Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

EA Sports UFC - PS4, Xbox One - Spring 2014

A new UFC video game is about to come out. The three previous UFC titles (the "Undisputed" series) were handled by THQ and produced by the people who make the wrestling games. In essence they were Punchsport Pagoda. That is to say they were serviceable but sort of stinky and felt like they didn't understand what they were doing. Mark Coleman's character model looked weird and Chris Weidman wasn't even in the games. After some things happened, EA reached a partnership with UFC to develop and distribute the next series of games, finally. The cool news about that is the team producing EA UFC is responsible for their boxing video game series, Fight Night. Fight Night games are mostly good and cool. Maybe now that a boxing simulation team is making a fight simulation game it will be slightly better than when a ladder match WE NEED TO MODEL KANE team makes a fight simulation game. But we all know that making an MMA video game is impossible. You can't authentically recreate Jose Aldo with an 18 button controller.

EA has tried their hand at making an MMA game before, appropriately titled EA MMA in 2010, and it was ehhhhh. However that was their first foray into recreating the sport (and the team responsible wasn't Fight Night's team), they only had 1 year of development time instead of the 2 years they've had for this game, and I honestly believe that nobody is going to be happy working on a video game with Murilo Rua in it. We're not sure how much better EA UFC will be than EA MMA was, but it will be better, I promise.

Anyway what sparked this thread was EA UFC released something close to gameplay footage this morning, but it doesn't show controls yet. We can see that Cain Velasquez can throw Mark Hunt over his head, which is frightening.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViZ6eX1UjQQ

This game is getting into some spooky uncanny valley nonsense. If the lighting were a bit better I would think some of thes footage came from real fights that I haven't watched. The physics in this game look pretty good and believable, but are still a little janky.

So here's what we know about EA UFC:
Not a god drat thing. Not even a release date other than a vague "Spring 2014."
Here's the known roster so far on the wiki page. There's about 50 names there and the final roster is supposed to be twice that size. So some recognizable guys will be left out but almost all of the important dudes will be in there.

What we would like to know:
Is it fun?
Can you take too much testosterone in the career mode?
We don't even have the cover yet and the game is supposed to ship in a few months. At least know that the cover will feature Jon Jones and UFC LHW champion Alexander Gustafsson.

Anyway here are some screenshots of the game. Let's discuss!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I liked the last Yukes game.

I am kinda dumb but it is the only place where you can play as Korean Zombie and organize PRIDE tourney's sooooooooooo

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I really wish that they would do character DLC's because with how long development cycles are for a game like this, you're always going to be way behind the curve when it comes to guys who are coming into contention or importance.

Too bad there's not gonna be a Pride mode. My best times with UFC 3 were doing freak show fights like Mighty Mouse vs. Nick Diaz.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Mark Hunt gets suplexed. Immersion ruined.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

No openweight intergender tourneys, no buys.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Yeah, as one of the big stupid gotta-catch-'em-all MMA game fans on the planet (seriously I have a copy of Pride GP 2003 and I played Astral Bout RINGS as a kid what is wrong with me) it worries me that they're ostensibly at most three months away from release and they still haven't shown any raw gameplay footage, especially because the striking animation in that clip today looks a whole lot like EA MMA's which felt insubstantial as hell compared to the THQ games.

But I'm going to buy it day one anyway, so the gently caress does that matter.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Bummed this wont also be for PS3 since I don't play video games enough to merit buying a new system.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I think that's what UFC fighting games are missing, an openweight mode that would let the player set up fantasy matches. Could Housey armbar the World's Greatest Dad? How many featherweights would it take to defeat Mark Hunt? These are questions I need answered.

Also, Career mode better have a testosterone cycling simulator with random drug tests at press conferences and excuse crafting. And optional 209 judging criteria based purely on damage modeling, and Nick Diaz mode: No spinning poo poo, no wrestling like a bitch, just nonstop pillow punching.

Basically the UFC simulator should be as ridiculous as the UFC.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

CarlCX posted:

Yeah, as one of the big stupid gotta-catch-'em-all MMA game fans on the planet (seriously I have a copy of Pride GP 2003 and I played Astral Bout RINGS as a kid what is wrong with me) it worries me that they're ostensibly at most three months away from release and they still haven't shown any raw gameplay footage, especially because the striking animation in that clip today looks a whole lot like EA MMA's which felt insubstantial as hell compared to the THQ games.

But I'm going to buy it day one anyway, so the gently caress does that matter.

To this day I don't understand why people liked EA MMA. Yeah the controls were a little more fluid than THQ's games, but gently caress man if you wanted to just slip or dodge every strike you could easily do it with no cardio penalty and make the game really awful to play with people. Also their animations were so bad, so Nick Diaz would shoot forward 5 feet on a stepping jab and Tim Sylvia could shoot a double leg as well as Tyron Woodley.

I preferred THQ's take on grappling in the UFC; unless there's a huge disparity in skill on the ground, there will be lots of scrambles. If you're on top in side control, you can lock down the position by crossfacing but you won't get any good strikes off, if you let it go and try to elbow or throw other strikes you run the risk of the guy on bottom standing up.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
I will never stop contending that Def Jam Fight For New York is the best MMA game. It's fun as gently caress to go from a thai clinch to a flying triangle. Also, Big Right Hand ends every fight.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I thought the system behind the THQ games grappling was actually really smart, it needed some balancing to punish spamming a bit more and I thought it should've been harder to pass on offense or defend on the ground and better explained overall but it still worked well and represented the ground fighting well enough.

Other than submissions but no one will ever figure out a decent sub mechanic.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

red19fire posted:

I think that's what UFC fighting games are missing, an openweight mode that would let the player set up fantasy matches. Could Housey armbar the World's Greatest Dad? How many featherweights would it take to defeat Mark Hunt? These are questions I need answered.

So, there's actually a glitch that lets you do this in UFC 3 and set up cross-class matchups which is why we know what it looks like when Bob Sapp knocks out Demetrious Johnson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhOwsyPtqiQ

1st AD posted:

To this day I don't understand why people liked EA MMA. Yeah the controls were a little more fluid than THQ's games, but gently caress man if you wanted to just slip or dodge every strike you could easily do it with no cardio penalty and make the game really awful to play with people. Also their animations were so bad, so Nick Diaz would shoot forward 5 feet on a stepping jab and Tim Sylvia could shoot a double leg as well as Tyron Woodley.

I preferred THQ's take on grappling in the UFC; unless there's a huge disparity in skill on the ground, there will be lots of scrambles. If you're on top in side control, you can lock down the position by crossfacing but you won't get any good strikes off, if you let it go and try to elbow or throw other strikes you run the risk of the guy on bottom standing up.

EA MMA did one thing better than the THQ games and that is fighter AI. They were better at setting AI characters up to act more like the fighters they were based on--Nick Diaz would volume-punch you, Jake Shields would try to not-that-aggressively control you on the ground, Brett Rogers would wing haymakers until he gassed, etc. THQ's characters all fell more along the lines of "well, this guy punches and this guy shoots doubles" and higher difficulty levels only made them exponentially better at doing so.

Everything else about EA MMA was kind of lovely and unsatisfying. The "oh no, now I am unconscious" ground-and-pound knockout is to this day one of the single worst animations I've seen in a major-label game of any kind.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Every MMA game needs Lenne Hardt and Bas Rutten. :colbert:

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Hahaha that video is great.

"Don't go too intense , or you might gas" *Cuts to footage of Roy Nelson and Overeem*

Also as Lobster said, DefJam is the best game. Nothing more fun than fighting Danny Trejo as Dr Foreman from House.

My friend used to work on the Strikeforce game. It had it's moments but the best was being able to play as p4p #1 Football player turned MMA fighter Hershel Walker.

The most realistic thing about it though was that whenever you had to fight Jake Shields.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

CarlCX posted:

EA MMA did one thing better than the THQ games and that is fighter AI.

If you circle away from any fighter's power hand they will try to spam hooks like 3 or 4 times and then they will ALWAYS follow it up with a back leg roundhouse kick that will miss and make them spin around, leaving you an opening for an unblockable double leg takedown into side control.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

TheReverend posted:

Hahaha that video is great.

"Don't go too intense , or you might gas" *Cuts to footage of Roy Nelson and Overeem*

Hahaha, damnit. I just posted that in the other thread. Dana really hates Roy and probably personally made sure he looked bad in a videogame promo.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd like them to just show an actual fight in the game engine. None of this pre-canned angles using the engines, no slow mo to show us rippling bodies, just what the drat game is like.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

1st AD posted:

If you circle away from any fighter's power hand they will try to spam hooks like 3 or 4 times and then they will ALWAYS follow it up with a back leg roundhouse kick that will miss and make them spin around, leaving you an opening for an unblockable double leg takedown into side control.

I feel like that's a little inevitable with fighting game AI. There are always holes. In UFC 3 you can land a free headkick 90% of the time you stand up from a grounded position/from a sprawled takedown just because the AI isn't thinking about guarding yet.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
This game looks really great. The addition of canvas deformation and realistic flesh on flesh interactions will finally give fans what they're looking for when they set up a dream two player matchup like Ronda vs Miesha, quiver with excitement through the intro, then fumble with both controllers to set up the double heel hook and then drop them on the floor as they experience pure foot fetish joy.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Aurain posted:

I'd like them to just show an actual fight in the game engine. None of this pre-canned angles using the engines, no slow mo to show us rippling bodies, just what the drat game is like.

If I had to take a guess... raw footage will come out in the middle of April, two weeks before Jones/Texeira. UFC 172 happens on April 26th, and since May is basically the end of spring when this thing is supposed to be released, I'd go with show footage of Jones vs Texeira in game to hype up UFC 172 >> release date 2 weeks later. Everything before that will be the canned footage you're talking about.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

my fav AI trick in ufc 3 was shooting for a takedown and then standing up immediately and the opponent would half the time shoot their own takedown as they got up which you could always counter with a knee as they dive into it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hbbyNK15Dk

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bubba Smith posted:

If I had to take a guess... raw footage will come out in the middle of April, two weeks before Jones/Texeira. UFC 172 happens on April 26th, and since May is basically the end of spring when this thing is supposed to be released, I'd go with show footage of Jones vs Texeira in game to hype up UFC 172 >> release date 2 weeks later. Everything before that will be the canned footage you're talking about.

Sounds realistic to me. I'd like it a lot sooner than that personally. I think it's the kind of game that would benefit hugely from a demo too, so I hope they do that.

golden oldies pete posted:

my fav AI trick in ufc 3 was shooting for a takedown and then standing up immediately and the opponent would half the time shoot their own takedown as they got up which you could always counter with a knee as they dive into it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hbbyNK15Dk

That's rather great.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

K8.0 posted:

This game looks really great. The addition of canvas deformation and realistic flesh on flesh interactions will finally give fans what they're looking for when they set up a dream two player matchup like Ronda vs Miesha, quiver with excitement through the intro, then fumble with both controllers to set up the double heel hook and then drop them on the floor as they experience pure foot fetish joy.

speaking of Vitor...

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Really saddened that PRIDE mode won't make a comeback, its basically what still keeps the last Yukes game still in circulation at our drink-and-game-evenings.

Speaking about that I was thinking that with how much smaller they're making the weight classes, they're probably going to have to dial down player-created tournaments to a maximum of eight fighters? drat shame, 16 fighter heavyweight gasouts is the best way to play in a group of four people. Really minor point but its how I played the last few games for, like, 90% of the time.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

bring back create a fighter & career mode

if they really haven't shown any tangible evidence of how the new game plays then it's almost certainly going to be a bunch of shidt.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

if they really haven't shown any tangible evidence of how the new game plays then it's almost certainly going to be a bunch of shidt.

Don't people say this every year about about Madden and they still come out do pretty well?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

bring back create a fighter & career mode

Every created fighter looked the exact same in those games.
The WWE games by Yukes had a way better creator than the UFC ones, although perhaps it was because the models in those games are generally worse.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
The game looks graphically unimpressive. Obviously put the EA budget team onto it.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
I thought the new trailer looked pretty good.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

coconono posted:

Don't people say this every year about about Madden and they still come out do pretty well?

People sperged pretty hard about how Fifa was going to suck and it's been brilliant.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
And OTOH people seem to get excited about the "improvements" they show off for WWE every year and that game hasn't made any decent improvements since like SVR 06.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
Luckily THQ realized UFC didn't need yearly updates after it failed on them; and Fight Night I think has always been a two year cycle.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

BlindSite posted:

People sperged pretty hard about how Fifa was going to suck and it's been brilliant.

Fifa 14 on PS4/Xbone didn't work for 2 months post release for me, all efforts made to get EA to fix it didn't do jack poo poo, and I only fixed it because a user found a fix. I don't believe the cause was ever patched up.

That's not mentioning the heavy scripting in the actual gameplay. At the end of every half, one teams defense will always become laughably inept and at least seven out of ten times all balls crossed into the box will result in a goal. At random times during the game your players will just fail to defend or pass properly, making it impossible to actually do anything in the game. EA deny it exists but only because they have to.

TL;DR: FIFA is an absolutely awful game.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

The things they keep talking about like the physics, skin deformation and whatnot make this sound like it'll be the best MMA sim ever. I just hope the striking is better than EA MMA and Undisputed. EA MMA had the fighters sliding around the ring like it was an ice rink when striking, and Undisputed's striking would have been fine if you could throw actual combos. Instead, your fighter's stance would reset in between just about every strike you threw, making it look awkward. I enjoyed Undisputed's ground game and thought it was almost perfect, except for how failing any submission except the arm triangle choke would get you swept.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

This game looks awesome as poo poo. Looking forward to making a punch only man and Chuck'ing my way to the top.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I hope there's more trips and sweeps. Getting clinched sucks when you can only punch or grapple your way out.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

coconono posted:

I hope there's more trips and sweeps. Getting clinched sucks when you can only punch or grapple your way out.

There were a ton of throws and sweeps in the THQ games, but the majority of them belonged to Karo, Stun Gun, or Machida. UFC 3 was especially cool for this since they had a ton of judo takedowns from the cage clinching positions.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
My go-to on the 1st or 2nd UFC game (I forget) was to play as Hendo and clinch/slam/stand my opponent into a living death and then throwing BRH's in the 3rd or 5th when they were too depleted to survive. I got so many hateful messages, it was incredible. The clinch game was kind of limited since once you where clinched, which was pretty simple to get, you had to either stall by holding away and then risk eating devestating clinch strikes or try to make the 1/4 guess of which way the throw would go.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 19, 2014

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

My go-to on the 1st or 2nd UFC game (I forget) was to play as Hendo and clinch/slam/stand my opponent into a living death and then throwing BRH's in the 3rd or 5th when they were too depleted to survive. I got so many hateful messages, it was incredible. The clinch game was kind of limited since once you where clinched, which was pretty simple to get, you had to either stall by holding away and then risk eating devestating clinch strikes or try to make the 1/4 guess of which way the throw would go.

Yeah I used to make a create a fighter with awesome clinch throws and big power, spend a round hugging and pounding and then load up on haymakers, it was ridiculous how quickly I won a championship.

I hope they have combinations though, I liked fight night being able to chain together punches in bunches and I really missed that in the UFC games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

LobsterMobster posted:

I will never stop contending that Def Jam Fight For New York is the best MMA game. It's fun as gently caress to go from a thai clinch to a flying triangle. Also, Big Right Hand ends every fight.

This post did not get any love and that is wrong. DJFFNY was amazing and was directly responsible for my discovering MMA. Still can't loving believe that I can't play it on the 360.

• Locked thread