Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

blowfish posted:

What's your budget?

I'd like not to spend more than £150.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Maugrim posted:

I'd like not to spend more than £150.

At that price level you're probably going best with a used card, GTX 970s should start showing up for 150£ used about now and the supply will go up significantly in the next 2 months.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gtx-970-asus-Strix-/201588389009?hash=item2eef9ab491:g:JxwAAOSwXSJXO2Sz

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

I'm trying to make a decent PC for my parents, while not spending a great deal. This is what I have so far:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor (£88.24 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock B85M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£53.08 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£26.91 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£69.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£29.99 @ Novatech)
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply (£32.99 @ Novatech)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£12.37 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £313.57
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-23 12:46 BST+0100

Does anything here stand out as massively foolish/wrong?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Killed By Death posted:

I'm trying to make a decent PC for my parents, while not spending a great deal. This is what I have so far:

Motherboard: ASRock B85M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£53.08 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£69.99 @ Amazon UK)

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor (£97.26 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: Asus B150M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£56.00 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: Kingston ValueRAM 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£25.59 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £324.19
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-23 13:25 BST+0100

updated momputer with skylake parts

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

peak debt posted:

At that price level you're probably going best with a used card, GTX 970s should start showing up for 150£ used about now and the supply will go up significantly in the next 2 months.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gtx-970-asus-Strix-/201588389009?hash=item2eef9ab491:g:JxwAAOSwXSJXO2Sz

Yeah I see, thanks! It looks like most of the ebay lots are heading well over 150 as they approach the end of the auction though.

Would a 960 do in a pinch? It's (barely) above official min spec for Doom and the 2GB versions are going for well under 150 in some places.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Maugrim posted:

Yeah I see, thanks! It looks like most of the ebay lots are heading well over 150 as they approach the end of the auction though.

Would a 960 do in a pinch? It's (barely) above official min spec for Doom and the 2GB versions are going for well under 150 in some places.

The 960 is in a bad price/performance spot and will be even worse off when you can get a used/refurb 970.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

We haven't gotten much news on AMDs new parts, which are targeting that price range, when that happens you should see the prices in that range drop fully to match them and/or be able to get one.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Thanks guys. Will keep an eye open for a good deal on a 970 then.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

That ASRock board is *still* out of stock. Any reason I can't use either of these instead?

MSI Arsenal Gaming Intel Z170A LGA 1151 DDR4 USB 3.1 Micro ATX Motherboard (Z170M Mortar)

Gigabyte LGA1151 Intel Z170 Micro ATX DDR4 Motherboards GA-Z170M-D3H

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Deviant posted:

That ASRock board is *still* out of stock. Any reason I can't use either of these instead?

MSI Arsenal Gaming Intel Z170A LGA 1151 DDR4 USB 3.1 Micro ATX Motherboard (Z170M Mortar)

Gigabyte LGA1151 Intel Z170 Micro ATX DDR4 Motherboards GA-Z170M-D3H

The MSI one should be fine as long as it has all the features you want. Not a fan of Gigabyte.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Killed By Death posted:

It looks ok, going for an i5-6100, a B150 mobo and DDR4-2133 RAM is a decent idea for the much better onboard GPU. But the main thing that stands out is that you should go for a better PSU, if this is for your parents it's likely to be around for years and years so I'd want to put in a high quality PSU that will last a long time, something with at least a five year warranty.

Rad Gravity
Mar 14, 2012

Rad Gravity posted:

The PSU in my dad's 8-year-old pc seems to be getting wonky, and I've finally managed to convince him that maybe it's time to just get a new machine, so:

What country are you in? Belgium
What are you using the system for? E-mail, web browsing (lots-of-open-tabs syndrome!), YouTube, Office
What's your budget? I'd like to keep it under €400, I did after all make the case that a custom build would be considerably cheaper than going the easy route of an equivalent pre-built machine.

Here's what I put together so far (using the German PartPicker site, prices will probably be a bit different from Belgian/Dutch vendors) :

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor (€118.02 @ Mindfactory)
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard (€80.85 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€28.27 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 110 Mini ITX Tower Case (€43.25 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: Silverstone 500W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply (€84.81 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €355.20
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-22 10:38 CEST+0200

Not sure about the PSU, 500W is obviously more than needed but but it's both small and modular, and those qualities don't seem to exist in lower-wattage models?

For storage I'll reuse the Samsung 840 Evo (250 GB) that I put into his old machine a while ago, and possibly also the original 1 TB harddrive from that pc (showing no signs of deterioration at 8 years of age, but otoh he has no use for that much storage so I'll probably leave it out anyway). No need for a graphics card I think (I assume the integrated graphics will handle dual 1080p monitors just fine). For the OS I'll probably find a cheapo Windows 7 or 8 license and upgrade to 10 (can you install Windows 10 directly using a Windows 7 product key these days?).

It would also be nice to have a front panel SD card reader, but it would probably be cheaper and easier to just use a USB device for that, right? Anyway, very much open to suggestions for improvements here!

Sorry for quoting myself, but I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on this so if anyone wants to stop me, now would be the time. I'm buying from a Dutch webshop where the total price for these parts will be around €370. I'm particularly wondering wether there might be any cheaper-but-just-as-good-for-my-purpose PSUs out there or if I should just stick with this one .

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The MSI one should be fine as long as it has all the features you want. Not a fan of Gigabyte.

I have an MSI currently, and I like their one touch overclock, so I'll order that one instead. Thanks. Got a USB 3.0 drive bay to take advantage of all the header slots too.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
What country are you in? - USA
What are you using the system for? Video games will be its most demanding use. Some light video editing on Adobe Premiere but just on a hobby basis.
What's your budget? $1,800 for the computer, Windows, and a monitor. I have all other peripherals as well as an optical drive and wireless adapter already. Note that I don't NEED to spend all $1,800, but that's how much I have available.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? - I want the ~$1,800 to include a 2560 x 1440 monitor (27") with good response times for gaming. I want to be able to have graphics as close to Ultra as I can get.

I know there's a new video card hotness coming out in ~1 month, but I would prefer not to wait for something because there is always something juuuuuust around the corner as far as I can tell. If I'm wrong and this is really a special circumstance where I'm dumb not to wait, please do let me know...

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What country are you in? - USA
What are you using the system for? Video games will be its most demanding use. Some light video editing on Adobe Premiere but just on a hobby basis.
What's your budget? $1,800 for the computer, Windows, and a monitor. I have all other peripherals as well as an optical drive and wireless adapter already. Note that I don't NEED to spend all $1,800, but that's how much I have available.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? - I want the ~$1,800 to include a 2560 x 1440 monitor (27") with good response times for gaming. I want to be able to have graphics as close to Ultra as I can get.

I know there's a new video card hotness coming out in ~1 month, but I would prefer not to wait for something because there is always something juuuuuust around the corner as far as I can tell. If I'm wrong and this is really a special circumstance where I'm dumb not to wait, please do let me know...

the gtx 1080 comes out this week and the 1070 in early june. definitely should wait.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

GPUs are pretty much a two year cycle and a new top end in the years between these days. Wait a week or three so the next two years (at least) are considerably better.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Alright, I guess I'm sold, since it's only "Waiting" 1-2 weeks?

Is a brand new, top of the market card even going to fit in my budget?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So I'm working on a new build. I plan to get an ATX Z170 motherboard.

Does anyone have any opinions on what brand to get? I know that hardware-wise they're mostly identical. I'm mostly asking in terms of BIOS ease of use, customer service quality, etc.

I really don't want to spend more than $150 for a board so it looks like EVGA is out of my price range, I'm mainly looking at ASUS, MSI, AsRock, and Gigabyte.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 23, 2016

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Alright, I guess I'm sold, since it's only "Waiting" 1-2 weeks?

Is a brand new, top of the market card even going to fit in my budget?

Worst case scenario is you pick up the next level down (980Ti or 970) for over $100 less than you'd pay today.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
That said, a full build with a GTX 1080 and Windows will run you about $1400 assuming you wait for cards cheaper than the $700 Founders' Edition. I don't know much about monitors but $400 should be more than enough for a decent 1440p one, right?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

HMS Boromir posted:

That said, a full build with a GTX 1080 and Windows will run you about $1400 assuming you wait for cards cheaper than the $700 Founders' Edition. I don't know much about monitors but $400 should be more than enough for a decent 1440p one, right?

Monitor thread made it sound like it was more along the lines of $700+ for a good 1440p...

Starting to sound like a GTX 1080 is not only out of my price range, but I'd actually be waiting an unknown amount of time for a non "Founders' Edition"?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Board partners are already teasing aftermarket cooler designs so you shouldn't be waiting longer than mid-June unless they're playing a seriously long Twitter game here. One hopes they'll also be a little less than $700. The monitor thread is indeed full of people buying $700 G-Sync monstrosities but I'm sure if you posted there informing them that you're not in fact made of money and are looking for a sub-$400 1440p monitor they'd hook you up with something good.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

HMS Boromir posted:

Board partners are already teasing aftermarket cooler designs so you shouldn't be waiting longer than mid-June unless they're playing a seriously long Twitter game here. One hopes they'll also be a little less than $700. The monitor thread is indeed full of people buying $700 G-Sync monstrosities but I'm sure if you posted there informing them that you're not in fact made of money and are looking for a sub-$400 1440p monitor they'd hook you up with something good.

Are people still recommending those Korean IPS monitors?

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Instant Sunrise posted:

Are people still recommending those Korean IPS monitors?

Yes. I managed to snag one on sale for $269 on green-sum two months ago. The only negative is they come on a horrible glass stem stand which you can replace with any type of vesa mounting stand with a little bit of work.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Those Koreans are still good, there's a worry that DVI will disappear from NV cards at some point and leave no upgrade path. It's already gone from AMD cards so you can't cross shop (although the monitor's cheap enough you're coming out ahead overall even if you buy slightly suboptimal cards because of it). Freesync and Gsync are also starting to get some more traction because it's really nice, even if Gsync isn't really price competitive.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Monitor thread made it sound like it was more along the lines of $700+ for a good 1440p...

Starting to sound like a GTX 1080 is not only out of my price range, but I'd actually be waiting an unknown amount of time for a non "Founders' Edition"?

$700+ is the absolutely top few, you can do well with some of the ones a step down, but the real important thing people were trying to get across is that you should scrimp from the card before the screen. If you want to come in under your number and want a cheaper screen recommendation to cross-shop, that's totally valid, but if it's a matter of looking to spend an amount where you can get a 1080 or an XB271HU but not both, you'll get pointed to the latter every time.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 24, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

$700 is a new 27" 1440p 144hz monitor with g-sync. Go with refurbs and you can find one for 400-500 if you're willing to play the "maybe send it back once or twice" game with Acer like with these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-Predator-XB1-27-WQHD-Monitor-2560x1440-XB271HU-bmiprz-/262374672683?hash=item3d16bfc92b (newer model)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-Display-27-144-Hz-2560x1440-WideSceen-LCD-Monitor-XB270HUBPRZ-/262441979198?hash=item3d1ac2cd3e

I'm holding off on getting a monitor until I have my computer stuff ordered but I'll probably try getting a refurbished XB 270 or 271 to use with the PC I'm going to build with a 1070 or 1080 depending on how the 1070's benchmarks look.

Basic 1440p monitors can be $200-250 new so if you don't care for high refresh rate, *-sync, or so on then it's not bad.

If I had to pick between a $400 monitor and $700 card, or $700 monitor and $400 card I'd go with the latter though since as mentioned earlier the monitor will still be good well after the card's obsolete.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I have a corsair 350D case (micro ATX) and am wondering if I should be concerned about space for this particular cooler:

http://www.amazon.com/CRYORIG-H7-Tower-Cooler-Intel/dp/B00S7YA5FQ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I'm guessing it won't be a problem but it seems like all the reviews are from people with full ATX cases.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Booyah- posted:

I have a corsair 350D case (micro ATX) and am wondering if I should be concerned about space for this particular cooler:

http://www.amazon.com/CRYORIG-H7-Tower-Cooler-Intel/dp/B00S7YA5FQ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I'm guessing it won't be a problem but it seems like all the reviews are from people with full ATX cases.

The max CPU cooler hight on the 350D is 160mm, the H7 is 145mm tall so it will fit with plenty of room to spare.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The max CPU cooler hight on the 350D is 160mm, the H7 is 145mm tall so it will fit with plenty of room to spare.

Cool, thanks for the help.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Edit: beaten, shouldn't leave the page open for 30 minutes before replying.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Techspot did a cool article on memory scaling up to 4000Mhz in a high end system. I've linked the gaming section there as I feel it's most relevant to the average user of this thread. Pretty incredibly, CPU intensive games showed improvements all the way up to 4000MHz. Definitely worth looking at 3000-3600MHz memory for people getting high end systems.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

BurritoJustice posted:

Techspot did a cool article on memory scaling up to 4000Mhz in a high end system. I've linked the gaming section there as I feel it's most relevant to the average user of this thread. Pretty incredibly, CPU intensive games showed improvements all the way up to 4000MHz. Definitely worth looking at 3000-3600MHz memory for people getting high end systems.

Yeah, ever since the Digital Foundry videos/articles, I've mentioned it in the thread before; and it is now a standard recommendation (if it's in your budget) to get Z170 boards and at least DDR4-3000.

It's kind of naughty that the H170 chipset doesn't support the faster RAM. This is surely one area AMD can compete in; not screwing over consumers by artificially limiting RAM clocks on a chipset.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm glad there's finally a few more data points. I decided on DDR4-3000 myself but felt a little iffy about it when it was basically just DigitalFoundry and the occasional "I told you so, it was like this with DDR3 too" forum post.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Just as a minor thing, but the computer build that I have should be able to connect up to the internet as usual anyway, right?

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock H170M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Kingston ValueRAM 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 380 2GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Monitor: Asus VC239H 60Hz 23.0" Monitor

Here are the stats on it.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

Josef bugman posted:

Just as a minor thing, but the computer build that I have should be able to connect up to the internet as usual anyway, right?

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Memory: Kingston ValueRAM 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 380 2GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Monitor: Asus VC239H 60Hz 23.0" Monitor

Here are the stats on it.

Yeah just plug in your ethernet cable, if you need to connect via wifi you need an adapter, USB og PCI-E.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
My PC is a couple years old now, but still runs quite well in most situations:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4 GHz
RAM: 8 GB RAM
Motherboard: ASRock H77M
Power Supply: Antec NeoECO 520W
GPU: Radeon HD 7850

Would it be feasible to swap out the video card for a 1070? Or would you guys recommend an entirely new build? I do plan on putting together a new PC sometime in the next ~6 months, but if I could get away with just upgrading the GPU right now then I'd like to do it.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

Ethernet on my Gigabyte LGA1151 Intel Z170 did not work right away with Windows 10. Had to install drivers for it first.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Daveski posted:

My PC is a couple years old now, but still runs quite well in most situations:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4 GHz
RAM: 8 GB RAM
Motherboard: ASRock H77M
Power Supply: Antec NeoECO 520W
GPU: Radeon HD 7850

Would it be feasible to swap out the video card for a 1070? Or would you guys recommend an entirely new build? I do plan on putting together a new PC sometime in the next ~6 months, but if I could get away with just upgrading the GPU right now then I'd like to do it.

Sure, slot in a 1070 and maybe replace that power supply since yours only has a 3 year warranty and is presumably getting on in years at this point.

As for the full build, you're in a bit of an awkward position. You have what is still a very good CPU that I normally would recommend keeping for a while still, but you're stuck on a motherboard that can't overclock it. You could get a pretty good boost if you get an overclock-capable motherboard to replace your current one, but a quick search on PCPartPicker indicates that there aren't really many of those left so it's probably not a great plan unless you know a friend who's looking to upgrade from an LGA 1155 overclocking machine.

If you do upgrade, don't bother with anything less than an i5-6600K+Z170 motherboard+aftermarket cooler for overclocking, or more likely the i5-7600K (or whatever they'll call it) which will probably be out by the time you buy your parts. You'd probably be disappointed by how little difference an upgrade to anything less would make. Either way, I wouldn't start making plans until you actually start noticing poor FPS in games that don't max out your graphics card. CPUs last a long time nowadays.

Oh, and grab an SSD if you don't have one yet. Samsung 850 EVO, 250/500 GB, won't do much for performance in games but it'll make them load faster and everything else will be more responsive.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jul 2, 2016

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

HMS Boromir posted:

Sure, slot in a 1070 and maybe replace that power supply since yours only has a 3 year warranty and is presumably getting on in years at this point.

Thanks, that's good advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Speaking of power supplies, this is nifty:

http://www.techpowerup.com/222708/fsp-readies-a-redundant-psu-for-standard-atx-desktops

A redundant PSU for standard ATX cases.