/advance in every season from white belt up to black belt (no title in brown belt, though). Then the black belt division exposed me badly, with 7 g'n'p-based shellackings in a row, and now I'm a middle-of-the-road brown belt. Sometimes I consider changing to the champion characters to see how that'd change things, but for now, it's still dumb fun just to brawl with Johny Hendricks as Korean Zombie.

Yeah, everyone seems to be at least viable with a skilled player. I'm not great, but I'm OK, I win about as much as I lose, and I tend to do best with Werdum and Carmouche, so it's not like the current champions are win-buttons. (Though I keep picking Forrest Griffin, mostly because he's endearingly doofy in the career mode videos, and I don't think I've won once with him.)

I also kind of like the heavyweights. The pace of those matches is different than all the other divisions, because the guys gas so quickly and strikes seem to do more damage per hit. Every other class feels like it's quantity of hits, HW feels like it's quality, most of the time.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 26, 2014

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Well, the career mode is bland as hell, the physics are incredibly wonky, the ground and pound is terrible, but this made the purchase worth it.

Heavyweight Showtime: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpDTTomda7s

The more I play, the more I'm finding the sub controls to actually be pretty decent. I think it would be better with fewer steps, but it still provides a decent challenge without being impossible.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MagicCube posted:

Well, the career mode is bland as hell, the physics are incredibly wonky, the ground and pound is terrible, but this made the purchase worth it.

Heavyweight Showtime: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpDTTomda7s

The more I play, the more I'm finding the sub controls to actually be pretty decent. I think it would be better with fewer steps, but it still provides a decent challenge without being impossible.

I somehow got someone with a gogoplata that only went through two stages, which seemed weird. Unlike the full armbar, which feels like it has a million. But yeah, it's a fairly sound minigame, and it seems to work pretty well in that some players have NO idea how to defend or do subs, some are like loving psychic wizards and others are OK and can get lucky.

The late career stuff is silly too. Pascal Krauss apparently got bionic arms when challenging my guy for the title, because every jab was stunning me or knocking me down, it was so clearly the game going "OK, time to lose the belt, champ!".

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Morgan Freeman?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOOT_3U4rZM

The commentary is a bit naff, but the glitches themselves are pretty good.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

AndyElusive posted:

That sounds like some serious loving lame rear end bullshit right there.

Well, at the point where you've gotten 40 fights, you'll also have completely maxed out your stats*, done everything there is to do, and fought everyone there is to fight, and you'll have watched all the fighters you know retire and get replaced by computer generated nobodies. It's lamer that your character doesn't get transferred into the active roster, and that you have to customize their stats and moves yourself in the menu-- but atleast that in itself is a good feature.

* In fact, I had so many evolution points to spare at the end of my career, that I suspect that even by skipping all training sessions, you'll still have a max stat fighter at the end.

Bubba Smith posted:

The 2nd time the game sort of forces you to lose is after you've held the belt for like 15 defenses you'll notice some contender start beating your rear end, similar to how it was when you fought the champion for the first time, and if you choose to just let him win your Total Damage will nearly double.

This mostly isn't correct, by the way. Eventually the game will start throwing people with maxed stats at you, but they do not have magical knockout power, and the sudden increase in damage only happens during your last five fights to force you to retire.

I ended my career with 38-2, and both the fights I lost was near the beginning, with no significant increase in difficulty for any specific fight.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jun 26, 2014

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

A friend bought the game, raved about it, discovered that no one could escape thai plum clinch and traded the game in.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
The game's only just come out, and the lack of a training mode means that there'll be a lot of learning on the go. I occasionally meet someone at black belt level who can't escape it when I have them against the cage, but I feel like it hardly even matters, since they can just hold block and nothing I throw at them will get through. Sure, I could win a decision by doing that for three rounds, but it's not super exciting.

I also just found out yesterday that every character has 4-6 special traits, which you of course can't check out in ranked. Sure wish I'd known about that earlier!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Regrettable posted:

Morgan Freeman?

yup

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

Skjorte posted:

I also just found out yesterday that every character has 4-6 special traits, which you of course can't check out in ranked. Sure wish I'd known about that earlier!

You can in fight now I believe.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Yup. Seems pretty silly to not make that visible in ranked games. There's like 90 individual fighters, so good luck remembering their specific skills.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Eh, it's not hard to guess. Submission types will have the one that makes subs progress faster, kickboxers will have higher kick damage, and so on.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Not really, and why should we have to guess in the first place, when they could have just left it in there? "Heavy-handed" or "kicks hard" are easy enough to figure out, but that still leaves a handful of other abilities that aren't super obvious: 2 of Big Nog's 3 abilities are stand-up related, whereas all 3 of Mir's relate to the ground; one Diaz brother recovers stamina by hitting his opponent and makes the submission system work faster for both players, whereas the other has the advancement prompt show up quicker and deals extra damage when rocked, etc. It's a pretty neat feature, it's just irritating to have to quit out of the online mode to go find out what extra abilities a fighter you haven't used before might have.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

quote:

one Diaz brother recovers stamina by hitting his opponent

Game of the year

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

Not just the perks, it would be nice if we could see the stats during fighter select online. For example, although Mark Hunt has pretty much 100 power in both hands and feet, he has something like 53 hand speed, which is about as good as my new Tae Kwon Do fighter I just created for career mode.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

For example, although Mark Hunt has pretty much 100 power in both hands and feet, he has something like 53 hand speed, which is about as good as my new Tae Kwon Do fighter I just created for career mode.

hahahah, nice. Maybe they were anticipating all the "stand and bang" guys playing online and getting mad that the weird old fat guy they never heard of is the best character for that, so they gave him a poo poo rating for hand speed.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
On top of the poor hand speed, they also gave him this humongous wind-up uppercut that literally takes like 5 seconds to get to the opponent. I've only landed it once or twice, and, disappointly, it didn't lead to instant knockouts. Seems like it ought to work like one of those Tekken supers, since you'd have to be playing criminally poorly to get hit by it.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Skjorte posted:

On top of the poor hand speed, they also gave him this humongous wind-up uppercut that literally takes like 5 seconds to get to the opponent. I've only landed it once or twice, and, disappointly, it didn't lead to instant knockouts. Seems like it ought to work like one of those Tekken supers, since you'd have to be playing criminally poorly to get hit by it.

Does he at least have his leaping left hook? That's pretty much his signature move.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

How's everybody faring online in this gay game so far? I'm 8-1 and in the blue division but it's mostly because whenever I start to lose a fight I take down my opponent and lay on him.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
It gets really hard in the brown division. I went 20something and 2 before I got to brown and now I'm around 5-5 in the brown division. I barely didn't get relegated back.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
I got to black belt with no relegations, but quickly realized I only got there because I'd been matched up very favorably (thank you, Joe SilvA.I.). Didn't have enough of a ground game to be even remotely competitive there, and didn't get out of the brown belt ranks for a couple of days. I've gotten the hang of it now, and just won my last 'season' in the black belt division, using mainly Nick Diaz and the Korean Zombie.

I usually go for months without playing video games, and when I do, I don't really get hooked. For some reason the online part of the UFC games just hook the hell outta me.

Skjorte fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jul 2, 2014

ShortThug
Dec 26, 2004

Yay!
I got to black belt and stopped playing. The competition really does get tougher once you get to brown though.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
My R2 button broke earlier today, so I'm 'retiring', too.

Had a good run, though. Almost a full two weeks with my brand new console. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I really like the online. It keeps you at your skill level so you're not stuck against way better players (for long anyway) and you don't have to deal with scrubs. It's a good system.

• Locked thread