Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Both things happened re: the scars, and yes they do. The first night they just spooned but the next night they boned.

and

Oh man I completely missed that line somehow. Magic Dilz strikes again.

Incidentally that's the best argument for Elba as Roland. No white dude, short of maybe Jon Hamm or John Cena, is gonna credibly lay pipe like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
John Cena is cast as Eddie fyi

naem
May 29, 2011

Disney®© presents: Stephen King's: The Dark Tower©™ (brought to you by Gap™® no wrinkle cotton chinos and Dawn™®© America's FAVORITE dish detergent FOR OVER 30 years)

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

im reading dark tower for the first time

i really _REALLY_ enjoyed a lot of aspects of book 1

but what the gently caress why is book 2 so bad? i'm only half way through it but the entire time it's just been so corny and unimaginative, all the scenes so far are tedious and uninteresting, like he watched reservoir dogs and The Wire and wanted to shoehorn it into his wannabe tolkein universe that is quickly becoming shallow

does it get better? this is feeling increasingly like a King branded waste of time

naem
May 29, 2011

a cyberpunk goose posted:

but what the gently caress why is book 2 so bad? i'm only half way through it but the entire time it's just been so corny and unimaginative, all the scenes so far are tedious and uninteresting, like he watched reservoir dogs and The Wire and wanted to shoehorn it into his wannabe tolkein universe that is quickly becoming shallow

does it get better? this is feeling increasingly like a King branded waste of time

Every book has some really really good parts, and the insane sci-fi fantasy concepts the characters run into are great imagination fuel, but only the first book has one consistent tone and narrative you can follow.

If you imagine it as a loosely connected short story compilation it's less frustrating and you won't want to go run down Steve in a minivan (as much)

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

yes, wastelands is good and so is book IV

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
i, for one, am more interested in how they are going to film the extended scene where a rape ghost rapes susannah, until she starts to rape it back.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

i, for one, am more interested in how they are going to film the extended scene where a rape ghost rapes susannah, until she starts to rape it back.

I don't think I need to read these books anymore

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Thanks thread I found the answers I was looking for

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

naem posted:

Disney®© presents: Stephen King's: The Dark Tower©™ (brought to you by Gap™® no wrinkle cotton chinos and Dawn™®© America's FAVORITE dish detergent FOR OVER 30 years)

this makes sense in-universe if Disney and Gap and Dawn are from The Old People and no one remembers what they are

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Arrhythmia posted:

People have filmed worse and more graphic scenes. Just have the thing be invisible or a bunch of smoke and cover the naughty parts with strategically displaced clothing like they've been doing in movies since forever.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Good to see an empowered minority like Susanna who knows how to lay back and enjoy it

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

naem posted:

oh god no

now this is the rape scene i could do without

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

how long will the lobster scene be

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

I think you're nuts I loved the weird dimension travel doors and book 3 is just

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Trunko posted:

Good to see an empowered minority like Susanna who knows how to lay back and enjoy it

Gets her pregnant, too. The baby (or "chap") is supposedly Hongry.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Trunko posted:

This is a treacherous, baseless, and intellectually dishonest slander on King's writing. She doesn't lay back and enjoy it, she takes everything it's got to give and gives it more than it can take. She out-fucks the gently caress demon.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

scuba school sucks posted:

This is a treacherous, baseless, and intellectually dishonest slander on King's writing. She doesn't lay back and enjoy it, she takes everything it's got to give and gives it more than it can take. She out-fucks the gently caress demon.

Eddie must have been downright *comatose* after some evenings were over.

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's

Cosmik Slop posted:

Gets her pregnant, too. The baby (or "chap") is supposedly Hongry.

and its rolands baby from making love to a gender swapping ghost that doesnt change its underwears

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

SorePotato posted:

how long will the lobster scene be

2 1/2 books

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

that book came out in 87 are you retarded

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Are you not? The gently caress are you doing posting here then?

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

scuba school sucks posted:

Are you not? The gently caress are you doing posting here then?

im roont :)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I hope most of these concerns will be addressed by not having a second movie

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Professor Shark posted:

I hope most of these concerns will be addressed by not having a second movie

I hope there's like 10. Each more ludicrous than the one before it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I'd honestly be surprised if it lasts more than one large budget movie. Just try describing the plot of the dark tower to someone and they will probably say "that is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard". I mean we all who have read the things know it's a great story, but it's a little too "out there" to be widely accessible I think. If sequels do get made they will probably be direct to SyFy specials.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It's going to be really sad watching the DT series fail again and drag Idris Elba with it

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

readingatwork posted:

and then once the story finally wraps up, how long before a reboot which is another cycle from the beach to the tower? thats another 8-12 movies

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

He had the horn this time but he forgot to sing all their names, whoops, see you in 2036 for the reboot/sequel!

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

readingatwork posted:

10 reboots in series

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Honestly it'd be better if every movie he makes it to the tower just to get rebooted. One movie or twenty they should still do it like that

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

the dark & gritty groundhogs day remake that we never asked for

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

the dark & gritty groundhogs day remake that we never asked for

actually it's this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLe_qO4AE-M

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
OK I'm starting this fifth book and now the crippled black woman whos super power is getting raped is swimming around in swamp naked and biting the heads of of frogs while the author-stand-in Roland watches with a fullness in his pants

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
I'm starting to think there might be something off about this Steven King fellow.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

Trunko posted:

OK I'm starting this fifth book and now the crippled black woman whos super power is getting raped is swimming around in swamp naked and biting the heads of of frogs while the author-stand-in Roland watches with a fullness in his pants

thats like one of the best parts
my boner is a hongry

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Dark Tower is basically The Simpsons by the end, more bad memories than good

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

Professor Shark posted:

The Dark Tower is basically The Simpsons by the end...

Professor Shark posted:

...more bad memories than good

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Hah check out his hair magically turning from blue to brown and back. Thanks Korean slave labor animators!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Trunko posted:

lmao "author-stand-in Roland" buddy i can not wait

• Locked thread