Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Powercrazy posted:

In the next version of Nethack (whenever that comes out) Gehennom will be significantly changed probably similiar to how Slash'em Ghennom looks. There is a guaranteed wand of wishing specifically to fill out your ascension kit in the castle and there are a lots of ways to get to the castle without even worrying about the puzzle part.

The slump from XL10-14 is where potions of gain level are useful, but you can also use foocubii, or reverse genocide wraiths, or go down to hell and do wraith farming. If you are strong enough you can just brute force your way to the castle and by the time you get there you will certainly be level 14.

Anyway every single complaint of Nethack is addressed in multiple ways within the mechanics of the game. If you haven't figured the "puzzle" aspect of the game out, that isnt' really a failing of the game, more a 'failing' of the genre.

No it isn't dumbass, no modern roguelike has anything like that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Why are there are still people out there who look at Crawl trying to be an actual game and say "this sucks, why can't I pudding farm and train my dog to steal Grayswandir" and why are they posting in this thread?

ZebTM
Jul 7, 2009

i skipped to the end of this thread and why the gently caress are there retards advocating nethack? i played that game for probably over 200 combined online and ofline its objectively worse than any other roguelike i have played in my entire life (Angband, ADOM, POWDER, DoomRL, TOME, Crawl, Brogue, Sil, IVAN...okay maybe not worse than IVAN)

Brogue and Sil are the best roguelikes right now IMO

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
I really don't like Nethack.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Is ADOM still full of gay nethack crap like pacifying the big room or whatever.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

ZebTM posted:

i skipped to the end of this thread and why the gently caress are there retards advocating nethack? i played that game for probably over 200 combined online and ofline its objectively worse than any other roguelike i have played in my entire life (Angband, ADOM, POWDER, DoomRL, TOME, Crawl, Brogue, Sil, IVAN...okay maybe not worse than IVAN)

Brogue and Sil are probably the best roguelikes right now IMO

I really like Sil.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Is ADOM still full of gay nethack crap like pacifying the big room or whatever.

Apparently that got nerfed because your stat gain from herbs is more limited now, plus it's much easier to herb farm regularly. It still has a lot of spoilery crap but (allegedly) isn't as bad as nethack.

ZebTM
Jul 7, 2009

i played like 500 hours of Crawl online and its a huge improvement on the big three (Nethack/Angband/ADOM) in every way but i just cant play a game with that much downtime over and over anymore

Dec 26, 2012

ZebTM posted:

Brogue and Sil are the best roguelikes right now IMO

hard to argue otherwise yeah

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I would feel a lot more positively about NetHack's puzzle-adventure flavor if there was even a single documented case of somebody beating it without spoilers.

As far as I can tell it's just a failed design though. Like the idea of a roguelike with catches you figure out over the course of multiple games until you can successfully complete it isn't terrible, it's just that NetHack doesn't work and I don't know of any others.

ZebTM
Jul 7, 2009

nrook posted:

I would feel a lot more positively about NetHack's puzzle-adventure flavor if there was even a single documented case of somebody beating it without spoilers.

As far as I can tell it's just a failed design though. Like the idea of a roguelike with catches you figure out over the course of multiple games until you can successfully complete it isn't terrible, it's just that NetHack doesn't work and I don't know of any others.

i remember hearing about some reddit guy that beat it unspoiled after seven years of playing daily (making heavy use of the oracle) but thats not exactly ideal is it

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm not 100% sure you can really call it 'unspoiled' at that point

like, technically it is, but not quite in spirit/good faith

Dec 26, 2012

ZebTM posted:

seven years of playing daily

hahahahaha

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Who the gently caress cares about spoilers? Seriously? That is your complaint? that if an autistic brain in a jar with zero social skills or ability to reference human culture can't beat the game it is "impure" and therefore a bad game?

It sounds like you guys' definition of rogue-like is basically a terrible game.

Yes every turn I should have to shuffle all of my equipment including all 10 of my rings, water my herbs a specific amount of holy water depending on the epoch time of the game world, say three daily prayers to a subset of 140 deities, and resharpen my weapons. This is "good" gameplay.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Powercrazy posted:

Who the gently caress cares about spoilers? Seriously? That is your complaint? that if an autistic brain in a jar with zero social skills or ability to reference human culture can't beat the game it is "impure" and therefore a bad game?

Yes every turn I should have to shuffle all of my equipment including all 10 of my rings, water my herbs a specific amount of holy water depending on the epoch time of the game world, say three daily prayers to a subset of 140 deities, and resharpen my weapons. This is "good" gameplay.

are you literally illiterate

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Powercrazy posted:

Wot.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Powercrazy posted:

That's it. Crawl is loving finished.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Powercrazy posted:

Yeah man, that kinda stuff is great, which is why nethack is so good :pwn:

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I'm sorry your dead corpse-game is bad :(

Dec 26, 2012

Powercrazy posted:

lol

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have literally never beaten a real roguelike

Im the worst

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's ok, my DCSS win ratio is something like 1565 plays/3 wins last time I checked
200+ of those games I ctrl-q'd out of but still not great, maybe I should stop playing octpodes

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

play shiren the wanderer, it owns and also is easy

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
crawl doesn't have dwarves

crawl online has rl dwarves that watch your game and talk about everything but your game

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:

Eonwe posted:

Im the worst

you can do it man. i beat adom today as a human barbarian, everyone can do it if i managed to pull it off

Jackfruit
Apr 27, 2006

dem bones dem bones gonna walk around

Eonwe posted:

Im the worst

there are fairly simple race/class combos in crawl if you just wanna say you've won. minotaur fighter is the classic one, deep dwarf melee bastard of makhleb is also pretty straightforward

ZebTM
Jul 7, 2009

Third World Reggin posted:

crawl doesn't have dwarves

crawl online has rl dwarves that watch your game and talk about everything but your game

the fucktards who coded online tiles didnt link chat between the versions and i play ascii so all i get is tripwire occasionally coming in to call me a fag, i guess you could try that?

(the only real benefit from ascii online over tiles is that it doesnt lag in tournaments but i always take the ascii option for roguelikes regardless because my brain is broken)

ZebTM
Jul 7, 2009

Jackfruit posted:

there are fairly simple race/class combos in crawl if you just wanna say you've won. minotaur fighter is the classic one, deep dwarf melee bastard of makhleb is also pretty straightforward

this is the "easiest" way but the strictly imo the problem is that unless you have an inhuman resistance to boredom you will be bored out of your mind after a few hours and possibly end up making fatal mistakes because of it. might be better to play a spellcaster power combo like deep elf wizard or fire elementalist, still a very good combo but you're doing a lot more different things so you're less likely to get bored. as a bonus you're learning a lot more about the game so you can transfer your skill to harder combos a lot more easily.

one of the best resources for crawl noobs is the ##crawl IRC channel on freenode, for two reasons. First, if you're unsure how to handle a tough situation you can ask for advice there and if you're playing online you can even ask people to spectate your game and give you pointers. The second reason is LearnDB, which is massive IRC database of spoilers. not spoilers in the nethack sense, but you can easily look up the stats of a unique monster before engaging them or get tips on a god or branch etc. which is a big help.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Eonwe posted:

Im the worst

I beat doomrl. That counts right?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

DalaranJ posted:

I beat doomrl. That counts right?

Yeah it totally does

I beat nethack by deleting it

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
honestly I think playing primarily spellcasting-characters in crawl is way more boring than primarily melee

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

ZebTM posted:

the fucktards who coded online tiles didnt link chat between the versions and i play ascii so all i get is tripwire occasionally coming in to call me a fag, i guess you could try that?

(the only real benefit from ascii online over tiles is that it doesnt lag in tournaments but i always take the ascii option for roguelikes regardless because my brain is broken)

I was going to implement this but then it turned out I know

a: jack
b: poo poo

about javascript

I might still do it, I play ascii for the same reasons and it bums me out that people can't come in and watch the slowest, most boring player ever

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

nrook posted:

I was going to implement this but then it turned out I know

a: jack
b: poo poo

about javascript

I might still do it, I play ascii for the same reasons and it bums me out that people can't come in and watch the slowest, most boring player ever

They can watch you and make fun of you in chat, you just can't see it. I play ascii and tend to spectate myself on webtiles just to read that, uhh, fascinating discussion.

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

Powercrazy posted:

lmfao oh my loving god

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Dungeons of Dredmore

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

IronicDongz posted:

Yeah man, that kinda stuff is great, which is why nethack is so good :pwn:

You don't have to do any of that poo poo in Nethack though?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
I like to kick every stone in the dungeon, to find out, if it is a good item.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I like waiting for my pet to stand next to me when I'm trying to go downstairs so I don't leave them behind.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
There are 3 total types of grey stones, the bad one doesn't move if you kick it, basically it's an alternative way of identifying something. If every stone in the dungeon looked the same you'd have a point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

DoubleDonut posted:

I like waiting for my pet to stand next to me when I'm trying to go downstairs so I don't leave them behind.

also slowly waiting around trying to get them to steal the thing you want from a shop

• Locked thread